PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Sixers - Mar. 25

timvp
03-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Three days. Three games. Three wins. And the best of the bunch for the Spurs was this latest victory over the Sixers, which came without Tim Duncan, Tiago Splitter and Gary Neal. The 93-76 win allowed the Spurs to sweep a back-to-back-to-back for the first time in nearly 34 years.

The Sixers entered the game 27-21 -- good enough for the fourth seed in the East. However, except for one stretch, the Spurs absolutely dominated. Philly went on a 15-0 run in about four and a half minutes from the end of the first quarter until the beginning of the second. Other than that spurt by the Sixers, San Antonio was better than imaginable.

Statistically, these Sixers are the best defensive team the NBA has seen since the 2004 Spurs. On this night, it was the Spurs who flexed their defensive muscle. Philadelphia was held to 27 points in the second half and shot only 41.2% for the game. The Spurs went nearly six weeks without holding a team under 90 points but have now accomplished that feat in three straight games.

The difficult stretch of games isn't over yet. After a day off tomorrow, the Spurs have a back-to-back on the road that begins in Phoenix and ends in Sacramento. My fingers are tired just from typing these grades for a third consecutive day so let's hope the Spurs have fuel to finish this exhausting stretch in style.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/vrwzh2.jpg

http://oi40.tinypic.com/1zm1089.jpg

Tony Parker A-
Against the Hornets, I criticized Tony Parker for being too passive early on. Tonight, that was definitely not the case. Parker was in attack mode from the opening tip and his aggression seemed to knock the Sixers back on their heels. He just kept attacking and created a lot of offense for himself and others. During his 32 minutes, Parker was by far the best player on the court. Defensively, he had a few miscues in the first quarter but otherwise played very well on that end of the court. Perhaps his statistics weren't pretty but this was one of Parker's most hardnosed outings of the season.

Manu Ginobili B+
In terms of his help defense, this game was a quantum leap forward for Manu Ginobili. While his one-on-one defense is still a work in progress, Ginobili was a terror when coming from off the ball. Since defense has been his main weakness lately, that was great to see. Offensively, Ginobili began slowly but he eventually found his rhythm. His passing was again great and he drove effectively to the hoop on numerous occasions. Overall, I thought Ginobili appeared more athletic than he's looked in a long while.

DeJuan Blair A
The kid may not have an ACL in his body but that didn't stop DeJuan Blair from playing with a ton of vivacity in the third night of a back-to-back-to-back. He missed four straight shots and was trying to do way too much to began the third quarter but otherwise I can't really find fault in anything else he did. Defensively, I thought he did good work when defending the post and he chased down a number of loose balls. On offense, other than his cold spell to start the second half, he finished very well and had the Sixers expending extra energy in keeping him off the offensive boards. Blair is never going to wow with his technical skill but when he plays with heart and toughness, he can be valuable.

Kawhi Leonard B+
Though Kawhi Leonard didn't have a major impact in any one area, this was one of his more well-rounded games of his rookie campaign. Defensively, he moved his feet well and showed good effort in transition defense. Most importantly, Leonard crashed the defensive glass to help camouflage the team's lack of size. Offensively, Leonard ran the court extremely well, drove to the basket in the halfcourt offense and illustrated some budding skills as a playmaker. I'm more and more impressed by his ability to handle the basketball. Some scouts thought he couldn't dribble well enough to play out on the perimeter in the NBA. Not only has he proven the doubters wrong, I'd now rate him as an above average ballhandler for an NBA small forward.

Danny Green B
Danny Green had a very Danny Green-esque game. He broke out of his slump from beyond the arc but his accuracy-challenged floater was alive and well. Green made a few mistakes on offense but also had a couple slick finds. Defensively, he was decent on the ball but was much better when offering help. All in all, I thought Green played at about 80% of his normal energy level but I can't complain about the results.

Matt Bonner A-
Doug Collins is one of the best coaches in the NBA but he did the Spurs a big favor by putting 7-foot-1 Spencer Hawes on Matt Bonner. Not only did Bonner pull Hawes out of the paint, he was able to use his mobility advantage to find open looks. Defensively, Bonner was very good against their pick-and-roll sets and was sturdy in the paint. Overall, I thought Bonner played a very clean game and did a much better job of sticking to his strengths than we've seen recently.

Boris Diaw B+
On the defensive end, Boris Diaw appears to be better than advertised. He's a bigman who can really move his feet; Diaw has switched off onto guards without missing a beat. On the low block, he's strong and crafty. Against the Sixers, he was even strong on the boards. Offensively, Diaw was passive when it came to looking for his own shot -- but, again, that's too be expected. He made smart passes and set solid screens. Diaw's ability to create plays on the perimeter as a bigman is very unique ... and should be very beneficial going forward.

Stephen Jackson C
There's good Stephen Jackson and then there's bad Stephen Jackson. Tonight, we witnessed the latter. He had five official turnovers and a handful of near turnovers. Jackson also missed open shots and stagnated the offense at times. That said, I liked that Jackson kept on competing and didn't become gun-shy. I also thought he was quite good on the defensive end. He made a few errors on that end as well but I'm beginning to think he might be the team's best perimeter defender. He's somewhat susceptible to speed but he's physical, picks up his man early and is always quick in his help-defense responsibilities.

Justin Dentmon C+
Once Patty Mills is ready, Justin Dentmon will be heading back to Austin. While he wasn't horrible, he just hasn't done anything to make the Spurs think he's more than simply a placeholder this season.

Pop A
Give credit to Pop for smartly planning how he'd attack back-to-back-to-back. He allowed each member of the Big 3 to rest a game and didn't overplay the role players … and he was rewarded with three wins. This game, Pop guided his team to a victory over a quality team without anything resembling a true center. I have no complaints about the rotation and Pop gets bonus points for being able to limit everyone's minutes. Job well done, Pop.

Rapper
03-25-2012, 11:53 PM
Kawhi is a bonus for the spurs. i didn't think that he can play like that

Beanzamillion21
03-25-2012, 11:56 PM
DeJuan Blair A
The kid may not have an ACL in his body but that didn't stop DeJuan Blair from playing with a ton of vivacity in the third night of a back-to-back-to-back. He missed four straight shots and was trying to do way too much to began the third quarter but otherwise I can't really find fault in anything else he did. Defensively, I thought he did good work when defending the post and he chased down a number of loose balls. On offense, other than his cold spell to start the second half, he finished very well and had the Sixers expending extra energy in keeping him off the offensive boards. Blair is never going to wow with his technical skill but when he plays with heart and toughness, he can be valuable.

Great write up. Sometimes I feel like the only other person on here that feels like Blair will make an impact in the playoffs.

T Park
03-25-2012, 11:59 PM
The team's defense is twice as good as it was last year. If splitter ever gets healthy and they can get some continuity going there's no reason this team can't defend well enough to be a contender.

100%duncan
03-26-2012, 12:02 AM
my question is, where did LJ find a stat sheet that said rest instead of old? lol

Spur|n|Austin
03-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Where are the Pop haters now? He has done a fantastic job of managing the minutes of our newly stacked roster, while also managing to give a little rest to our big three. Coach of the year, IMHO.

jrodriguez.Nb.Tx
03-26-2012, 12:03 AM
i liked their defense. they scramble and help eachother. with all the offensive firepower we got, when we play solid defense and get stops when were supposed to ( like they did tonight )
theres not a team in the league that can stop us.
Believeeee dat.

dylankerouac
03-26-2012, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the scores. Great accomplishment by the Spurs.

Anyone know how many b2b2b games the Spurs have played in their history? Do they typically occur at least once a season?

TDMVPDPOY
03-26-2012, 12:10 AM

Anyone know how many b2b2b games the Spurs have played in their history? Do they typically occur at least once a season?

its only this season clown, they still have one in april....

T Park
03-26-2012, 12:15 AM
Matt Bonner has played well lately. Won't happen when it counts but it's great when you can get it.

Pops got a good problem on his hands in regards to bigs minutes. Splitter is not doing himself any favors.

WeNeedLength
03-26-2012, 12:19 AM

I believe they only play those in compressed lockout seasons. This is their first since 98-99. Correct me if I'm wrong someone...

timtonymanu
03-26-2012, 12:19 AM
Man this is the first time I have felt good about the Spurs in a while. It's been said a lot of times but RJ leaving has really given our team a new dimension. No longer does this team get pushed around anymore. Guys like Leonard, Neal, Jack, and Green are always playing aggressive. Diaw has been a great fit so far. I never expected this much out of him and Blair has seemed to pick up his level of play too lately. I can't wait to see how this all comes together. The only thing holding us back is health. We need Tiago and Neal to get healthy and hope Manu is in shape by the playoffs.

mkurts
03-26-2012, 12:26 AM
Bonner looks to start as either center or PF once Duncan retires for the Spurs, and this is probably grooming him towards eventually assuming that pivotal front court role.

Pop has a lot of confidence in Bonner and an A- tonight from timvp cements that I guess.

Spursfanfromafar
03-26-2012, 12:27 AM
Just one correction - the Phillies don't have the fourth best record, they have the sixth best. But that is good enough for them being fourth in the EC, because of their lead in the Atlantic division standings.

Thanks for the grades and thoughts, again.

Spurs151
03-26-2012, 12:29 AM
Grades look about right. The only thing is we need another big. Although dent on isn't a bad player, we don't need 4 point guards

SpursNextRomanEmpire
03-26-2012, 12:30 AM
my question is, where did LJ find a stat sheet that said rest instead of old? lol

The box score on ESPN says "Rest"?

CitizenDwayne
03-26-2012, 12:33 AM
As a long-time lurker and new poster, just wanna say thanks timvp for these grades. Always a treat to read.

freetiago
03-26-2012, 12:34 AM
we still have to see how pop integrates splitter til he can claim him to be the genius everyone thinks he is

Spur|n|Austin
03-26-2012, 12:39 AM
Just one correction - the Phillies don't have the fourth best record, they have the sixth best. But that is good enough for them being fourth in the EC, because of their lead in the Atlantic division standings.

Thanks for the grades and thoughts, again.

Phillies?

sananspursfan21
03-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Forgot for a moment that the sixers are actually good this year and almost blew this one off as a gimme... Then i remembered and was pleasantly surprised

Borosai
03-26-2012, 12:41 AM
Matty just took a +/- on SpursTalk.

The Spurs are deep and playing well together. It's up to Pop to deliver a rotation that draws the best out of these guys.

Championship!

Obstructed_View
03-26-2012, 12:42 AM
Where are the Pop haters now? He has done a fantastic job of managing the minutes of our newly stacked roster, while also managing to give a little rest to our big three. Coach of the year, IMHO.

Coach of the year, possibly, but still coach who refused to play Splitter last season. It's still not too late to play Manu in a meaningless game at the end of the regular season and get him injured either.

I'm more than glad the Spurs are taking advantage of their depth and talent, but let's not act like this erases everything that's ever happened.

timvp
03-26-2012, 12:43 AM
Just one correction - the Phillies don't have the fourth best record, they have the sixth best. But that is good enough for them being fourth in the EC, because of their lead in the Atlantic division standings. Good catch, thanks :tu

SenorSpur
03-26-2012, 12:48 AM
Good stuff. Another excellent write-up.

What else can be said about Jack? Even when he's struggling with his shot, he still competes. He's a total competitor and such a refreshing change from RJ.

Diaw has definitely been a pleasant surprise. His defense and BBIQ are really good.

I hope Blair continues his upward performance surge - and that he stays clear of Whataburgers.

Kawhi's ballhandling style looks a bit awkward, but he's surprisingly and deceptively effective. All the hard work he's putting into his shot is paying big dividends.

Personally, I'm rooting for Green to hold that starting 2-guard spot for the duration. He gives great energy out of the gate and I know Pop loves that.

Overall, I'm proud of the Spurs for sweeping their first B2B2B series. The talent pool of depth that Pop now has to work is going to come in handy during the stretch drive toward the playoffs.

ace3g
03-26-2012, 12:53 AM
Although Diaw does pass a lot, a majority of the time they are great passes for open shots. His ability to drive and dish is a nightmare match up against immobile bigs. One thing everyone has mentioned before but wasn't something I initially expected, was the screens he sets off the ball to create shots for his teammates. It will be interesting to see how he handles the larger PF/C on defense. Basically overall he is filling in for that "Oberto" type role on the team I had hoped for.

The Spurs have a lot of great PF/C passers on this team (Diaw, Timmy, Splitter, Blair). And overall have a lot of great playmakers, I'm not worried about this roster going into a close game.

Ice009
03-26-2012, 12:56 AM
I'm actually wondering what Diaw's playing weight should be for the Spurs. I thought he might still be a little overweight before he suited up for the Spurs and should look at losing some weight, but now I am not sure at all. This playing weight has some advantages when he is setting screens and holding his ground on defense.

What do you guys think?

I also think Diaw has been pretty good on offense. His passiveness to shoot the ball hasn't bothered me at all so far. He's a very good play maker and can really set up others quite well, and with the weapons we have that's a good thing. I do want him to take wide open shots though, but other than that I like Diaw's game on the Spurs.

Obstructed_View
03-26-2012, 12:57 AM
Although Diaw does pass a lot, a majority of the time they are great passes for open shots. His ability to drive and dish is a nightmare match up against immobile bigs. One thing everyone has mentioned before but wasn't something I initially expected, was the screens he sets off the ball to create shots for his teammates. Basically overall he is filling for that "Oberto" type role on the team.

The Spurs have a lot of great PF/C passers on this team (Diaw, Timmy, Splitter, Blair). And overall have a lot of great playmakers, I'm not worried about this roster going into a close game.

We'd discussed Diaw passing up shots when he was signed, but the shots I've seen him pass up most often result in an even better shot. He's also a very good screen setter. I'm really looking forward to watching some of these lineups get comfortable playing together.

Spursfanfromafar
03-26-2012, 12:57 AM
Phillies?

Good catch :p:

DAF86
03-26-2012, 01:01 AM
Jackson's shots looked awful tonight, you could see they weren't going in as soon as the ball left his hands.

P/S: Don't think I didn't notice Manu's slip in your grades list :nope

ace3g
03-26-2012, 01:03 AM
And that is the difference between RJ and SJAX:

RJ had to score double figures (mostly 3s) to make an impact, SJAX can still score double figures without his 3 point shot falling and also play defense, get assists. I doubt we win the game vs Hornets with RJ.

ElNono
03-26-2012, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the writeup LJ!

angelbelow
03-26-2012, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the grades. Had to multitask while watching the game so I missed a lot of the details.

But from what I saw, this was a really fun game to watch. The Sixers are ranked #1 in defensive efficiency, opp FG% and opp PPG and we really diced them up.

A few things I caught:
-Jack was like -18 when I started watching. He trimmed it to -8 pretty quickly by making plays for his teammates, driving the ball hard to the basket and either scoring or getting to the line and hitting an open 3. It wasn't all good though, I watched him turn the ball over and brink open 3s, but he never stopped trying.
-Blair did have a really ugly stretch early in the 3rd there. I though to myself "typical..." He was forcing shots, slow to rotate and out of control. But he proved me wrong by turning around and finishing out the 3rd quarter in excellent fashion.
-Wasn't sure if Diaw was going to show up as the above average defender he was in Phx or the lazy mofo reputation he received in Charlotte. But outside of getting burned by Carl Landry on a few plays, his defense has been very solid and should keep us fans optimistic.

DAF86
03-26-2012, 01:07 AM
And that is the difference between RJ and SJAX:

RJ had to score double figures (mostly 3s) to make an impact, SJAX can still score double figures without his 3 point shot falling and also play defense, get assists. I doubt we win the game vs Hornets with RJ.

Agreed, but still it would be nice if he finds his stroke come playoffs time.

ace3g
03-26-2012, 01:09 AM
We already talked about that SJAX overall 3 pt % isn't noteworthy, yet if it is a pressure 3, aren't too many other players on this team I want taken that shot

Solid D
03-26-2012, 01:16 AM
Matt Bonner amazingly punked Spencer Hawes. He outscored Spencer and outrebounded him. Bonner also created 2 or 3 turnovers in that matchup. Matt deserved the A- grade.

CitizenDwayne
03-26-2012, 01:19 AM
Matt Bonner amazingly punked Spencer Hawes. He outscored Spencer and outrebounded him. Bonner also created 2 or 3 turnovers in that matchup. Matt deserved the A- grade.
Yeah it's hard to think of a more favorable matchup for Bonner than Spencer Hawes.

jjktkk
03-26-2012, 01:33 AM
Coach of the year, possibly, but still coach who refused to play Splitter last season. It's still not too late to play Manu in a meaningless game at the end of the regular season and get him injured either.

I'm more than glad the Spurs are taking advantage of their depth and talent, but let's not act like this erases everything that's ever happened.

So what your saying is Pop is a good coach, but? Whats the point? Are you looking for a mistake-free coach? Pop has his issues, but I would think its pretty obvious that his positives outweigh his negatives by a considerable margin.

jjktkk
03-26-2012, 01:34 AM
Thank you Tim for the grades and writeup. :tu

DrSteffo
03-26-2012, 01:38 AM
Props to the TEAM. Also props to Pop. I just hope this doesn't make him repeat the old mistake of trusting Bonner and Blair in the POs.

TDMVPDPOY
03-26-2012, 01:45 AM
u know that full court press Green does when the other team inbounds the play, i wonder if he can do that all game....since we have so much depth on the roster, wouldnt hurt to have him full press aggressive hounding the pg bringing the ball up....

Kurik
03-26-2012, 01:46 AM
Thanks for the writeup.

jiggy_55
03-26-2012, 02:03 AM
Great writeup as always timvp!

Ginobleed20
03-26-2012, 02:21 AM
Thanks for the writeup timvp! I must add that Jack's offense at the beginning of the second quarter (ball-stopping, turnovers) really killed the spurs offensive momentum and enabled the sixers run. As much as I love what he brings to the table, he deserved a lower grade (if grades are based on expectations)

angelbelow
03-26-2012, 02:41 AM
u know that full court press Green does when the other team inbounds the play, i wonder if he can do that all game....since we have so much depth on the roster, wouldnt hurt to have him full press aggressive hounding the pg bringing the ball up....

Disagree, Green doesn't have the speed to keep up some the elite guards so he shouldn't risk defensive position by playing a full court press. Good intentions but I'd rather he focus on his half court D.

benefactor
03-26-2012, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the grades. Feels good to come out of this stretch 3-0. Let's make it 5-0 starting tomorrow.

silverblackfan
03-26-2012, 07:25 AM
It was a great game for showing that the Spurs can play some very effective swarming defense. Long time fans have got to be excited with that.
The offense has just become a nightmare for other teams to plan for. Every position is a threat and I can't remember a time when the team was this potent.
Jax and Diaw are smart players and playing with a lot of heart and energy. Huge upgrade on the wing. As others have mentioned, I have not been bothered by Diaw's weight at all. He is using it well.

I do have to admit that the starting line up with Blair and Bonner spooked me. :lol

jag
03-26-2012, 07:54 AM
I'm actually wondering what Diaw's playing weight should be for the Spurs. I thought he might still be a little overweight before he suited up for the Spurs and should look at losing some weight, but now I am not sure at all. This playing weight has some advantages when he is setting screens and holding his ground on defense.

What do you guys think?

I also think Diaw has been pretty good on offense. His passiveness to shoot the ball hasn't bothered me at all so far. He's a very good play maker and can really set up others quite well, and with the weapons we have that's a good thing. I do want him to take wide open shots though, but other than that I like Diaw's game on the Spurs.

His playing weight doesn't seem to affect his mobility so I think it will only be a problem if it affects his stamina late in games. I doubt he'll play big minutes so I don't see that being a huge problem.

Old School 44
03-26-2012, 08:40 AM
The difficult stretch of games isn't over yet. After a day off tomorrow, the Spurs have a back-to-back on the road that begins in Phoenix and ends in Sacramento. My fingers are tired just from typing these grades for a third consecutive day so let's hope the Spurs have fuel to finish this exhausting stretch in style.

Thanks again for the summary/grades.
So are you sitting out after this Tuesday's game?

TIMVP........ DNT.......Tired Fingers

Mr. Body
03-26-2012, 08:55 AM
I expect Jackson is really trying to get acclimated and his shot will get more comfortable. As it is, he's getting in the mix in other ways, which is far more than Jefferson could ever do.

Keepin' it real
03-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Matt Bonner A-
... Bonner ... was able to use his mobility advantage to find open looks ...

There's something you may never see again, Bonner with a mobility advantage. :lol

Obstructed_View
03-26-2012, 09:46 AM
So what your saying is Pop is a good coach, but? Whats the point? Are you looking for a mistake-free coach?

RIF:

Pop has his issues, but I would think its pretty obvious that his positives outweigh his negatives by a considerable margin.
I would think it's pretty obvious that losing to inferior teams in the playoffs outweighs regular season success by a considerable margin. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

will_spurs
03-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Early on the Sixers plan on D was simply to have all available players swarm Parker as soon as he was entering the paint. This lead to a rather bad start for Parker with missed layups and turnovers, but the depth of this team showed and with everybody being some kind of offensive weapon it just became too much. Also Parker didn't go automatically to the paint any more, and identified well when he was going to be matched by only 1 or 2 defenders (pretty much an automatic layup) rather than 3-4.

Diaw is proving to be very good on D, much more than I thought. Even though he isn't able to keep it up for whole games, denying a player convincingly / forcefully is making a statement and getting into the player's head. He's also using his hands very well, be it steals, rebounds or deflections.

Jackson and Diaw still have problems playing together, at some point it was hard to understand why Jackson passed on a wide open three to try and feed Diwa in the paint, which resulted in a TO as Diaw was clearly not expecting the pass (and it wasn't the best pass ever either).

Bonner... I know that I shouldn't get sucked in as I know he's going to disappoint in the playoffs, but why oh why can't we have this version of Bonner show up in the playoffs. If anything, he is contributing a nice effort.

Mugen
03-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Statistically, these Sixers are the best defensive team the NBA has seen since the 2004 Spurs. On this night, it was the Spurs who flexed their defensive muscle. Philadelphia was held to 27 points in the second half and shot only 41.2% for the game. The Spurs went nearly six weeks without holding a team under 90 points but have now accomplished that feat in three straight games.

That's pretty surprising considering they really don't have a dominant interior defender. It's a testament to their perimeter length and Collins' coaching.

That said, i take that stat in the same vein as Bon Bon's +/- which means i really don't put that much stock into it . I consider Mem/Chi/Mia/LA all to be superior defensively, especially in terms of how they match up with the Spurs.

Basically, i just don't see the last two Sixer games as much of an indicator on how the Spurs well play against the 4 teams i mentioned above. It was a good win considering we didn't have Tim or Tiago but i just don't consider PHI to be elite defensively, regardless of what the stats say...

silverblk mystix
03-26-2012, 11:04 AM

This.

Unfortunately, regular season wins seem to get everyone excited. Pop is doing a good job this season, but he also has one of the deepest and most talented rosters in the NBA.

If you watched the Lakers/Memphis game last night...it would be prudent to wait til the Spurs play those teams again to see where the Spurs stand this year...those teams were playing playoff basketball and both looked a lot stronger and tougher than the teams the Spurs have been playing lately...

Mugen
03-26-2012, 11:11 AM
If you watched the Lakers/Memphis game last night...it would be prudent to wait til the Spurs play those teams again to see where the Spurs stand this year...those teams were playing playoff basketball and both looked a lot stronger and tougher than the teams the Spurs have been playing lately...

Very much agree, especially on Memphis' part. Spurfan should know that the Grizz are a legit contender to come out of the west and they showed every bit of that last night. I think the Spurs match up better this time around if they were to meet in the playoffs but i think it would be in their best interest to avoid this Memphis team with a healthy Rudy Gay/Z-Bo.

While i think their coaching/lack of outside shooting & depth will ultimately be the Lakers' downfall, their size & interior play pose the same problems that Mem does

silverblk mystix
03-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Very much agree, especially on Memphis' part. Spurfan should know that the Grizz are a legit contender to come out of the west and they showed every bit of that last night. I think the Spurs match up better this time around if they were to meet in the playoffs but i think it would be in their best interest to avoid this Memphis team with a healthy Rudy Gay/Z-Bo.

While i think their coaching/lack of outside shooting & depth will ultimately be the Lakers' downfall, their size & interior play pose the same problems that Mem does

I think the Spurs could play with them...but this is where the lack of Splitter/TD playing time will rear its ugly face...

Also, when Tony Allen and company begin the hacking...I feel a lot better with SJax and Kawhi not shrinking than I did with RJ/Bonner...(if Pop can help himself and play Bonner less minutes)

This is where Pop will either take his place as a great coach or continue his trend of getting punked in the playoffs by no-name coaches...

slayermin
03-26-2012, 11:30 AM
timvp A+

Appreciate the Grades!

Obstructed_View
03-26-2012, 11:30 AM

Um...lol?

I can't tell if you're serious or not. The Spurs have had major, major upheavals in their roster and are still managing to play very well, including better defense than they've played in quite some time.

I watched the Lakers/Memphis game and didn't see a lot of defense there. Not sure where you saw it. The Grizzlies went cold and turned the ball over a lot in the third quarter and scored at will the rest of the game. If not for that stretch they'd have scored 120 points.

moisaenz
03-26-2012, 11:47 AM
i still think Diaw does not know his role on offense.. That is why he is passin so much.. Pop should define that eventually, especially when Blair and Bonner dissappear....

TJastal
03-26-2012, 11:53 AM
i still think Diaw does not know his role on offense.. That is why he is passin so much.. Pop should define that eventually, especially when Blair and Bonner dissappear....

That's not really Pop's style. He prefers to let the players figure things out on their own. I think he's into one of his phases where he relishes just throwing odd combinations of players and lineups with no prior preparation or practice out on the court just to see what happens. His comments after the sixers' game certainly ascribe to that theory.

T Park
03-26-2012, 12:00 PM
He's done that for years. Always done that.

ChumpDumper
03-26-2012, 12:02 PM
I don't know why a coach wouldn't experiment with lineups given the injuries, nights off and three new rotation players.

TJastal
03-26-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't know why a coach wouldn't experiment with lineups given the injuries, nights off and three new rotation players.

Perhaps because 19 games isn't a lot of time to not only figure out a rotation but also get said rotation all familar with playing together, Pop may not have the luxury of trying every small ball combination under the sun for his own whimsical amusement.

Obstructed_View
03-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Perhaps because 19 games isn't a lot of time to not only figure out a rotation but also get said rotation all familar with playing together, Pop may not have the luxury of trying every small ball combination under the sun for his own whimsical amusement.

So your continuing suggestion is that Pop should have gotten a solid, playoff-ready 8 man rotation in the last five games regardless of who was or was not available on a given night. Also, you seem to think that going 4-1 despite all the changes isn't acceptable.

T Park
03-26-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm hopeful, with the moves the Spurs made, we're made in the sense that said players are good defensively, and that added will improve the team defense. Letting Kawhi go out there and run for 30 mins every night and not dropping any "needs to learn" on him is hopeful

ChumpDumper
03-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Perhaps because 19 games isn't a lot of time to not only figure out a rotation but also get said rotation all familar with playing together, Pop may not have the luxury of trying every small ball combination under the sun for his own whimsical amusement.Whimsical amusement?

I think there are laws against hate speech.

silverblk mystix
03-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Um...lol?

I can't tell if you're serious or not. The Spurs have had major, major upheavals in their roster and are still managing to play very well, including better defense than they've played in quite some time.

I watched the Lakers/Memphis game and didn't see a lot of defense there. Not sure where you saw it. The Grizzlies went cold and turned the ball over a lot in the third quarter and scored at will the rest of the game. If not for that stretch they'd have scored 120 points.

If you re-read my post it says "stronger and tougher"....

Call it ugly basketball maybe, but that is how the grizzlies played in the playoffs last year...if you watched the grizz/laker game you had to have seen Tony Allen inside Kobe's jock...and it frustrated the crap out of kobe...if you looked under the basket...there were thousands of pounds being slammed around on every play (fat gasoft/soft gasoft/crynum/speights/randolph/pee wee world peace/etc)

This is what I am referring to, and not taking anything away from the Spurs of late, but I still would like to see how the Spurs respond to this level of physicality...

T Park
03-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Yet they're missing the players the Spur didn't matchup with well and killed them in the playoffs.

silverblk mystix
03-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Yet they're missing the players the Spur didn't matchup with well and killed them in the playoffs.

If you're referring to Memphis...I agree...however;

They have Gay now (and don't assume Leonard can repeat this early season's performance again---though I really hope so)...Speights is tougher inside than the guy that demolished Bonner...

and if you ask anyone if they would take Gay over Battier it is a no-brainer...(for most people)

timvp
03-26-2012, 12:38 PM
So, the Spurs are dealing with a new handful of injuries everyday while adding three new players. Not to mention the fact that there hasn't been time to practice since two of those three players were signed. Yet Spurs fans find a way to criticize Pop for winning while using lineups that haven't practiced together?

Pop definitely deserves some criticism for decisions this season but that's just silly.

T Park
03-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Speights tougher than Darrell Arthur? Ok.

The problem with Gay he's not efficient as Battier and Battier as well didn't have a penchant to take shots from Z-Bo as well.

TJastal
03-26-2012, 12:48 PM
So your continuing suggestion is that Pop should have gotten a solid, playoff-ready 8 man rotation in the last five games regardless of who was or was not available on a given night. Also, you seem to think that going 4-1 despite all the changes isn't acceptable.

Allow me to just simplify my argument for you.

I would like to see Diaw's role defined by Pop (as a previous poster opined). The spurs don't have the luxury of trying Diaw in 25 different lineups in the next 19 games. Pop needs to figure this out using what he already knows about Diaw and also what he knows about his own players.

So Pop has seen Diaw in action now for 3 games now, he should have a good idea what he can do for the team by now. So now it's time to give him a role and stick with it. Basic questions that need answered: Is Diaw gonna start? Come off the bench? Is one of the other bigs out or are we rolling with all 5 bigs in the rotation (which is pretty stupid tbh).

therealtruth
03-26-2012, 12:53 PM

I think Splitter becomes crucial against a team like the Grizzlies or Lakers. You just can't hope to outshoot them while they're getting easy baskets in the paint.

ChumpDumper
03-26-2012, 12:54 PM

I would like to see Diaw's role defined by Pop (as a previous poster opined). The spurs don't have the luxury of trying Diaw in 25 different lineups in the next 19 games. Pop needs to figure this out using what he already knows about Diaw and also what he knows about his own players.

So Pop has seen Diaw in action now for 3 games now, he should have a good idea what he can do for the team by now. So now it's time to give him a role and stick with it. Basic questions that need answered: Is Diaw gonna start? Come off the bench? Is one of the other bigs out or are we rolling with all 5 bigs in the rotation (which is pretty stupid tbh).Yeah, that didn't help.

Mugen
03-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Speights tougher than Darrell Arthur? Ok.

The problem with Gay he's not efficient as Battier and Battier as well didn't have a penchant to take shots from Z-Bo as well.

Spurs would stand a better chance against the grizz this year because of a healthy manu, the loss of RJ, addition of Jax, and more Tiago.

Not because they swapped out Battier/Young for an All Star in Gay and replaced Arthur with Speights who can just as easily dominate Bonner. Vasquez had a fluke series but Pargo or Arenas could very well have a fluke series too.

therealtruth
03-26-2012, 01:03 PM
RIF:

I would think it's pretty obvious that losing to inferior teams in the playoffs outweighs regular season success by a considerable margin. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

It's not just losing. It's losing in a way people could see from the start of the season. If he integrates Splitter into the rotation he doesn't have to try changing the rotation in game 4.

will_spurs
03-26-2012, 01:04 PM

Hmm... what are you talking about?

Yesterday night Marc Gasol played 35 minutes, Randolph 27, Conley 33, Allen 28.

They have Rudy Gay now (38 minutes yesterday night) and Battier is gone.

Who are they missing?

Bill_Brasky
03-26-2012, 01:10 PM

Not to mention the defensive improvement. We've allowed 91 ppg since ditching RJ.

admiralsnackbar
03-26-2012, 01:16 PM
It's not just losing. It's losing in a way people could see from the start of the season. If he integrates Splitter into the rotation he doesn't have to try changing the rotation in game 4.
Primarily offensive teams develop set rotations and express their team identity/strategy by them (DÁntoni's Suns are the Platonic ideal of this), but defensive teams by definition adapt to what opposing offenses throw at them on a more tactical, player-by-player match-up level -- especially in the POs -- so pursuing determinate rotations is less important than having every player learn/trust the system and be ready to think on their feet when their number is called.

Because of this, it seems smarter --IMO-- to use these last games to suss out the best combinations of players for certain match-up situations than to try to polish this team into an offense-oriented "identity" team. You're right to criticize Tiago's integration last season, but Diaw and Jax are known entities at the NBA Playoffs level, something Splitter wasn't this time last year.

That said, I doubt:

Pop will push Diaw to be a consistent scoring threat (never been Diaw's game) as much as a smart defender and offensive enabler -- ie, what he already is.
Jax will find the basics of the system or what will be expected of him have changed since '03. He will turn the ball over because that what people who make love to pressure do, but I doubt it will happen due to team miscommunication/lack of familiarity.
Paddy will even see floor-time barring a major injury to one of the major guards.

T Park
03-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Hmm... what are you talking about?

Yesterday night Marc Gasol played 35 minutes, Randolph 27, Conley 33, Allen 28.

They have Rudy Gay now (38 minutes yesterday night) and Battier is gone.

Who are they missing?

Shane Battier, Sam Young, Darrell Arthur. Grieves Vasquez.

With the additions of Green, Leonard, Diaw and Jackson however, I feel the matchups favor back to the Spurs again.

Obstructed_View
03-26-2012, 01:59 PM

Call it ugly basketball maybe, but that is how the grizzlies played in the playoffs last year...if you watched the grizz/laker game you had to have seen Tony Allen inside Kobe's jock...and it frustrated the crap out of kobe...if you looked under the basket...there were thousands of pounds being slammed around on every play (fat gasoft/soft gasoft/crynum/speights/randolph/pee wee world peace/etc)

This is what I am referring to, and not taking anything away from the Spurs of late, but I still would like to see how the Spurs respond to this level of physicality...

Kobe was frustrated because he wasn't shooting well, wasn't getting calls, and his team wasn't getting back on defense after watching him go one on five. Sorry, but it didn't look like playoff basketball, nor did it look like anything the Spurs should be worrying about emulating at the moment. Mike Brown's doing the same thing he did in Cleveland, but his superstar is going to turn on him a lot sooner this time.

Obstructed_View
03-26-2012, 02:03 PM

So Pop has seen Diaw in action now for 3 games now, he should have a good idea what he can do for the team by now. So now it's time to give him a role and stick with it. Basic questions that need answered: Is Diaw gonna start? Come off the bench? Is one of the other bigs out or are we rolling with all 5 bigs in the rotation (which is pretty stupid tbh).

Your simplified argument is just as clear as the previous one, and they're both wrong.

The Spurs may not have the luxury of 25 lineups in the next 19 games, but in no way does that suggest that his role should have been defined by now. There are guys in the rotation that he hasn't even been on the floor with. He hasn't even been in a practice with the team since he arrived. Give him, I don't know, a week? A single game with a full roster of teammates?

Aztecfan03
03-26-2012, 02:08 PM

you want weight for the sake of weight and don't care about defense? Throw sumos out there.

Obstructed_View
03-26-2012, 02:09 PM

Agreed. Losing to an inferior team in the playoffs is bad. Losing to an inferior team in the playoffs with the players capable of helping on the bench is really bad. Losing to an inferior team in the playoffs while trying to integrate said players at the last minute is hard to forgive.

Obstructed_View
03-26-2012, 02:10 PM
you want weight for the sake of weight and don't care about defense? Throw sumos out there.

Or throw end of last season's DeJuan Blair out there.

will_spurs
03-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Shane Battier, Sam Young, Darrell Arthur. Grieves Vasquez.

I thought you were talking about players still on their roster. All these guys are gone, so it's not like they're going to help MEM win a playoff series against us this year.

And re: the Lakers-Memphis game, it wasn't playoff basketball at all. Well, unless benching Kobe in the 4th Q of a game is Mike Brown's playoff strategy...

callo1
03-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Pop's best coaching job of the season imho

Obstructed_View
03-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Who are they missing?

An opponent whose best player has a broken elbow.

Obstructed_View
03-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Pop's best coaching job of the season imho

Further proof of this: Opponents have gone on runs a few times in the last week, Pop's called a timeout, and the team has really responded strongly, usually putting the game away. Getting a team of guys to listen to you is important. Pop deserves just as much credit for roster moves as anything else though. The additions really show the guys on the team that they've got this year in mind. Timmy had a quote a few days ago about "trying to win this thing."

T Park
03-26-2012, 02:43 PM
I thought you were talking about players still on their roster. All these guys are gone, so it's not like they're going to help MEM win a playoff series against us this year.

And re: the Lakers-Memphis game, it wasn't playoff basketball at all. Well, unless benching Kobe in the 4th Q of a game is Mike Brown's playoff strategy...

My point, the biggest reasons for them losing outside of the spurs best player being hurt are not there.

Guys like Arthur Battier and Vasquez KILLeD them. They are no longer there replaced by ImO inferior players.

Obstructed_View
03-26-2012, 02:50 PM
My point, the biggest reasons for them losing outside of the spurs best player being hurt are not there.

Guys like Arthur Battier and Vasquez KILLeD them. They are no longer there replaced by ImO inferior players.

The guys that killed them also did so because Parker, Hill, and any big not named Duncan were horrid. Manu with two working arms would have actually been enough to carry them despite that.

T Park
03-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Yeah Vasquez Arthur and Battier had a lot to do with it. Randolph and Gasol are still there true, but again, Diaw, Splitter are there to help. IMO, they're more prepared to handle what may come. Health IMo is all that stands between them.

will_spurs
03-26-2012, 03:14 PM
I'd still say the biggest issue was the Gasol-Randolph "twin towers" and the utter lack of interior presence on the Spurs. And btw I know he didn't look good, but Parker wasn't horrid. He just wasn't the superstar some people expected him to be each and every game, for whatever reason.

T Park
03-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Yeah add that to another reason I'd like their chances. Parker would be in full kick their ass mode. Plus the Spurs are just when healthy, so much better defensively than they were lay year. Jackson Diaw have upgraded the d tremendously.

jjktkk
03-26-2012, 04:11 PM
RIF:

I'm a bottom line kinda of guy. And bottom line, is I'm grateful Pop is the coach of the Spurs.

will_spurs
03-26-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm a bottom line kinda of guy. And bottom line, is I'm grateful Pop is the coach of the Spurs.

That strikes me as a reasonable stance, even though I'm more on Obstructed_View's side on this issue.

jjktkk
03-26-2012, 04:22 PM
I think the Spurs could play with them...but this is where the lack of Splitter/TD playing time will rear its ugly face...

Also, when Tony Allen and company begin the hacking...I feel a lot better with SJax and Kawhi not shrinking than I did with RJ/Bonner...(if Pop can help himself and play Bonner less minutes)

This is where Pop will either take his place as a great coach or continue his trend of getting punked in the playoffs by no-name coaches...

Lol, take his place. Pop is already there dipshit. I do have to give you credit though, at how your suddenly straddling the fence regarding the Spurs season and Pop this year. So instead of Pop needing to retire, he now has a chance to be a "great coach". What a tool you are. :lol

jjktkk
03-26-2012, 04:23 PM
That strikes me as a reasonable stance, even though I'm more on Obstructed_View's side on this issue.

OV has some good takes, we just tend to disagree on Pop somewhat.

therealtruth
03-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Lol, take his place. Pop is already there dipshit. I do have to give you credit though, at how your suddenly straddling the fence regarding the Spurs season and Pop this year. So instead of Pop needing to retire, he now has a chance to be a "great coach". What a tool you are. :lol

Let's just say that if Pop loses to a team they are expected to beat more eyebrows will be raised. He's been playing with house money because of the 4 championships.

Obstructed_View
03-26-2012, 05:59 PM

Bottom line, I'm in aggrement with you. He's done an outstanding job and continues to do so for the most part. Doesn't mean he hasn't done stupid shit in the past that has cost the team. Since many of his mistakes seem to be of the "too stubborn to listen to reason" variety, you'll forgive me for worrying that he might decide to do something insane again in the future.

The issue I had was that someone said "He's coach of the year, you're stupid for ever disagreeing with anything he's ever done."

T Park
03-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Let's just say that if Pop loses to a team they are expected to beat more eyebrows will be raised. He's been playing with house money because of the 4 championships.

Good Christ almighty.....

jjktkk
03-26-2012, 06:21 PM

And if it does not happen, I'm calling your ass out for constant trolling and for being a tard.

wildbill2u
03-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Good performances on the 3rd night of a b2b2b are not expected. Those who got the good grades really deserve them.

Considering all the problems with injuries and age he has to deal with on a nightly basis, I only wonder if Pop will ever get an A+.

pgardn
03-26-2012, 08:41 PM
I usually have very little problem with the grades.

But I gotta shout out to Leonard for getting his hands on just about everything under the boards, especially after Philly got offensive rebounds. His hands were extraordinarily active last night and gave us the opportunity to use our hustle and speed to get on lose balls. It was very reminiscent of the old Spurs D.

It was the most notable part of Leonard's outstanding effort for me. Especially after being sluggish the night before.

Stalin
03-26-2012, 11:00 PM
jackson and diaw, seem to be great picks ups, their defence has certainly increased spurs chances as a contender, also them being vets helps alot, i'm surpised by fatass diaw, tbh, if he become part of the rotation, that gives pop another big he could possibly utilize instead of bonner, it alss might be that jackson was sucking, due to him being up there in age and this being his 3rd game straight, on a "new" team, maybe he's a bit tired and got sloppy due to that, spurs have a come a long way since giving big minutes to pussies like roger mason, dick jefferson and matt " The Ginger" bonner

silverblk mystix
03-26-2012, 11:35 PM

Coming from a huge Popologist...I'm not surprised...

This is kinda where we were last season and then Pop shit the bed severely in the Memphis series....

As I have stated previously, last season was the last time that I gave Pop the benefit of the doubt...and I hoped to hell I was wrong because I was still deluded into thinking that Pop would come to his senses at the last minute...and he almost did with Tiago-but it was too fuckin' late....

He got punked by Lionel Fuckn' Hollins....

The main reasons I have hope this year are because Tiago finally had a (small) chance to show he belongs (which fucktard Popologists like you swore he would never be more than a scrub and Pop was right in burying in the bench)...

and because of SJax...because he still is a warrior...and the re-emergence of TD and Parker....

I have also stated pretty clearly and pretty often that the Spurs will have to win a title ---IN SPITE-- of Pop....

and, although I would still love to be proven wrong...I just don't see the Spurs overcoming Pop's stubborness when the playoffs get tough...

IF

IF the Spurs win a title and Pop is sitting at five....then it will go a long, long way in erasing some of the stupid shit that Pop did in 08,09,10 & 2011.

So run along and continue riding Pop's nutz you idiot.

jjktkk
03-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Coming from a huge Popologist...I'm not surprised...

This is kinda where we were last season and then Pop shit the bed severely in the Memphis series....

As I have stated previously, last season was the last time that I gave Pop the benefit of the doubt...and I hoped to hell I was wrong because I was still deluded into thinking that Pop would come to his senses at the last minute...and he almost did with Tiago-but it was too fuckin' late....

He got punked by Lionel Fuckn' Hollins....

The main reasons I have hope this year are because Tiago finally had a (small) chance to show he belongs (which fucktard Popologists like you swore he would never be more than a scrub and Pop was right in burying in the bench)...

and because of SJax...because he still is a warrior...and the re-emergence of TD and Parker....

I have also stated pretty clearly and pretty often that the Spurs will have to win a title ---IN SPITE-- of Pop....

and, although I would still love to be proven wrong...I just don't see the Spurs overcoming Pop's stubborness when the playoffs get tough...

IF

IF the Spurs win a title and Pop is sitting at five....then it will go a long, long way in erasing some of the stupid shit that Pop did in 08,09,10 & 2011.

So run along and continue riding Pop's nutz you idiot.

Do you consider it a badge of honor to be considered a dumb motherfucker on here?

silverblk mystix
03-27-2012, 12:09 AM
Do you consider it a badge of honor to be considered a dumb motherfucker on here?

Do you?

You sound extremely stupid to me. Congrats!

jjktkk
03-27-2012, 01:31 AM
Do you?

You sound extremely stupid to me. Congrats!

Given your knowledge on here pertaining to basketball, I wouldn't be suprised at all that you got a running bet with your buds on how many "homeruns" Duncan will hit during the regular season.

Splits
03-27-2012, 01:37 AM
Given your knowledge on here pertaining to basketball, I wouldn't be suprised at all that you got a running bet with your buds on how many "homeruns" Duncan will hit during the regular season.

I'll never understand why people actually respond to myst, she's a troll.