PDA

View Full Version : Injury Update: Tim Duncan (rest), Tiago Splitter (back) and Gary Neal (foot) out

Mel_13
03-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Looks like Spurs Tim Duncan will sti tonight against #Sixers, joining Gary Neal and Tiago Splitter on the sidelines.

http://twitter.com/#!/BobCooney76

timvp
03-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Good find, Mel_13 :tu

It might be time to be worried about Splitter. The guy has had so many strains, pulls, spasms and other muscle injuries in his career that it has to be at least somewhat alarming. The Spurs need him tonight and he again can't go.

Worst part is this gives Pop even more of an excuse to limit Splitter's minutes going forward. And, really, it's getting difficult to argue the logic.

Koolaid_Man
03-25-2012, 04:39 PM
When I'm surfing the net and posting on ST I let this play in the background...

Y2mjvFNOwmc

Hoops Czar
03-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Hawes and Vucevic are going to have a field day

Mel_13
03-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Pop gonna use the 2006 Phoenix Sun playbook tonight.

Nathan89
03-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Good find, Mel_13 :tu

It might be time to be worried about Splitter. The guy has had so many strains, pulls, spasms and other muscle injuries in his career that it has to be at least somewhat alarming. The Spurs need him tonight and he again can't go.

Worst part is this gives Pop even more of an excuse to limit Splitter's minutes going forward. And, really, it's getting difficult to argue the logic.

Truth. I always thought Phil Jackson should've backed up Pau with Bynum. That away Bynum didn't get hurt.:rolleyes

timvp
03-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Truth. I always thought Phil Jackson should've backed up Pau with Bynum. That away Bynum didn't get hurt.:rolleyes

Bynum missed games because his knees imploded a couple times. Splitter has missed games throughout his basketball career because he gets little strains here and little booboos there.

Mugen
03-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Having Tiago healthy for the POs is just as important as having the big 3 healthy.

Not good news.

TheSkeptic
03-25-2012, 04:47 PM
I don't think Bynum's been hurt that much this year tbh.

Ah well, let's just win tonight and hope he's ready for the next one. He needs to come back soon and the injuries are super annoying but my "bigman missing games with wear and tear during the regular season" threshold is 10 games/season.

With this being the 6th game out, however, he's getting close.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Lame
This team needs big man help like no other

Nathan89
03-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Bynum missed games because his knees imploded a couple times. Splitter has missed games throughout his basketball career because he gets little strains here and little booboos there.

Often probably injuries that normal players on normal teams play through. The fact that Pop is so protective makes him look super fragile.

VBM
03-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Per Jeff McDonald

Spurs' starters: Parker, Green, Leonard, Diaw, Blair.

Spurs Brazil
03-25-2012, 04:53 PM
I thought Tiago would be ready today. It'll be a tough game

Nathan89
03-25-2012, 04:54 PM
I expect to see high energy defense with the lineups tonight. Should be entertaining.

timvp
03-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Often probably injuries that normal players on normal teams play through. The fact that Pop is so protective makes him look super fragile.

Splitter missed games with these types of injuries in Europe, too. And for his national team. Unless there are multiple Pops out there, I don't think Splitter having a worrisome injury history is his fault . . .

GB20
03-25-2012, 04:56 PM
it seems like splitter's body is not for the NBA or basketball at all. he can not stay healthy for the last seven years.

MinuteByMinuteSports
03-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Having Tiago healthy for the POs is just as important as having the big 3 healthy.

Not good news.

Maybe I missed it, but I never saw Splitter get hurt. I know she has been hurt with injuries in past season. Anyone see him get injured?

Kuestmaster
03-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Splitter missed games with these types of injuries in Europe, too. And for his national team. Unless there are multiple Pops out there, I don't think Splitter having a worrisome injury history is his fault . . .

I live in spain and while he did miss some games here due to injuries, I don't remember him being injured so often.

Maybe the spurs staff is extra cautious with him or the condensed schedule is affecting him. Here in spain he played 2 games per week at most.

TheSkeptic
03-25-2012, 05:01 PM

I'm no doctor but if the back spasms started on Friday and he required the full 72 hours to recover he probably would be on his first treatment until tomorrow and then using heating from there. I had assumed that the medical staff had some kind of wizardry at their disposal but either way wouldn't that mean they'd be able to have him ready within a game or two?

And also, since it sounds like it's mostly strains and injuries related to strenuous activity do you think maybe there's something in his workout regiment/stretching routine that he needs to change right away or in the offseason? Like getting more flexibility and endurance as a whole? Or something?

TDMVPDPOY
03-25-2012, 05:01 PM
2nd seed in the west is not under threat anyway man

prefer a healthy team t hen going into the playoffs with one man down thats important to the team in terms of what they can field, and that is our only 2 bigs

loveforthegame
03-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Duncan deserves the rest.

I hope Pop is just being extra careful with Splitter.

Is there a timetable for Neal's return?

benefactor
03-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Pop gonna use the 2006 Phoenix Sun playbook tonight.
Might as well. No reason to play defense...just run like hell and come what may.

Darkwaters
03-25-2012, 05:13 PM
I honestly assumed this might be a surrender game. You know, start Dentmon, Green, Leonard, Blair and Diaw. Sit Parker, Ginobili, Duncan, Splitter.

We're basically there.

slick'81
03-25-2012, 05:14 PM
its becoming obvious why pop just doesnt trust tiago

Cane
I honestly assumed this might be a surrender game. You know, start Dentmon, Green, Leonard, Blair and Diaw. Sit Parker, Ginobili, Duncan, Splitter.

We're basically there.

A surrender game on Military Appreciation Night?! :depressed

TheSkeptic
2nd seed in the west is not under threat anyway man

prefer a healthy team t hen going into the playoffs with one man down thats important to the team in terms of what they can field, and that is our only 2 bigs

:wow I...agree with you?

Thompson
03-25-2012, 05:16 PM

Parker and Diaw.

Darkwaters
03-25-2012, 05:18 PM

Well, with the French population of the team doubling recently it might be appropriate.

Cane
03-25-2012, 05:20 PM
:lol :toast

TDMVPDPOY
03-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Parker and Diaw.

whats the chances of the french alliance losing this game? cant depend on the frenchies man

Robz4000
03-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Spurs got this. Parker and Diaw gonna run shop. Blair will prolly have another monster game too.

GB20
03-25-2012, 05:32 PM
wow this guy only average twenty minutes per game and he still getting hurt? his future does not look Bright if he keeps hurting like this all the time.

timvp
03-25-2012, 05:37 PM
And also, since it sounds like it's mostly strains and injuries related to strenuous activity do you think maybe there's something in his workout regiment/stretching routine that he needs to change right away or in the offseason? Like getting more flexibility and endurance as a whole? Or something?

No idea. But hopefully it's something correctable. Worse case would be that his body just can't withstand major minutes or he has an extremely low pain threshold.

I'm hoping that Splitter is at least well enough to attend the game tonight ... unlike the last two games.

Spurs da champs
03-25-2012, 05:39 PM
wow this guy only average twenty minutes per game and he still getting hurt? his future does not look Bright if he keeps hurting like this all the time.

He's officially pathetic, guy needs to work on his conditioning big time.

loveforthegame
03-25-2012, 05:41 PM
If Splitter is that bad why not keep Dawson around? Or find another 10 day guy since we know Duncan will rest some nights with this schedule.

benefactor
03-25-2012, 05:45 PM
The Spurs will have a day off after today then play another back to back. After that, they only have one game over a five day span. Let's hope when they head out to Cleveland on April 3rd everyone is healthy and ready to go.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-25-2012, 05:49 PM
We play the lakers three times real soon, we will need splitter for those games

Spurs da champs
If Splitter is that bad why not keep Dawson around? Or find another 10 day guy since we know Duncan will rest some nights with this schedule.

I don't know maybe because Dawson sucks, not a center & we already have undersized crap with Blair.

gambit1990
how many games did splitter miss last season due to injury compared to this compressed one?

TDMVPDPOY
03-25-2012, 05:56 PM
I don't know maybe because Dawson sucks, not a center & we already have undersized crap with Blair.

have u seen dawson play besides basing assumptions from lookin at the statsheet?

Spurs da champs
03-25-2012, 05:57 PM
have u seen dawson play besides basing assumptions from lookin at the statsheet?

Yes I saw him against Portland, not very impressive & I don't make assumptions off 30 seconds of garbage time. Again he's not a center.

TheSkeptic
03-25-2012, 06:03 PM
No idea. But hopefully it's something correctable. Worse case would be that his body just can't withstand major minutes or he has an extremely low pain threshold.

I'm hoping that Splitter is at least well enough to attend the game tonight ... unlike the last two games.

My other team is Toronto (It hasn't been easy) so I don't think it's a low pain threshold since both the calf and the spasms are essentially muscle strains. Stuff that comes from the muscles getting tired and that's not a problem Tiago had before.

I wonder also if his minutes aren't a part of the problem? I get that he's someone who needs to warm up before he'll start doing damage, but maybe his shifts are too long as opposed to him just playing too many minutes.

Kind of like what happened to Bargnani this season where he aggravated his calf strain by playing really long minutes without a break (wouldn't have won without him but still).

So maybe the solution is to give Splitter enough time to warm up but also adequate rest during the game. Say 6 or 7 4 minute shifts as opposed to the 5+ it seems like he plays in this rotation? They changed up Bargnani's schedule to let him play about the same amount of minutes but in shorter stretches and he hasn't been hurt since.

If he's anything like Bargs, he'll also probably relax more if he knows he'll be getting plenty of minutes on a consistent basis. Peace of mind seemingly does more for his performance than money tbh and Tiago kind of reminds me of Andrea like that although getting paid obviously matters.

Since the playoffs are spaced out I still maintain that we'll need more of him then.

It'd be irresponsible to not give him a custom workout and conditioning schedule and plan for the best afterwards though.

Just thinking out loud tbh.

TheSkeptic
03-25-2012, 06:10 PM
how many games did splitter miss last season due to injury compared to this compressed one?

Can't figure out what the precise numbers are for last season but this season he'll have missed 6 games after this one.

In terms of wear and tear type injuries I think most bigs miss within the 5-10 range. Give or take a game so this isn't *that* outrageous.

Because he hasn't missed that many and he wasn't this bad before, I'm not ready to jump on the injury-prone bandwagon just yet. However, if this keeps up I'll be singing a different tune...

loveforthegame
03-25-2012, 06:12 PM

None of them were going to be saviors but it's an extra body to throw out there on nights like this.

Spurs da champs
03-25-2012, 06:16 PM
None of them were going to be saviors but it's an extra body to throw out there on nights like this.

I suppose but at least get a tall scrub from the D-league.

T Park
03-25-2012, 06:29 PM
The people that bitched about Pop treating Splitter with kid gloves are as always noticeably silent.

T Park
03-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Brno Udrih and Rex Chapman think Tiago is injury prone..

TheSkeptic
03-25-2012, 06:43 PM
The people that bitched about Pop treating Splitter with kid gloves are as always noticeably silent.

I'm still here :lol

Already explained what I make of it and while I understand the reasoning (always did) I'm going to wait and see if the 10+ games missed threshold is made first.

Always hated the rotation as it stood anyway though.

DPG21920
03-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Stupid^^

TheSkeptic
03-25-2012, 06:44 PM
^^

Hey, I'm prepared to admit I was wrong.

DPG21920
03-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Not you, T parks comment

TheSkeptic
03-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Oh. My mistake then.

Which comment of T park's did you disagree with?

T Park
03-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Not you, T parks comment

Yeah there's such little evidence.

GB20
03-25-2012, 06:49 PM
jack is having a bad game

TheSkeptic
03-25-2012, 06:54 PM
^^ I hope he's not hurt as well.

MI21
03-25-2012, 07:00 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tgsyakYyQyk/SBgARf3R_NI/AAAAAAAAAHA/L7YZKeO78lU/s400/ugly.jpg

"Not to fussed about Tiago, he is a blue collar guy. I'm just glad Matty is good to go, we need him to be putting in starter minutes heading towards the playoffs"