PDA

View Full Version : What is up with Neal??....

spursnatic
03-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Man Neal was so clutch his first year here with the Spurs....Now he has been in a slump...Starting to remind me of Roger Mason Jr a few years back....Saved our ass a few games, was so clutch and then just became a non factor....Hope Neal isn't catching the Roger Mason Disease??.....

timvp
03-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Yeah dude sucked tonight! He just couldn't hit a shot!

BoricuaSpursFan
03-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Gary will be ok. He is just hammered with some injuries.
http://ct.fra.bz/ol/fz/sw/i45/5/2/21/fbz_7b67f0a09edb067a17d58e206a01a380.jpg

jestersmash
03-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Yeah, his near 40% shooting (39.6) from the 3 point line is really killing us this year.

Now last season..boy was he a factor from 3! He shot a scorching 41.9% that season.

I've never seen someone fall off a cliff to the extent that Neal did with his 3 point shooting. 41.9% --> 39.6% is just unacceptable.

Leetonidas
03-25-2012, 10:12 PM
rZNKqA1DwQY

spursince#99
03-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Yeah, his near 40% shooting (39.6) from the 3 point line is really killing us this year.

Now last season..boy was he a factor from 3! He shot a scorching 41.9% that season.

I've never seen someone fall off a cliff to the extent that Neal did with his 3 point shooting. 41.9% --> 39.6% is just unacceptable.

:lmao you forgot the blue font :lmao

100%duncan
03-25-2012, 10:15 PM
:lol dumb thread after another

03-25-2012, 10:15 PM
roger mason curse?

dude is fine.

TDMVPDPOY
03-25-2012, 10:16 PM
his better off being a spot up shooter then someone who has to be ballhandler. Heck green controls the ball more in the halfcourt compared NEAL and he does a better job, maybe that is taking his mojo away from open 3s....i think someone should be given the job to be the ball handler and making plays, pops just wasting his shooting talent who has a better efficiency then others....

lefty
03-25-2012, 10:18 PM
He is feeling threatened

Jax is gonna tap dat ass

Kurik
03-25-2012, 10:18 PM
When it comes to clutch shots I think Neal has still been very good this year, I just hope his injury doesn't linger.

freetiago
03-25-2012, 10:43 PM
he came into the season earlier then he had to from surgery and started out slow
then hes had multiple injuries and inconsistent playing time
on top of that all he does is shoot, but hes being forced to handle the ball
he should be the 2 and only the 2
rather have green/leonard bring the ball up the court and have neal just shoot
hes still one of the best in the league at that

BackHome
03-25-2012, 10:59 PM
It is hard for him to play PG and also be the scorer that we look for. I think once Mills starts to play you will see him do what he does best and that is hit the open three.....

Spursfan092120
03-25-2012, 11:22 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmbz14rsrF1qf0cwi.png

Sense
03-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Read the title, guessed GNSF... was correct.

gospursgojas
03-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Read the title, guessed GNSF... was correct.

I usually dont play the GNSF card...but gotdam its been thread after thread lately from them.

100%duncan
03-26-2012, 12:09 AM
i usually dont play the gnsf card...but gotdam its been thread after thread lately from them.

+ fucking 1000

timtonymanu
03-26-2012, 12:29 AM
:lol RMJ comparisons.

Mason was already out of the rotation his second year on a weak Spurs roster where his competition was Michael Finley and Keith Bogans, both who currently aren't in the NBA.

Neal is still an important part of the team even though the Spurs have so much depth. Oh and he's a much better scorer than Mason.

Crazymaddopeyo
03-26-2012, 12:35 AM
I mean these threads have to be made by trolls owned by non-greys to keep the GNSF thing going.....right?

Obstructed_View
03-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Yeah dude sucked tonight! He just couldn't hit a shot!

What game were you watching? He didn't miss a single one! Hater.

The ADMIRAL 50
03-26-2012, 02:34 AM
What game were you watching? He didn't miss a single one! Hater.

:lol

Boys, boys; you both make valid points.

Ice009
03-26-2012, 04:16 AM
Also, is it a coincidence that the Spurs haven't hit hardly any 3 pointers in the two games that Gary Neal has been out? Two of the worst 3 point shooting nights of the season for the Spurs and Gary Neal didn't play in either game. Just an observation.

TJastal
03-26-2012, 04:39 AM
Regardless of the OP's misdirected rant, Pop had better figure out a way to keep Gary Neal in the rotation, he's too good to be left out.

spursnatic
03-26-2012, 06:41 AM
Hey I am not dissing him, I love Gary Neal...But as any true SPURS Fan knows how everyone was loving what Mason was bringing to this team his first year...And then the second year he just went to shit...Not saying Gary Neal will do that either...Just saying before he would release the ball I was Yelling Buckets cause I knew it was going in....But lately I say that and it's like Brick Brick...

Darkwaters
03-26-2012, 07:05 AM
Regardless of the OP's misdirected rant, Pop had better figure out a way to keep Gary Neal in the rotation, he's too good to be left out.

Trimming this rotation is going to be hard. Hell, establishing one is going to be hard.

Duncan? Check
Parker? Check
Ginobili? Check
Jackson? Check
Leonard? Check
Splitter? Check
Diaw? Keep up the hard work. Learn the system...Check
Mills? Well, we NEED a backup PG, right? Check
Blair? But he brings energy! Check
Bonner? Could Pop really part with this guy? Check
Neal? Ugly but effective. And CLUTCH. Check
Green? Hes so disruptive to the other team! Check

Ok, so we have a 12 man rotation. Does anyone seriously have any dillusions that anything remotely close to this might happen?

At some point we're going to have to make some tough cuts to ensure that the best players are maximizing their time on the court.

Horse
03-26-2012, 07:20 AM
So do you just need something to complain about?

TJastal
03-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Trimming this rotation is going to be hard. Hell, establishing one is going to be hard.

Duncan? Check
Parker? Check
Ginobili? Check
Jackson? Check
Leonard? Check
Splitter? Check
Diaw? Keep up the hard work. Learn the system...Check
Mills? Well, we NEED a backup PG, right? Check
Blair? But he brings energy! Check
Bonner? Could Pop really part with this guy? Check
Neal? Ugly but effective. And CLUTCH. Check
Green? Hes so disruptive to the other team! Check

Ok, so we have a 12 man rotation. Does anyone seriously have any dillusions that anything remotely close to this might happen?

At some point we're going to have to make some tough cuts to ensure that the best players are maximizing their time on the court.

You don't just give up on you're most clutch shooter.

There is a way to fit him in.

First cut:

Mills won't be necessary unless there is a matchup problem like CP3 or Lawson that requires a quick guard to stay in front.

Second cut:

1. Bench Blair and take him out of the rotation and start Diaw instead. Leave the Bonner / Tiago bench combo intact.

or

2. Start Blair and try the Diaw / Tiago combo. In theory it should work since Diaw can shoot 3's. In 4 years we haven't seen a successful playoffs from Matt Bonner so this is most likely not a big loss.

Can't really say which one I'm leaning toward more yet. Going to have to see more of Diaw to make any additional thoughts.

Anyhow, this would effectively gives the spurs a solid 10 man rotation, and as someone said it won't be any single player that allows the spurs to win #5 it'll be the depth which will play an even bigger role in a condensed season like this. And as I look around the league I see scant few playoff teams who could easily roll out a solid 10 man rotation.

TJastal
03-26-2012, 07:54 AM
Hate to say it, but sad thing is, for the remaining 19 or so games we'll probably end up watching Pop dink around with various combinations and lineups like an excited kid with his new tinker toy set, meanwhile the rest of the top tier teams will be solidyfing rotations, fine tuning chemistry, and generally becoming ready for playoff basketball.

Darkwaters
03-26-2012, 08:07 AM
You don't just give up on you're most clutch shooter.

There is a way to fit him in.

First cut:

Mills won't be necessary unless there is a matchup problem like CP3 or Lawson that requires a quick guard to stay in front.

Second cut:

1. Bench Blair and take him out of the rotation and start Diaw instead. Leave the Bonner / Tiago bench combo intact.

or

2. Start Blair and try the Diaw / Tiago combo. In theory it should work since Diaw can shoot 3's. In 4 years we haven't seen a successful playoffs from Matt Bonner so this is most likely not a big loss.

Can't really say which one I'm leaning toward more yet. Going to have to see more of Diaw to make any additional thoughts.

Anyhow, this would effectively gives the spurs a solid 10 man rotation, and as someone said it won't be any single player that allows the spurs to win #5 it'll be the depth which will play an even bigger role in a condensed season like this. And as I look around the league I see scant few playoff teams who could easily roll out a solid 10 man rotation.

Trust me, I understand. It's hard to make cuts. But we have to start somewhere.

Splits
03-26-2012, 04:00 PM
OP, just because some random Spurs-related thought pops into your pea-sized brain doesn't mean you need to immediately login to SpursTalk and tell the rest of us your random thought which you haven't done the slightest bit of research to figure out if there is any truth to.

Neal's missed the past two games. The 6 games prior to that, he shot 10/21 from 3. That doesn't sound like a "slump".

will_spurs
03-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Gary Neal sucked in Europe. No matter how much I told the idiots in this forum that they refused to accept it.

Now you are finding out the truth about him.

Malik Hairston for example is a way better player than him.

And all this time I was convinced Manu_Forever was a legit poster :lmao

Now trying to salvage what can be from this thread:

Neal will make the playoffs rotation for sure. He's just too clutch not to. This guy has ice running in his veins and that's all the playoffs are about.

Mills isn't needed because Manu can backup Tony, and if worse comes to worst Neal is doing ok, and even Diaw could bring the ball up the court. Hell, even Kawhi does it regularly.

Blair is likely to see his minutes reduced unless there's a good matchup for him.

Green seems too inconsistent to warrant serious minutes in the playoffs.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
03-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Gary Neal sucked in Europe. No matter how much I told the idiots in this forum that they refused to accept it.

:lol Oh no....

Anonymous Cowherd
03-26-2012, 04:44 PM

Wasn't he the top scorer in the Italian league when he played in Italy, and the top scorer in the Turkish league when he played in Turkey?

Robz4000
03-26-2012, 05:45 PM
The rotation won't get shorter than 10, and there will be changes depending on the opponents. So lets look at the possible first round match-ups the Spurs may face:

First, the physical big teams aka LAL and Memphis:

Duncan/Splitter - need a big on the floor at all times so this works
Blair/Diaw - Blair can bang and be extremely physical, so start him and see how it looks. If he gets reamed then bring in Diaw to guard Pau/Zbo.
Kawhi/SJax - Either will be used to shut down Kobe/Gay.
Green/Manu - Both will be hopefully allowed to roam defensively in order to create chaos, as both seem to shine when in this situation (though both can guard the #2 perimeter option such as OJ or Sessions). Only reason Green starts is to keep the Neal/Manu backcourt intact for dual PG reasons.
Parker/Neal - Parker is the #1 option these days, the only true PG, and the lone allstar. The gameplan of any opposing team will be to shut him down. Neal works as a backup PG generally, and having him and Manu on the court together could negate any issues that may come up such as Conley shutting TP down like he did last year (they could just move the ball up via passing to each other when Conley gives fullcourt pressure).

That line-up can also offer the best defensive potential to match up against the quality D both teams bring to the table.

Then there's matchups where the opposing D won't be as gruesome, such as the Clippers, Nuggets, and Rockets:

Duncan/Splitter - These teams, especially the Rockets, have a couple 7-footers to throw around, but they are generally all Centers. Therefore it isn't imperative for the Spurs to play both Splitter and Duncan together. Both can also thrive in their respective matchups against starters and backups.
Blair/Diaw - Blair's size wouldn't be as important, and he could potentially have an advantage against the opposing bigs in Scola/Griffin with his physical play, as he's had in the past. Diaw can basically guard any of the PFs he may face (if his D continues to look as good as it has).
SJax/Leonard - None of these teams have a superstar-caliber scorer Leonard would need to check, so SJax could be depended on to handle Martin/Butler/Afflalo, Wilson Chandler, Al Harrington (whoever Denver plays at the 3 these days) while offering his offensive talents. If push comes to shove and Sjax can't get it done just move Leonard back to the starting lineup.
Manu/Neal - The Manu/Neal backcourt won't be as effective here, so putting Manu back in the starting line-up to give energetic offense and defense while having Neal come in to light up the offense (or to potentially match the opposing shooters when they get going) would create a SG nightmare against any of these teams.
Parker/Mills- Parker can handle Lowry (if he comes back) and CP3 no problem. Lawson may be an issue but I feel he'll gradually find a way to match his speed. Mills will be needed to counter Dragic but can also be an asset in defending Miller, Bledsoe, and possibly Mo Williams (though if he becomes a factor I'd like to see SJax or Leonard move onto him).

None of the teams above play any top tier D, so the Spurs could play how they have been most of the season and come out on top. These would represent the easiest matchups (though I'd put Houston as the toughest in this category due to the length of their Centers and how close games against them have been this season).

Then there's the Jazz and Suns. These teams represent the middle ground, as both have length and some sharp shooters. Though the Jazz's 3-point shooting is not on the level of the Suns, they make up for it with scoring in and around the paint. The best line-up here would seem to be this:

Duncan/Splitter - Blair would be at a mismatch against either, as he can't compete with Jefferson/Gortat's length and ability to score away from the basket (less so for Al), so he's best utilized only in dire times. Timmy and Tiago can contain Al/Marcin well enough as is.
Diaw/Bonner - This could be where the Spurs have no answer. Millsap has really developed into one of the premier PFs of the Western Conference; many teams have tried and failed to contain him. The best scenario for the Spurs would be to offset his production by matching it, which Diaw and Bonner should be capable of (provided Bonner doesn't disappear again, in which case Blair should take his place). Whatever D they provide is just a bonus. It's less so for Frye, as he's been inconsistent this year. If he gets hot from three, it's best to hope Bonner matches.
SJax/Leonard - Like with Houston, LAC, and Denver, there are no star scoring threats, so I'd like to see SJax start here. He can be reasonably expected to keep Dudley and Grant from going off. It'd be most important for him to hold down Miles in a potential Jazz matchup as he's the Jazz's strongest (and at many times only) 3-point shooting threat. Should he fail it wouldn't be too hard for Leonard to come in and cool them off (provided it's early enough in the game).
Manu/Green - Their energy and length will be key to keeping Nash/Harris from developing any consistent rhythm, and their explosiveness can really turn the tables quickly. If Green plays poorly move him for Neal and go for the same gameplan as the Houston/LAC/Denver matchup.
Parker/Mills - No need to worry about D from Nash or Devin Harris, but both can dish out assists quite well (only recently in Harris' case). Haven't really paid much attention to the individual matchup of these two against Tony in the past, so if there's any issues just bring Patty in to keep up the speed and try to mix it up.

These two would cause the Spurs a bit more problems, the Jazz due to their length and the Suns due to how hard they play the Spurs. In the end this would be the second easiest for the Spurs.

The toughest series I feel the Spurs would face is OKC (which at this point is all but likely if the Spurs reach the WCF). They're athletic, physical, have allstar talent, and most likely homecourt to boot. In that situation I'd like to see:
Duncan/Splitter - Duncan or Splitter would need to be in the game at all times to rebound and guard the rim. They can also be counted on to get easy buckets but in this matchup I don't expect too much offensively. Just keep Ibaka from affecting play on both sides as much as possible.
Blair/Diaw - Blair for some reason comes to play against OKC. Unless it changes in game 1, I'd like Pop to let him have his chances to score. He can handle Perkins' physical play, and isn't intimidated in the least. Not sure how Boris would react to Perkins' game, but it couldn't be worse than Bonner's playoff form. I might support using Bonner first for whenever Collison is in to see if he'd elevate his play, but if not let Boris have a shot at making noise.
Leonard/SJax - Leonard needs to contain Durant as well as he can. He's shown the ability in the past two games, so lets see how it goes. SJax is a wild card, but I think his edge and pride would be enough to handle Harden if he isn't starting by the time the playoffs start. If he is, I'd move SJax to the 2 to guard him.
Green/Manu - Green brought it last game in OKC, so lets see if he can do it on the big stage. If not, OKC hasn't seen Manu this year and may not have a game plan for him. As stated, if Harden is starting by this time, I'd move Manu to the backup 3, Green to backup 2, and let SJax start.
Parker/Neal - This is a matchup I think Parker would not only get up for, but dominate. We all know Westbrook is gonna shoot, so the question is how effective will his shots be? If he chucks, Parker will win the series for the Spurs. If he chooses his shots carefully and makes an impact, hopefully Neal can get hot and try to return fire while playing against Fisher who prolly won't do much of anything. I honestly think it'll be the latter, as there's no way Brooks/Durant will allow him to cost the Thunder another series.

Lastly is the Mavericks. When you look at their roster, they appear to be the toughest match-up, as they play great D, have good shooters, have length in spades, and have been known to play the Spurs tough. However, the Spurs have had their number for whatever reason it seems (two blowout losses in SA while even in Dallas they came close to winning with just the bench). This is a matchup where both sides would potentially use their bench to a larger extent (with the Mavs being older and the Spurs having weapons that could potentially counter the Mavs' strengths). As of this point and from what we've seen, the lineup I'd throw out is:
Duncan/Splitter - Use Duncan against Haywood and Mahinmi, while Splitter takes whoever else they decide to throw out. If just those two, put Splitter on Haywood while Duncan takes Mahinmi. This is a matchup that favors the Spurs imo.
Blair/Bonner - As per the normal, Dirk is tough to guard, but the Spurs may have found a way to do it. Start Blair off on Dirk and see if his physicality can disrupt him. While doing that he can roll in the paint and see if he can get going offensively. Bring Bonner in when Dirk is out to counter the barrage of threes you know Dallas will hit.
Leonard/SJax - Leonard and Marion can go toe-to-toe in the beginning, provided Blair limits Dirk. If not, switch Leonard to the 4 and onto Dirk, and bring SJax in to guard Marion. If Leonard fails, move him back onto Marion and put SJax on Dirk.
Green/Manu - Jason Kidd is old, but he's crafty and a pretty good defender. Give Green a chance on him should Parker have trouble. Otherwise, all Green needs to do is keep the corpse of Vince Carter from having an impact. When Jet inevitably checks in bring Manu in to guard him/offset whatever he does.
Parker/Neal/Diaw - For whatever reason, Parker seems to have trouble against Dallas. Might be nothing, but be a problem. If not, let Parker go to work leading the offense. If he struggles, bring in Neal with Manu to run the PG for a bit and to jack up shots when the offense slows or to keep Dallas' D true. In the case of Blair, Leonard, Sjax, and Splitter fail to guard Dirk, bring in Diaw to run the PG and go super-big against Dallas. He can handle it probably as well as Neal, but won't put up the shots. However, he's shown himself to be more than capable of guarding Dirk and setting good screens on offense to offset his lack of shooting. If he can't take Dirk, at least there's Bonner...:depressed

Other than OKC, I feel a series against Dallas would be the toughest. However, the Spurs can be counted on to get up for any game against Dallas, so I don't think there'd be a problem like last year of the Spurs taking them lightly.

Many have been saying the West is wide open this year, and just looking at the standings proves it. No team is that much better than the others after OKC, San Antonio, and LAL. Therefore, it's reasonable that any team can upset another this year. Hopefully the Spurs can avoid that and reach the Finals.

/wall of text

Werdsniper2
03-27-2012, 01:22 AM
Can we get something straight here?

I watched Neal play in college. He is a SG. Neal is a pure, 100% SG. None of this PG nonsense. His best asset is his shot. The Spurs and Pop need to start understanding this. Neal drains buckets, and that is what he does best. We should keep it that way. Set him up for the shot, and he will make it.