PDA

View Full Version : Power Rankings from across the web

spurs1990
03-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Thought I would muster the established tallys. I hope I'm wrong but this may be the highest we get this season.

I always get a kick out of these. If for nothing else, they give us some notion on what the national media thinks about the SAS. These are from today and yesterday with the comments.

ESPN 3/26

Rank 3 Previous 3
I admit it: I thought this was the season that the Spurs, with such limited flexibility to change their team, could finally be written off. So naturally they've managed to strengthen a supporting cast that was already underrated by importing Jack, Diaw and Patty Mills ... moves that even have Tim Duncan talking big.
__________________________________________________ _______________

CBS 3/27

Rank 3 Previous 4

In the playoffs you win for one of two reasons -- superior talent or matchups. The only team in the West the Spurs can't out-talent is Oklahoma City, who they have matchup advantages against. Keep it in mind, as long as their defense keeps improving.

NBC 3/26

Rank 3 Previous 3

Three games in three nights and the Spurs sweep them all, including wins over Dallas and Philadelphia. Not bad at all. If Manu Ginobili is healthy these Spurs can make it all the way to the Western Conference finals (remember they were without him in loss to Grizzlies last season). And the Spurs are a matchup problem for Thunder.

NBA.com 3/26

Rank 3 Previous 4

The Spurs have held four straight opponents under a point per possession for the first time this season. And they've done it playing a back-to-back-to-back over the weekend. We'll see if their defense has turned a corner on Tuesday, when they visit the Suns, who've been the fourth-best offensive team since the break.

Sports Illustrated 3/26

Rank 3 Previous 4

The Spurs' long history of "playing the right way" in the Gregg Popovich-Tim Duncan era is enormously beneficial when adding pieces for a stretch run. Stephen Jackson and Boris Diaw arrive with a history of temperamental narcissism (Jackson) and questionable conditioning and effort (Diaw), but who doesn't expect them to be motivated and on their best behavior in San Antonio? Throw in the return to health of Manu Ginobili (affirmed by his streaking dunk to close out the first half against Philadelphia on Sunday), and the Spurs have to be in the championship conversation. Even as Popovich goes 10-deep in his rotations and gives Tony Parker, Ginobili and Duncan a game off each on successive nights (all Spurs victories), the defense has recently begun to rival the fourth-ranked offense as a team strength. In their last three games, against Dallas, New Orleans and Philadelphia, the Spurs allowed just 33.6 percent shooting in the second half and 27.6 percent in the fourth quarter.

Fox Sports 3/27

Rank 3 Previous 4

Watch out if late additions of Stephen Jackson and Boris Diaw provide veteran lift off bench Spurs could use

MB3//
03-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Again, huge props to the front office. No way I thought we'd be top 3 across the board when the season started.

Hooks
03-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Nobody wants to put the Spurs over the thunder even though they beat them lmfao.

Juggity
03-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Nobody wants to put the Spurs over the thunder even though they beat them lmfao.

Thunder's record is still superior and their momentum is mostly intact this week. We're just a bad matchup for them.

sananspursfan21
03-27-2012, 09:48 PM
And sa is the best 3 point shooting team in the league :P

Spur|n|Austin
03-27-2012, 11:22 PM
Thought I would muster the established tallys. I hope I'm wrong but this may be the highest we get this season.

I always get a kick out of these. If for nothing else, they give us some notion on what the national media thinks about the SAS. These are from today and yesterday with the comments.

ESPN 3/26

Rank 3 Previous 3
I admit it: I thought this was the season that the Spurs, with such limited flexibility to change their team, could finally be written off. So naturally they've managed to strengthen a supporting cast that was already underrated by importing Jack, Diaw and Patty Mills ... moves that even have Tim Duncan talking big.

CBS 3/27

Rank 3 Previous 4

In the playoffs you win for one of two reasons -- superior talent or matchups. The only team in the West the Spurs can't out-talent is Oklahoma City, who they have matchup advantages against. Keep it in mind, as long as their defense keeps improving.

NBC 3/26

Rank 3 Previous 3

Three games in three nights and the Spurs sweep them all, including wins over Dallas and Philadelphia. Not bad at all. If Manu Ginobili is healthy these Spurs can make it all the way to the Western Conference finals (remember they were without him in loss to Grizzlies last season). And the Spurs are a matchup problem for Thunder.

NBA.com 3/26

Rank 3 Previous 4

The Spurs have held four straight opponents under a point per possession for the first time this season. And they've done it playing a back-to-back-to-back over the weekend. We'll see if their defense has turned a corner on Tuesday, when they visit the Suns, who've been the fourth-best offensive team since the break.

Sports Illustrated 3/26

Rank 3 Previous 4

The Spurs' long history of "playing the right way" in the Gregg Popovich-Tim Duncan era is enormously beneficial when adding pieces for a stretch run. Stephen Jackson and Boris Diaw arrive with a history of temperamental narcissism (Jackson) and questionable conditioning and effort (Diaw), but who doesn't expect them to be motivated and on their best behavior in San Antonio? Throw in the return to health of Manu Ginobili (affirmed by his streaking dunk to close out the first half against Philadelphia on Sunday), and the Spurs have to be in the championship conversation. Even as Popovich goes 10-deep in his rotations and gives Tony Parker, Ginobili and Duncan a game off each on successive nights (all Spurs victories), the defense has recently begun to rival the fourth-ranked offense as a team strength. In their last three games, against Dallas, New Orleans and Philadelphia, the Spurs allowed just 33.6 percent shooting in the second half and 27.6 percent in the fourth quarter.

Fox Sports 3/27

Rank 3 Previous 4

Watch out if late additions of Stephen Jackson and Boris Diaw provide veteran lift off bench Spurs could use

Nice compilation! Thanks!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-28-2012, 12:07 AM
...the Spurs allowed just 33.6 percent shooting in the second half and 27.6 percent in the fourth quarter.

And we shut the Suns down in the 4th today. This is a pattern from our championship years - we keep the game close with minimal effort for three quarters, then shut them down in the fourth.

I like the way this trend is headed. ;)

SA210
03-28-2012, 01:40 AM
And sa is the best 3 point shooting team in the league :P

I hope this doesnt come back to bite us in the ass come postseason.

100%duncan
03-28-2012, 04:10 AM
I don't care what these idiots say. Drive for :lobt2: baby

manufan10
03-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Does anyone know how Hollinger comes up with his Power Rankings?

I don't see how this ranking makes sense:

http://i44.tinypic.com/33urc43.jpg

Especially because the Spurs have beaten them twice this year, and as recently as Sunday.

Link (http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings)

bigfan
03-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Power ranking is just tea leaves; what matters is making the playoffs and beating the crap out of the opposition.

TimmehC
03-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Does anyone know how Hollinger comes up with his Power Rankings?

I don't see how this ranking makes sense:

http://i44.tinypic.com/33urc43.jpg

Especially because the Spurs have beaten them twice this year, and as recently as Sunday.

Link (http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings)

Margin of victory. But, Philly gets to play Charlotte 4 times a season.

will_spurs
03-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Fox Sports

This sentence has been written by a professional writer? Ouch.

biba
03-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Ducks' fan?

therealtruth
03-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Margin of victory. But, Philly gets to play Charlotte 4 times a season.

Margin of victory is actually a pretty good indicator of who will win it all.