PDA

View Full Version : Hunger Games

JoeChalupa
03-23-2012, 11:14 AM
So I see this movie is breaking records and stuff and is also based on book like Twilight. What is all the hype about? How many of you all will be going this weekend?

JoeChalupa
03-23-2012, 11:23 AM
So I guess this movie is big everywhere but here. buh

Fpoonsie
A friend kept pushing me to read the first book, so I read it yesterday.

Entertaining enough, and I'll prolly see the flick, but it's already looking like a Team this guy/Team that guy fiasco.

Fpoonsie
So I guess this movie is big everywhere but here. buh

You posted the thread 9 mins ago.

Don't be a faggot.

Spurminator
03-23-2012, 11:39 AM
I'll see it, but hell if it's going to be on opening weekend surrounded by high schoolers.

RaZon
03-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Hollywood needs to do the Elric of Melniborne stories. The albino prince and his vampiric runesword Stormbringer, tailor made for the big screen.

Trainwreck2100
03-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Another movie franchise for dumbass women

NASpurs
03-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Read Battle Royale instead.

It's meant for adults instead of high school girls.

PakiDan
03-23-2012, 12:17 PM
So I see this movie is breaking records and stuff and is also based on book like Twilight. What is all the hype about? How many of you all will be going this weekend?

The Hunger Games is not based on the Twilight book. :lol oh... you said LIKE Twilight... my bad!

JoeChalupa
03-23-2012, 12:20 PM
You posted the thread 9 mins ago.

Don't be a faggot.

I don't smoke so leave cigarettes out of this thread dumbass.

JoeChalupa
03-23-2012, 12:21 PM
The Hunger Games is not based on the Twilight book. :lol

Duh...I knew that. :lol I'm not TOEtally clueless. totally

Fpoonsie
03-23-2012, 12:22 PM
I don't smoke so leave cigarettes out of this thread dumbass.

Pretty sure pego wouldn't even laugh at this had hemann posted it.

MavDynasty
03-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Was forced to read it for junior english back in HS and the book was really good tbh, more of an adventure/survival thing than a twilight bullshit love story thing. Will prob see the movie sometime because apparently its the next best thing according to my fb..:lol

TimmehC
03-23-2012, 12:55 PM
It's an unofficial DeJuan Blair biography.

PakiDan
03-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Duh...I knew that. :lol I'm not TOEtally clueless. totally

Hahahaha!!!:lol :lol :lol :downspin:

MannyIsGod
03-23-2012, 03:52 PM
I'll see it, but hell if it's going to be on opening weekend surrounded by high schoolers.

Went to a midnight showing last night (first midnight showing I've been to in like a decade) and indeed, the high school age people there put a damper on certain parts of the movie. It was a pretty good movie though. Worth seeing.

cantthinkofanything
03-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Went to a midnight showing last night (first midnight showing I've been to in like a decade) and indeed, the high school age people there put a damper on certain parts of the movie. It was a pretty good movie though. Worth seeing.

My 11 year old daughter wants to see it. I probably won't make the decision solely on your response. But what's your thoughts to the age appropriateness?

MannyIsGod
03-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Its VERY PG13. Its very toned down for a younger audience than what it could have been. There's violence throughout the movie, but its not graphic.

If I had an 11 year daughter I would likely let her see it.

BlackSwordsMan
03-23-2012, 05:09 PM
How is this PG-13? Its a movie about kids killing kids. So shitty they toned it down for little fucking kids

Fpoonsie
03-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Just saw it, actually.

Meh.

redzero
03-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Just saw it, actually.

Meh.

Was Mystique hot in it?

Fpoonsie
03-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Was Mystique hot in it?

Yeah, she was ridiculously hot. She has a Baby Doll in Suckerpunch quality to her.

CubanSucks
03-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Yeah, she was ridiculously hot. She has a Baby Doll in Suckerpunch quality to her.

except she's constantly in those shitty full body suits though, right?

Fpoonsie
03-23-2012, 06:57 PM
except she's constantly in those shitty full body suits though, right?

She has a few scenes in some dresses, pre and post, um, Games.

CubanSucks
03-23-2012, 06:58 PM
did you cum?

Fpoonsie
03-23-2012, 06:59 PM
No.

MavDynasty
03-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Lol

JoeChalupa
03-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Just saw it, actually.

Meh.

But you went to see it.

cantthinkofanything
03-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Its VERY PG13. Its very toned down for a younger audience than what it could have been. There's violence throughout the movie, but its not graphic.

If I had an 11 year daughter I would likely let her see it.

Thanks. I'll have to think on it. She enjoyed Scarface but I don't think she was able to integrate the story with the socio-economic issues affecting Cuban defectors in the 80's.

Reck
03-23-2012, 11:19 PM
I'll stick to the books, thank you.

MannyIsGod
03-23-2012, 11:34 PM
Thanks. I'll have to think on it. She enjoyed Scarface but I don't think she was able to integrate the story with the socio-economic issues affecting Cuban defectors in the 80's.

:lmao

cantthinkofanything
03-23-2012, 11:37 PM
:lmao

but seriously...thanks for the feedback. some of her friends are getting to see it.

JoeChalupa
03-24-2012, 06:56 AM
but seriously...thanks for the feedback. some of her friends are getting to see it.

I concur. My 12 year old wants to see it.

Fpoonsie
03-24-2012, 12:42 PM
...and I'll prolly see the flick...

Just saw it, actually.

But you went to see it.

Can't get anything past you.

Muser
03-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Saw it today, very average IMO. Anything good the movie does is let down by the awful fight scenes.

Fabbs
03-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Just saw it, actually.

Meh.
FPoonsie would you mind giving your age? Make it real or within say + - 5 years.
I'm just wondering if any non teenagers have seen and posted on it.
edit Muser you just posted as i was writing this.......

MaNuMaNiAc
04-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Just saw it... most overrated piece of crap I've seen in a long time. The plot was promising until they turned it into a 13 year old's chick flick. Jesus, is there no end to hollywood pandering to that dumbass crowd?

FuzzyLumpkins
04-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Just saw it... most overrated piece of crap I've seen in a long time. The plot was promising until they turned it into a 13 year old's chick flick. Jesus, is there no end to hollywood pandering to that dumbass crowd?

Just shut up and eat the berries.

MannyIsGod
04-05-2012, 01:31 AM

You do realize it was based on a young adult book, right?

CubanSucks
04-05-2012, 02:01 AM

I thought the books were aimed at young women, as in 18-30? He described it as Twilight-esque type movie. Just tryin to get the info so I can form an opinion without actually reading or watching it

Kai
04-05-2012, 02:08 AM
Shit was dumb as fuck. Facepalmed multiple times.

MannyIsGod
04-05-2012, 02:21 AM
I thought the books were aimed at young women, as in 18-30? He described it as Twilight-esque type movie. Just tryin to get the info so I can form an opinion without actually reading or watching it

Its a young adult book, which is the same age genre as twighlight.

CubanSucks
04-05-2012, 02:50 AM
Its a young adult book, which is the same age genre as twighlight.

the books are aimed for young adults but manumaniac was complaining that the movie turned into a teeny chick flick. But I don't think of a book for young adults and 13 year old's chick flicks as the same thing like you seem to

JoeChalupa
04-05-2012, 06:57 AM

"Popular" is not the same as being a critically acclaimed movie. There are also some critically acclaimed movies that are not "popular" amongst movie goers.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-05-2012, 08:55 AM

I did not tbh. Still, how does a movie like that end up breaking box office records? Did everyone make the same mistake I did? or is this type of crap becoming popular across the board?

I should really start reading reviews before I blindly follow my girl into the movies...

To be fair though, everybody was hyping the movie like it was something out of the ordinary.

Spurminator
04-05-2012, 09:21 AM
I did not tbh. Still, how does a movie like that end up breaking box office records? Did everyone make the same mistake I did? or is this type of crap becoming popular across the board?

I should really start reading reviews before I blindly follow my girl into the movies...

To be fair though, everybody was hyping the movie like it was something out of the ordinary.

The reviews have generally been very good, so not sure that would have helped you.

I didn't think the movie was box-office-record great, but I did think it was good. I didn't think they overplayed the love-story stuff any more than they had to... That part of it is pretty essential to the story since it's how they get the viewers/sponsors to pull for them.

Hopefully they use some of the money they made on this one to improve the CGI on the next one. Some of those crowd scenes were horrible, especially the parade near the beginning.

Muser
04-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Yeah this is nowhere near twilight. There's a love story in it which is the only real similarity.

MannyIsGod
04-05-2012, 10:33 AM
the books are aimed for young adults but manumaniac was complaining that the movie turned into a teeny chick flick. But I don't think of a book for young adults and 13 year old's chick flicks as the same thing like you seem to

Well, I don't think they turned it into a "teenage chick flick" at all. I don't think eh does he other, as I took that as hyperbole. The love story was in there, and I figured he was talking about how they did it, and I think it could have been done better but I knew there were elements of that going in so it didn't surprise me as it did him.

MannyIsGod
04-05-2012, 10:36 AM

I think you'll probably like it more on a second watch now that you know what to expect. I thought it was pretty good, and I thought the scenes in particular before the love story were actually fairly strong.

From what Jess explained to me, the love story is fairly different in the books. They go more into detail about how it evolved as opposed to what they can show in the movie, so with that background I probably accepted it a lot more.

I agree with Sprum, I thought it was a good movie but not the most amazing I've seen. Seems like there's been a serious lack of quality movies for me to watch the past year, though. At least beyond the blockbuster type flicks. Nothing with much substance.

JoeChalupa
04-05-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm glad I'm just a simple plain mustard kind of movie critic. It seems to me that if I analyze a movie too much it ruins it for me.

VBM
04-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Read Battle Royale instead.

It's meant for adults instead of high school girls.

oi_gwJgtrIs

So good.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-05-2012, 01:43 PM
I liked it. It's not as love story mushy as others claim. Perhaps the book is more love story but t movie didn't over do it or I'd have not liked it.
The suspense and action was tight.
When that dude from district one slashed that kid in the face with a sword is gif worthy.

It would have been one of the best movies I seen recently had it been rates R and shown more blood, gore, and a katniss boob or two

JoeChalupa
04-05-2012, 01:47 PM
damnit!! where is the spoiler alert!!!

JoeChalupa
04-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Watched it over the weekend. I thought it had some slow parts and I think reading the book would be better.

Blake
04-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Yeah, it dragged on in a lot of places. The movie would have been better had it been shorter.

TheMACHINE
04-09-2012, 12:25 PM
i watched it last night. It didn't have as much psychological situations as I wanted. I try not to compare it to "Battle Royale"....but I can't help it, BR situations just make you go "wtf". lol