PDA

View Full Version : Contenders

benefactor
03-23-2012, 09:47 PM
...as in real contenders. That's a statement I have not made about the Spurs in a very long time. If they are full strength when the playoffs roll around, it's gg NBA.

spurspokesman
03-23-2012, 09:50 PM
...as in real contenders. That's a statement I have not made about the Spurs in a very long time. If they are full strength when the playoffs roll around, it's gg NBA.

If Diaw commits to being in shape and we can keep a healthy pg i concur:toast. cuz neal scares the hell out of me at the pg spot

spurs1990
03-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Funny thing is your statement applies to every single season for the last 10 years. They just haven't been healthy when the playoffs started.

Skip Bayless has convinced me if Manu was full strength in 2011 the Spurs would have been contenders.

spursfan1000
03-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Since 2008 I havent thought of the Spurs are true contenders, but this year this team is special. They have flew by expectations, also adding Diaw and Jackson not only added depth they added playoff experience and toughness. Spurs if healthy are not going to be easy to beat.

benefactor
03-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Funny thing is your statement applies to every single season for the last 10 years. They just haven't been healthy when the playoffs started.

Skip Bayless has convinced me if Manu was full strength in 2011 the Spurs would have been contenders.
Not really. That team was still depending on Blair and Bonner to play a big role in getting them there. That wasn't going to happen. They haven't been true contenders since the '07 title tbh.

TE
03-23-2012, 09:59 PM

:lol Skip Bayless convincing you of anything.

On the real though, the Spurs look better than they have looked in the last 4-5 years or so from a talent standpoint.

jon123spurs
03-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Yea i really like this team we are stacked in all our positions and we are starting to get better defensively that's what matters most so once we get healthy I think we are the favorites in the west Go Spurs Go!!!

benefactor
03-23-2012, 10:01 PM
There is also the fact that the West is really a toss up. OKC is the only true front runner and they are beatable.

spurspokesman
03-23-2012, 10:03 PM
There is also the fact that the West is really a toss up. OKC is the only true front runner and they are beatable.

They are more talented but we are to them what memphis was to us. Just a bad style matchup.

GSH
03-23-2012, 10:03 PM
I wanted to start another thread, but this is a good place for it. Flash back to the pre-season threads. Nobody saw this coming.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-23-2012, 10:04 PM
I need to see a little more time with how the defense gets and how the Spurs will handle teams with size.

Definitely the most optimistic to be about the Spurs in years though.

bigfan
03-23-2012, 10:06 PM

Bayless is a contender at the neighborhood glory hole.

spurspokesman
03-23-2012, 10:09 PM
it feels good to flirt with the word contender. better than sex with an ex

benefactor
03-23-2012, 10:10 PM
I think they can offset a lot of the interior size differences with superior length on the perimeter and superior team rebounding. Bigger teams on the inside will still give them problems, but the Spurs depth will carry them.

100%duncan
03-23-2012, 10:12 PM
:lol Skip Bayless convincing you of anything.

On the real though, the Spurs look better than they have looked in the last 4-5 years or so from a talent standpoint.

rascal
03-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Not really. That team was still depending on Blair and Bonner to play a big role in getting them there. That wasn't going to happen. They haven't been true contenders since the '07 title tbh.

That is still the case this year.

benefactor
03-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Shut up, faggot.

Spurs9
03-23-2012, 10:19 PM
I thought we would go farther last year, not necessarily to the finals though. I'm feeling the same effect as the previous championship years. These last 2 players we added were critical. Cya all at finals in JUNE

pgardn
03-23-2012, 10:19 PM
I will wait till we have played the Lakers a few times and see how we handle their size.

West is still a tossup. We were contenders when the season started as Dallas gambled on a Howard/Williams combo for next season and really gutted themselves this year.

If we handle the Lakers then I will be a bit more confident. OKC is definitely beatable.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Shut up, faggot.

:lol

benefactor
03-23-2012, 10:22 PM
I will wait till we have played the Lakers a few times and see how we handle their size.

West is still a tossup. We were contenders when the season started as Dallas gambled on a Howard/Williams combo for next season and really gutted themselves this year.

If we handle the Lakers then I will be a bit more confident. OKC is definitely beatable.
The Lakers mystique is gone. Yes, they still have Gasol and Bynum but losing Odom and Fisher puts them out of championship contention imo. They Spurs would overwhelm them with their depth in a seven game series.

MmP
03-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Let's not jump into anything but gotta admit i feel encouraged by this team, a feeling that i didn't have 2 weeks ago.
Last year collapse made me thing that anything can happen, especially in the west by I trust this team

100%duncan
03-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Hello Month of June

benefactor
03-23-2012, 10:33 PM
I had an exchange with ElNono back in December in a thread about winning it all. I said they wouldn't and he said there was still time to make a move. This was my reply:

There is...but it would have to be a Clyde Drexler for Otis Thorpe type move. I just can't see this FO making a move like that happen.
The FO has this type of move in shipping out RJ and bringing in Buckets and Diaw. I would agree with those who say this team still has some flaws, but in looking at the rest of the West I don't see a team that I can say is better than this Spurs team. Health is now the key.

100%duncan
03-23-2012, 10:36 PM
I had an exchange with ElNono back in December in a thread about winning it all. I said they wouldn't and he said there was still time to make a move. This was my reply:

The FO has this type of move in shipping out RJ and bringing in Buckets and Diaw. I would agree with those who say this team still has some flaws, but in looking at the rest of the West I don't see a team that I can say is better than this Spurs team. Health is now the key.

Yep, we already taken care of the mavs and okc, just the lakers. And also the first round opponents are always dangerous but with this depth....

pgardn
03-23-2012, 10:43 PM
The Lakers mystique is gone. Yes, they still have Gasol and Bynum but losing Odom and Fisher puts them out of championship contention imo. They Spurs would overwhelm them with their depth in a seven game series.

Hoping Sessions is a mistake like Blake. The fact that they play Metta World Nut so much gives me hope you are right. They got no bench. But Kobe... and then every other night Gasol or Bynum or both...

Hope you are right because I loathe this group.

The_Worlds_finest
03-23-2012, 10:44 PM

Spurs are a match up nightmare for every team in the league.

The_Worlds_finest
03-23-2012, 10:46 PM

Gasol and Bynum are to big and slow for our super hybrid team.

HarlemHeat37
03-23-2012, 10:58 PM
I haven't believed in the Spurs since '08, but as I said at the beginning of the year, this current team has the best shot at a title since '07..at the time, I said that due to the weak state of the West..

The West is still weak, but the Spurs didn't rely on the weakness of the conference to contend, they have actually made moves to improve the team..

The West has 3 top teams: Thunder, Spurs, Lakers..and 2 wildcard teams: Mavs, Grizzlies..

Spurs match up very well with OKC..as for the Lakers, while their size will overwhelm the Spurs, they are at a severe disadvantage on the perimeter, in depth and athleticism, against the Spurs..

If Diaw is motivated and plays well enough to negate Blair and/or Bonner, this could be the best team in the West, tbh..

DPG21920
03-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Even if healthy the spurs still have zero margin for error. Spurs have to avoid playing more than one of the following: LA, DAL & MEM. Playing two from that group would likely be too much in addition to likely having to go through OKC.

HarlemHeat37
03-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Even if healthy the spurs still have zero margin for error. Spurs have to avoid playing more than one of the following: LA, DAL & MEM. Playing two from that group would likely be too much in addition to likely having to go through OKC.

You could say the same about those teams, too, though..

None of the teams in the West are great IMO..

Man In Black
03-23-2012, 11:09 PM
CONTENDERS

It's easy. With the kind of depth they Spurs had and then just brought in. Pop has the most tools he's ever had in his Swiss Army Knife of a system.
The only one he's missing is the venerable defensive stretch 4. But truthfully, the Spurs don't need that to win the title. Should Manu go down again, the Jackson being back gives them what's need(albeit differently) to push them past opponents. It's Finals or bust and my Spurs need an EVEN YEAR TITLE.
:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2: and for 2012?-> :lobt2:

crc21209
03-23-2012, 11:15 PM
I haven't believed in the Spurs since '08, but as I said at the beginning of the year, this current team has the best shot at a title since '07..at the time, I said that due to the weak state of the West..

The West is still weak, but the Spurs didn't rely on the weakness of the conference to contend, they have actually made moves to improve the team..

The West has 3 top teams: Thunder, Spurs, Lakers..and 2 wildcard teams: Mavs, Grizzlies..

Spurs match up very well with OKC..as for the Lakers, while their size will overwhelm the Spurs, they are at a severe disadvantage on the perimeter, in depth and athleticism, against the Spurs..

If Diaw is motivated and plays well enough to negate Blair and/or Bonner, this could be the best team in the West, tbh..

+1. This is the best I have felt about the Spurs since 07'-08'. What a difference a year makes. We went from Hill, Jefferson, and an aging McDyess to Leonard, Jackson, Splitter, Diaw, and throw Green in there too. We're so deep on the wings this year both offensively AND defensively compared to last year. We can throw an offensive line-up of TP, Manu/Neal, Jackson, Diaw and Duncan. Or we can throw a defensive line-up of TP, Manu/Green, Leonard, Duncan, and Splitter. Hell even a small-ball line-up of TP, Manu, Jackson, Leonard and Duncan sounds good. Should they stay healthy, this could be a very, very interesting playoff run....

Old School 44
03-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Probably the Spurs deepest team ever.
I doubt if they care, and I don't think it really matters, but I believe the Spurs will catch OKC for the top seed. I also wouldn't be surprised if their point differential skyrockets as we move towards the end of the season.

Man In Black
03-23-2012, 11:26 PM
One thing for sure, integration doesn't seem to be an issue with this team. EGO has been tossed by the wayside and well...It just goes to show that TEAM means more than Individual.

Man In Black
03-23-2012, 11:26 PM
One thing for sure, integration doesn't seem to be an issue with this team. EGO has been tossed by the wayside and well...It just goes to show that TEAM means more than Individual.

ace3g
03-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Jeff McDonald ‏ @JMcDonald_SAEN

Close

Tim Duncan says flurry of roster moves has sent unmistakable message to Spurs locker room: "We're trying to win this thing."

Mel_13
03-23-2012, 11:45 PM

Close

Tim Duncan says flurry of roster moves has sent unmistakable message to Spurs locker room: "We're trying to win this thing."

:hungry:

crc21209
03-23-2012, 11:45 PM

Close

Timmy, Manu, and Tony gotta feel pretty damn good about this roster. This is probably the deepest team they've had in 3 or 4 years. You know Timmy wants to win 1 more ring badly.....

ace3g
03-23-2012, 11:52 PM
24writer ‏ @24writer

Close

Manu knows #Spurs are definetly making a run for June this season: "I don’t remember adding three guys at this time in the season, ever."

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-23-2012, 11:54 PM
I'm thinking the same thing - we are now true contenders, can match up with anyone, and give them nightmares with what we can put on the court. We need to lift the D a notch and get the rotations right, but I see us making the WCFs at the very least (as long as the team stays relatively healthy).

TE
03-23-2012, 11:57 PM
If healthy going into the postseason, I feel very good about this Spurs squad chances...

Splits
03-24-2012, 12:00 AM
I just put $200 on the Spurs to win the thing at 15-1 odds. Can't wait to collect

Richie
03-24-2012, 12:05 AM
Can we beat Chicago or Miami in a 7 game series? I'm not sure. We can definitely win the west though if Pop plays Splitter big minutes against the likes of LA and Memphis

Spurs da champs
03-24-2012, 12:06 AM
If healthy going into the postseason, I feel very good about this Spurs squad chances...
I don't know the Lakers are looking pretty damn scary & if Pop doesn't realize Tim can't defend 2 people at once then we're screwed!

ElNono
03-24-2012, 12:23 AM
I'm not sold yet simply on the fact that Blair/Bonner are still with the team, which means they could still be asked and put in a situation where they play important roles (I suspect less so wrt Blair).

Ejecting RJ AND adding Jack in exchange was half of the road to recovery.

All in all, this is a better, more talented team that started the season. I'm still skeptical in how the minutes are going to get distributed, because you know that sooner rather than later rotations will have to be set, they will involve less players, and those selected will be handed big roles. So let's get there, and then I'll tell you what I think about the playoffs.

Sean Cagney
03-24-2012, 12:28 AM
i'm not sold yet simply on the fact that blair/bonner are still with the team, which means they could still be asked and put in a situation where they play important roles (i suspect less so wrt blair).

Ejecting rj and adding jack in exchange was half of the road to recovery.

All in all, this is a better, more talented team that started the season. I'm still skeptical in how the minutes are going to get distributed, because you know that sooner rather than later rotations will have to be set, they will involve less players, and those selected will be handed big roles. So let's get there, and then i'll tell you what i think about the playoffs.

i like this post here!

spursince#99
03-24-2012, 12:33 AM
If we catch OKC for the #1 seed then you can pencil us in for the finals as OKC will much likely have to play L.A which will soften either of the two up as the try to take each others heads off. However, that really doesn't matter to me as I feel we can definitely take them with that #1 seed anyway tbh

therealtruth
03-24-2012, 12:42 AM
I don't know the Lakers are looking pretty damn scary & if Pop doesn't realize Tim can't defend 2 people at once then we're screwed!

I think he would be forced to start Splitter against a frontline like the Lakers or Grizzlies. That would pretty much neutralize their frontline as much as possible. That's the advantage Dallas had with Dirk/Tyson plus they had Haywood coming of the bench.

TJastal
03-24-2012, 12:54 AM
I need to see a little more time with how the defense gets and how the Spurs will handle teams with size.

Definitely the most optimistic to be about the Spurs in years though.

+1

The lack of size and Pop's affinity for smaller balls combined with his allergic reaction whenever the subject of Tim and Tiago is brought up could very easily be exploited come playoff time.

mingus
03-24-2012, 01:24 AM
It goes without saying we need to be healthy. I think the most important think aside from that is franchise point guard play from Parker. He needs to continue to play at the level he is playing. He needs to be one of the 2 best players on the court consistently, and I think he can continue to do that.

DrSteffo
03-24-2012, 02:45 AM

Agreed. :toast Seems like they are having fun out there too now which is great to see.

therealtruth
03-24-2012, 03:08 AM
Gasol and Bynum are to big and slow for our super hybrid team.

They added Sessions which will allow them to play faster.

jiggy_55
03-24-2012, 03:19 AM
The best thing about this team right now is that even if we rest Duncan, Manu, or even Parker I can still see us winning most games and doing fairly well. The team is deep enough to handle a few injuries or a few nights of Pop resting some players.

Parker out? Sure you have Neal, Manu, Green, Jack and others (Mills when he arrives) who can fill in part-time.
Manu out? No problem, Neal, Green, Jack, Leonard can all fill in very well.
Duncan out? Sure you lose the team's defensive anchor, but you still have enough talented big men to play well enough with the likes of Splitter, Bonner, Diaw and Blair.

Agree with the OP, YES the Spurs are now contenders. Especially out in the West with no clear-cut favorite, I expect the Spurs to make it at least to the WCF. If the added pieces continue to blossom in the Spurs system, there's no reason not to believe this team can't win it all with the depth we have, even against the likes of the Heat or Bulls in the Finals. I absolutely love it!

mystargtr34
03-24-2012, 04:06 AM
Agree 100% with Benfactor. This is the first time i can envision the Spurs winning the championship since 2008.

Even last season.. while i didnt expect a first round exit.. i never felt the team could truly compete with the best.

This team looks special.

therealtruth
03-24-2012, 05:19 AM
I would still like the team to fill the frontcourt hole somehow. However I like the team's versatility. This is probably the most versatile Spurs team ever. You have several players that can play multiple positions effectively.

benefactor
03-24-2012, 07:19 AM
I'm not sold yet simply on the fact that Blair/Bonner are still with the team, which means they could still be asked and put in a situation where they play important roles (I suspect less so wrt Blair).

Ejecting RJ AND adding Jack in exchange was half of the road to recovery.

All in all, this is a better, more talented team that started the season. I'm still skeptical in how the minutes are going to get distributed, because you know that sooner rather than later rotations will have to be set, they will involve less players, and those selected will be handed big roles. So let's get there, and then I'll tell you what I think about the playoffs.
As far as rotation goes I think this year will be different than any other year. As we know, Pop usually shortens the rotation to get ready for the post season...and the Big 3 usually see a minute increase. This usually happens out of necessity as there are only so many players on the roster that can be trusted to give minutes to alongside TD/TP/Manu. That's not the case this year. There are so many effective weapons on the team right now and so many players that could be useful in different match ups that I think he almost has to go 10 deep.

It will be interesting to watch. In the past there's always been a pretty good feel about who Pop trusts as the post season approaches. Right now he has so much good depth at his disposal that he can basically plug in a quality player on the fly depending on what type of match up he is dealing with. I think this is what we will see and what has to happen in the playoffs this year for them to win it all.

100%duncan
03-24-2012, 08:14 AM
Agree 100% with Benfactor. This is the first time i can envision the Spurs winning the championship since 2008.

Even last season.. while i didnt expect a first round exit.. i never felt the team could truly compete with the best.

This team looks special.

+1 exactly my feelings

rascal
03-24-2012, 10:29 AM

Sessions is better than Fisher.

rascal
03-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Can we beat Chicago or Miami in a 7 game series? I'm not sure. We can definitely win the west though if Pop plays Splitter big minutes against the likes of LA and Memphis

The Spurs will never lose an NBA finals.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
03-24-2012, 12:16 PM

Close

If this quote is from the video interview of Tim Duncan, then it seemed more like the reporter posing the scenario to the player, then hoping for Tim to agree. I can't stand this style of journalism. Simple questions allow complex answers. Complex questions beg for simple answers.

therealtruth
03-24-2012, 03:17 PM
This is the more stacked Spurs team since the 03 team. I don't know if they could beat Chicago in a 7 game series, but if Popovich puts a Parker-Ginobili-Leonard-Duncan-Splitter line up, don't find it strange to watch a riverwalk parade in June. It's now or never for the Spurs

Parker-Ginobili-Leonard-Duncan-Splitter

To me that's the lineup that can get it done. Pop has to maximize it.

03-24-2012, 03:18 PM
imagine if tj ford stayed healthy... oh man...

spursince#99
03-24-2012, 03:22 PM
[Q024;5725698UOTE=]imagine if tj ford stayed healthy... oh man...[/QUOTE]

Dude Patty Mills is better than TJ. He can distribute the ball just as well except he's a better scorer and defender. He is slower but that doesn't hurt much.

sinok
03-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Parker-Ginobili-Leonard-Duncan-Splitter

To me that's the lineup that can get it done. Pop has to maximize it.

How does the second unit protect the rim if you use this starting lineup?

Plus, IMO, Diaw's skillset matches quite effectively the first unit one, he is a offense facilitator with top notch passing skills, decent defender(though undersized), could mesh quite well with timmy, set nice screens (parker and manu will love that) and Kawhi makes up for his so-so rebounding rate...

TheSkeptic
03-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Just because Splitter's in the first unit doesn't mean he's banned from playing with the bench.

"Defense wins championships" isn't just a nice catchphrase. By starting the Twin Towers 2.0 (or 1.5 if you prefer), at the very least the Spurs can platoon Tim and Tiago for a prime Duncan+okay player in the frontcourt-like effect. Tell the wings to force people either baseline or inside if they get beat and start breaking opponents from the opening tip.

Then sub accordingly. If Diaw can be solid on defense then it's really only the Bonner line-up that'll be compromised on that end of the floor. Limit Matt's minutes and the rest will sort itself out.

ElNono
03-24-2012, 04:26 PM
As far as rotation goes I think this year will be different than any other year. As we know, Pop usually shortens the rotation to get ready for the post season...and the Big 3 usually see a minute increase. This usually happens out of necessity as there are only so many players on the roster that can be trusted to give minutes to alongside TD/TP/Manu. That's not the case this year. There are so many effective weapons on the team right now and so many players that could be useful in different match ups that I think he almost has to go 10 deep.

It will be interesting to watch. In the past there's always been a pretty good feel about who Pop trusts as the post season approaches. Right now he has so much good depth at his disposal that he can basically plug in a quality player on the fly depending on what type of match up he is dealing with. I think this is what we will see and what has to happen in the playoffs this year for them to win it all.

Agreed with the interesting to watch part. The talent is there. However, being deep might not mean much if you don't hand out the minutes. And that's why I reserve judgement until we see what kind of rotations we're going to put out there. I still remember washed up Finley over George Hill or Tiago only starting to see minutes after two games in a series went by while getting murdered inside. So the skepticism isn't necessarily unfounded.

I do think everyone is more or less ready, something that was not the case last season. A byproduct of the injuries and the compressed season, no doubt. There's also less turds to hand minutes too, another plus.

Ultimately, I think their chances will have a lot to do with the kind of strides they make defensively in these last 15 games or so. We just can't be rank at the bottom and pretend to make a deep run. You need stops to win games.

silverblk mystix
03-24-2012, 04:53 PM
I would say that the defense is definitely improving-but not there yet.

If the defense develops an edge and you begin to see some "nastiness"...then I will believe the Spurs are title contenders.

Right now....not there yet.

Let's get that defense tight asap.

therealtruth
03-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Just because Splitter's in the first unit doesn't mean he's banned from playing with the bench.

"Defense wins championships" isn't just a nice catchphrase. By starting the Twin Towers 2.0 (or 1.5 if you prefer), at the very least the Spurs can platoon Tim and Tiago for a prime Duncan+okay player in the frontcourt-like effect. Tell the wings to force people either baseline or inside if they get beat and start breaking opponents from the opening tip.

Then sub accordingly. If Diaw can be solid on defense then it's really only the Bonner line-up that'll be compromised on that end of the floor. Limit Matt's minutes and the rest will sort itself out.

Exactly. Tiago and Tim can help set a defensive tone from the tip. And with Kawhi to hound the perimeter players that should set a good tone for the game. The Spurs offense should be able to carry them home. They can't afford giving up first quarter points just to have Splitter's unit lead them back into the game. Points are precious in the playoffs and they should be fought for.

TheSkeptic
03-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Exactly. Tiago and Tim can help set a defensive tone from the tip. And with Kawhi to hound the perimeter players that should set a good tone for the game. The Spurs offense should be able to carry them home. They can't afford giving up first quarter points just to have Splitter's unit lead them back into the game. Points are precious in the playoffs and they should be fought for.

I couldn't agree more. Counting on your bench to come back and save you every game just isn't winning basketball. And in fact I would argue that a large part of the reason why the bench tends to salvage games is because they play something closer to old school Spurs basketball. They work hard on D and they acquired an inside-out offense once they realized Tiago could score when he got the ball and even command doubles at times.

The team won't get away with that during the post season.

therealtruth
03-24-2012, 05:06 PM
How does the second unit protect the rim if you use this starting lineup?

Plus, IMO, Diaw's skillset matches quite effectively the first unit one, he is a offense facilitator with top notch passing skills, decent defender(though undersized), could mesh quite well with timmy, set nice screens (parker and manu will love that) and Kawhi makes up for his so-so rebounding rate...

Pop had the right idea last year when he put Dice in the starting unit. He wanted better defense for the playoffs, especially with all the good power forwards in the WC. It just didn't work out that well. Splitter's got even better defense than Dice and a low post game. Duncan seems even more automatic than Dice with his jumper.

Also think about all that length on the frontline with Kawhi, Tim, and Tiago. It's going to be tough for opponents to get clean looks.

Nathan89
03-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Agreed with the interesting to watch part. The talent is there. However, being deep might not mean much if you don't hand out the minutes. And that's why I reserve judgement until we see what kind of rotations we're going to put out there. I still remember washed up Finley over George Hill or Tiago only starting to see minutes after two games in a series went by while getting murdered inside. So the skepticism isn't necessarily unfounded.

I do think everyone is more or less ready, something that was not the case last season. A byproduct of the injuries and the compressed season, no doubt. There's also less turds to hand minutes too, another plus.

Ultimately, I think their chances will have a lot to do with the kind of strides they make defensively in these last 15 games or so. We just can't be rank at the bottom and pretend to make a deep run. You need stops to win games.

Tiago started playing after 3 games.

I know Manu only thinks there is 15gms or so left but there is 21gms left.

benefactor
03-25-2012, 08:53 PM
3rd game of a back to back to back? No centers? Good defensive team? Doesn't matter...because contenders win those games son.

Otaku
03-25-2012, 08:56 PM
If I had to bet for the champion TODAY, my vote would go to the Spurs. They are rolling!

acoelho1
03-25-2012, 09:41 PM
I feel a lot more confident heading into the playoffs with this team than last year's squad. We are deeper, tougher and have some very good defensive wings. No way this teams gets bounced in the 1st round again.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-25-2012, 09:48 PM
I just put $200 on the Spurs to win the thing at 15-1 odds. Can't wait to collect

I did the same with $100, and $50 on WC Champ at 5.4-1 as a fallback. ;)

Wild Cobra Kai
03-25-2012, 10:25 PM
The LAL and OKC have the same fatal flaws: they can't shoot the trey or defend it. That is playoff death.

100%duncan
03-25-2012, 10:27 PM
The Spurs will never lose an NBA finals.

Spurs9
03-25-2012, 10:33 PM
The LAL and OKC have the same fatal flaws: they can't shoot the trey or defend it. That is playoff death.
Yeah 145+ the other night. Okc would be screwed with no Durant or Westbrook. spurs have proven they can win with with many combinations of players out, like Duncan splitter and Neal tonight. Or the stretch without Gino, how many other teams can maintain wins with key players out? We are deep this year, the rest of the nba get ready for these playoffs

benefactor
04-19-2012, 06:44 AM
Revenge game on the Lakers? No problem. Back to back to back? No problem.

5 is starting to become visible on the horizon....

TheSkeptic
04-19-2012, 07:06 AM
I'm starting to come around as well...

buttsR4rebounding
04-19-2012, 07:24 AM
No matter how you look at it: winning 5 in a row by an average of 18 points per game including a road B2B2B by an average of 22 is pretty okay.:lobt2:

benefactor
04-19-2012, 07:27 AM
I'm starting to come around as well...
There are the lingering worries...but I'm in the crows nest now, one eye pressed against the telescope...and that thing is see in the distance has an unmistakable silhouette.

TheSkeptic
04-19-2012, 07:32 AM
There are the lingering worries...but I'm in the crows nest now, one eye pressed against the telescope...and that thing is see in the distance has an unmistakable silhouette.

I'm trying not to look too closely myself. Less pain if something terrible happens. :lol

If the Laker game is anything to go by, it looks like Pop may be waking up from his small ball-induced fog and heading in the right direction. The Spurs have the pieces to win it all but it's going to come down to the rotations, game plans, substitution patterns, and Bonner imo.

rascal
04-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Revenge game on the Lakers? No problem. Back to back to back? No problem.

5 is starting to become visible on the horizon....

Letting regular season games cloud your judgment. The Spurs still have a soft, weak frontline and this will do them in come the playoffs.

rascal
04-19-2012, 08:40 AM
The Spurs will never lose an NBA finals. Problem is they may never get there again.

SpursIndonesia
04-19-2012, 09:41 AM
A bigman rotation of TD, Splitter (healthy), Diaw (motivated & acclimated), Bonner (keeping his current defensive intensity), is good enough for post season. Certainly won't be a strong point, but won't be a flat out achilles heel like the past few years. Keep Blair as a towel waving boy, that will do the job just fine.

Bill_Brasky
04-19-2012, 09:50 AM

Hmm.....i'm starting to see it too....

We have Kawhi taking the ball coast to coast and finishing, also with his baseline drive and slams...

We have Diaw playing good D and knocking down 3 balls now...

We have Jack to intimidate and enforce, made Blake shit his panties, and he happens to be playing some great defense as well...

I like this feeling i'm having right now.

z0sa
04-19-2012, 10:05 AM

Hey we need you watching for icebergs and reefs and shit dude!

Man In Black
04-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Tony Parker is still the Laker Killer and their Kryptonite. Just involve Bynum in pick and rolls all day and at least on that side of the court, he's negated somewhat. Also, since he's mental he could just go into a shell.

One For The Thumb!
Drive For Five!
Going For the *Repeat!
Quest For The Even Year Larry O'Brien Trophy!

SpurinDallas
04-19-2012, 11:33 AM
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/3176/pokergoingallin.jpg

benefactor
04-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Letting regular season games cloud your judgment. The Spurs still have a soft, weak frontline and this will do them in come the playoffs.
You should have read my second post after that before decided to be your usual faggot self.

therealtruth
04-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Despite the elbow injury Manu's numbers in the playoffs last year weren't that far off his '10 numbers.

rascal
04-19-2012, 01:46 PM
You should have read my second post after that before decided to be your usual faggot self.

They should pull down that award (All Spurs Talk 2nd team) you sport with all your name calling.

benefactor
04-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Could be worse...I could have threatened to beat someone up in a women's soccer thread.

ElNono
04-19-2012, 01:55 PM
I still don't know what the rotations are gonna be. One day Splitter starts, the next Blair starts. I guess Pop won't define that until a game or two before the playoffs.

benefactor
04-19-2012, 01:57 PM
I still don't know what the rotations are gonna be. One day Splitter starts, the next Blair starts. I guess Pop won't define that until a game or two before the playoffs.
With the Spurs current personnel, I think there will be some adjustments from match up to match up. I know that's a bit unprecedented as far as Pop goes, but I don't see how it can work any other way.

benefactor
04-20-2012, 10:46 PM
:wakeup

T Park
04-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Ok, Kobe's back.

What's the new excuse?

timtonymanu
04-20-2012, 10:51 PM
:toast

This team is clicking at the right time.

timtonymanu
04-20-2012, 10:51 PM
:toast

This team is clicking at the right time.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-20-2012, 10:57 PM
With the Spurs current personnel, I think there will be some adjustments from match up to match up. I know that's a bit unprecedented as far as Pop goes, but I don't see how it can work any other way.

For instance, Blair struggles mightily against the LAL and MEM, but positively BEASTS on OKC.

dunkman
04-20-2012, 11:08 PM
The FO didn't made enough improvement for the 07-08 season, the Lakers with the Kwame for Gasol trade had become better, also the Celtics were better. The mistake was letting Scola go.

For 08-09, the roster wasnt good at all.

They tried to fix the things with Dice and RJ, but RJ disappointed completely. For he was being paid he did very little in more than 2 seasons.

This season the roster finally looks great. Enough talented bigs, wing defensives, only thing missing is a better PG backup. Mills is still new and Neal can't defend PG's.

Mr. Body
04-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Still pretty nervous about a high-octane offense. Playoffs are when things grind down and get difficult. I don't see why that would be suddenly different.

Spurtacus
04-20-2012, 11:14 PM
We stacked.

td4mvp21
04-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Still pretty nervous about a high-octane offense. Playoffs are when things grind down and get difficult. I don't see why that would be suddenly different.

Ditto. The good news is that if you look at the last 10 games, the Spurs have held opponents below 44% FG. Hopefully it's a sign that the defense is capable of being above average.

therealtruth
04-20-2012, 11:41 PM

The Spurs grinded it out in the first half and then blew it open in the second half.

TheSkeptic
04-20-2012, 11:46 PM
The Spurs grinded it out in the first half and then blew it open in the second half.

The halfcourt offense has been pretty good this season I'd say. It's more the halfcourt defense that worries me. Luckily, it seems to be getting better. I think if we keep Blair out of the rotation while limiting Bonner some and picking and choosing spots for guys like Neal, the defense should be okay leading into the playoffs.

As long as the rotations continue to look something like this, I think this team has a fair shot of beating anybody in a series.:hat

benefactor
04-21-2012, 12:14 AM
But who is the big powerhouse defense in the West that can do that? Don't really see one this year tbh.

Mr. Body
04-21-2012, 12:19 AM
But who is the big powerhouse defense in the West that can do that? Don't really see one this year tbh.

That's a good point. I'm not sure anyone in the west is beating the Spurs right now. OKC with the best shot, maybe.

TheSkeptic
04-21-2012, 12:20 AM
That's a good point. I'm not sure anyone in the west is beating the Spurs right now. OKC with the best shot, maybe.

Mr. Body
04-21-2012, 12:23 AM

Do you want to comment, or just put up an emoticon like a goon?

benefactor
04-21-2012, 12:25 AM
The West is just not that strong this year. In other years I would agree that this type of basketball most likely would not succeed but with the lack of a real dominant team I feel like they have a really good shot.

TheSkeptic
04-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Do you want to comment, or just put up an emoticon like a goon?

I was agreeing with you.

Just laughing because OKC has the best shot at competing but they don't stand a chance against the Spurs in a 7 game series.

Brutalis
04-21-2012, 02:08 AM
SA has always been contenders.

They are playing really well since the trade, and not half bad before it of course. Splitter needs to log consistent time against teams that have strong presence in the paint.

I believe the Spurs can take the crown but a lot has to line up still yet. From health to the lineup and calls just not either killing us or any certain team getting every whistle. If this squad can do what they are doing now they will have damn good shot.

I haven't seen the big 3 this healthy together in a while. THAT is what makes me nervous. None are 100% but damn it seems like one is just really banged up or missing completely every year. Injuries happen to every team in every sport but SA has been bit enough.

For some reason people are really hanging onto the 50 win thing, and who we get in the 1st round... none of that matters at this point however. Of course you want to win out but there's no reward for that so why bother discussing it? Discuss it when we are 44-38 with a bunch of young fucks and we are reminiscing. Hopefully with a another ring.

benefactor
05-22-2012, 12:07 AM
They got this. Spurs in 7.