PDA

View Full Version : Spurs turned Mr. Big Shot into Mr. Spectator

Kori Ellis
06-21-2005, 01:05 AM
Spurs turned Mr. Big Shot into Mr. Spectator
Web Posted: 06/21/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062105.5S.BKNspurs.bowen.2caea28e.html

When games are in the balance at crunch time, the Spurs have "Big Shot Bob" — or, as he apparently prefers, "Big Shot Rob."

Forward Robert Horry.

The Detroit Pistons have their own version of Mr. Clutch, but they call point guard Chauncey Billups "Mr. Big Shot."

That being the case, and with Billups having scored 32 points during regulation of Game 6 on Sunday night, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich made a defensive move in overtime that made it more difficult for the Pistons to score because it took Billups out of his comfort zone.

Mr. Big Shot, meet Mr. Pest, alias Bruce Bowen.

The runner-up to Pistons center Ben Wallace in voting for the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year, Bowen used all his tricks and tenacity on Billups, the MVP of last year's NBA Finals.

Bowen said he suggested the change to Popovich and Popovich concurred.

"Because Chauncey was making some tough shots on Tony (Parker) and it was about me using my length against Chauncey," Bowen said. "I thought it would affect him a little bit because I feel like I'm quick enough to try to stay in front of him and, at the same time, put a hand up when he pulls up because he got deep in the paint a couple of times and he was already up, and Tony (Parker) did all he could."

The move, of course, left the 6-foot-2 Parker on 6-7 Richard Hamilton, a physical mismatch that Parker negated with his quickness and tenacity.

"Tony did a very good job," Popovich said. "Tony is going to have a size mismatch against almost anybody. At the time, we just felt that Billups was really hurting us and Tony was having a tough time with him at that point in the game.

"Tony is pretty quick, and we thought that he could chase Rip around a little bit."

The defensive stratagem worked to perfection when the Pistons ran their final play of overtime after Horry's 3-pointer with 5.8 seconds remaining. After three timeouts — two by the Pistons, one by the Spurs — the Pistons could not get the ball to Billups, being shadowed by Bowen. Instead, Hamilton ended up with it, guarded by Parker. Hamilton drove into the lane and put up a contested shot that missed.

"On the last play, he played great position defense," Popovich said of Parker. "He kept his position, didn't foul and made it very difficult for Hamilton to get a shot off.

"Bruce followed that up with a rebound. Before that we had gotten a couple of stops, but Tayshaun (Prince) had gotten the rebound and put it back in. So Bruce's rebound was as critical to the final play as Tony's defense."

Popovich heaped praise on Bowen's willingness to do all the defensive dirty work, which typically goes unnoticed.

"Bruce sets such a tone for us by doing what he does night after night after night," Popovich said. "(Sunday) night, we asked him to do something that was a little different down the stretch, and I think that he responded very well.

"It is really important for us to have that individual on the team. He knows what his strengths are and he sticks with them. He doesn't get paranoid about the things that he doesn't do. We call zero plays for him.

"I think that the last time we called a play for him was a couple years ago. Most players can't handle that. You have to at least throw them a bone. He has had no bones."

T Park
06-21-2005, 01:15 AM
im sure Bowen will go back to guarding Hamilton.

Hamilton only had what, 13 points???

leemajors
06-21-2005, 01:20 AM
i think they will stick with the matchups they have had going all series. but a couple switch ups at key times wouldn't hurt either if necessary, just like last night.

weebo
06-21-2005, 01:21 AM
Bowen will be back on Hamilton, but if the game is close and in the final minutes of the game will he get some time on Billups?

Mr. Body
06-21-2005, 01:22 AM
Hmm... I remember suggesting siccing Bowen on Billups and getting some denials by fairly prominent members of this board. I'm glad the idea bore out.

Hamilton was running off screens very well last game and it seems a quicker player might deny the ball better than the slightly slower Bowen. The problem here is that, once the defender closes and Rip doesn't shot, he'd just be able to shoot over Parker.

Bowen on Billups is a great matchup. He has the lateral quickness and size to really bother him. In effect this would jam the defense.

I don't expect to see the switch made permanent, but it will be used in spots, perhaps at the ends of quarters and after time outs. Parker would wear out chasing Hamilton, while Bowen gets to rest on offense.

Solid D
06-21-2005, 04:16 AM
Bowen also defended Billups at the end of the 4th quarter. Parker did a nice job on two possessions against Rip, getting a piece of one turn-around jumper when Rip tried to post TP up. The shot never reached the rim. The second one was on the last play of the game.

As far as Bowen defending Billups went, Chauncey did get a couple of clean shots against Bowen. Once earlier in the 4th, he got a step on Bowen and TP had his back turned as the help defender, so Chauncey scored. Chauncey also got a clean 16 foot jumper off a screen near the FT line against Bowen but he missed. Had he made it, it would have gotten the lead back to 4.

Bowen's defense on Billups on his drives down the middle in the 4th and again in OT was stellar, however.

spurster
06-21-2005, 08:18 AM
Maybe double Chancey to get the ball out of his hands?

ObiwanGinobili
06-21-2005, 08:22 AM
i think pop should realize when billups is hot (make 4-5 shots in a row) to switch off bowen to him. just a couple of plays with bowen can offset any momentum billups has.

thoughts

yeah, I pretty much agree with that. Billups is the kind of player that feeds off his own momentum... you don't want to give it to him.

I'd want ot rotate Bowen to him 1 or 2 times before the 4th qtr. and if things were tight at the end give him some serious min.s on Billups at that time.

Personally i think this was great thinking on Bruce's part , and also really shows what a great coach Pop is and the trust he has with his players.

MainEvent
06-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Bowen was solid on Chauncey, but it's not like he kept the ball completely out of Chauncey's hands by himself. A team can deny the ball to one player if they really want to and the Spurs and Pop did that on the last play. That's where LB has to have 2nd and 3rd options designed into the play. Rip was probably the 3rd option (I'm guessing Tayshaun was probably #2), and with Parker on his back, that's normally a matchup I wouldn't mind. But Bowen's definitely gotten into his head, and rather than just rise up and shoot over the top of the shorter player, he tried to get physical and perhaps draw a foul and that's not his game. Parker played good defense and stood his ground, even taking on in the chops.

Dex
06-21-2005, 11:45 AM
Maybe double Chancey to get the ball out of his hands?

Doubling Chauncey leaves a Piston open, and Billups knows how to get the ball to them. Unless that man is Ben Wallace outside of 15 feet, then I don't think the Spurs are willing to do that.