PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys @ Giants To Open 2012 Season

Darth_Pelican
03-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Wednesday night football!

Giants to host Cowboys on Sept. 5

Updated: March 27, 2012, 4:45 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

The Super Bowl champion New York Giants (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyg/new-york-giants) will host the Dallas Cowboys (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/dal/dallas-cowboys) at MetLife Stadium on Sept. 5 to kick off the 2012 regular season, the NFL announced Tuesday.
The game will be played at 8:30 p.m. ET and televised by NBC.

The regular season has started on a Thursday since 2002, but the league moved this year's opener up a day to avoid a conflict with President Barack Obama's planned speech at the Democratic National Convention.

According to the league, it hasn't played a game on a Wednesday since Sept. 22, 1948, when the Rams faced the Lions.
It is the ninth straight season in which the defending Super Bowl champion will host the NFL Kickoff game.
The Giants would not have been able to reach the Super Bowl if not for two critical victories over the Cowboys in the span of a month last season.
New York won in Dallas, 37-34, after Jason Pierre-Paul (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13256/jason-pierre-paul) blocked a potential overtime-forcing field goal on Dec. 11 and then capped a sweep of the Cowboys with a 31-14 victory in the regular-season finale on Jan. 1 with the NFC East division title and a playoff berth at stake.

The telecast of the Jan. 1 victory over Dallas drew 27.6 million viewers, the most for a Sunday night game. It also was the most-watched regular-season primetime game in 15 years.

It will be the first time the Giants closed one season and opened the next one in the same venue against the same opponent since 1994-95, when they hosted the Cowboys at Giants Stadium.
The Giants have won five of their last six meetings against the Cowboys. This will be the second time the Giants have played in the NFL Kickoff game. They opened their Super Bowl title defense in 2008 with a 16-7 victory over Washington at home.

Information from ESPNNewYork.com's Ohm Youngmisuk and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

slick'81
03-27-2012, 04:05 PM
of course

VBM
03-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Another 0-1 start for the Cowboys :depressed

Pelicans78
03-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Weak sauce IMO. Should have been the Packers or even Saints. Both teams go to NY this season. Cowboys didn't even make the playoffs last season.

BUMP
03-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Usually the best opening games are when the defending champs host either a good team who they don't play often or a new look team that will get a lot of ratings.

I think the Steelers or Redskins would have been better choices

crc21209
03-27-2012, 07:26 PM
Damn.....0-1 it is then....:td

TIMMYtoZO
03-27-2012, 08:40 PM
:lol That matchup works for me. The regular season debut of future star DT Marvin Austin is what excites me more than anything else.

RaZon
03-28-2012, 06:09 AM
The game will mean far more to the Cowboys than the Giants. The Giants not one of the better early season teams either. A Cowboy victory wouldn't shock me.

manufan10
03-28-2012, 08:18 AM
How long has it been since the Cowboys have opened the season at home?

Bill_Brasky
03-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Maybe the Cowboys can beat them at the beginning of the season when it doesn't matter, because we sure as shit know they can't when the pressure is on.

BanditHiro
03-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Maybe the Cowboys can beat them at the beginning of the season when it doesn't matter, because we sure as shit know they can't when the pressure is on.

the defense won't fold like they usually do at the end of the year.

Bill_Brasky
03-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Yeah I fully expect Dallas' first game to be their best.

DeadlyDynasty
03-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Giants-Cowboys games are usually very entertaining, so I like the selection. The game is psychologically more important to the Cowboys, but the G-Men can't afford to drop winnable games this year b/c their schedule actually got harder, no joke. Six games against a division where the other 3 teams all look improved (on paper), play the AFC North, NFC South, and the Packers and 49ers. Brutal.

Slydragon
03-29-2012, 12:02 PM
I know this guy won't be watching,

http://www.ksat.com/news/Death-Row-inmate-shouts-Go-Cowboys-before-execution/-/478452/9742898/-/2mdyoi/-/index.html

Spurtacus
03-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Giants-Cowboys games are usually very entertaining, so I like the selection. The game is psychologically more important to the Cowboys, but the G-Men can't afford to drop winnable games this year b/c their schedule actually got harder, no joke. Six games against a division where the other 3 teams all look improved (on paper), play the AFC North, NFC South, and the Packers and 49ers. Brutal.

Then the Cowboys schedule got harder too. They will play similar teams. I know both play the Saints, Steelers, Ravens. Falcons.

DeadlyDynasty
03-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Then the Cowboys schedule got harder too. They will play similar teams. I know both play the Saints, Steelers, Ravens. Falcons.

Same schedule, except Giants get Packers and 49ers too. Hardest schedule in the league.

Darth_Pelican
08-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Bump.

Real football is almost here!

Early prediction:

Giants 27
Cowboys 23

DeadlyDynasty
08-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Romo might not make it through the game, by the looks of det O-line.

symple19
08-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Giants by 73 touchdowns... Book it!

Trainwreck2100
08-15-2012, 06:21 PM
cowboys will be up by 40 points in the 3rd quarter, and will find a way to lose it

Darth_Pelican
08-16-2012, 05:33 PM
I was predicting a close game but now that it looks like Witten is going to be out, I'll say

Giants 31
Cowboys 16

leemajors
08-16-2012, 08:16 PM
I was predicting a close game but now that it looks like Witten is going to be out, I'll say

Giants 31
Cowboys 16

Generous given half the o-line is out as well.

jjktkk
08-16-2012, 10:23 PM
That Cowboys Oline looks horrible right now. Romo might want to call in sick that day. :lol

rascal
08-23-2012, 04:12 PM

Don't tell me you line both The Lakers and Dallas. Bad taste.

Are you marketing tool.

rascal
08-23-2012, 04:13 PM
That Cowboys Oline looks horrible right now. Romo might want to call in sick that day. :lol

Most of their receivers are injured.

symple19
08-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Don't tell me you line both The Lakers and Dallas. Bad taste.

Are you marketing tool.

He's a Bills fan, fuckface

The Gemini Method
08-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Who should I root for this year? Last year I was rooting for individual players. Time to jump onto a bandwagon cuz let's face it: USC is the NFL in L.A.

I think the Giants will win this one, but it'll be a close one and somehow a Romo interception seals it late. Tough schedule for the Giants--But I see them being better than last year at least record wise.

symple19
08-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Who should I root for this year? Last year I was rooting for individual players. Time to jump onto a bandwagon cuz let's face it: USC is the NFL in L.A.

I think the Giants will win this one, but it'll be a close one and somehow a Romo interception seals it late. Tough schedule for the Giants--But I see them being better than last year at least record wise.

lol, can't imagine what it would be like to not have a team...

curious...you grow up a Rams or a Raiders fan?

The Gemini Method
08-23-2012, 05:17 PM
I went to more Rams games because my pops would get free tickets and whatnot from his job, but I didn't really support either team. I was too big a fan of baseball/basketball to really follow football. As I got older, I started paying attention to USC first and then the NFL--that was around 97-98 so it was well after the Raiders and Rams left town. I will put my undying support in whichever product we get here in L.A. Though I must admit I'll miss being able to see 3 day games, the Sunday Night game and the Monday night game w/o having to worry about blackouts and whatnot.

TE
09-05-2012, 10:43 PM
:lmao