PDA

View Full Version : Trading Up in the Draft

Richie
03-24-2012, 01:00 AM
So everyone knows this is supposed to be one of the deepest drafts in recent years, and as it stands we aren't going to be a part of it. The trade for Captain Jack for Jefferson was absolutely worth giving up a late first round pick, not to mention saving $11m in the trade too, but can we find a way to get back in the game?

The question beckons, do we have any pieces with enough value to make teams part with low lottery/mid-first round picks and are there any players at that point in the draft which we would want?

I don't follow college ball at all so the second question will have to be answered by someone more knowledgeable, but here's my take on the players we have to trade.

Gary Neal
Gary is the most obvious choice to move for a pick IMO. Despite being in only his second year, the guy is 27 so we have to wonder whether he can be a part of our long term rebuilding plans. If we can get a player with strong potential who is only 20 or 21, it would be a good move long term to make a trade.
I don't see why a team looking to rebuild for a few more years like the Hornets (w/ Minnesota's mid-first round pick) would go for a trade, but a team like the Rockets who could end up with two late lottery picks might want to pick up a deadly 3 point shooter with clutch playoff experience.

Tiago Splitter
Tiago has the same problem as Neal, in that he is already 27 and so could again be useful to move on for a younger player with strong potential. The difference is that at this stage, Splitter hasn't proven (or more aptly, been given the chance to prove) nearly as much as Neal has in the regular season or playoffs.
If we did trade Tiago you I would have to assume we would be picking up another big in the draft, which beckons the question as to why a team would take a big which would mean passing on a better big in the draft, although he is on a very cheap contract for the quality of player he is.

DeJuan Blair / Danny Green
One of these two I could see as being throw ins to a trade with either Neal or Tiago. Both have shown a lot of potential but on there own wouldn't be enough to trade for a pick so could be used to sweeten the deal for a trade.

Are any of these guys good enough to warrant a lottery team or low-ranked playoff team giving up a draft pick in a strong draft? Is there anyone in that region that is worth looking at?

ducks
03-24-2012, 01:03 AM
I take a ring over a draft pick this year thank you

Richie
03-24-2012, 01:11 AM
I take a ring over a draft pick this year thank you

Well obviously none of these trades would affect our playoffs this year at all considering the trade deadline has already passed. I'm clearly talking about something similar to the George Hill draft-day trade

freetiago
03-24-2012, 01:11 AM
teams are buying late first round draft picks for 11 million
so i doubt they would trade average role players for lottery picks
unless you would be willing to give up tiago splitter for an unproven rookie

this draft is also overrated
a lot of the players look like busts and when people say deep they generally mean up to the lottery
bad teams wont be able to pick up lottery level talent in the late first like they think they can
unless the spurs are drafting for them

Spurtacus
03-24-2012, 01:12 AM
I'm sure the preference among Spurstalk would be to move Blair or Bonner. Bonner won't happen. Blair could net us a lottery pick (got 15th + more for George Hill).

BackHome
03-24-2012, 02:32 AM
If we trade Blair I doubt we could do better then the 24th pick in the first round. For me I would trade and get a early second round pick and either get Fetsus or Cesar Lima...

jesterbobman
03-24-2012, 02:53 AM
The basic idea has been discussed. Most logical thinking is basically that we'll be trying to bring over Lorbek and de Colo in FA. de Colo seems similar to Neal as a shooting 2 with some ability to be a point, if he has other players creators next to him. Blair or Neal could be a good options to trade, but expecting a lottery pick in return is unrealistic. If you got the 25th or 35th pick that's a decent return, considering the depth of this draft.(I might also see how interested the Bulls would be in a 3 team trade, with them getting the pick to take a SG and us getting Nikola Mirotic, though I doubt the Bulls would be interested)

HazeGray
03-24-2012, 02:58 AM
Blair for late first rounder best possible outcome

leave Neal alone ... he is going to hit 2 game winning shots in the playoffs
his stones alone make him close to untouchable

DrSteffo
03-24-2012, 03:18 AM
If we can get Lorbek then trading one of our bigs to move up in the draft would make some sense but please keep Splitter.

TE
03-24-2012, 03:55 AM
With all due respect, fuck this draft. And fuck this postseason type shit.

Focus on the present.

DrSteffo
03-24-2012, 04:10 AM
I'm watching a replay of the Mavs game right now, is it allowed or should I focus only on my breakfast? :)

100%duncan
03-24-2012, 04:17 AM
With all due respect, fuck this draft. And fuck this postseason type shit.

Focus on the present.

Darkwaters
03-24-2012, 04:26 AM
Can't trade Danny Green - hes a free agent. Unless you do a sign and trade...but you don't usually sign and trade players unless they're on substantially bigger contracts than what he'll command.

You don't trade Tiago at this point unless it's a can't miss trade. Sure, hes not 22 years old, but he isn't 37 either. Hes still got quite a few good years and has proven very effective this year.

Gary Neal could be on the trading block - but only if the right deal was staring them in the face (ie, the George Hill trade). Otherwise, I think he finishes this contract out with us. You see, the real problem with trading Neal is that the value of his contract is so small that it really limits what you can get in return for him. So acquiring an established player is much harder without including other large salaries.

TDMVPDPOY
03-24-2012, 04:49 AM
27yrs old splitter is the age for centers entering in their prime

you be stupid to trade his ass for what his shown so far....

fkn stupid thread

venitian navigator
03-24-2012, 05:23 AM
Next year we'll probably have the problem of too many players worth playing time.
Expecially if the Diaw and Mills experiments works well.
As of now, all 15 (could be 16 if also Detmon is gonna have some nice stints with the team) of the players signed looks like they are worth to be re-signed...see Dawson last game and Anderson last few games.
Also, there are at least three nice prospects we have already the rights on...I mean :

1) Lorbek;
2) De Colo;
3) Sanikidze.

All of them could have more than decent nba careers and Lorbek definitely could be expected to contribute right away (I also like a lot Sanikidze, that could well became imho a sort of a white Leonard, at least for the rebounding an shooting part).

Imho next year, if al works well, here are the "operations" that should take place :

1) sign Tim;
immediately after :
2) see what is gonna be Green and Diaw price...try to sign both, otherwise...make a choice of one of the two;
3) absolutely sign Lorbek;
4) exercise the "options" (Mills, Blair, Neal);
5) take a look at everyone else we can afford to sign in the F.A. market or already having the rights (Anderson, De Colo, Sanikidze.....Javtokas ? our second round draft choice this year ? nbdl players like Detmon or Dawson ?)

Now, the draft takes place before the ending of the current contracts (early june) so before the up said decisions.

All this for saying that this summer we're in the ideal position for obtain some guarantees for our future...if somehow the right circumstances (I meann the right trade/s) present themself to our F.O.
Is the first time in years we could have an abundance of quality players...with good market value.
We have all kinds of contracts (small money, big money, medium money) and players (old, young, medium) quite all at their best value in years.

So, we definitely could be sellers, if the F.O. so decide, for buying draft choices.

Blair and Neal are the obvious candidates...
As of now, I see Blair and Neal as two won bets that have builded some good value as players...and their value is particularly good cause not only for their basketball skills, but also 'cause they're young and with contracts that the last thing you could say is they're expensive.

That said, probably the FO could think that Blair and Neal will be more worth in our team than like trading assets...

.....definitely difficult decisions.....but these are the kind of "problems" you pray to have.....