PDA

View Full Version : City of San Antonio Preparing for Parade

Clandestino
06-21-2005, 12:03 AM
I was at the Riverwalk today and they are already putting up the fences to prevent people from trampling the vegetation during the Championship Parade!

I heard the parade is Saturday!

Pistons < Spurs
06-21-2005, 12:05 AM
LOL the jinx is on!!!!

Experiment2100
06-21-2005, 12:06 AM
LOL the jinx is on!!!!

I don't think it just for the parade if the Spurs win tommorow people will flock to downtown in a rush not seen frequently around here, people have to protect their shops.

Sonia_TX
06-21-2005, 12:08 AM
I already posted about this and got in trouble...lol. There is no Jinx people! Anyhow...my moms friend works for SBC and is part of the planning committee (or whatever) and she said that if the Spurs win tomorrow then the parade is Thursday. If we win Thursday then the Parade is Saturday.

There will also be a rally but she isn't sure where ... last time it was at the Dome.

Clandestino
06-21-2005, 12:11 AM
I already posted about this and got in trouble...lol. There is no Jinx people! Anyhow...my moms friend works for SBC and is part of the planning committee (or whatever) and she said that if the Spurs win tomorrow then the parade is Thursday. If we win Thursday then the Parade is Saturday.

There will also be a rally but she isn't sure where ... last time it was at the Dome.

oh wow.. i hope it is thursday...

why did you get into trouble?

i just heard it from the riverboat dude...

Sonia_TX
06-21-2005, 12:16 AM
Because of the whole "jinx" and "lets win the game first"... You know...all those crazy superstitions. Even Kori got mad...I'll just have to kick her butt at the game tomorrow. muahaha ;) She really didn't get mad....just kidding around :)

Clandestino
06-21-2005, 12:17 AM
oh... i don't believe in superstitions, karma, ojo, etc.... all that bullshit...

Sonia_TX
06-21-2005, 12:21 AM
oh... i don't believe in superstitions, karma, ojo, etc.... all that bullshit...

You know...if the Spurs lose it will be our fault! lol

I don't see them losing at home... I wish I could fast forward to tomorrow because I am eager for this game. I can't stand it anymore. haha

milkyway21
06-21-2005, 12:31 AM
LOL the jinx is on!!!!what a loser:cry

hey! tell your Detroit friends to STOP mocking the City of San Antonio and the Riverwalk, such as one boring community, not in the U.S. map or whatever You don't deserve the seat of the NBA Champs because you got no respect towards the community of your opponents... :cuss

http://wegotcards.com/cards/sports/bask/face.GIF

Pistons < Spurs
06-21-2005, 12:35 AM
what a loser:cry

hey! tell your Detroit friends to STOP mocking the City of San Antonio and the Riverwalk, such as one boring community, not in the U.S. map or whatever You don't deserve the seat of the NBA Champs because you got no respect towards the community of your opponents... :cuss

LMAO. where the hell did that little rant come from? Do you feel better now?

dknights411
06-21-2005, 12:35 AM
New England and Philly did the exact same thing before they played the Super Bowl. I'm guessing that Detroit has parade plans too, so I guess that the jinxes cancel out.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
06-21-2005, 12:36 AM

http://wegotcards.com/cards/sports/bask/face.GIF

What are you talking about??

milkyway21
06-21-2005, 12:44 AM
i hope the series will end in game 6. I just had a death in the family and i would like to see the Spurs WINNING the game and maybe the Pistons crying:D. might not be able to watch game 7. Pls..............do it, Finish them Spurs.

Sonia_TX
06-21-2005, 12:46 AM
i hope the series will end in game 6. I just had a death in the family and i would like to see the Spurs WINNING the game and maybe the Pistons crying:D. might not be able to watch game 7. Pls..............do it, Finish them Spurs.

Sorry *hugs*

LilMissSPURfect
06-21-2005, 12:46 AM
pistons choosing to stay at a hotel in NW san antonio rather than downtown is kinda fishhy.......

i guess they figured there's a party downtown and they aren't invited!!!!!!!

constantstate
06-21-2005, 12:49 AM
sorry to hear that milkyway... i'm thinking spurs in 6. resilient or not, i dont think anyone can recover from what horry did to them... and the best to you and yours.

Sonia_TX
06-21-2005, 12:52 AM
pistons choosing to stay at a hotel in NW san antonio rather than downtown is kinda fishhy.......

i guess they figured there's a party downtown and they aren't invited!!!!!!!

Isn't Hotel Valencia downtown? I thought that was where they were staying.

And nope...they're not invited... Although...how fun would it be if they were...muahahaha. ;)

constantstate
06-21-2005, 12:54 AM
they had complained about how after every win (games 1 and 2) they could hear car horns and stuff... that it freaked them out. it was a quote from a player, about not getting any love in san antonio.

Kori Ellis
06-21-2005, 12:59 AM
Spurs fans ready to erupt
Web Posted: 06/21/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Amy Dorsett
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062105.01A.spurs_buzz.2cda8957.html

Starved of an NBA championship last year, Spurs fans have been salivating for the league's ultimate prize all season. Now they can taste the Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy.

Tonight they hope to go bed full, their appetite for victory satiated in Game 6 of the Finals, which will play out on the court of the SBC Center. Tipoff is at 8, and ABC will broadcast the game. The Spurs lead the best-of-seven series 3-2 over the Detroit Pistons.

If the Spurs win, the franchise will have its third NBA title in seven seasons.

Not bad if you're a San Antonio fan. But the lot is like a lanky teenager — always hungry for more.

Three is nice, they rationalize, and four or more is better — but even that won't earn the Spurs and their city the paramount title that few franchises have obtained: Dynasty.

As gung-ho as Spurs fans are, as thrilled as they are about an impending NBA championship, even they concede a win tonight will not earn them the D word.

"Most people believe in order to be a dynasty you have to win consecutive championships," said Michael Silva, who ran errands Monday afternoon wearing a David Robinson jersey. "You need to win two straight to become a dynasty."

And then some. The Boston Celtics have 16 titles, while the Los Angeles Lakers have 14 and the Chicago Bulls 6.

Barrett Blaue, who grew up in San Antonio and now practices medicine in Houston, spent Monday looking for Spurs gear — he couldn't find any in the Bayou City.

The title of dynasty, he argued, is one not dictated by fans.

"Dynasty is anointed by the media. Once the media anoints them as a dynasty, the fans follow," he said. "I don't think you should sell these guys short by hanging a title on them."

As fans set their sights on Game 6, most still were reliving Sunday night's nail-biting victory, which came in the final seconds of overtime as Robert Horry sank a three-point shot.

During the game, 70-year-old Maria Tyng said she kept turning the TV off and on, unable to watch the only close contest in the series so far. And when she did watch, she called on a higher power.

"I prayed every time they would shoot a basket, I was just pacing the floor," she said, speaking lyrically of Horry's shot: "It was beautiful, it was graceful and flowing. It was the epitome of basketball. It was miraculous."

Supernatural or not, the game-winning shot summoned more than 5,000 fans to San Antonio International Airport in the middle of the night to welcome the team home.

Most knew the drill and came laden with cold beverages, folding chairs, and strollers for the young ones. Luckily, they also came with a good measure of patience. Though the flight was to have arrived at 2:50 a.m., it was delayed until 3:30 because the game went so late.

Some, like Marina Neira, were initiated into the rite of passage.

"This is the first time ever and it's awesome," said the 47-year-old optometrist, who had to report to work at 9 a.m. "This is the best game they played, and if it weren't for Horry we wouldn't be here."

The crowd was Horry-mad, displaying hastily made signs declaring him the team's latest hero, like the one that said, "This one belongs to Horry."

College student Jonathan Welzien was relieved he didn't have to be at work until noon.

"That was an incredible game," he said. "To date, that was the defining game of the San Antonio franchise."

Phil Hardberger, the city's new mayor, turned out with his wife to join the crowd.

"That's the shortest night I've had in a long time," he said, admitting he'd taken a nap after the game. "I'm stunned by how many people are out here."

Fans went wild as the Spurs got off the plane. Actress Eva Longoria walked out with Tony Parker, sending them into a tizzy, but nothing compared to when Horry appeared.

He took the microphone and thanked the fans for their support.

"It's great to be on a team that has this reception," he said later.

Within 15 minutes, the show had wrapped up. With a gleam of a championship in their eyes, the fans packed it in and began the wait for tonight's game. The hunger pangs are building.

Kori Ellis
06-21-2005, 12:59 AM
Police prepared for Spurs revelers
Web Posted: 06/21/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062105.06A.Spurs_Cops_Prep.2cb60444.html

Mariano Castillo
Express-News Staff Writer

With a third NBA title within reach for the Spurs, the San Antonio Police Department has a record of its own to defend: maintaining order during the massive celebration certain to follow a victory today or Thursday.

Revelers should expect a heavy police presence along Market and Commerce Streets downtown.

That's the traditional circuit where fans cruise the streets at snail-like speeds, honking and yelling out of their rolled-down windows, while acknowledging fans lined up along the streets.

"We're going to let these people party because they deserve it," Deputy Chief Rudy Gonzales said. "We've all been waiting for (a Spurs victory)."

In the case of a win, police expect about 50,000 fans to flock to downtown after the game.

"If we have problems, we will have officers to handle these problems," Gonzales said.

The department doesn't want to rain on anyone's parade, but fans shouldn't forget that the rules still apply.

"Don't violate the laws, because we will take action," Gonzales said. "Come to downtown, but be careful."

LilMissSPURfect
06-21-2005, 01:00 AM
detroit players complaining about noise........?

nah.....

ksat -gsimmons was saying somthing about them staying in the NW side of town

maybe the honking and screaming and yelling should go around loop 410!

Sonia_TX
06-21-2005, 01:07 AM
detroit players complaining about noise........?

nah.....

ksat -gsimmons was saying somthing about them staying in the NW side of town

maybe the honking and screaming and yelling should go around loop 410!

I don't think Detoit will get any rest! I think honking will be everywhere! At least it was after games 1 and 2. lol Instead of taking our normal route home after the games we went the long way around and people were out everywhere... goodtimes.

LilMissSPURfect
06-21-2005, 01:11 AM
I don't think Detoit will get any rest! I think honking will be everywhere! At least it was after games 1 and 2. lol Instead of taking our normal route home after the games we went the long way around and people were out everywhere... goodtimes.

wow! Wished I'd been out and about..hopefully I can join u guys 2morrow!

milkyway21
06-21-2005, 01:25 AM
What are you talking about??check this out...

after game4:

Welcome to Detroit losers!!! You better get off the tracks, bacause the train is coming. Welcome to Detroit,,, oh yeah, we ARE the defending champs, did you forget? Tim Duncan's look on his face looked like Michael Jackson when they took away the 12 year old boys. Pistons in 6. Go back to your adobe houses or whatever you live in in the middle of nowhere!!!!:huh

So Detroit's celeb's are Eminem and Kid Rock. What does San Antonio have? Where is San Antonio? Is San Antonio a city, I don't see any office or residential buildings? What drives San Antonio's economy? Seriously, does anyone know anything about San Antonio? What does San Antonio offer to the America or even Texas?:rolleyes

Posted by: M&M at June 17, 2005 01:54 PM

i guess some of the Detroit fans were over-excited of your game 4 win, they forgot there's still games 5, 6....or 7 coming in...:lol

milkyway21
06-21-2005, 01:29 AM
Sorry *hugs*& constanstrate..thanks guys......

milkyway21
06-21-2005, 01:39 AM
i can still remember that post-parade gathering at the Alamodome in 2003. I saw it on Video, Laughing so much when Steve Kerr said "guess, it's time for me to show my bling:bling bling:bling":D

now, it's Horry's turn to show his.......:D

Good luck Spurs!

phyzik
06-21-2005, 03:39 AM
Welcome to Detroit losers!!! You better get off the tracks, bacause the train is coming. Welcome to Detroit,,, oh yeah, we ARE the defending champs, did you forget? Tim Duncan's look on his face looked like Michael Jackson when they took away the 12 year old boys. Pistons in 6. Go back to your adobe houses or whatever you live in in the middle of nowhere!!!!

We live in Tipi's, thank you. Texas is known for its Cowboys and Indians... jackass.

So Detroit's celeb's are Eminem and Kid Rock. What does San Antonio have? Where is San Antonio? Is San Antonio a city, I don't see any office or residential buildings? What drives San Antonio's economy? Seriously, does anyone know anything about San Antonio? What does San Antonio offer to the America or even Texas?

Your welcome for not having to live under a potential Mexico takeover.

Yours Truly,
The Alamo

again..... Jackass.

PS: Its not the America, its just flat out America.

I know the guy who posted these wont probably read this but I took alot of offense in the second quote, mainly because it concerns my direct family history. I know this is a Spurs forum but I encourage people to look up the battle of Gonzales Dated in October, 1835.

My great, great grandfather, Andrew Ponton, Alcalde of Gonzales, was the man who hid "The Cannon" from Santa Ana in the river, and thats just one of the major events my family history has taken part in.

3rdCoast
06-21-2005, 03:45 AM
if detroit is staying on the nw side of sa, i would think they are at the hyatt resort off of 151 and westover hills.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-21-2005, 04:54 AM
if detroit is staying on the nw side of sa, i would think they are at the hyatt resort off of 151 and westover hills.

That's more West than Northwest.

They're probably saying at the La Cantera or hell, the Omni off of I-10 just past the Northwest Interchange.