PDA

View Full Version : Do you trust Pop to play the right bigs more minutes

DPG's Booster Seat
03-24-2012, 02:46 PM
against the likes of Memphis and the Lakers? I'm still worried he relies too much on the turd towers.:(

Mel_13
03-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Quality thread.

therealtruth
03-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Hopefully he makes the adjustment before game 3/4 of the series. He's been getting slower to adjust the last couple of series. It took him until game 3 of the Suns series in '10 to start Parker. It took him until game 4 of the Grizzlies series last year to play Tiago. We'll probably have to wait to game 5 next time.

jermaine
03-24-2012, 03:45 PM
No. Bonner an Green will get more mins than Jackson, Diaw, an Splitter in the playoffs. I bet that.

The ADMIRAL 50
03-24-2012, 03:47 PM
If he gets over with his man crush on Blair and Bonner, maybe

You're an idiot if you think Pop has any sort of love affair with Blair. He never plays him any crunch time minutes.

That said, to answer the OPs question: no. All I have to go off of is history and history says Bonner will get way too many minutes and Splitter will continue getting too little.

TheSkeptic
03-24-2012, 04:00 PM
I have to admit, although I think the Spurs finally have enough to win it all this is exactly why I'm nervous. Tim & Tiago need to be playing the majority of the big minutes simply because I don't think the team will go far trying to outscore opponents.

Defense first, Inside-out, etc. I'm fine with losing as long as it's done the right way.

I also think that those two have been looking better when playing together despite the limited minutes.

Based on recent history and Pop's love of small ball, however, I'm just not fully convinced. He'll need to rework his rotation and make adjustments in game. Where the bigs are concerned I'm not feeling very confident right now. I'd love to be wrong.

T Park
03-24-2012, 04:20 PM
This year yes. When the matchups have dictated it he's played Duncan and splitter. IE the game against Orlando Splitter was the first big. Diaw though might reduce ole TFW to his rightful 10-15 mins

silverblk mystix
03-24-2012, 04:27 PM
against the likes of Memphis and the Lakers? I'm still worried he relies too much on the turd towers.:(

Well this the the 64,000 dollar question, isn't it?

I said before and I stand by it;

Can the Spurs win a title --in spite-- of Pop?

Wish I could say yes...but I fear Pop will be the biggest obstacle for the Spurs to clear.

Would love to be wrong also...but the proof is in the last few seasons....2008,2009,2010 & 2011.

2011 was pretty much the last time I gave Pop the benefit of the doubt, as everyone here just seemed to think that-in the playoffs-Pop would magically and suddenly reverse Bonner and Tiago's playing time....

but Pop waited til it was too late...and he seems to be doing the exact same thing this year...the worst part is not allowing TD & Splitter to develop chemistry all season long ...and now (IF Pop ever pairs them in the playoffs) may already be too late to make the TD/Splitter tandem pay dividends.

ElNono
03-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Lakers got swept by a jumpshooting team, playing zone D, that included a midget terrorizing their entire frontcourt. And this season they got worse.

So, yeah, it's a concern against Memphis...

TheSkeptic
03-24-2012, 04:48 PM
This year yes. When the matchups have dictated it he's played Duncan and splitter. IE the game against Orlando Splitter was the first big. Diaw though might reduce ole TFW to his rightful 10-15 mins

That's the problem right there.

I never thought I'd say this but Pop needs to take a page from Mike Brown and Phil Jackson.

Gasol and Bynum are both centers at this stage and they also happen to be two of the best players on that team. You don't see the Lakers playing one or the other off the bench because the other team is undersized or quicker. Instead they punish opponents for not having the personnel to match up with them.

It doesn't matter who they're playing. They. Don't. Care.

They just play their best players and let the rest of the league lose sleep figuring out how to handle their basically unstoppable frontcourt (two players who, ironically, are often limited by their own teammate as opposed to the other team's defense :lol). Thankfully, the Spurs don't have that problem.

I've had enough of this "matching up to the other team" mentality. When all is said and done, talent matters in the play-offs. Tiago is one of the team's best players and I don't think we've seen what he's fully capable of. Besides, Pop *has* to know that last year he had no choice but to lean on the Splitter/Duncan line-up when things got real and he'll likely have to do so again.

He needs to stop reacting all the time and take a more proactive approach. Put together a system that maximizes the collective strengths of your best players, make adjustments where necessary, and let the chips fall where they will. If that means changing his rotations and drawing up something different altogether, he needs to do that. Dictate the match-ups and the tempo and you will often control the game. It's very simple.

Fabbs
03-24-2012, 04:58 PM

Wish I could say yes...but I fear Pop will be the biggest obstacle for the Spurs to clear.

Would love to be wrong also...but the proof is in the last few seasons....2008,2009,2010 & 2011.

2011 was pretty much the last time I gave Pop the benefit of the doubt, as everyone here just seemed to think that-in the playoffs-Pop would magically and suddenly reverse Bonner and Tiago's playing time....

but Pop waited til it was too late...and he seems to be doing the exact same thing this year...the worst part is not allowing TD & Splitter to develop chemistry all season long ...and now (IF Pop ever pairs them in the playoffs) may already be too late to make the TD/Splitter tandem pay dividends.
Yep.
Makes you wonder if the signing of Buckets/shipping of Pop Pet #2 RJ had nothing to do with Popped and Bumford. Perhaps Holt really has had enough and intervened.

timvp
03-24-2012, 05:15 PM
This year yes. When the matchups have dictated it he's played Duncan and splitter. IE the game against Orlando Splitter was the first big.
Pop played Duncan and Splitter together a grand total of four minutes in the two games against the Magic. On the season, Duncan and Splitter have played together for 112 minutes -- that's 2.7 minutes per game.

There's zero evidence that Pop is comfortable playing Duncan and Splitter together. In fact, there's a lot of evidence that he doesn't like that pairing.

therealtruth
03-24-2012, 05:20 PM

Let's see how Pop plays his cards. The argument before was that the Turd towers were too bad to play together. Now he has another quality big in Diaw he should be able to play TD and Splitter and minimize the Turd towers. But it's going to require him to cut Bonner and Blair's minutes.

wildbill2u
03-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Here's his problem with playing both at the same time. What do you do when both need a blow? You want to play a lineup of Blair, Bonner for extended minutes together without one of either Tim or Tiago? I don't think so.

therealtruth
03-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Here's his problem with playing both at the same time. What do you do when both need a blow? You want to play a lineup of Blair, Bonner for extended minutes together without one of either Tim or Tiago? I don't think so.

With Diaw in the fold that shouldn't be an issue. The guy started at center for successful Suns teams.

Spurs da champs
03-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Lakers got swept by a jumpshooting team, playing zone D, that included a midget terrorizing their entire frontcourt. And this season they got worse.

So, yeah, it's a concern against Memphis...
Bynum has defiantly improved & gotten more touches this year and Ramon Sessions defiantly makes them a better team this year, don't be ignorant. If Kobe doesn't go Chucker McGee then we're in trouble.

And Memphis is defiantly worse this year they lack Arthur, Battier & Vasquez;the guys who were pretty much the difference in 2 of the 3 games they won in the PO's against us.

jesterbobman
03-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Pop played Duncan and Splitter together a grand total of four minutes in the two games against the Magic. On the season, Duncan and Splitter have played together for 112 minutes -- that's 2.7 minutes per game.

There's zero evidence that Pop is comfortable playing Duncan and Splitter together. In fact, there's a lot of evidence that he doesn't like that pairing.

True that Splitter and TD have barely played together this season. I (along with the general consensus of ST) hope that this is to avoid the Blair/Bonner Frontcourt, which has been a terrible pairing. Avoiding that has been a good policy. Though, I fear some actual dislike for Splitter/Duncan as a pair.

therealtruth
03-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Bynum has defiantly improved & gotten more touches this year and Ramon Sessions defiantly makes them a better team this year, don't be ignorant. If Kobe doesn't go Chucker McGee then we're in trouble.

And Memphis is defiantly worse this year they lack Arthur, Battier & Vasquez;the guys who were pretty much the difference in 2 of the 3 games they won in the PO's against us.

Speights allows them to replace Arthur. Vasquez was a rookie playing over his head that was helped by Parker not playing his best. Battier is probably the guy they miss the most but at the same time they now have Gay's scoring.

jjktkk
03-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Yes.

Spurs da champs
03-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Speights allows them to replace Arthur. Vasquez was a rookie playing over his head that was helped by Parker not playing his best. Battier is probably the guy they miss the most but at the same time they now have Gay's scoring.

Speights isn't crazy athletic like Arthur, Arthur's athleticism killed us, in the games I've seen the Spurs against the Grizzlies with Speights I've not been impressed and the Grizzlies don't seem to be the same team defensively that they were without Gay. Also Kawhi really bothers Rudy, all in all the Grizzlies aren't that good like they were last year.

Solid D
03-24-2012, 05:47 PM

LJ, although 112 minutes is a small sample size, the results on the floor have been far from convincing. Mixed results.

silverblk mystix
03-24-2012, 05:57 PM
LJ, although 112 minutes is a small sample size, the results on the floor have been far from convincing. Mixed results.

Of course...that is precisely why time is running out...they absolutely NEED to develop a chemistry...

You cannot teach size and Splitter is bigger and quicker than Bonner and Blair...

chazley
03-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Duncan and Tiago are significantly better with Bonner on the court because it allows them the freedom/space to do their thing. They're a terrible offensive match, but they have alot of promise defensively. The fact is though, there are barely any teams in the league where we need two defensive 7 footers. At this point in their existence, the combo doesn't do enough offensively to make opponents adjust. If this were a standard season with plenty of practice time/more training camp, I'm sure we would've seen more of them by now.

ElNono
03-24-2012, 06:10 PM

Uh? They got worse. They lost LO who was a legitimate 6th man while playing there, lost a 11 time champion coach, filled up the bench with a bunch of soft/shitty guys. Their bench right now is Blake-McBob-Barnes-Murphy.

Phil Jackson and Fisher aren't there anymore. When Kobe decides to go hero mode, who's going to call him out on it?

Bynum is clearly the best player on that team, but unless that gets established (and it likely won't until Kobe is gone), they're a beatable team.

Well, the topic here is bigs and they've the same bigs this season. I do agree they might be worse on the perimeter and you have to think if Rudy Gay makes them better or worse.

SenorSpur
03-24-2012, 06:17 PM
That's the problem right there.

I never thought I'd say this but Pop needs to take a page from Mike Brown and Phil Jackson.

Gasol and Bynum are both centers at this stage and they also happen to be two of the best players on that team. You don't see the Lakers playing one or the other off the bench because the other team is undersized or quicker. Instead they punish opponents for not having the personnel to match up with them.

It doesn't matter who they're playing. They. Don't. Care.

They just play their best players and let the rest of the league lose sleep figuring out how to handle their basically unstoppable frontcourt (two players who, ironically, are often limited by their own teammate as opposed to the other team's defense :lol). Thankfully, the Spurs don't have that problem.

I've had enough of this "matching up to the other team" mentality. When all is said and done, talent matters in the play-offs. Tiago is one of the team's best players and I don't think we've seen what he's fully capable of. Besides, Pop *has* to know that last year he had no choice but to lean on the Splitter/Duncan line-up when things got real and he'll likely have to do so again.

He needs to stop reacting all the time and take a more proactive approach. Put together a system that maximizes the collective strengths of your best players, make adjustments where necessary, and let the chips fall where they will. If that means changing his rotations and drawing up something different altogether, he needs to do that. Dictate the match-ups and the tempo and you will often control the game. It's very simple.

There it is.

freetiago
03-24-2012, 06:20 PM
i could understand why pop plays duncan and splitter seperately
it gives the bench a huge boost with splitter offensively and gives them rim protection
but i dont understand why he never put a closing lineup of splitter and duncan out there

im not as worried about memphis/L.A as everyone else seems to be
you dont need 3 talented bigs
lakers get by with bynum/gasol
memphis has randolph/gasol

P. Gasol is still pretty soft and you could easily throw a S.Jack or Diaw and contain him
Randolph also plays 0 d and is relatively undersized for a PF
both of them are mid range players so a decent physical defender with some length can play them well (Jackson, Diaw, Leonard)

L.A and memphis are also the 2 worst 3 point shooting teams in the league, they attempt and make the least
so a zone could also give them problems
Gay and Kobe are also both hugely overrated chuckers
Last season we held kobe under 30% in 2 games w. George Hill and like 30% in the other game
Gay has been ass this year vs the spurs
Leonard held him to 1 point one game and like 18 points on 26 shots the next
26 shots of which gasol/randolph wouldnt be taking

This spurs team frontline is fine now and they have superior wing play and the best 3 point shooters in the league to go along with it

Proxy
03-24-2012, 06:33 PM
We'll play all of our games against the Lakers in a comparatively short time span near the end of the season... Pop will have plenty of opportunity to experiment there, as will they with us.

Not sure what to expect with an added big man in the rotation in Boris. I'm not getting my hopes up. Pop had a tall, defensive lineup out there against the loss in dallas to the Mavs... Manu, Jack, Tiago, Timmy, and Kawhi which got me pretty excited.... it lasted but an entire 2 minutes before Neal and Matt were substituted in. No one should be getting their hopes up.

Spurs da champs
03-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Uh? They got worse. They lost LO who was a legitimate 6th man while playing there, lost a 11 time champion coach, filled up the bench with a bunch of soft/shitty guys. Their bench right now is Blake-McBob-Barnes-Murphy.

Phil Jackson and Fisher aren't there anymore. When Kobe decides to go hero mode, who's going to call him out on it?

Bynum is clearly the best player on that team, but unless that gets established (and it likely won't until Kobe is gone), they're a beatable team.
The emergence of Bynum defiantly makes them a better team then they were last year. But I agree if Kobe's goes insane chucker then they're defiantly beatable. And things change in the PO's as you know, the half court game defiantly makes them more dangerous. They're also vastly improved at the PG with Ramon Sessions.

Well, the topic here is bigs and they've the same bigs this season. I do agree they might be worse on the perimeter and you have to think if Rudy Gay makes them better or worse.

Well they're missing Arthur,a big that just crushed us last year in the PO's. And tbh I'd not be worried about Rudy at all, he's overrated & Kawhi should be able to lock him down just like he did a month ago.

Josepatches_
03-24-2012, 09:40 PM
I have a lot of confidence in Kobe.

Bynum/Gasol will not be a problem.

maverick1948
03-24-2012, 10:06 PM
WOW Pop is ruining the Spurs season. He is not playing Duncan and Splitter together. We will never make the playoffs. We are going to lose the next 20 games because Pop is stupid.

WAIT JUST DAMN MINUTE!!!!!! We are 32-14 with 20 games to go and DUNCAN/SPLITTER have not had to play together to get us there. I, for one, trust Pop to do what is necessary to have a rested, healthy team come playoff time. I dont worry about how he is going to play the Lakers or Grizz. They have to beat us to get to the finals. We have to beat them to get to the finals. Which coach do you trust? POP??? or Brown????? Hollins??????

Give me Pop every time. He will take us to the championship.

100%duncan
03-24-2012, 10:28 PM

silverblk mystix
03-24-2012, 10:36 PM
WOW Pop is ruining the Spurs season. He is not playing Duncan and Splitter together. We will never make the playoffs. We are going to lose the next 20 games because Pop is stupid.

WAIT JUST DAMN MINUTE!!!!!! We are 32-14 with 20 games to go and DUNCAN/SPLITTER have not had to play together to get us there. I, for one, trust Pop to do what is necessary to have a rested, healthy team come playoff time. I dont worry about how he is going to play the Lakers or Grizz. They have to beat us to get to the finals. We have to beat them to get to the finals. Which coach do you trust? POP??? or Brown????? Hollins??????

It is no surprise your name is Maverick...

TheSkeptic
03-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Pop needs to start planning long-term. The Spurs are not getting out of the West playing Bonner significant minutes and keeping Blair as a starter. You have to play your best players and that includes Tiago. Something that shouldn't be overlooked is the fact that playing them together should give Tim the energy he needs to produce offensively and defensively.

I don't want Pop fired or anything, but I hope he doesn't let the wins get to his head. There's way too many fans (and coaches it seems) who are happy just going with the flow as long as they're winning *right this minute*.

Ladies and Gentlemen: Exhibit A.

jermaine
03-24-2012, 11:56 PM
No. Bonner an Green will get more mins than Jackson, Diaw, an Splitter in the playoffs. I bet that.

Watch for this lineup Every game.

DMC
03-25-2012, 12:16 AM
I don't trust him so I will intervene.

ElNono
03-25-2012, 12:17 AM
The emergence of Bynum defiantly makes them a better team then they were last year. But I agree if Kobe's goes insane chucker then they're defiantly beatable. And things change in the PO's as you know, the half court game defiantly makes them more dangerous. They're also vastly improved at the PG with Ramon Sessions.

Bynum was the best player on that team last season too, he just didn't get enough touches... this season he gets more touches but at the expense of Gasol, not Kobe. And Kobe will go hero mode when the playoffs come around, you can bank on that.

And Sessions is an average PG. That's what his numbers show. It's obviously a major improvement over the rotting corpse of Derek Fisher, and he'll get over-hyped since it looks like LA just came to the realization that PGs can have fast feet. But none of those guys are going to play 48 mins. When you have to trot out McBob, Murphy, Blake for 10-15 mins, they're ripe to get abused.

And don't get me started with the coach. Took him 4 games to try to solve Tony Parker, of all people, and never did.

Not concerned with these Lakers. Oklahoma is the team to beat and Dallas, if they get going, are the champs and you have to respect them.

TheSkeptic
03-25-2012, 12:26 AM
@ElNono

That's what I don't get about the Lakers.

Bynum should be taking more shots from Kobe instead of Gasol. It's not like Gasol was ever taking 20+ shots a game and for the most part he's been efficient with his touches. Kobe on the other hand has two skilled bigs that he should be taking advantage of. He'd be getting better looks, doing less work, getting more assists, and winning more if he did it that way.

It's not like they're making the Finals with that coach but...man.

ElNono
03-25-2012, 12:32 AM
@ElNono

Bynum should be taking more shots from Kobe instead of Gasol. It's not like Gasol was ever taking 20+ shots a game and for the most part he's been efficient with his touches. Kobe on the other hand has two skilled bigs that he should be taking advantage of. He'd be getting better looks, doing less work, getting more assists, and winning more if he did it that way.

Kobe is chasing records, and Mike Brown is playing buddy-buddy.
When the playoffs come around, he'll be chasing playoff records.

What's going to happen is Bynum asking to be traded after another playoff exit. Lakers can't trade Kobe and using the amnesty on him won't happen.

Man In Black
03-25-2012, 12:49 AM
Bynum was the best player on that team last season too, he just didn't get enough touches... this season he gets more touches but at the expense of Gasol, not Kobe. And Kobe will go hero mode when the playoffs come around, you can bank on that.

And Sessions is an average PG. That's what his numbers show. It's obviously a major improvement over the rotting corpse of Derek Fisher, and he'll get over-hyped since it looks like LA just came to the realization that PGs can have fast feet. But none of those guys are going to play 48 mins. When you have to trot out McBob, Murphy, Blake for 10-15 mins, they're ripe to get abused.

And don't get me started with the coach. Took him 4 games to try to solve Tony Parker, of all people, and never did.

Not concerned with these Lakers. Oklahoma is the team to beat and Dallas, if they get going, are the champs and you have to respect them.

Where's the LIKE button here? Everyone talks about the LAL frontcourt but everyone knows the Spurs have the advantage overall with their TEAM play. Own PG, SG goes LAL but not by as big a margin especially with the addition of Jackson. Playoff Duncan, plus Better Splitter, Blair early, Bonner Middle, and Diaw late....We good.

ElNono
03-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Where's the LIKE button here? Everyone talks about the LAL frontcourt but everyone knows the Spurs have the advantage overall with their TEAM play. Own PG, SG goes LAL but not by as big a margin especially with the addition of Jackson. Playoff Duncan, plus Better Splitter, Blair early, Bonner Middle, and Diaw late....We good.

Don't get me wrong, I don't know about the Spurs having a "major" advantage, but it's a team that I feel we can beat if we're healthy. Especially if Bynum keeps not being the focus on offense.

OKC or even Dallas, if they get their game in shape, it's a much tougher call.

Spurs da champs
03-25-2012, 01:12 AM
@ElNono Well Conley was an average PG & Parker made him look like Gary Payton tho regardless of what Kobe does we still need Splitter to help Tim out against Bynum & Gasol, if not then the Spurs are screwed.

And OKC is not intimidating at all, Tim & Tiago should play well against them because they're a very short team. Also you talk about Kobe going hero, same shit applies to Russell Westbrick.

ElNono
03-25-2012, 01:29 AM
@ElNono Well Conley was an average PG & Parker made him look like Gary Payton tho regardless of what Kobe does we still need Splitter to help Tim out against Bynum & Gasol, if not then the Spurs are screwed.

Our biggest issue was ZBo going AllStar and the fact that they had terrific perimeter defense. Battier and Tony Allen are nothing to sneeze at. They'll make any of your guards work for everything. Luckily Battier is gone.

But the Lakers don't have any of that. Kobe is way over the hill defensively. Artest can only guard one of Manu, Tony or Jack. Sessions is quick, but I don't think he's a good defender. They've also been a fairly mediocre road team and at home, they had to fight to win almost every game.

And OKC is not intimidating at all, Tim & Tiago should play well against them because they're a very short team. Also you talk about Kobe going hero, same shit applies to Russell Westbrick.

Well, they run a perimeter oriented offense and our perimeter defense has been relatively weak, especially on ISO plays or running through screens. Durant and Sefolosha are good defenders, and their bigs can block shots.
One other thing OKC has done well is play extremely well on their home court and make it count. They're a good road team too. They also have a relatively strong bench, although if they lose Cook for the rest of the season it will be an important loss for them. Their record is no fluke.

ElNono
03-25-2012, 01:31 AM
BTW, I do agree with Westbrook being a chucker and possibly mentally retarded. But now they have a vet PG to go to at the end of games if Westbrick makes an appearance.

therealtruth
03-25-2012, 01:39 AM
@ElNono

The best defense against Kobe has always been to egg him on to shoot and take tough contested shots. You don't want him involving his teammates otherwise it makes it a much tougher game. That's the adjustment MJ made in trusting his teammates. Kobe still doesn't get it.

therealtruth
03-25-2012, 01:41 AM
Our biggest issue was ZBo going AllStar and the fact that they had terrific perimeter defense. Battier and Tony Allen are nothing to sneeze at. They'll make any of your guards work for everything. Luckily Battier is gone.

But the Lakers don't have any of that. Kobe is way over the hill defensively. Artest can only guard one of Manu, Tony or Jack. Sessions is quick, but I don't think he's a good defender. They've also been a fairly mediocre road team and at home, they had to fight to win almost every game.

Well, they run a perimeter oriented offense and our perimeter defense has been relatively weak, especially on ISO plays or running through screens. Durant and Sefolosha are good defenders, and their bigs can block shots.
One other thing OKC has done well is play extremely well on their home court and make it count. They're a good road team too. They also have a relatively strong bench, although if they lose Cook for the rest of the season it will be an important loss for them. Their record is no fluke.

Memphis had a weak perimeter game but the Spurs played off their shooters the entire series because they were worried about the hole in the middle of their defense with Bonner/Blair. Give any team enough open shots and they'll knock them down. It also helped they had a clutch 3pt shooter in Battier.

TheSkeptic
03-25-2012, 01:43 AM
The best defense against Kobe has always been to egg him on to shoot and take tough contested shots. You don't want him involving his teammates otherwise it makes it a much tougher game. That's the adjustment MJ made in trusting his teammates. Kobe still doesn't get it.

And I'm not complaining.:hat

But as a fan of basketball I do find that rather aggravating.

therealtruth
03-25-2012, 01:50 AM
Pop needs to start planning long-term. The Spurs are not getting out of the West playing Bonner significant minutes and keeping Blair as a starter. You have to play your best players and that includes Tiago. Something that shouldn't be overlooked is the fact that playing them together should give Tim the energy he needs to produce offensively and defensively.

I don't want Pop fired or anything, but I hope he doesn't let the wins get to his head. There's way too many fans (and coaches it seems) who are happy just going with the flow as long as they're winning *right this minute*.

Ladies and Gentlemen: Exhibit A.

Good point. I couldn't stand losing game 6 against the Grizzlies with Bonner playing as many minutes as he did. Dice suffered a stinger and Pop replaced him with Bonner. By the time Dice went back in Randolph was on fire and closed it out.

To have the best chance to win we'll need the Big 3 + Tiago,KL,SJax soaking up the majority of the minutes.

ElNono
03-25-2012, 01:52 AM
OKC had a weak perimeter game but the Spurs played off their shooters the entire series because they were worried about the hole in the middle of their defense with Bonner/Blair. Give any team enough open shots and they'll knock them down. It also helped they had a clutch 3pt shooter in Battier.

You mean Memphis...

Blair didn't play much in that series, tbh. It was mostly Dice, Tim, Bonner and eventually some of Tiago. And sure, ZBo was a beast and Gasol played well, but you also can't discount that Allen and Battier played really well. We also were trotting RJ out there who was basically sleepwalking through the games. If not for Neal, it might not even have been a 6 game series.

Spurs da champs
03-25-2012, 01:52 AM
Do you really think the biggest issue was Z-Bo going all star or Bonner/Blair/McDyess being the ones guarding him?
ElNono the only big who can block shots is Ibaka & nearly all the blocks he had against the Spurs resulted in 2nd chance points for us. Their bench is not really strong tbh, I mean they have Harden off the bench & that's it. Like I said they're a very small team the biggest guy they have is Ibaka at 6'10, Tim shouldn't have any trouble using pump fakes & getting him into foul trouble (same with Tiago) & then just shoot over Perkins/Collison/Nazr.

And trust me man I hate the Lakers as much as anyone but you're really underestimating them, we'll just wait & see tho.

Also don't forget Barnes is a solid defender as well.

ElNono
03-25-2012, 02:03 AM
Do you really think the biggest issue was Z-Bo going all star or Bonner/Blair/McDyess being the ones guarding him?
ElNono the only big who can block shots is Ibaka & nearly all the blocks he had against the Spurs resulted in 2nd chance points for us. Their bench is not really strong tbh, I mean they have Harden off the bench & that's it. Like I said they're a very small team the biggest guy they have is Ibaka at 6'10, Tim shouldn't have any trouble using pump fakes & getting him into foul trouble (same with Tiago) & then just shoot over Perkins/Collison/Nazr.

They rickrolled us by 30 early in the season, and that was the 3rd game of a back2back2back for them. That game was over by half time. Nick Collison looked like Wilt when guarded by Bonner. They're a good team. They're well coached, and reaching the WCF last season was no fluke.

Sure, the Spurs have a different look now, and that changes things, but they're a much more talented team than, say, LA. Westbrook can be a mental midget sometimes, but he's and AllStar and a force (unlike Sessions), KD is a legit star at the top of his game, and Harden is easily the 6th man of the season. They have bigs that defend well.

And trust me man I hate the Lakers as much as anyone but you're really underestimating them, we'll just wait & see tho.

Well, we'll see. To me, it's plainly laid out. Kobe has more authority than the coach. And the coach isn't that great to begin with.

Also don't forget Barnes is a solid defender as well.

Barnes is a punk and another guy that can't create his own shot. He's the epitome of run and gun. I honestly can't wait until he tries to pull some shit on his former buddy Capt Jack. Heck, I dare him to try.

ElNono
03-25-2012, 02:07 AM
Don't get me wrong. I've been preaching for the sudden change of Bonner into the 4th/5th big role forever now. I want Tiago/Tim. I don't think it will happen, but I do want that.

Spurs da champs
03-25-2012, 02:22 AM
I don't get how you're saying that Mike Brown is a bad coach for letting Kobe shoot so much but Brooks does the exact same thing with Westbrook.Hell even Durant defers to Westbrook.
And again I ask you for which bigs that defend well? Collison is a solid defender but he's undersized & all Ibaka does is block shots that result in 2nd chance points for the opposing team & Perkins is just overrated as hell.
And at the time being I want Blair being the one not playing, I'd rather see Tim starting with Diaw & Bonner/Splitter coming off the bench

TheSkeptic
03-25-2012, 02:24 AM
@ElNono

I think that's what makes it so frustrating. That would be an advantage against most teams and it seems like those two are looking better and better when they play together despite their lack of minutes.

I could just be seeing things but it honestly looks to me like Tim isn't babysitting Tiago the way he does Blair when the Twin Tower line-up's being used.

This alone could make a huge difference in the playoffs and it's really frustrating to see this opportunity get wasted. I mean not a whole lot of us thought Splitter would be this good and he could really help the team when it matters. It's just really sad to see...

ElNono
03-25-2012, 02:52 AM
I don't get how you're saying that Mike Brown is a bad coach for letting Kobe shoot so much but Brooks does the exact same thing with Westbrook.Hell even Durant defers to Westbrook.

The problem with Westbrook isn't that he takes too many shots (like Kobe), his problem is with decision making (ie: taking ill advised shots) in crunch time. They're two completely different problems. Westbrook's game is dominant for the first 44 minutes of the game. There's no doubt about it.
Why do you think they brought in Fisher? It isn't to play a lot of minutes.

And again I ask you for which bigs that defend well? Collison is a solid defender but he's undersized & all Ibaka does is block shots that result in 2nd chance points for the opposing team & Perkins is just overrated as hell.

Well, we disagree. Perkins is an above average defender, especially against non-athletic bigs (like, I don't know, Tim... Tiago?), while Ibaka is a guy that due to his shot blocking makes it a real problem for guards to penetrate and get easy looks. I mean, I know we beat them a week or so ago, but if you actually watch them with any regularity, the fact their bigs aren't that much of an offensive treat is the least of their problems.

And at the time being I want Blair being the one not playing, I'd rather see Tim starting with Diaw & Bonner/Splitter coming off the bench

I don't want to see Matty in the playoffs, period. Blair didn't play last season because he went into some depressive spiral after losing the starting spot where he couldn't stop eating whataburgers, and I can certainly see where he wouldn't fit in some matchups (ie: LA), but I'm not going to dog on him without actually seeing him fail.

Sure, I much rather see Tiago in front of them. We agree on that. As far as Boris, I think it depends on what he picks up from here on out. He's one guy that might not be ready both offensively and defensively to play within the system (like Tiago last season). So as far as potential, sure. But practically speaking, we'll have to wait and see.

therealtruth
03-25-2012, 04:29 AM
@ElNono

I think that's what makes it so frustrating. That would be an advantage against most teams and it seems like those two are looking better and better when they play together despite their lack of minutes.

I could just be seeing things but it honestly looks to me like Tim isn't babysitting Tiago the way he does Blair when the Twin Tower line-up's being used.

This alone could make a huge difference in the playoffs and it's really frustrating to see this opportunity get wasted. I mean not a whole lot of us thought Splitter would be this good and he could really help the team when it matters. It's just really sad to see...

I remember TD saying during the Grizzlies series that he was paying too much attention to Randolph when he should have been paying attention to Gasol.

TD shouldn't have to defend two guys. With Splitter being able to hold his own he would have been able to focus on locking down Gasol. Randolph would have had to score over Splitter's length. The perimeter defenders wouldn't have had to sag into the paint so much and leave the Grizzlies open on the perimeter. We've beat teams with allstar power forwards before. We used to beat the Suns even though Stoudemire would get his points.

TheSkeptic
03-25-2012, 04:53 AM
I remember TD saying during the Grizzlies series that he was paying too much attention to Randolph when he should have been paying attention to Gasol.

TD shouldn't have to defend two guys. With Splitter being able to hold his own he would have been able to focus on locking down Gasol. Randolph would have had to score over Splitter's length. The perimeter defenders wouldn't have had to sag into the paint so much and leave the Grizzlies open on the perimeter. We've beat teams with allstar power forwards before. We used to beat the Suns even though Stoudemire would get his points.

Really? So maybe I'm not imagining things.

Yeah. At his age that's really unfair imo. But if Duncan actually said something like that *to the media*, why hasn't the coach tried to accommodate him a little bit better?

Judging by those comments I think it's safe to say that Tim's preference would be to have more help as opposed to reduced minutes. Yet he's out there starting with Blair every game as if Memphis never happened. Diaw would be better but I haven't seen enough to think he'd be better than Tiago on defense.

I just don't get Pop's reasoning. Doesn't he want to win? :depressed

pgardn
03-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Really? So maybe I'm not imagining things.

Yeah. At his age that's really unfair imo. But if Duncan actually said something like that *to the media*, why hasn't the coach tried to accommodate him a little bit better?

Judging by those comments I think it's safe to say that Tim's preference would be to have more help as opposed to reduced minutes. Yet he's out there starting with Blair every game as if Memphis never happened. Diaw would be better but I haven't seen enough to think he'd be better than Tiago on defense.

I just don't get Pop's reasoning. Doesn't he want to win? :depressed

Based on last night he wants to win against crappy teams in the last few minutes. He got Duncan off the bench to clean up the mess.

He has many more options now against a team like the Grizzlies. And last year Randolph was in beast mode on just about everyone in the playoffs. I also am not sure why Pop has not tried it more. But its definitely not a Gasol-Bynum type pairing.

maverick1948
03-25-2012, 09:00 AM

I have been a Spurs fan longer than most on this board have been living. Maverick was a nickname from 1954 when I was a 6 yr old kid. And I still trust Greg Popovich over Brown or Hollins. For that matter, there is not a coach active in the NBA that I would take over him. Yes I was a fan of the Dallas Chaps until they moved to SA. I stayed a fan because I liked the ABA style of play. Dallas Mavericks did not come into the NBA until 1981 and I have hated them since then. So by pointing out my name as a reason for not being right or wrong is NOT acceptable. Prove your point with some reason to back it up. My point was Pop is playing for the playoffs not the regular season and doing a damn good job. We still dont have the deep PF needs, but we are doing quite well with what we have and POP is the reason.

maverick1948
03-25-2012, 09:00 AM

I have been a Spurs fan longer than most on this board have been living. Maverick was a nickname from 1954 when I was a 6 yr old kid. And I still trust Greg Popovich over Brown or Hollins. For that matter, there is not a coach active in the NBA that I would take over him. Yes I was a fan of the Dallas Chaps until they moved to SA. I stayed a fan because I liked the ABA style of play. Dallas Mavericks did not come into the NBA until 1981 and I have hated them since then. So by pointing out my name as a reason for not being right or wrong is NOT acceptable. Prove your point with some reason to back it up. My point was Pop is playing for the playoffs not the regular season and doing a damn good job. We still dont have the deep PF needs, but we are doing quite well with what we have and POP is the reason.

silverblk mystix
03-25-2012, 09:29 AM

I would take Pop over those coaches too...but those coaches don't have the personnel that Pop has and they do seem to make do with less. Regardless, that is not really the point...

The point is that if you look at the last 4 seasons...Pop has made some baffling decisions in personnel and has morphed into a Don Nelson-type coach who only pays lip-service to defense and never really makes it a priority. Some people here say that it is because of personnel...yet all you have to do is look at the Bonner/Blair/Tiago rotation to see that the best of those 3 defensively plays less minutes and definitely does not play in crunch-time. Splitter doesn't even play with TD, who is the other Spurs big who can play defense.

One last point is that last year--this was the same scenario--the Spurs were winning so Pop is doing great, 4 titles, hall of famer,etc...

Then Pop completely bungled the Memphis series....that is the main concern here...that I don't think anyone can trust that Pop won't trot out Bonner/Blair against a big frontline and bury Tiago on the bench....also the fact that if TD/Tiago don't see enough time together...it won't work in the playoffs when thrown together at the last minute. (then everyone will just say that TD/Tiago don't play well together and of course--defend Pop's decisions again,etc...lather-rinse-repeat..)

You and I both must be one of the few here who have been fans since they were the Chapparrals....:toast

TJastal
03-25-2012, 09:58 AM
If Pop would have acquired the right big (Turiaf) I would say yes (to the OP). With Diaw I'm not sure how he fits in, whether he's getting Bonner's minutes, Blair's or Tiago's. He should logically get Blair's, but that hasn't happened and Blair just scored 23 against a shitty hornets frontline so we'll probably keep seeing more Blair unfortunately.

TJastal
03-25-2012, 10:03 AM

but Pop waited til it was too late...and he seems to be doing the exact same thing this year...the worst part is not allowing TD & Splitter to develop chemistry all season long ...aad now (IF Pop ever pairs them in the playoffs) may already be too late to make the TD/Splitter tandem pay dividends.

So how do you know that Tim and Tiago haven't been practicing together? Huh Pop hater, bet you didn't think of that, did ya?

DPG21920
03-25-2012, 10:06 AM

What is this statement intended to mean?

In the small sample size last season, the results were fairly strong. This year, in the small sample size you've got a mixed bag although the games lately have shown extremely high upside.

The point is I guess that it's a small sample size and in order to get a meaningful sample, Pop must play them together which he is not doing.

pgardn
03-25-2012, 10:11 AM
So how do you know that Tim and Tiago haven't been practicing together? Huh Pop hater, bet you didn't think of that, did ya?

Practice?

we talkn practice?

Most of the Pop haters actually live at the training facility. They even know Tiago's favorite food and his snake/spider phobia.

silverblk mystix
03-25-2012, 10:45 AM

:lol

Oh sure, CIA Pop...secretly preparing TD/Tiago at practice...and ready to unleash them to the world in the playoffs!

TheSkeptic
03-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Based on last night he wants to win against crappy teams in the last few minutes. He got Duncan off the bench to clean up the mess.

He has many more options now against a team like the Grizzlies. And last year Randolph was in beast mode on just about everyone in the playoffs. I also am not sure why Pop has not tried it more. But its definitely not a Gasol-Bynum type pairing.

That strategy has never worked for anyone in the playoffs.

Obviously not the same players but the same principle at work imo: Starting your most productive players unless there's a good reason not to like with Manu and his injuries. The Spurs do that at pretty much every other position. This should be no expectation.

If the offense is a concern he needs to use those hall of fame skills of his to work something out.

I don't care how deep the team is at the wings, they're not going anywhere if the frontcourt rotation doesn't change. It's not like Blair and Bonner are multiple all stars anyway and if Pop fails to make the right move the Spurs are going home prematurely yet again this year.

TJastal
03-25-2012, 12:50 PM
:lol

Oh sure, CIA Pop...secretly preparing TD/Tiago at practice...and ready to unleash them to the world in the playoffs!

Damn right he's been. I predict after unleashing the dynamic duo and sweeping the lakers in the 2nd round they'll grace the cover of SI, both scowling and gripping basketballs like grapefruits in one hand and Pop sandwiched in the middle with that big 'ol shit eating grin of his.