PDA

View Full Version : Injury Update: Tiago Splitter (back) doubtful, Gary Neal (foot) probable

timvp
03-27-2012, 12:11 AM
Tiago Splitter is on the trip but is unlikely to play either game. Gary Neal should play. Manu Ginobili is only expected to play one of the two games but it hasn't yet been decided which one he'll play in.

ElNono
03-27-2012, 12:13 AM
After last season's last game, Manu should just skip Phoenix, IMO

DesignatedT
03-27-2012, 12:14 AM
Damn Tiago. Killin himself.

TheSkeptic
03-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Ok. Now my patience is starting to get a little thin. Tiago had better not get any more injuries after this.

:bang :bang :bang

Now that that's over with, the fact that he's on the trip is progress.

And also, it'll be good to see Gary back as well. The team is getting healthier.

Beanzamillion21
03-27-2012, 12:16 AM
He has got to play on at least one of these two.

spursince#99
03-27-2012, 12:17 AM
Fuck Tiago bullshitting

Robz4000
03-27-2012, 12:21 AM
Wow, this is getting ridiculous. Now we're seeing why Splitter doesn't get much playing time. Luckily Phoenix isn't lengthy, but not having him for the Kings could be costly.

Hoops Czar
03-27-2012, 12:24 AM
My patience is boiling over with Splitter. No pain, no gain.

TMTŪ
03-27-2012, 12:31 AM
Splitter just needs to be back enough games to be in rhythm for the playoffs. His nagging injuries worry me though. We clearly need him to play a huge role against LA, OKC or Dallas.

Nathan89
03-27-2012, 12:45 AM
So when people talk about tiago playing time being limited by possible injury ...
Would four gms at 25mpg have the same injury risk as five gms at 20mpg?

At the end of the day this still doesn't excuse pops decision not to play tiago with Duncan in my opinion. You have to take a risk and play them at least 5mpg together. Otherwise they won't know how to play together.

JustinJDW
03-27-2012, 01:08 AM
Rather have this shit happen now than in the Playoffs.

Bruno
03-27-2012, 01:09 AM
I don't see the point of letting Splitter traveled with the team if he is doubtful for both game. He would surely recover from his back injury better in SA.

And WTF? Manu still won't play b2b. That's ridiculous. Either he is breaking down or Spurs are too cautious. The Ginobili case is damn worrisome and is one of the main reason why Spurs can't be considered as a true contender right now.

Nathan89
03-27-2012, 01:27 AM
I don't see the point of letting Splitter traveled with the team if he is doubtful for both game. He would surely recover from his back injury better in SA.

And WTF? Manu still won't play b2b. That's ridiculous. Either he is breaking down or Spurs are too cautious. The Ginobili case is damn worrisome and is one of the main reason why Spurs can't be considered as a true contender right now.

They would do the same with Duncan if tiago wasn't hurt. It just the spurs being to cautious. Can't really draw a conclusion from this. Other than the fact it's one less game to get the team on the same page.

jiggy_55
03-27-2012, 01:28 AM

Exactly, which is why I think we'll likely see him play at least one of the games.

jjktkk
03-27-2012, 01:28 AM

A frustrating dilemma to be sure, but right now, its not affecting the Spurs in the standings. We Spur fans just have to keep hoping that the team is healthy come playoff time.

TDMVPDPOY
03-27-2012, 01:30 AM
dunno what u clowns are pissed about, why u wanna risk our only 2nd big +6'11 in meaningless regular season games, rest him for the playoffs and be at full strength is what matters

out of the remaining games, i prefer he played in the games against the lakers and memphis, to be prepared whats coming in the playoffs

loveforthegame
03-27-2012, 01:37 AM
It will be good to have Neal back.

I don't understand why Splitter would travel with the team if he isn't going to play. Seems he'd be better resting at home and getting treatment or whatever.

Splits
03-27-2012, 01:42 AM
I don't think this team needs to worry about Splitter's availability all that much. He only averages 20min per game and has missed 6 this season. We're 5-1 in those, with the only loss being the Portland forfeit. He's just not that important to this team, especially given the depth we recently added. And this board overrates his value 10-fold.

siraulo23
03-27-2012, 01:45 AM
hopefully splitter plays one of the two games

jestersmash
03-27-2012, 02:04 AM

This is the pink elephant in the room on SpursTalk right now, tbh. I think secretly we're all kind of holding our breaths right now waiting to see Ginobili's re-emergence as the efficient offensive "PER" juggernaut he once was.

Manu did make it pretty clear that it'll take him a solid 15-20 games to get back into game shape, and we've seen flashes here and there that suggest that Ginobili still has it (flashes in the form of entire games - he had an efficient 17 point performance against New York followed by 22 point performance against LAC, or flashes in the form of specific plays, i.e. Manu driving it hard to the rim and dunking over a 7 footer in the Philly game), but like you I'm not ready to call this team a true "tier 1" contender (a la Miami/Chicago) until I see Manu put together consistent offensive performances.

I think the most worrisome aspect about Manu's crippled offensive game right now is his inability to get to the free throw line. Every tier 1 contender has 1 or 2 "slasher" type guys that can get to the free throw line when the offense isn't going well (Durant/Westbrook/Harden for OKC, Wade/Lebron for Miami, Rose/??? for Chicago). We have Tony Parker at the moment, and that's pretty much it.

Of course this is not to say the Spurs can't contend with a "65%" or "70%" Manu. We could always get lucky and have a role player or two step up in key playoff games. Or, we could have Bonner/Neal/Green go for 5-7 on 3 point shots to swing a game or two in our favor.

therealtruth
03-27-2012, 02:23 AM
Tiago Splitter is on the trip but is unlikely to play either game. Gary Neal should play. Manu Ginobili is only expected to play one of the two games but it hasn't yet been decided which one he'll play in.

If Splitter was having back problems would sitting on a plane make sense if he wasn't planning to play. I thought that was the reason he didn't go to New Orleans.

DAF86
03-27-2012, 02:25 AM

They have already said that Manu won't play b2b for the remainder of the season.

TheSkeptic
03-27-2012, 02:28 AM
I don't think this team needs to worry about Splitter's availability all that much. He only averages 20min per game and has missed 6 this season. We're 5-1 in those, with the only loss being the Portland forfeit. He's just not that important to this team, especially given the depth we recently added. And this board overrates his value 10-fold.

I'm pretty sure the team has a winning record without Manu in the line-up.

In light of the fact that championships are won in the regular season and the Spurs can count on miracle 3 pointers and teams like Philadelphia and New Orleans being there, it's clear that the team will be fine without him either.

:bang

Think again.

The playoffs are a completely different animal and excuse us for not wanting to rely on Blair and Matt Bonner for significant frontcourt production against teams like LA or Memphis should we run into them.

I get that the overrating is getting on your nerves but make no mistake that Splitter will be needed in the post-season if not for any other reason than to give the bench a boost when the threes aren't falling.

Darkwaters
03-27-2012, 02:30 AM

I'm calling bullshit on this. Not against your statistics or figures, but against your logic. Splitter has proven his value to this team time and time again. 6 games is hardly a large enough sample size to make a conjecture of that measure.

TheSkeptic
03-27-2012, 02:33 AM
If Splitter was having back problems would sitting on a plane make sense if he wasn't planning to play. I thought that was the reason he didn't go to New Orleans.

Good point. A spasm is a type of muscle strain apparently so I should think a bit of extra rest wouldn't hurt. I don't like the idea of rushing him back to have him aggravate it Bargnani style so I'd honestly rather he didn't play without being 100%.

ElNono
03-27-2012, 02:33 AM

Just cautious. Pop knows another setback means the season is over for the Spurs. Acts accordingly.

Proxy
03-27-2012, 02:38 AM
It totally makes sense to get mad at Tiago for being injured. :rolleyes

therealtruth
03-27-2012, 02:44 AM

So an efficient seven foot player that shoots 60% on field goals and improves the defense isn't that important.

therealtruth
03-27-2012, 02:45 AM
Just cautious. Pop knows another setback means the season is over for the Spurs. Acts accordingly.

I thought they got SJax for insurance.

therealtruth
03-27-2012, 02:46 AM
They have already said that Manu won't play b2b for the remainder of the season.

How do you develop chemistry if he's out of the lineup every other game?

roycrikside
03-27-2012, 02:51 AM

Calling BS on this. Show me the link where they said that.

roycrikside
03-27-2012, 02:57 AM
This is the pink elephant in the room on SpursTalk right now, tbh. I think secretly we're all kind of holding our breaths right now waiting to see Ginobili's re-emergence as the efficient offensive "PER" juggernaut he once was.

Manu did make it pretty clear that it'll take him a solid 15-20 games to get back into game shape, and we've seen flashes here and there that suggest that Ginobili still has it (flashes in the form of entire games - he had an efficient 17 point performance against New York followed by 22 point performance against LAC, or flashes in the form of specific plays, i.e. Manu driving it hard to the rim and dunking over a 7 footer in the Philly game), but like you I'm not ready to call this team a true "tier 1" contender (a la Miami/Chicago) until I see Manu put together consistent offensive performances.

I think the most worrisome aspect about Manu's crippled offensive game right now is his inability to get to the free throw line. Every tier 1 contender has 1 or 2 "slasher" type guys that can get to the free throw line when the offense isn't going well (Durant/Westbrook/Harden for OKC, Wade/Lebron for Miami, Rose/??? for Chicago). We have Tony Parker at the moment, and that's pretty much it.

Of course this is not to say the Spurs can't contend with a "65%" or "70%" Manu. We could always get lucky and have a role player or two step up in key playoff games. Or, we could have Bonner/Neal/Green go for 5-7 on 3 point shots to swing a game or two in our favor.

I don't think he's getting much respect from the refs right now. He drove to the basket plenty the last game and seemed to get fouled three or four times and didn't get any calls. If he keeps going to the rim, he'll eventually get his reputation back with the refs and start getting to the line.

I think he's pretty rusty in a lot of respects and still trying to get his game back as far as going behind the back with the ball, going through double-teams, taking risks, and each game he does a bit more.

His whole career though, he's been pretty consistent in the regard that he scores if he feels the need to score. Right now the team has so many guys that can score 10-20 pts, I think he sees himself more as a passer. The bench has a lot of guys who can knock down open shots and he's got pick-and-roll guys in Tim, Blair and Tiago, so I don't think he feels an urgency or responsibility to put up like 15 shots a game.

ElNono
03-27-2012, 03:04 AM
How do you develop chemistry if he's out of the lineup every other game?

No different than when you develop chemistry on a normal regular season: playing every 2 or 3 days.

jestersmash
03-27-2012, 03:07 AM
I don't think he's getting much respect from the refs right now. He drove to the basket plenty the last game and seemed to get fouled three or four times and didn't get any calls. If he keeps going to the rim, he'll eventually get his reputation back with the refs and start getting to the line.

I think he's pretty rusty in a lot of respects and still trying to get his game back as far as going behind the back with the ball, going through double-teams, taking risks, and each game he does a bit more.

His whole career though, he's been pretty consistent in the regard that he scores if he feels the need to score. Right now the team has so many guys that can score 10-20 pts, I think he sees himself more as a passer. The bench has a lot of guys who can knock down open shots and he's got pick-and-roll guys in Tim, Blair and Tiago, so I don't think he feels an urgency or responsibility to put up like 15 shots a game.

Good points. Yeah I agree it'll take him a while to re-establish his rapport with the refs.

It probably sounds strange to be worrying so much about "offense" on a team that currently ranks 3rd in pace-adjusted offensive production. I just hope he's capable of taking over a game offensively by getting to the line during the playoffs should enough of our role players fall flat.

Spursfanfromafar
03-27-2012, 03:08 AM

I think it is nothing ridiculous.

Ginobili from the way he is playing now seems to be rounding to form - he is slashing more, scoring more in the paint and is relying less on three pointers - and where his early season super-accuracy is expectedly experiencing a fall. In other words, he is not breaking down as his play evidences. The only concern in his play is his individual defense and that is also a work in progress as he picks up steam during the course of the season.

So, play wise, there is little to be worried about Ginobili.

What is to be worried about is whether he will be injury free and considering that he has had two freak injuries already - hand fracture and oblique strain - it is expected that Pop will play his hand to err on the side of caution. With our sound position in the standings, Pop can afford to do so.

Hopefully he does a similar thing limiting the extended minutes that Parker is made to play because of this and rotates the both of them well.

ElNono
03-27-2012, 03:10 AM

This was 6 days ago:
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2012/3/21/2890992/manu-cap-minutes-interview-todo-red

jjktkk
03-27-2012, 03:13 AM
As far as chemistry is concerned, every team has to deal with this lockout schedule, along with injuries. It helps, imo, that the Spurs have the big 3 to help out new teammates in Jack and Diaw, plus the fact that they both have some familiarity with the Spurs system. As far as Splitter goes, its a bit more troubling, but I like the fact that Splitter has been able to produce in limited minutes this season, and I'm banking on him to do the same in the playoffs, provided he can stay somewhat healthy.

100%duncan
03-27-2012, 04:03 AM
At the people complaining why Splitter can't play and be healthy all the time, it's better to be injured now than in the playoffs, IMO

Texas_Ranger
03-27-2012, 04:03 AM
I'm pretty sure Splitter could play if they wanted him to play, but Spurs will rather wait till he's 100%. And this Manu b2b bullshit is just funny. Can't the guy play about 25 minutes 2 days in a row. Glass team all the way.

100%duncan
03-27-2012, 04:08 AM
i'm pretty sure splitter could play if they wanted him to play, but spurs will rather wait till he's 100%. And this manu b2b bullshit is just funny. Can't the guy play about 25 minutes 2 days in a row. glass team all the way.

crap

mountainballer
03-27-2012, 04:37 AM
5 games in 6 days. we knew Pop will sit players during that span, even if it costs a game or two. Spurs still won the first 3. so, even less reason not to rest players. if he doesn't play Manu, this means more minutes for Jackson in that game, which is a good thing for him getting familiar with the team.

Darkwaters
03-27-2012, 04:57 AM
mountainballer with the goods as usual.

We all knew this was going to happen with 5 games in 6 nights. Why is everybody acting all surprised? Stop this saggy diaper syndrome and get over it.The playoffs are what matter, not the regular season championship.

Remember what month it is.

SPAM.

Bruno
03-27-2012, 05:32 AM
A frustrating dilemma to be sure, but right now, its not affecting the Spurs in the standings. We Spur fans just have to keep hoping that the team is healthy come playoff time.

My concern isn't about health. If Manu doesn't have another injury, he should be fine in one month when the playoffs starts.

I'm worried about being ready for the playoffs. Spurs have a lot of relatively new players (Jackson, Diaw, Mills, Leonard, Green...). Getting some chemistry before the playoffs is important. Spurs' rotation must be set and Pop has a lot of work in that area. If Ginobili doesn't play b2b, it will be even harder to do all that work.

There are 19 games left. Some games should be tanked to give some rest but, in the other games, Spurs should start to play with a playoff like rotation that is to say with Manu.

benefactor
03-27-2012, 05:40 AM

This was 6 days ago:
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2012/3/21/2890992/manu-cap-minutes-interview-todo-red
Happy now? Stop being a faggot and suck that dick.

SanAntonioSpurs23
03-27-2012, 05:41 AM
I'm going to tonight's game in Phoenix. I really hope Manu plays this game.

Darkwaters
03-27-2012, 05:41 AM

That statement seems to run contrary to itself. :lol

benefactor
03-27-2012, 05:44 AM
The Spitter injury is irritating. Hopefully he doesn't mildly strain something in the playoffs and miss games.

benefactor
03-27-2012, 05:48 AM
That statement seems to run contrary to itself. :lol
U-otAJrtY-w
tbh

100%duncan
03-27-2012, 07:07 AM

:lol bene with the goods

ManuTastic
03-27-2012, 07:19 AM
Pop probably doesn't want to repeat last year's mistake of letting Manu get injured in a meaningless end of season game. I don't blame him; I don't want to see that shit either.

100%duncan
03-27-2012, 07:46 AM
One side explaining that chemistry is important and Pop should play Manu more, and the other side saying that, Manu's health is more important. Both sides have good points and I'm sure that chemistry will be a key factor for us to be winning it all but we all know that health is more important and if Pop's decides to not play manu at b2b's we just gotta trust the man, after all, he's one of the few coaches left in the nba that know shit about real ball.

MmP
03-27-2012, 08:27 AM
This BS about Manu being made of glass is sicking me.

mountainballer
03-27-2012, 08:55 AM
One side explaining that chemistry is important and Pop should play Manu more, and the other side saying that, Manu's health is more important. Both sides have good points and I'm sure that chemistry will be a key factor for us to be winning it all but we all know that health is more important and if Pop's decides to not play manu at b2b's we just gotta trust the man, after all, he's one of the few coaches left in the nba that know shit about real ball.

chemistry and familiarity isn't a one way street. I'm not worried at all about the chemistry between for example Manu and Leonard/Green. they will be fine. I'm also not worried about Manu with Sjax. they are two vets, they know each other, they will figure it out quickly. the crucial point about chemistry IMO is Leonard and Green (and Tiago, when healthy again) with Sjax. so, every extra minute of this guys together on the court in the RS will pay big dividends in the PO.

bigfan
03-27-2012, 09:24 AM
"Pain is weakness leaving your body."

T Park
03-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Where was that thread again where people were pissed at pop for not over playing him cause he said he was worried about his health if he did?

Hmmm...

Mugen
03-27-2012, 09:45 AM
I'll take this as Pop recognizing Tiago's importance to the team and just being cautious.

Tiago is arguably the 4th best player on the team (Jax has a case, but i'd take Tiago) and is absolutely vital to this team's hopes for a championship so i'd rather Pop be careful with Tiago than risk losing him for an extended period of time.

I'm also glad Pop decided to throw scrubs like Bonner back into the lineup after only missing one game with a similar injury. An injury to Bonner or Blair would also go a long way to helping this team's playoff chances :toast

Mugen
03-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Where was that thread again where people were pissed at pop for not over playing him cause he said he was worried about his health if he did?

Hmmm...

:lmao there's more than one thread.

But remember last year when people kept defending Pop for not playing Tiago, agreeing that he wasn't ready yet cuz he missed training camp, etc..

And then Pop having it blow up in his face when our frontline was getting its shit pushed in by ZBo/Gasol and Darrell fucking Arthur :lmao

TimmehC
03-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Tiago always had a few minor injuries per season throughout his career in Spain. Nothing new here. I'll definitely take that over a Bogut-type situation, though.

ducks
03-27-2012, 10:10 AM
trading manu makes sence if diaw and sj keep playing like they are
sj can create like manu
manu not playing but 22 games out of this season is BULLSHIT
he is making almost 1 million a game that he actually plays

silverblk mystix
03-27-2012, 11:10 AM
trading manu makes sence if diaw and sj keep playing like they are
sj can create like manu
manu not playing but 22 games out of this season is BULLSHIT
he is making almost 1 million a game that he actually plays

Have to agree on the Manu part...

almost as bad as Tony Parker collecting a paycheck for nothing but getting ass-raped by Mike Conley...disgusting.

ajballer4
03-27-2012, 11:51 AM
I'll take this as Pop recognizing Tiago's importance to the team and just being cautious.

Tiago is arguably the 4th best player on the team (Jax has a case, but i'd take Tiago) and is absolutely vital to this team's hopes for a championship so i'd rather Pop be careful with Tiago than risk losing him for an extended period of time.

I'm also glad Pop decided to throw scrubs like Bonner back into the lineup after only missing one game with a similar injury. An injury to Bonner or Blair would also go a long way to helping this team's playoff chances :toast

I would actually have to argue that kawhi Leonard has been the fourth best player on the team this year

T Park
03-27-2012, 12:31 PM

New age spur fan rooting for an injury. Fantastic.

DPG21920
03-27-2012, 12:45 PM
You seem to be rooting for Tiago to miss time so you can praise pop for some poor handling of him even though Tiago has missed a fraction of the games Manu and Tim have.

polandprzem
03-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Where is EricB?

jag
03-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Either Will Sevening sucks, or the Spurs are just extremely delicate. Or maybe a little bit of both.

All that aside, Tiago is really starting to wear me out. What the hell is he doing before games? Some pregame calisthenics or yoga couldn't possibly hurt at this point. Gotta stretch it all out, brah.

jag
03-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Tiago has missed a fraction of the games Manu and Tim have.

He's also 7+ years younger than Manu and Tim and sees far less playing time when all are healthy. I'm a huge fan of Tiago, but he just doesn't seem to be very durable. And I really hope I'm wrong about that.

therealtruth
03-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Tiago always had a few minor injuries per season throughout his career in Spain. Nothing new here. I'll definitely take that over a Bogut-type situation, though.

He was injured enough to win Spanish League MVP.

Sense
03-27-2012, 02:21 PM
We're so stacked we don't need any of them against Phoenix, they just better make that shit up when they come back.

03-27-2012, 02:26 PM
i know popovich is just being overly cautious but i would like to see the team play at full strength so they can work on their chemistry. this is suddenly a very talented team and pop needs to flex his HOF credentials.

Mugen
03-27-2012, 02:38 PM
New age spur fan rooting for an injury. Fantastic.

:lol new age

I missed T Park / EricB. Pop's balls were getting pretty lonely without you round these parts.

Mel_13
03-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Gary Neal (foot) is likely to play vs. Phx. Splitter (back) will be a game-time decision.

http://twitter.com/#!/JMcDonald_SAEN

Robz4000
03-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Game-time decision now? Looking like he might actually give it a go.

sehui
03-27-2012, 02:51 PM
I think Tiago's injuries aren't that severe, more of a pre-caution.

spursince#99
03-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Tiago needs to man the Fuck up. He's arguably the 3rd most important piece to us getting another ring.

TheSkeptic
03-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Tiago needs to man the Fuck up. He's arguably the 3rd most important piece to us getting another ring.

Because making his back spasms worse during the regular season would help the team win it all.

If he's a gametime decision than we can safely assume that he's getting better. I'm just hoping everyone important can stay healthy from here on out.

There's not a whole lot of time left before the playoffs.

Beaverfuzz
03-27-2012, 04:57 PM
GO SPURS GO! :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

jestersmash
03-27-2012, 05:03 PM
FYI, Suns have posted something like the 4th best offense (pace-adjusted) in the league since the All-star break (per Schuhmann on nba.com's most recent power rankings) (http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/).

Despite their record, this will be a good test to see if our defense is up to snuff.

T Park
03-27-2012, 05:09 PM
You seem to be rooting for Tiago to miss time so you can praise pop for some poor handling of him even though Tiago has missed a fraction of the games Manu and Tim have.

Yeah I'm thrilled the secOnd best big man on the team is a china doll.

T Park
03-27-2012, 05:09 PM
:lol new age

I missed T Park / EricB. Pop's balls were getting pretty lonely without you round these parts.

Way to avoid the rooting for an injury part of the post there.

Mugen
03-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Way to avoid the rooting for an injury part of the post there.

I'm rooting for the Spurs to win a championship this year. Unfortunately, their chances go up a shit-ton if Matty B is out for the playoffs with an injury and Pop can't play him.

I don't want him to die or anything. He can recover just in time for the parade after the guys who actually perform under pressure win his sandwich loving ass a ring.

Mel_13
03-27-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm rooting for the Spurs to win a championship this year. Unfortunately, their chances go up a shit-ton if Matty B is out for the playoffs with an injury and Pop can't play him.

I don't want him to die or anything. He can recover just in time for the parade after the guys who actually perform under pressure win his sandwich loving ass a second ring.

fify

Mugen
03-27-2012, 05:25 PM
fify

:lol Thank you.

jag
03-27-2012, 05:25 PM
FYI, Suns have posted something like the 4th best offense (pace-adjusted) in the league since the All-star break (per Schuhmann on nba.com's most recent power rankings) (http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/).

Despite their record, this will be a good test to see if our defense is up to snuff.

It'll be nice to watch some of the individual matchups, but without Splitter I don't think you can really take a whole lot from this as far as overall team defense is concerned. Even with the first unit, Diaw's addition makes it hard to say if Pop is going to stay with the Blair/Duncan pairing for his postseason starting lineup. I just think it'll be hard to get a feel for what does and doesn't work considering how different the rotations and lineups are with Tiago out.

I haven't looked at the Suns recent points in the paint numbers, but they aren't going to have a lot of length to deal with when it comes to the Spurs 2nd unit.

This is assuming Tiago will not see the floor tonight.

therealtruth
03-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Pop put Dice in the starting lineup last season and claimed they need better defense for the playoffs. This season Blair's defense isn't much better. He should do the same with Splitter this year if he's being consistent. Why do it last year and not this year?

T Park
03-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Because Splitter and McDyess are two completely different players.

jag
03-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Pop put Dice in the starting lineup last season and claimed they need better defense for the playoffs. This season Blair's defense isn't much better. He should do the same with Splitter this year if he's being consistent. Why do it last year and not this year?

I think Diaw is more likely.

MB3//
03-27-2012, 05:35 PM
I think Pop will keep Bonner and Splitter paired together.
Hopefully Splitter can get healthy soon, because I think Blair will eventually be the odd man out, with Diaw moving into the starting lineup.

angelbelow
03-27-2012, 05:37 PM

Hmmm...

How is that even relevant? I don't think anyone on this site wants Splitter to play less. If Splitter is healthy and only gets 18-20 minutes per game, I would still complain about it.

Him being injury prone was a possible explanation for his time being limited, not something that Pop's said about Tiago this year.

roycrikside
03-27-2012, 06:04 PM
This was 6 days ago:

It says they won't let him go b2b "for now." Doesn't say for the whole year.

DPG21920
03-27-2012, 06:19 PM
How is that even relevant? I don't think anyone on this site wants Splitter to play less. If Splitter is healthy and only gets 18-20 minutes per game, I would still complain about it.

Him being injury prone was a possible explanation for his time being limited, not something that Pop's said about Tiago this year.

Point is Manu is way more injury prone than Tiago and plays more minutes; Tiago's minutes weren't being monitored by Pop because of injury. They were being monitored because Pop doesn't like playing him more minutes for whatever reason.

Pop also says a lot of bull shit about Tiago's injuries (see training camp bull shit excuse "not fair to the team...") that really doesn't hold weight when examined closer.

MaNu4Tres
03-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Point is Manu is way more injury prone than Tiago and plays more minutes; Tiago's minutes weren't being monitored by Pop because of injury. They were being monitored because Pop doesn't like playing him more minutes for whatever reason.

Pop also says a lot of bull shit about Tiago's injuries (see training camp bull shit excuse "not fair to the team...") that really doesn't hold weight when examined closer.

DPG speaks truth.

Angelbelow is really reaching, tbh.

angelbelow
03-27-2012, 06:37 PM
DPG speaks truth.

Angelbelow is really reaching, tbh.

I was responding to EricB not DPG.

I agree with what DPG has said which is why I responded to Eric the way I did.

Penya
03-27-2012, 06:52 PM
@poundingtherock

Tiago is out, Jax is out (rest), Neal in.

DPG21920
03-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Tiago is out tonight. Jax is out (rest).

TD 21
03-27-2012, 06:54 PM

I agree, it's completely ridiculous that they're still babying him. They should be more concerned with getting him in peak condition at this point. Unless they think their odds of winning four rounds are better with him being able to play 28 mpg instead of 34 mpg. Funny, they have no problem letting Parker run himself ragged for 37-39 minutes a lot of games, as if he has an unlimited supply of energy, but heaven forbid Ginobili play a back to back where he plays a whole 50-something combined minutes. Even for them, this is extreme. You usually only see this with someone coming off a major injury, that's been out for most or all of a season.

I disagree, though, about them not being true contenders. They've mostly fixed their personnel issues (the utilization of them is another story) and despite their babying of Ginobili and Splitter, if this were the playoffs, I presume both would be able to play and do so at least close to their peak. So if they're not contenders, then no one in the West is.

Spurs da champs
@poundingtherock

:rolleyes

DesignatedT
I think that's a good move for Jax. He was lookin pretty tired out there against Philly

FkLA
03-27-2012, 06:55 PM
WTF. Is Jack going to get the old treatment as well ?

DPG21920
03-27-2012, 06:55 PM
It's amazing how this team wins at the rate they do with cycling players in and out. Pop is really amazing at that considering they don't have what is considered a lot of top flight talent either.

Robz4000
03-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Understandable for Jax. Hopefully him and Tiago play tomorrow night. Knowing Pop though he's gonna rest Manu and someone else.

FkLA
03-27-2012, 07:01 PM
I agree, it's completely ridiculous that they're still babying him. They should be more concerned with getting him in peak condition at this point. Unless they think their odds of winning four rounds are better with him being able to play 28 mpg instead of 34 mpg. Funny, they have no problem letting Parker run himself ragged for 37-39 minutes a lot of games, as if he has an unlimited supply of energy, but heaven forbid Ginobili play a back to back where he plays a whole 50-something combined minutes. Even for them, this is extreme. You usually only see this with someone coming off a major injury, that's been out for most or all of a season.

Its definitely Pop babying him. He played 80 games last season, I doubt his body went from being able to endure that to breaking down to the point where he cant even play in a second game of a back to back. Pop is the only coach in the league that would do something like this. Even what he does with Tim and did with Horry at some point is unheard of in any other team.

Spurs da champs
03-27-2012, 07:02 PM
It's amazing how this team wins at the rate they do with cycling players in and out. Pop is really amazing at that considering they don't have what is considered a lot of top flight talent either.

Yes but he's being a little overzealous with Jack, the guy didn't play much for the Bucks...he needs the playing time now to get in shape for the playoffs, no?

bklynspursfan
03-27-2012, 07:02 PM
No Jackson/Tiago will be tough. But hopefully Green keeps up his consistent play. We'll need him. Tomorrow will be a more physical game, so I'm cool with Jackson playing in that one.

loveforthegame
03-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Don't want overlook the Suns game but I think Jackson and Splitter are needed more tomorrow night.

Hoops Czar
03-27-2012, 07:10 PM
@poundingtherock

Jesus age christ. Resting a player who's averaging less than 25 minutes a game since arriving. Oh, I see Blair's starting again.

DesignatedT
03-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Yes but he's being a little overzealous with Jack, the guy didn't play much for the Bucks...he needs the playing time now to get in shape for the playoffs, no?

That goes both ways. Pushing a guy too hard that hasn't played all year has injury written all over it.

Spurs da champs
03-27-2012, 07:13 PM
That goes both ways. Pushing a guy too hard that hasn't played all year has injury written all over it.

I suppose 22MPG is pushing it right?

DesignatedT
03-27-2012, 07:14 PM

5 games in 6 nights is pushing it for everybody. Especially those in their mid 30s.

DesignatedT
03-27-2012, 07:15 PM
3 games in a row is pushing it for everybody.

Mel_13
03-27-2012, 07:15 PM

He turns 34 next week and just played all three games of a b2b2b.

Hoops Czar
03-27-2012, 07:16 PM
3 games in a row is pushing it for everybody.

I guess Blair and Green win the iron man award.

Reck
03-27-2012, 07:17 PM

And? This is pro sports. You should be ready to play when your number is call.

The I may get injure because I haven't play much this year card is a pussy cop out.

Personally I dont care whether he plays or not. We have got a stacked team so all is good.

benefactor
It says they won't let him go b2b "for now." Doesn't say for the whole year.
lol whole year. How many games are left?

DesignatedT
I guess Blair and Green win the iron man award.

Are you that stupid? You realize they are 10-12 years younger right?

freetiago
03-27-2012, 07:18 PM
they had a day off
and jack averages like 40 mins per game for his career
he should be playing back to backs

pop has become to soft
injuries wont happen when you play 20 mins a night with multiple timeouts and a half hour break in between when your suppose to be a collection of the best athletes in the world
only freak accidents could occur during those
its way more important for this team to get some chemistry then butcher the lineup for some false sense of security over injuries
we all saw what happened with manu last year

once the playoffs start well see players passing it to nobody and missed help rotations because they thought someone should have been there or moved here etc
which will be the result of lack of playing time togeteher

DesignatedT
03-27-2012, 07:18 PM
And? This is pro sports.You should be ready to play when your number is call.

The I may get injure because I haven't play much this year card is a pussy cop out.

Who said they aren't ready to play? Thankfully we have a coach who realized this is a meaningless game and is aiming for something much higher.

Spurs da champs
03-27-2012, 07:19 PM
5 games in 6 nights is pushing it for everybody. Especially those in there mid 30s.

Well resting him tomorrow makes more sense, Suns believe it or not are still a possible playoff match up, just knock their asses out of contention. Now the game tomorrow is meaningless.

DesignatedT
03-27-2012, 07:19 PM
If Jax played this b2b that would be 5 games in 6 nights for a 34 year old player who hasn't gotten a lot of burn this year. That would be fucking retarded to push him like that. Some of you are too stupid to realize this.

Hoops Czar
03-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Are you that stupid? You realize they are 10-12 years younger right?

Wake the F up.... "5 games in 6 nights is pushing it for everyone" DesignatedT

Your words, not mine.

Spurs da champs
If Jax played this b2b that would be 5 games in 6 nights for a 34 year old player who hasn't gotten a lot of burn this year. That would be fucking retarded to push him like that. Some of you are too stupid to realize this.

Sadly you realize his lack of playing this year & stupidly praise him being rested.

DesignatedT
Wake the F up.... "5 games in 6 nights is pushing it for everyone" DesignatedT

Your words, not mine.

Yeah they are my words, what is your point again?

DesignatedT
03-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Sadly you realize his lack of playing this year & stupidly praise him being rested.

If he had been playing 30mpg this season playing every game he would be BETTER equipped to take on a stretch of 5 games in 6 nights. The fact that he hasn't played this season would make it worse. That's how you get hurt.

DPG21920
03-27-2012, 07:24 PM
I think he's saying you referenced "everyone" yet then clarified that Green is younger than Jax.

Reck
03-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Who said they aren't ready to play? Thankfully we have a coach who realized this is a meaningless game and is aiming for something much higher.

I was reffering to your comment about pushing a guy too much because he may not have played alot this year.

As a professional athlete you should not miss games because you're not in game shape.

And as far as the meaningless game, this isn't one of them. You dont want to give the Suns more life then they already have. A loss here wouldn't hurt the Spurs in the long term but it also helps the other team so you dont want to give a surging team even more confidence.

DPG21920
03-27-2012, 07:26 PM
I do agree with some of the moves with regards to age/rest, but I honestly think Spurs fans have been forced to accept that as "smart" or "normal". I would really like to see some numbers on older players who play a certain amount of minutes and how they do with injury because it seems like other teams have older guys that play a little more consistently and are fine.

DesignatedT
03-27-2012, 07:26 PM
It is pushing it for everyone but sadly you can't sit everyone out so those that are younger and in better game shape still have to play. The downfall of a shortened season....

Hoops Czar
03-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Yeah they are my words, what is your point again?

Oh no, what's your point...

"You realize they are 10-12 years younger right?" DesignatedT

You realize Blair has no ACL's right?

crc21209
03-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Damn it. I enjoy seeing the games now more that Jax plays. Oh well, let him get some rest. I think he could've been pretty useful tonight though....

angelbelow
03-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Fine with the decision to rest Jack but would prefer to play him. One one hand, he hasn't played much all year and hes not playing a high number of minutes for the Spurs. So I personally don't see any problems with playing him tonight or tomorrow - as long as you keep his minutes around 20 minutes like it has been.

But, I'm also okay with him sitting out for some rest. Hes coming off a hamstring injury and he isn't the stallion that he used to be. He's gelling with the team nicely so a resting him here wouldn't be much of a hiccup, team building wise.

slick'81
03-27-2012, 07:33 PM
just pop being pop nothing to see here

Spurs da champs
03-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Bench him tomorrow then because that's the real meaningless game, Suns again like I said are a possible play off match up.

TD 21
03-27-2012, 07:35 PM
So sitting Jackson this one game is going to make a difference in the long run, how? Barring a rash of injuries on the wings, it's not like they're going to need him to play 35 mpg. He'll likely settle in somewhere between 20-30 mpg. For a guy who's been amongst league leaders in mpg for years, I think he can handle that.

At this point, the biggest concern should be getting everyone in peak shape and allowing them to build as much chemistry and rhythm before the playoffs. If they keep this up much longer, they're going to be completely disjointed come the playoffs. And come playoff time, all it takes is one loss and a second game that's close for doubt to creep in and for a team to be behind the eight ball. Once that happens, advancing becomes a dicey proposition.

So starting with the Pacers game, they should put together the playoff rotation and start playing them close to the minutes they'll play then. Obviously, come the back-to-back-to-back, they're not going to do that and maybe not the last one or two, if they've got the second seed wrapped up. Other than that, they should. It's time.

Mel_13
03-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Just tweeted by Jeff Mc:

Hearing Pop will hold Stephen Jackson out tonight for rest reasons. Will confirm soon.

http://twitter.com/#!/JMcDonald_SAEN

Nothing gets past this guy.

:downspin:

Reck
03-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Just tweeted by Jeff Mc:

Hearing Pop will hold Stephen Jackson out tonight for rest reasons. Will confirm soon.

http://twitter.com/#!/JMcDonald_SAEN (http://twitter.com/#%21/JMcDonald_SAEN)

Where you been? We have been discussing his resting for the past 2 pages. lol

Mel_13
03-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Where you been? We have been discussing his resting for the past 2 pages. lol

Did you read the whole post? lol.

Reck
03-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Did you read the whole post? lol.

Post or thread, do you mean?

No for the latter. I joined the discussion after the Jackson resting thing.

NASpurs
03-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Just tweeted by Jeff Mc:

http://twitter.com/#!/JMcDonald_SAEN (http://twitter.com/#%21/JMcDonald_SAEN)

Does he get his news from a carrier pigeon or something?

NASpurs
03-27-2012, 07:52 PM

Jeff McDonald is slow in getting his news.

Mel_13
03-27-2012, 07:52 PM

This guy got the joke:

Does he get his news from a carrier pigeon or something?

ace3g
03-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Jeff McDonald ‏ @JMcDonald_SAEN

Object might be to rest Jack, but he's getting quite a sweat during pregame warm-ups.

Hoops Czar
03-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Well now that's not good.

Robz4000
03-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Hopefully he at least dresses in case he's needed. Never know what might happen.

TDMVPDPOY
03-27-2012, 08:10 PM
lol the retards in this thread who want the main rotational players to play, yeh to get a injury late into the season heading into the playoffs...

Hoops Czar
03-27-2012, 08:16 PM
lol the retards in this thread who want the main rotational players to play, yeh to get a injury late into the season heading into the playoffs...

Can't preserve them in glass jars either. Injuries are going to happen whether you hold them out a night or not.

Mel_13
03-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Grant Hill out tonight with "knee strain". PHX on first night of b2b.

Hoops Czar
03-27-2012, 08:30 PM
That's good news. Hill usually plays well against the Spurs.

therealtruth
03-27-2012, 08:42 PM
So sitting Jackson this one game is going to make a difference in the long run, how? Barring a rash of injuries on the wings, it's not like they're going to need him to play 35 mpg. He'll likely settle in somewhere between 20-30 mpg. For a guy who's been amongst league leaders in mpg for years, I think he can handle that.

At this point, the biggest concern should be getting everyone in peak shape and allowing them to build as much chemistry and rhythm before the playoffs. If they keep this up much longer, they're going to be completely disjointed come the playoffs. And come playoff time, all it takes is one loss and a second game that's close for doubt to creep in and for a team to be behind the eight ball. Once that happens, advancing becomes a dicey proposition.

So starting with the Pacers game, they should put together the playoff rotation and start playing them close to the minutes they'll play then. Obviously, come the back-to-back-to-back, they're not going to do that and maybe not the last one or two, if they've got the second seed wrapped up. Other than that, they should. It's time.

I agree. Rest should come from blowing out the other team and playing with a lead.

ElNono
03-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Frankly, the Spurs have been doing this for the past 3 or 4 seasons and have nothing to show for it. Let's hope it pays off this season...

Proxy
03-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Seems to be more frequent in this shortened season... if there has been a string of small injuries for everyone, it makes sense to be conservative when the depth of this team allows it. The past playoff runs have depended on Manu... and failed due to a broken arm and broken nose.

MannyIsGod
03-27-2012, 11:01 PM
Frankly, the Spurs have been doing this for the past 3 or 4 seasons and have nothing to show for it. Let's hope it pays off this season...

Well, its not like its really hurt them either.

sasffl
03-27-2012, 11:18 PM
When will Tiago be OK? You can use the old-age center too much

crc21209
03-27-2012, 11:19 PM
Bonner came back 1 game after back spasms, Tiago still hasnt come back. Hmm....could Bonner be tougher than Tiago? :lol

timtonymanu
03-27-2012, 11:20 PM
Probably should have mentioned Jackson (rest) in the title since 100 questions were asked about it :lol

therealtruth
03-28-2012, 02:37 AM
Maybe Pop's holding him out to justify the injury-prone label.

angelbelow
03-28-2012, 02:48 AM
Probably should have mentioned Jackson (rest) in the title since 100 questions were asked about it :lol

Agreed, maybe someone (ace or timvp) can start a new one when they get the updates for tomorrows game.

TD 21
03-28-2012, 06:43 PM
This is a weird injury, in that there's not really any updates on his progress. I know backs can be tricky and he could wake up tomorrow and feel fine, but still. Given how injury prone he is to begin with, I'm beginning to get a bad feeling about this. That out of the blue we're going to find out he needs surgery and is out for weeks, if not the season. Maybe not now, but at some point.

Whether it's this or something else that does him in though, I just don't see him making it through the playoffs. Things are going too well, something has to go wrong. The big three are due to collectively be healthy for a playoffs, so now watch their fourth most indispensable player go down.

EVAY
03-28-2012, 06:56 PM
So, is Splitter paying tonight or what? Does anybody know who is at least suiting up? I've looked on nab. com and spurs.com and can't find anything.

Dex
03-28-2012, 07:01 PM
20m Ric Renner ‏ @RicRenFSSW
Hearing the only ??? mark for tonight's Spurs game: Tiago Splitter (back-spasms-DaytoDay)...Jackson is back..Big3 in with 2 days off coming

slick'81
03-28-2012, 07:03 PM
finally a pretty full roster -tiago

lets whoop those kings

Splits
03-28-2012, 07:05 PM
So I guess the no Manu b2b rule is over.

Why did Jackson not play last night? I heard on the twitter he threw a chair at Pop and now he's going to play tonight? Jeez.

AnthonyM
03-28-2012, 07:56 PM
James Ham ‏ @James_Ham (https://twitter.com/#%21/James_Ham)

Close (https://twitter.com/#%21/James_Ham/status/185166852371120128)

Tiago Splitter will play tonight for the Spurs. He's missed the last four games with back spasms.
Retweeted by Steve Alexander (https://twitter.com/#%21/docktora)

Mugen
03-28-2012, 07:57 PM
The Golden God is back!

Splits
03-28-2012, 08:22 PM

Splitman playing tonight. Oops.

Manu playing tonight. Oops.

benefactor
03-28-2012, 08:28 PM
The Golden God is back!
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/gospelrapper/crane-transformer.gif

jag
03-28-2012, 08:44 PM
The Golden God is back!

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z46/JamesAZX/misc/48189885684211486360125-1.gif

Wild Cobra Kai
03-28-2012, 08:45 PM
So Tiagos vagina finally healed?

Mel_13
03-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Not sure which gif is more disturbing.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/gospelrapper/crane-transformer.gif

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z46/JamesAZX/misc/48189885684211486360125-1.gif

Mugen
03-28-2012, 08:48 PM
:lmao

jag
03-28-2012, 08:48 PM
So Tiagos vagina finally healed?

http://donttrysohard.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/russell-serious.gif

slick'81
03-28-2012, 08:55 PM
that transformer is fckn hilarious

WeNeedLength
03-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Splitterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Shit's lookin' good. A month left, everyone healthy.

Now all of us collectively knock on wood for it to remain like that...