PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker- "Goal is to win a championship"

bklynspursfan
03-27-2012, 11:28 AM
I know this is a given with players on the team, but he seems more confident this year than in recent years. I know last year he said that was their last chance or whatever, but he seems to be (like Tim) really motivated by the recent moves.

I remember in 2007 he was talking very confidently before the season, and told Finley to go there cause they would win the championship. I can't help but think this guy is going to play his ass off in the playoffs. I pray this team stays healthy! :flag:

“Our goal is to win a championship. Tim Duncan and I haven’t got a lot of time left. The Spurs made the right moves by signing Stephen Jackson, Boris Diaw and Patty Mills. We have a complete team now. We know we can beat everybody in the West, we proved it by beating OKC two times already. Winning another title is something we can do this year.

http://aggbot.com/San-Antonio-Spurs-News/article/16490551

cheguevara
03-27-2012, 11:35 AM
I thought that was the goal every year?

bklynspursfan
03-27-2012, 11:38 AM
I thought that was the goal every year?

Perhaps. Was it ever attainable realistically? Not sure. One injury last year at the end of the season to Manu derailed everything. If Manu goes down same time, they've got more weapons to keep them afloat.

BanditHiro
03-27-2012, 11:47 AM
lol parker is such a bandwagon fan. before this year he was saying the spurs weren't going to do shit and now all of a sudden the spurs are doing well and he is hoping back on the drive for five wagon.

Sean Cagney
03-27-2012, 11:51 AM
lol parker is such a bandwagon fan. before this year he was saying the spurs weren't going to do shit and now all of a sudden the spurs are doing well and he is hoping back on the drive for five wagon.

Honestly, who the hell before the season thought the Spurs had a shot? I would be very few.

ffadicted
03-27-2012, 11:56 AM

The low IQ level of some opinions in spurstalk never seize to amaze me, no matter how many times I come across them.

Like any other fan with a brain, the moves that the spurs made this season definitly make me (and Tony) a lot more confident about being in the race for a 'chip.

Seventyniner
03-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Tony has been pretty honest by what I remember. He said a couple years ago that the Spurs weren't contenders and much of ST got on him for it, but he was right. If Tony thinks this team should go all the way, he has the experience, knowledge, and honesty to back it up.

therealtruth
03-27-2012, 02:01 PM
I remember in 2007 he was talking very confidently before the season, and told Finley to go there cause they would win the championship. I can't help but think this guy is going to play his ass off in the playoffs. I pray this team stays healthy! :flag:

Finley came over in '06 and they lost to the Mavs that year.

spursince#99
03-27-2012, 02:07 PM
If we don't at least make it to game 7 in the WCF I'll stop watching basketball lol

rmt
03-27-2012, 02:33 PM
“Our goal is to win a championship. Tim Duncan and I haven’t got a lot of time left. The Spurs made the right moves by signing Stephen Jackson, Boris Diaw and Patty Mills. We have a complete team now. We know we can beat everybody in the West, we proved it by beating OKC two times already. Winning another title is something we can do this year.

http://aggbot.com/San-Antonio-Spurs-News/article/16490551

Bolded is bulletin board material for LA. Why does he think he doesn't have a chance after TD? - he's only 29. Maybe that's an indication that he intends to stay with the Spurs after TD/Manu.

sehui
03-27-2012, 02:43 PM
If we don't at least make it to game 7 in the WCF I'll stop watching basketball lol

...you probably won't live up to that statement. Anything can happen in the West man. Did anyone remotely think Dallas would win it all, let alone get to the finals?

bklynspursfan
03-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Finley came over in '06 and they lost to the Mavs that year.

I know, but that next year they won it. So Finley came in 06 and they won it the next year. Better late than never. He lived up to his word

spursince#99
03-27-2012, 02:52 PM
...you probably won't live up to that statement. Anything can happen in the West man. Did anyone remotely think Dallas would win it all, let alone get to the finals?

welp in many ways we're pretty much in the same predicament they were in lasy year. Both teams we're deep and under the radar.

therealtruth
03-27-2012, 04:14 PM

Dallas was playing good ball at the right time. Also their defensive improvement really helped them. They had always been able to score but when they started defending it gave them a chance. The Spurs were right up there. The problem is they didn't improve their defense enough.

mystargtr34
03-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Tony has always been realistic and honest, even when speaking to the media. If he says the Spurs will win the championship this year, then he believes it.

Theres a reason you didnt hear that from him last season or the season before.

Lol Blair and Bonner 2nd and 3rd bigs.

Lol relying on RJ.

timvp
03-27-2012, 04:51 PM
TP is brutally honest plus he doesn't think through the ramifications of what he says. That's good for us because he usually says exactly what he's thinking. It sounded like his belief had waned in recent years but in hindsight he was right. As long as RJ was on this team, there was no way the Spurs were going to win a championship.

Earlier this season before the RJ trade I said the Spurs' chances of winning the championship was about 1%. Looking back at that, I was being homer to give the Spurs even that much of a shot, tbh.

therealtruth
03-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Did TP ever explain how he let Mike Conley outplay a Finals MVP?

Hooks
03-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Prior to the trade deadline I thought the teams ceiling was the WCF but now I think this team could go all the way with the additions and the BIG subtraction that was RJ.

The team looks a whole lot different out there, much better defense and everything is just clicking on offense like a well oiled machine, the ball movement is just ridiculous.

timaios
03-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Did TP ever explain how he let Mike Conley outplay a Finals MVP?

Parker 19.7 pts 46.2% FG 5.2 ast 3.3 to 2.7 reb
Conley 14.3 pts 39.5% FG 6.1 ast 2.1 to 4.5 reb

Yeah, Parker was totally, absolutely outplayed by Conley.
The defeat last year has nothing to do with the Spurs interior defense.

TDMVPDPOY
03-27-2012, 08:50 PM
i wonder what was his plans last season

DMC
03-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Tony was talking about NBALive. You have to pick a goal at the start of the season. He picked "win a championship". With 2 frenchmen on the floor, how can they quit?

100%duncan
03-27-2012, 10:56 PM
nba=fuck:lold

MannyIsGod
03-27-2012, 11:06 PM
Parker got shit on for his off season comments, but what if those comments motivated the front office this year?

Impossible to know, but CIA Parker!?!?!?!?

SenorSpur
03-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Honestly, who the hell before the season thought the Spurs had a shot? I would be very few.

Allow me to step up and proclaim that after that ass-whupping the Grizzlies put on the Spurs in the playoffs, and the fact that they came into the season with one big short, I didn't think they would even making the playoffs - much less have a chance to contend for a title this season.

shraediggz
03-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Some of you guys sure love b!tch!ng.

Hey guess what people. We won another game tonight. Ya'll should really start trying to enjoy some of these Wins while they're still en vogue.

It's like we lose, we complain. We win, we complain even more.

If we do win the title this year, I wouldn't be surprised to hear people b!tch!ng that it's not our 10th title in a row.

People need to give it a rest.

therealtruth
03-28-2012, 02:36 AM
Allow me to step up and proclaim that after that ass-whupping the Grizzlies put on the Spurs in the playoffs, and the fact that they came into the season with one big short, I didn't think they would even making the playoffs - much less have a chance to contend for a title this season.

The Spurs are good at the regular season. It's just the playoffs that they struggle with. Pop's become a better regular season coach but gotten worse in the playoffs.