PDA

View Full Version : Diaw & Mills Deal Details?

CGD
03-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Does anyone know whether their respective deals run for this season only?

I'm curious whether Spurs see Diaw staying here longer term, and if so whether his deal reflects that thinking. Provided he gets fit, a Diaw + Duncan combination to start the at the 4 & 5 may be more than decent over the next few years.

Mel_13
03-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Nothing official, but the reporting has Mills with a player option for next season and Diaw signed for this season only.

CGD
03-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Awesome, thanks

Darkwaters
03-24-2012, 12:54 PM
I was really hoping that Boris Diaw would be a two year deal.

CGD
03-24-2012, 01:05 PM

Me too, maybe a team option or partially guaranteed deal?

Because clearing significant cap space via amnesty is no longer an option this summer and due to the eminence of resigning Duncan, I really don't see why the Spurs wouldn't commit money to him next year (or at least retain the option to do so).

Now beyond next year is another story...

Proxy
03-24-2012, 02:42 PM
FO is planning for the offseason.

Mel_13
03-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Me too, maybe a team option or partially guaranteed deal?

Because clearing significant cap space via amnesty is no longer an option this summer and due to the eminence of resigning Duncan, I really don't see why the Spurs wouldn't commit money to him next year (or at least retain the option to do so).

Now beyond next year is another story...

The Spurs may very well have been willing to give Diaw a second or third year, but they only had the mini-MLE to offer. I doubt that Diaw was willing to commit for one or two additional years at 3M per year. I would imagine he views this time the Spurs as an open audition for his next contract. He turns 30 next month and is coming off a 5yr/45M contract. If he has a successful run in San Antonio, he'll be looking to get paid this summer

Darkwaters
03-24-2012, 02:49 PM
The Spurs may very well have been willing to give Diaw a second or third year, but they only had the mini-MLE to offer. I doubt that Diaw was willing to commit for one or two additional years at 3M per year. I would imagine he views this time the Spurs as an open audition for his next contract. He turns 30 next month and is coming off a 5yr/45M contract. If he has a successful run in San Antonio, he'll be looking to get paid this summer

I'm aware. But one can always hope.

OZspurs
03-25-2012, 04:29 AM
How is Mills' visa? has it been issued? Can he work for playoff?

Wild Cobra Kai
03-25-2012, 09:36 AM
At this point, with the new punative CBA tax rules, no one is giving Boris a big payday. He's shown that he is one of those super talented enigmas, like Lamar Odom. He's playing to show he's worth an MLE deal, and if the Spurs like what they see, they'll offer it to him, and he'll likely accept their offer over anyone else's.

TJastal
03-25-2012, 09:46 AM
At this point, with the new punative CBA tax rules, no one is giving Boris a big payday. He's shown that he is one of those super talented enigmas, like Lamar Odom. He's playing to show he's worth an MLE deal, and if the Spurs like what they see, they'll offer it to him, and he'll likely accept their offer over anyone else's.

I don't see Diaw being worth more than Bonner $$ tbh.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-25-2012, 10:11 AM
I don't see Diaw being worth more than Bonner $$ tbh.

He's WAY more talented than Bonner, but under the new CBA, you may be right.

buttsR4rebounding
03-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Speaking of terms, I've read that the 1st round pick the Spurs traded to get SJax was conditional. Does anyone know what the conditions were? Thanks.

buttsR4rebounding
03-25-2012, 10:20 AM

No way Diaw would do a multi year deal unless we used the MLE. You can't sign a player to a vet minimum in year one of a contract and then increase it to, say, $3 million or $4 million the next. There is a limit to the increase. Mills was signed to multilple years because his 2nd year is at $1 million which falls within the range of the allowed increases.

Mel_13
03-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Speaking of terms, I've read that the 1st round pick the Spurs traded to get SJax was conditional. Does anyone know what the conditions were? Thanks.

Lottery protected. If the Spurs make the playoffs, GS gets the pick this year.