PDA

View Full Version : Over Loaded?

YODA
03-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Hard to imagine this could be a problem, but does anyone think that the additions of Mills, Diaw and Jackson might cause some chemistry problems due to them taking " time" away from the other players?.

I know Injuries have been huge this year, but once Manu, Paker, Bonner, and Neal are at full strength again, wont we be over loaded at the wing positions? I worry people like Green or Neal will end up with no time at all. I feel somethign has to give and I worry the players who lose their playing time wont be able to handle their new roles. There is only some minutes to go around. Heck, not even talking about James Anderson.

Boris really helps in the big area, where we were thin at PF position. This past game probably will show how the minutes will go around with the bigs. 30 mins for Tim, 25 a piece for Bonner and Blair, AND 10-15 min for Diaw. Seems to work ok there. but the wings?

PG- TP-35 min, Mills 10-15
SG- Manu-25 min, Green 20
SF- Leanard- 25 min, Jackson 25

Neal? Anderson?

This being a little conservative with Manu and Jackson, Who I think will eventually get more minutes. This leaves litte to nothing for players like Neal and Anderson. Maybe its Green who loses min or Jackson, but something has to give and Im not sure the players can handle it, but I pray they can.

Thoughts?

Yoda

Richie
03-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Anderson will only play garbage minutes the way he has done all season, no change there.

I don't think Mills will play much more than garbage minutes, he doesn't know the system so I think Neal will keep running the point along with letting Ginobili handle the ball when he's on the court.

Jackson is gonna just play most of Jeffersons minutes with some of those going to Kawhi

Don't see any chemistry issues, I think all minutes will stay the same except for Diaw taking some Bonner/Blair minutes.

TJastal
03-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Yes it is a valid concern. Pop has got so many puzzle pieces now they are overflowing the box and he has to rework chemistry all over again which is a dangerous thing to do so close to the end.

That is why I advocated going after a smaller piece like Turiaf, someone who would be a easier fit that would fill an actual need, which is energetic post defense and shotblocking. Instead Pop opted for the multi-purpose Diaw who will be harder to fit in and doesn't do much to fill the actual need.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Pop just rested 3 rotation players and we won a road game. No, we're not overloaded.

Sausage
03-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Yeah, Gary Neal will continue to be the backup PG unless he starts to struggle, then I could see a change coming with Patty Mills.

I love the Spurs roster, they already have a pretty damn good starting lineup, but their second unit could be a starting lineup on about 25 of 30 NBA teams..

Neal-Ginobili-Jackson-Diaw-Splitter and the wildcard being Matt Bonner, he can be hit or miss.

TJastal
03-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Has the OP ever heard of the name Tiago Splitter?

Personally, I would like more Splitter, more Diaw, less Bonner and no Blair. :toast

lawKYban42w

therealtruth
03-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Yes it is a valid concern. Pop has got so many puzzle pieces now they are overflowing the box and he has to rework chemistry all over again which is a dangerous thing to do so close to the end.

That is why I advocated going after a smaller piece like Turiaf, someone who would be a easier fit that would fill an actual need, which is energetic post defense and shotblocking. Instead Pop opted for the multi-purpose Diaw who will be harder to fit in and doesn't do much to fill the actual need.

Pop failed his chemistry tests in '09 and '10. In '09 he couldn't figure out a rotation for most of the season. In '10 he couldn't figure out how to integrate Splitter. It's like it takes him a season to figure stuff out. It's something to be a little worried about.

twincam
03-25-2012, 12:45 PM
I was thinking similar thoughts. Do we have too much talent?
I'm very sure that everyone knows their roles of the team.

Nathan89
03-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Backup PG
Okc- Fisher
Lakers-Blake

I have no problems playing Neal/Manu at backup PG. Mills doesn't get to play.

Neither does Anderson.

Green should play about 15 minutes.

TheSullyMonster
03-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Pop just rested 3 rotation players and we won a road game. No, we're not overloaded.

Yeah, against New Orleans.:lol

eric365
03-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Against New Orleans that had even more player out than the spurs

TJastal
03-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Backup PG
Okc- Fisher
Lakers-Blake

I have no problems playing Neal/Manu at backup PG. Mills doesn't get to play.

Neither does Anderson.

Green should play about 15 minutes.

Green will continue to start and play 25+ minutes, and should.

TJastal
03-25-2012, 01:19 PM

Against New Orleans that had even more player out than the spurs

Anyone using that hornets game as a gauge of anything should probably just quit watching basketball. :lol

Darkwaters
03-25-2012, 01:19 PM
YODA,

Don't freak out. We have a lot of depth and thats very helpful. I think this will give us the opportunity to rest critical players at certain junctures during the season. Having depth in the post will let us sit Duncan a few more games down the stretch and still win. Having depth on the wings will let us bring Manu back into the rotation slowly and sit him right before the playoffs. It also assures us that an injury won't completely derail the whole show.

Realistically through there are going to be some players more or less left out of the rotation during the playoffs.

Blair is the biggest target to lose minutes. If Diaw plays up to his potential then Blair might be totally on the bench or playing just a token 5-10. If he plays 20-25 in the playoffs (except against very favorable lineups) then we'll be sucking.

Mills probably doesn't play. One of either Green or Neal is probably out of the rotation also.

TDMVPDPOY
03-25-2012, 01:36 PM
we so stacked reminds me of the jailblazers who couldnt manage that roster

timvp
03-25-2012, 01:43 PM
"Suddenly, we're stacked!" - Sean Elliott

:smokin

jjktkk
03-25-2012, 01:47 PM

Wrong. Because Diaw is mult-talented, that makes him eaiser to fit in. Turiaf would probably have trouble getting consistant minutes, be cause hes limited from a talent standpoint.

TJastal
03-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Wrong. Because Diaw is mult-talented, that makes him eaiser to fit in. Turiaf would probably have trouble getting consistant minutes, be cause hes limited from a talent standpoint.

Not buying the schtickk today.

Turiaf was perfect (and SIMPLE) as the guy you bring in against the bigger, tougher teams in the league which is a good handful of teams. The rest em the spurs can get by with Blair starting and getting his usual 18-22. Had Pop integrated Splitter / Duncan earlier in the season that would have been an option as well but it's not anymore.

Pop has enough problems figuring things out, last thing he needs is an enigma like Diaw who he'll probably be putzing around with in different lineups for the rest of the gotdamn year.

SenorSpur
03-25-2012, 02:07 PM
YODA,

Don't freak out. We have a lot of depth and thats very helpful. I think this will give us the opportunity to rest critical players at certain junctures during the season. Having depth in the post will let us sit Duncan a few more games down the stretch and still win. Having depth on the wings will let us bring Manu back into the rotation slowly and sit him right before the playoffs. It also assures us that an injury won't completely derail the whole show.

Realistically through there are going to be some players more or less left out of the rotation during the playoffs.

Blair is the biggest target to lose minutes. If Diaw plays up to his potential then Blair might be totally on the bench or playing just a token 5-10. If he plays 20-25 in the playoffs (except against very favorable lineups) then we'll be sucking.

Mills probably doesn't play. One of either Green or Neal is probably out of the rotation also.

I don't think Green is going anywhere. He's already gained experience playing "crunch time" minutes, hit some key shots and most of all, Pop loves him. His minutes may decrease, but I fully expect him to remain part of the rotation, going forward.

DJB
03-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Maybe its Green who loses min

I can only hope.

jjktkk
03-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Not buying the schtickk today.

Turiaf was perfect (and SIMPLE) as the guy you bring in against the bigger, tougher teams in the league which is a good handful of teams. The rest em the spurs can get by with Blair starting and getting his usual 18-22. Had Pop integrated Splitter / Duncan earlier in the season that would have been an option as well but it's not anymore.

Pop has enough problems figuring things out, last thing he needs is an enigma like Diaw who he'll probably be putzing around with in different lineups for the rest of the gotdamn year.

I don't give a shit what your buying. You haven't even seen Turiaf play, so how in the hell do you know that hes a perfect fit? Diaw has already shown his worth in the two games with the Spurs. Until you actually start watching the Spurs on TV, your better off spouting off Pop hate with your trailerhood buddy silverblk mystix, than trying to come across on here as someone with a clue.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-25-2012, 03:04 PM

It's STILL a road win minus three rotation players.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Anyone using that hornets game as a gauge of anything should probably just quit watching basketball. :lol

Anyone failing to recognize that. Road win against ANYONE minus three rotation players is a Huge positive should stop sharing their thoughts here.

Duncan2177
03-25-2012, 03:21 PM
The more depth the better.

Hoops Czar
03-25-2012, 03:37 PM
It's STILL a road win minus three rotation players.

NO was without three rotation players and two starters and if you going to insist on using Ginobili, who's missed most of the season, I'm going to throw in Okafor which makes it 4 rotation players and three starters. It's a win. Don't use missing players as an excuse.

siraulo23
03-25-2012, 03:55 PM
PG- TP-35 min, Mills 10-15
SG- Manu-25 min, Green 20
SF- Leanard- 25 min, Jackson 25

Neal? Anderson?

Yoda

Anderson wont get minutes in the playoffs or at the very least play limited minutes to bring some energy

It comes to Green/Neal imo, as we've seen Green is a very streaky shooter and when our offense become stagnant pop can play neal to help in that area

If Green plays well in the playoffs and Mills turns out to handle the backup pg role significantly better than neal, Neal would probably see his minutes down

rmt
03-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Pop failed his chemistry tests in '09 and '10. In '09 he couldn't figure out a rotation for most of the season. In '10 he couldn't figure out how to integrate Splitter. It's like it takes him a season to figure stuff out. It's something to be a little worried about.

IMO, Pop still hasn't figured out the big man rotation. Splitter averaging only 20 mins a game all season even when he's (at one point) shooting an obscene FG%.

Darkwaters
03-25-2012, 04:31 PM
I don't think Green is going anywhere. He's already gained experience playing "crunch time" minutes, hit some key shots and most of all, Pop loves him. His minutes may decrease, but I fully expect him to remain part of the rotation, going forward.

I would agree. At this point I think Neal is a much more likely target to fall out of the rotation.

Another option would be that we play a 9-10 man playoff rotation. It's happened before, but not often, and not by the Spurs (if my memory serves). Still, we're deep enough that it might make sense. And waves of fresh troops against fatigued opponents might just work.

Darkwaters
03-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Anderson wont get minutes in the playoffs or at the very least play limited minutes to bring some energy

Anderson doesn't hardly get minutes in the regular season unless multiple wings are injured or it's garbage time. In the playoffs, when the rotation tightens, does anybody have any dillusions that he'll even be active, let alone playing?

It'll take some injuries for that to happen.

YODA
03-25-2012, 04:45 PM
With the addition of Diaw, It also means alot less small ball too. Woudnt that be a fair accessment? Like someone stated, Anderson will be benched and is only seeing time due to injuries, but with less small ball and more wings, time will be cut for alot of the up and comign players.

Darkwaters
03-25-2012, 04:51 PM
With the addition of Diaw, It also means alot less small ball too. Woudnt that be a fair accessment? Like someone stated, Anderson will be benched and is only seeing time due to injuries, but with less small ball and more wings, time will be cut for alot of the up and comign players.

Well, in theory Diaw is a small ball PF.

TDMVPDPOY
03-25-2012, 04:54 PM
duncan
diaw
kl
green
parker

splitter
blair/bonner
jackson
ginoboli
neal/mills

always have a reliable big +6'11 off the bench, fkn cant stand small bigs like blair playin center

Wild Cobra Kai
03-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Well, in theory Diaw is a small ball PF.

?? Diaw is a legit PF. He happens to be very skilled and can handle the ball and shoot, but that doesn't make him a "small ball PF".

HazeGray
03-25-2012, 09:05 PM
could only follow the game on a gamecast

per stats blair was better than diaw tonight

doesn't diaw need to shorten his learning curve to realistic eat into a shortened rotation? otherwise, blair will remain the starter.

deibero
03-25-2012, 09:12 PM
could only follow the game on a gamecast

per stats blair was better than diaw tonight

doesn't diaw need to shorten his learning curve to realistic eat into a shortened rotation? otherwise, blair will remain the starter.

Diaw eating the rotation hahaha:rollin

100%duncan
03-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Depth>Overloading

lefty
03-25-2012, 09:37 PM
I can deal with overleading

We needed to add balls, depth and D, and that's what we got

Rather be safe than sorry come playoff time

Darkwaters
03-25-2012, 11:05 PM
?? Diaw is a legit PF. He happens to be very skilled and can handle the ball and shoot, but that doesn't make him a "small ball PF".

Diaw is bizarre. Hes been a full-time bigman for much of his career but was actually drafted to be a 2 guard. So while he has the skills and ability to play in the post full-time (and has successfully), he also brings the same skills that a small ball 4 should bring: better foot speed, above average shooting and passing, ballhandling, etc. Guard skills.

Diaw has been on the team for 3 days...and played a game every day. He hasn't had a single practice with the team. Hold your horses...all in good time.

InRareForm
03-25-2012, 11:07 PM
#goodteamproblems