PDA

View Full Version : Will Pop retire with Duncan?

sharkenleo
03-25-2012, 11:41 PM
What do you think?

I used to think so, but with the team we've built this season, I'm really hopeful for the future without Duncan. And if Pop stays on after Duncan, Spurs will continue to stay relevant in the West for a long time.

All that said, I hope Duncan doesn't retire anytime soon. :p:

SequSpur
03-25-2012, 11:43 PM
I hear is negotiating with New York to join them. The largest contract in NBA coaching history.

Splits
03-25-2012, 11:45 PM
^ actually, Pop taming NYC would be successful and hilarious.

gospursgojas
03-25-2012, 11:48 PM
Pops gonna be Phils asst in NY tbh

Rapper
03-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Pop will retire with Duncan when TD is 40 years old. Atfer that, Pop will sign a new contract with NYC where he could get 10 M a year

Richie
03-25-2012, 11:52 PM
If we have to rebuild through the draft I doubt pop would want to coach a losing team. It would actually be worse for a team trying to rebuild in the draft to have a good coach squeezing an extra 5 wins out of a bad team

100%duncan
03-26-2012, 12:04 AM
I want him to. Don't want to mess with his winning percentage,brah.

Spur|n|Austin
03-26-2012, 12:07 AM
Pop will retire with Duncan when TD is 40 years old. Atfer that, Pop will sign a new contract with NYC where he could get 10 M a year

I'm curious, how does one retire while signing a new contract?

sharkenleo
03-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Am I naive in thinking that Pop would not sign with another team? My thinking is when he leaves the Spurs, it's because he is retiring from coaching, period. If he wants to keep coaching, he'll stay in San Antonio.

May be overestimating his loyalty, but that's just what I think.

jestersmash
03-26-2012, 12:27 AM
Am I naive in thinking that Pop would not sign with another team? My thinking is when he leaves the Spurs, it's because he is retiring from coaching, period. If he wants to keep coaching, he'll stay in San Antonio.

May be overestimating his loyalty, but that's just what I think.

Wait, what? Is this some form of new age spurfan trolling? :lmao

You've stated exactly what most spurs fans expect Pop to do. This is the most probable scenario for Pop. Why are you making it sound like this is a long shot?

Also, for what it's worth, Pop has answered this question in one of his previous "mailbags." He's not going to coach another team in the NBA. Once he retires from coaching the spurs, he somewhat jokingly said that wouldn't be opposed to coaching a high school team just for the hell of it.

Aztecfan03
03-26-2012, 12:29 AM
If we have to rebuild through the draft I doubt pop would want to coach a losing team. It would actually be worse for a team trying to rebuild in the draft to have a good coach squeezing an extra 5 wins out of a bad team

SO it would be better to have a bad coach? And when they finally get good, bring in a new coach and new system? really?

spursdotcom
03-26-2012, 12:33 AM
My last recollection of it being mentioned was in one of our mailbags.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/pop_mailbag_0912.html

:toast

sharkenleo
03-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Wait, what? Is this some form of new age spurfan trolling? :lmao

You've stated exactly what most spurs fans expect Pop to do. This is the most probable scenario for Pop. Why are you making it sound like this is a long shot?

Also, for what it's worth, Pop has answered this question in one of his previous "mailbags." He's not going to coach another team in the NBA. Once he retires from coaching the spurs, he somewhat jokingly said that wouldn't be opposed to coaching a high school team just for the hell of it.

Ok, so the NYC people were trolling then. Good, cause that was the first I'd heard of it and thought I was out of the loop about something.

Richie
03-26-2012, 12:51 AM
SO it would be better to have a bad coach? And when they finally get good, bring in a new coach and new system? really?

Better than being stuck in a middle ground of late lottery/first round playoff fodder with no chance of really contending like Atlanta and not picking up any top level talent from the draft.

The Spurs aren't the Lakers or Celtics, we aren't going to attract top free agents so the draft is the only option, which means being bad for a few years. If you're gonna be a bad team, you might as well be a terrible team.

Duncan and Ginobili will both retire in the next couple years and unless we somehow pick up some MVP level talent, we should trade Parker for some young talent/picks.