PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Kings - Mar. 28

timvp
03-29-2012, 12:05 PM
With a 117-112 victory over the Kings on Wednesday night, the Spurs put the finishing touches on an impressive sweep of a stretch that saw San Antonio play six games in eight nights. While it wasn't pretty, especially on the defensive end, the overall effort by this squad was so commendable that I really can't complain.

While the Kings never led in the game, the score was close virtually the entire night. After Isaiah Thomas hit a three-pointer to cut San Antonio's lead to one-point with 7:05 remaining in the game, the Spurs went on a 10-4 run over the next three minutes to finally get some separation. That run included two points and two assists from Tony Parker and two hoops by Tim Duncan.

This current six-game winning streak has the Spurs 2.5 games behind the Thunder for first place in the Western Conference. And suddenly, the Spurs are only 4.5 games behind the Bulls for the best record in the NBA.

There's still a long ways to go but the Spurs are starting to look deep and quite dangerous. At the very least, it's fun to be a Spurs fan right now.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/2z4we92.jpg

http://oi41.tinypic.com/25hl2rq.jpg

Tim Duncan A-
Considering that Tim Duncan has struggled to produce in back-to-back games this season, his performance against the Kings was better than expected. Defensively, he took on DeMarcus Cousins and did a really good job. He forced the burly headcase into a number of missed shots and turnovers, while offering adequate help elsewhere on the court. Offensively, I thought he got better and better as the game progressed. At first, Duncan wasn't moving very well but by the end of the night, he was a machine -- both scoring and passing the ball. All in all, Duncan had a much more well-rounded outing than he had against the Suns and he was arguably the main reason why the Spurs were able to pull out this victory.

Manu Ginobili B+
Playing in his first back-to-back since Feb. 15, Manu Ginobili looked strong. Perhaps the highlight of the entire game was the fact that Ginobili was able to finish off the Kings with a pair of high pick-and-rolls in which he just shredded Sacramento's defense. Seeing him have that much energy late in the game tells me Ginobili is starting to feel healthy. Offensively, he was a little bit loose with the ball but more than made up for it with precision shooting and great playmaking. As I've said a lot lately, Ginobili's feel for the game on offense is as good as I have ever seen it. Defensively, he wasn't as lively as he was against the Suns but he wasn't a liability.

Tony Parker B-
Tony Parker was playing in his fourth game in five nights and it was obvious he didn't have his legs. Defensively, he wasn't doing anything to thwart rookie Isaiah Thomas. Parker wasn't completely horrible on that end but he definitely was just going through the motions. On offense, it was difficult for him to get to the basket and he had to resort to passing from the perimeter more than usual. Thankfully, Parker found a way to make some plays and finished with double-digits in assists for the 11th time this season. Though he didn't play very well, I thought Parker's performance was gritty considering the circumstances.

Kawhi Leonard A-
I don't even know what to write about Kawhi Leonard anymore. I've run out of superlatives. The fascinating aspect of Leonard's play right now is he's making it look so easy. During the winning streak, he's averaging 13.3 points and 8.3 rebounds in while shooting 55.9% from the floor, 42.9% on three-pointers and 88.9% at the line. I love that he has been extra aggressive in recent games. Sure, he'll make more mistakes playing that way, but it's also the only way he'll continue to grow as a player. Against the Kings, Leonard's defense was also very solid. His main opponent was Tyreke Evans and he shut him down.

DeJuan Blair B
Give credit to DeJuan Blair for playing hard during each of these six games. The execution was rarely perfect but it wasn't for a lack of effort. Offensively against the Kings, Blair was above average. His passing was excellent and he played a cleaner than usual game on that end. Defensively, Blair wasn't much of a factor. And honestly, for him that's a good thing. When Blair can blend into the background on defense and avoid standing out as a huge liability, that's a good thing.

Danny Green C
Coming into the game, Danny Green said his legs were tired. After watching him play, I believe him. He wasn't moving very well on the defensive end, didn't help out on the boards and was far from a disruptive force. Offensively, Green hit enough shots to help out but he wasn't creating anything extra. Even though his lack of vigor was understandable, this is another example of Green not helping his cause if he wants to remain the full-time starter.

Stephen Jackson B+
After his trade to San Antonio, Stephen Jackson told anyone who would listen that he just wants to win. Wednesday night proved that he wasn't lying. Jackson played a very smart game in all aspects. Defensively, while he gave up a few penetrations, he was usually quite good on that end. On offense, Jackson took what the defense gave him and didn't force anything. One missed shot and zero turnovers in 28 minutes of play? That's stunning efficiency for a player who has never been known to think twice.

Boris Diaw B-
This was the first time that Boris Diaw struggled on the defensive end while in a Spurs uniform. He was giving it his all but he was caught out of position a few times. A couple other times Diaw simply rotated to the wrong player, which is obviously something that he will eventually learn to correct. Offensively, even though Diaw didn't hit a shot, he was still an asset. His passing continues to be a beautiful fit in San Antonio's offense.

Gary Neal C+
Gary Neal visited both extremes while in Sacramento. At first, Neal was terrible. He couldn't dribble. He couldn't shoot. He shot selection was bad. His defense was putrid. But then Neal hit a difficult floater at the end of the third quarter ... and that ignited him. Over the course of one minute early in the fourth, Neal poured in seven points. Once his jumper started to fall, his defense improved and he seemed to get more comfortable in his skin. I'm not sure if his struggles are related to his injury, the footsteps he's hearing from Patty Mills or if it's simply just a random slump.

Tiago Splitter C
It was good to see Tiago Splitter back on the court after missing four games due to back spasms. Though his effort was laudable throughout, Splitter just didn't play up to his standards. Defensively, he got pushed around a lot and didn't do a good job protecting the rim. Offensively, he missed some shots he usually makes and his rolls to the basket weren't nearly as brisk as usual. Physically, Splitter looked stiff and he exhausted quickly. Let's hope he can quickly work himself back into shape and that his back will completely heal before the playoffs.

Patty Mills B+
Following Neal's disastrous first stint as backup point guard, Pop switched to Patty Mills in the second quarter. Mills didn't disappoint. He has never been afraid to shoot and his first shot as a Spur resulted in a made three-point field goal. He followed that up with a long two-pointer and a layup -- all in a span of three and a half minutes. So far, Mills is as quick as advertised and his outside jumper looks very smooth. Even though he's short, he has a quick release so he should be able to get it off consistently. And while I haven't seen any ball-handling issues, Mills' court vision does appear to be limited. All told, I'm happy with what I've seen out of him.

Pop A+
Five wins in six nights. Six wins in eight nights. That's all that can be said about Pop right now. In each game, he had a different set of players available to play. (Even against the Kings, the coaching staff had predetermined that Matt Bonner wasn't going to play more than a couple minutes.) Pop made it look easy but to work in three new players while the pieces to the puzzle constantly changed required quite a bit of high-level coaching. I thought he made a mistake by going back to Neal in the second half, yet Pop was absolutely right. Plus, I loved the closing quintet of Duncan, Leonard, Jackson, Ginobili and Parker. I hope we see a lot more of that.

bugmenot
03-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Finally you faggot

Splits
03-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Tim Duncan A-
Considering that Tim Duncan has struggled to produce in back-to-back games this season, his performance against the Kings was better than expected. Defensively, he took on DeMarcus Cousins and did a really good job. He forced the burly headcase into a number of missed shots and turnovers, while offering adequate help elsewhere on the court. Offensively, I thought he got better and better as the game progressed. At first, Duncan wasn't moving very well but by the end of the night, he was a machine -- both scoring and passing the ball. All in all, Duncan had a much more well-rounded outing than he had against the Suns and he was arguably the main reason why the Spurs were able to pull out this victory.

Solid grades.

Duncan got so far into Cousins' head it wasn't even funny. The shove to the chest as he was running the court on the break for a dunk was the barn burner, Cousins couldn't think straight after that.

Ditty
03-29-2012, 12:11 PM
I hope Mills turns into the Spurs JJ Barrea just someone speedy who can give you points in different ways, and tough defense.

Blake
03-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Matt: 0 minutes........+3

the King!

Ginobleed20
03-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks timvp!

And I agree, watching that closing lineup execute was beautiful.

A huge improvement of Parker, Hill, Ginobili, Jefferson, Duncan to say the least. Much better defensively and especially in the rebounding department.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-29-2012, 12:19 PM
I don't trust patty's quick trigger finger. Didn't like any of those shots he took. This team has enough guys to pour in points now

T Park
03-29-2012, 12:23 PM
I don't trust patty's quick trigger finger. Didn't like any of those shots he took. This team has enough guys to pour in points now

Disagree. Rewatched the game this morning and all shots he took were open.

If your open you shoot.

jjktkk
03-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the grades and writeup Tim. :tu

Old School 44
03-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the grades.
Nice to see Matty getting some rest.
And you're right, what else can you say about Leonard. Just awesome!

I don't know what it is, but diminutive guards always seem to go off on us.
Thomas last night, Nate Robinson, JJ Barea and my all-time favorite pest Earl Boykins.

loveforthegame
03-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Mills is quick. He's sorta spastic but in a good way. He was the only one who was sticking with Thomas too. His shot looks sweet.

Diaw's passing is even more beautiful in person. A few times I thought he dribbled into trouble and the next thing I knew the ball was with someone else and they were scoring. Looked lost a couple times but he's very crafty.

Kings fans have been paying attention to Leonard. Those around me kept groaning when he'd do anything. Open shot: groan. Steal: groan. Defend Evans: groan. He makes it look so easy.

Ginobli looked fluid and his vintage self with attacks to the basket. Please stay healthy for the playoffs.

Jackson is aware of everything that's going on and was constantly calling out defensive assignments. He didn't rush anything and just played a very smart game.

Splitter looked tired but that's to be expected. Had some nice moves but trouble finishing. Very active and showed no signs of any back trouble.

I was so happy to see Neal have that little burst of offense. Hope that gets him going.

Not a bad thing to say about Duncan. It's always a pleasure to watch him play.

Paranoid Pop
03-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks a lot, can't really take much from that game given the schedule aside maybe from Kahwi shooting the 3 ball better than anyone could have expected.

That said the burning question right now imo is : can Diaw get enough corporate knowledge in the short practice time coming up to move up to starting PF or at least 2nd and closing PF.

Hollinger thinks that Diaw was strictly signed as an insurance / 5th big.

Do we have a repeat of last year and Blair benched for a veteran (Duncan Diaw) or does Pop go twin tower (Duncan Splitter, sounds really unlikely against anyone but LAL and MEM maybe) or do we roll with Duncan Blair like kamikazes.

If Diaw starts, do we have enough playmaking in the first unit to have Manu come off the bench so that there's always either TP or Manu on the court?

Dr Cox
03-29-2012, 12:32 PM
I am going to say it....I love Leonard!

Robz4000
03-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Good grades. Also, lol @ Bonner's +3. He plays not even a minute but still manages to get his positive +/-.

Horse
03-29-2012, 12:48 PM
:flag:Like you guys I'm amazed at leonard, I loved george hill but I see why we made the trade. Manu and Diaw passing is just incredible. The depth is crazy. Sky's the limit!

Darkwaters
03-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Finally you faggot

wtf?

Solid D
03-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Kawhi Leonard A-
I don't even know what to write about Kawhi Leonard anymore. I've run out of superlatives. The fascinating aspect of Leonard's play right now is he's making it look so easy. During the winning streak, he's averaging 13.3 points and 8.3 rebounds in while shooting 55.9% from the floor, 42.9% on three-pointers and 88.9% at the line. I love that he has been extra aggressive in recent games. Sure, he'll make more mistakes playing that way, but it's also the only way he'll continue to grow as a player. Against the Kings, Leonard's defense was also very solid. His main opponent was Tyreke Evans and he shut him down.

'Well said, timvp. It won't be long before Kawhi reaches "essential" status. He's already replacing RJ's minutes....so the next stage for him is having people notice when he is goes to the bench to rest for a few minutes.

freetiago
03-29-2012, 01:12 PM
players going under screens led to another scrub getting his career night
pop cant ever get an A as long as he keeps allowing this

spurs will either play martin/lowry or lawson/afflalo in the first round if they hold onto 2nd seed
mostly quick guards who get to the basket
if spurs let them get hot from midrange well be seeing a first round exit again

Blake
03-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Good grades. Also, lol @ Bonner's +3. He plays not even a minute but still manages to get his positive +/-.

James Anderson: 0 minutes - (-5).

Bonner owns the plus sign. Everyone else just rents it.

Maddog
03-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Kings fans have been paying attention to Leonard. Those around me kept groaning when he'd do anything. Open shot: groan. Steal: groan. Defend Evans: groan. He makes it look so easy.

Considering they have Jimmer taken at 10 and Leonard was taken at 15
(I know acquiring Jimmer was part of a multiple team deal and unloading Beno, but still they could have had Leonard, Biyombo...)

Das Texan
03-29-2012, 01:17 PM
I had forgotten whom Patty Mills was and where I had really seen him. Then I realized he had played on that really good Saint Mary's team a few years ago.

I like what he might be able to do for us. Looks like a real steal for the Spurs front office and hopefully go about furthering our depth at that combo PG/SG role and fill a similar role to that held by George Hill at some point (probably next year). Though Mills might be a little better at running the show and not as good at the SG spot. Time will tell.

For less than a million, well worth the gamble.

Stalin
03-29-2012, 01:18 PM
nice writeup

will_spurs
03-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Matt: 0 minutes........+3

the King!

:lmao

mexpurs21
03-29-2012, 01:29 PM
I hope Mills turns into the Spurs JJ Barrea just someone speedy who can give you points in different ways, and tough defense.

That's exactly what I was thinking after watching Mills defend Nash for a couple of minutes, he just won't give up on defense, he's a pest full-court pressing opposing PGs and making them work harder to get to their sweet spots.

spurs10
03-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Great write up! Thanks! I believe I'm paraphrasing you when I say, 'it's a great time to be a Spurs fan!'

sananspursfan21
03-29-2012, 01:38 PM

spurs will either play martin/lowry or lawson/afflalo in the first round if they hold onto 2nd seed

Shut up and enjoy the victory. Sa has proven they can play defense, but they are human and tired. You try doing what they did and playing 05 detroit basketball

lefty
03-29-2012, 01:44 PM
I knew Kawhi would be a nice addition, but I didnt think he was gonna be this good, and this early

Damn.

Darkwaters
03-29-2012, 01:47 PM
timvp,

A while ago I remember conversations about how badly Leonard bogged down the offense. Sure, his defense was great, but his offense was putrid.

Since then his numbers have gotten much better and hes scoring consistently. Does his rise in personal scoring correspond to a team-wide improvement while hes on the court also?

foodie2
03-29-2012, 01:50 PM

But without Barrea's assholery.

The ADMIRAL 50
03-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Pop A+
Five wins in six nights. Six wins in eight nights. That's all that can be said about Pop right now. In each game, he had a different set of players available to play. (Even against the Kings, the coaching staff had predetermined that Matt Bonner wasn't going to play more than a couple minutes.) Pop made it look easy but to work in three new players while the pieces to the puzzle constantly changed required quite a bit of high-level coaching. I thought he made a mistake by going back to Neal in the second half, yet Pop was absolutely right. Plus, I loved the closing quintet of Duncan, Leonard, Jackson, Ginobili and Parker. I hope we see a lot more of that.

Man did I ever get pumped watching that line up out there. LOVE IT. The comment I made to my buddies too was, how jacked can Kawhi be (internally, of course) to be out there in crunch time with those four players? As a rookie to be shown that sort of trust and continue to deliver...damn I'm just so in love with this kid. (requisite internet forum disclaimer: no homo).

Patty Mills B+
Following Neal's disastrous first stint as backup point guard, Pop switched to Patty Mills in the second quarter. Mills didn't disappoint. He has never been afraid to shoot and his first shot as a Spur resulted in a made three-point field goal. He followed that up with a long two-pointer and a layup -- all in a span of three and a half minutes. So far, Mills is as quick as advertised and his outside jumper looks very smooth. Even though he's short, he has a quick release so he should be able to get it off consistently. And while I haven't seen any ball-handling issues, Mills' court vision does appear to be limited. All told, I'm happy with what I've seen out of him.

Mills is quick. He's sorta spastic but in a good way. He was the only one who was sticking with Thomas too. His shot looks sweet.

TIMVP - I was surprised you gave Patty such a high grade and failed to say anything about his defense
loveforthegame - I felt the opposite about him defensively.

I like what I have seen from Patty so far, and last night he looked very solid offensively, but I must have been watching a different game when it comes to his on the ball defense. The second round rook Thomas (which is an unfair, though honest, description tbh) was beating Mills to the rim EVERY TIME. Mills made one nice play where after having been beat he poked the ball out and it went out off of Thomas' leg, but otherwise he was getting torn up. Even on that play he let him get all the way to the rim. Mills was very active and was playing hard on that end, but I saw Thomas get around him multiple times. It was almost as though Mills was too jacked up: simple crossovers were all that was needed to get him out of position, he seemed to over react to Thomas' every move. He really struggled getting around picks as well.

All in all I like the Mills addition already. Last night was a very small sample size, and Thomas, like Mills, is a very quick player, but if his on the ball defense continues to be as bad as it was last night I dont see him getting any playoff minutes from Pop. Definitely something I'll be keeping an eye on going forward, I already am pulling for this guy to succeed so I'll definitely give him the chance to at least get settled.

roycrikside
03-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Obviously the defense was poor, but there were so many positives in this game compared to the negatives, only an idiot would complain about it.

1. Splitter came back.
2. Manu played a back-to-back and not only survived it but was at his best in the 4th.
3. Mills got some run and wasn't tentative (though I wish he passed more).
4. Neal broke out of his slump in the 4th.
5. A monster game for Kawhi, at both ends, against rookie drafted ahead of him.
6. Tim holding his own and then some against Cousins, who's been beasting.
7. Parker showing his court vision has developed to the point where he's not just a drive-and-kick point guard.
8. Everyone coming out of the game healthy.
9. 6th straight win, sweeping 6 games in 8 nights.
10. No such thing as a bad road win.

MmP
03-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Duncan had a couple of lapses that were head shaking on defense, i wouldn't give him an A at all

Morg1411
03-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Obviously the defense was poor, but there were so many positives in this game compared to the negatives, only an idiot would complain about it.

1. Splitter came back.
2. Manu played a back-to-back and not only survived it but was at his best in the 4th.
3. Mills got some run and wasn't tentative (though I wish he passed more).
4. Neal broke out of his slump in the 4th.
5. A monster game for Kawhi, at both ends, against rookie drafted ahead of him.
6. Tim holding his own and then some against Cousins, who's been beasting.
7. Parker showing his court vision has developed to the point where he's not just a drive-and-kick point guard.
8. Everyone coming out of the game healthy.
9. 6th straight win, sweeping 6 games in 8 nights.
10. No such thing as a bad road win.

This x1000

Fantastic win. I wasn't sold on Leonard early in the season, but the kid is turning into a bonafide badass. And it was terrific watching Tim's showdown with Cousins.

Spurs Brazil
03-29-2012, 02:34 PM
I love to see Leonard play. The kid gets better every game. He does a little of everything and plays with great energy.

Huge props to Spurs Front Office. First they trade for Leonard and that's a HUGE steal. And then traded Jefferson to open more minutes to him. This kid is special

skin
03-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Solid grades as usual. Thanks!

doldrums
03-29-2012, 03:10 PM

Lowry is out for the year with a bacterial infection

letmk
03-29-2012, 03:36 PM
I don't think Mills defense against Thomas is any worse than Tony's. Granted, not any better either. Thomas is just having a career night.

Like Shannon Brown the other night, I don't blame it totally on Green. It's relevant to our defense, but it's also closely related to the player's shooting touch.

On the contrary, our defense has no answer for Nash's PnR or last night's Jason Thompson or Cousins' low post move, that's a much bigger problem which might doom us while facing Thunder or Lakers.

G-Nob
03-29-2012, 03:36 PM
finally you faggot

+1

Obstructed_View
03-29-2012, 04:58 PM
wtf?

Popsucker I assume.

Blake
03-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Popsucker I assume.

Wtf?

TDMVPDPOY
03-29-2012, 05:07 PM
whats teh difference of not being afraid to shoot, a chucker...whether its contested or uncontested shots?

DAF86
03-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Duncan A-? to me he looked too bad on defense to deserve that grade. Maybe I should watch the game again but to me it looked like everytime a player went at him (not only Cousins) that player scored.

Chomag
03-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Bonner had 0 stats and 0 minutes yet still got a +3 for +/-

My god, how does that man do it! :lol

rasho8
03-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Finally you faggot

Shut the fuck up you gray name piece of shit.:nope

Now go kill yourself.

ManuTastic
03-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Finally you faggot

Nice gratitude, buttmunch.

timvp
03-29-2012, 08:26 PM
timvp,

A while ago I remember conversations about how badly Leonard bogged down the offense. Sure, his defense was great, but his offense was putrid.

Since then his numbers have gotten much better and hes scoring consistently. Does his rise in personal scoring correspond to a team-wide improvement while hes on the court also?
Good question and the good news is that Leonard no longer bogs down the offense.

In the first 23 games of the season, the Spurs averaged only 100.8 points per 100 possessions that Leonard was on the court -- which was the lowest mark on the entire team.

Since then, the Spurs are averaging 112.6 points per 100 possessions that Leonard is on the court. Only Ginobili, Splitter and Bonner have better marks.

Fantastic in-season improvement for a rookie :tu

timvp
03-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Duncan A-? to me he looked too bad on defense to deserve that grade. Maybe I should watch the game again but to me it looked like everytime a player went at him (not only Cousins) that player scored.

Almost all of Duncan's defensive work came against DeMarcus Cousins.

When Duncan was out of the game, Cousins was 4-for-6 from the field and 3-for-4 at the line.

When Duncan was in the game, Cousins was 7-for-18 from the field, didn't get to the line and had four of his five turnovers.

Damn, Duncan was even more dominant than I thought against Cousins. :wow

timvp
03-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Mills was very active and was playing hard on that end, but I saw Thomas get around him multiple times. It was almost as though Mills was too jacked up: simple crossovers were all that was needed to get him out of position, he seemed to over react to Thomas' every move. He really struggled getting around picks as well.

Good observations :tu

Mills wasn't good defensively last night and I probably should have mentioned that. However, I have very low expectations for him on the defensive end. He was horrible defensively while with the Blazers and it'll probably stay that way for the time being. Like you said, Mills was extra jumpy on defense from being fired up so I didn't really take anything away from his performance last night on that end.

The bad part of the Mills signing is he is one of the few guards in the league who are worse than Neal on defense. Let's hope that changes once he settles down and the coaches work with him a bit ... but I think his ceiling is low on that end.

DAF86
03-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Almost all of Duncan's defensive work came against DeMarcus Cousins.

When Duncan was out of the game, Cousins was 4-for-6 from the field and 3-for-4 at the line.

When Duncan was in the game, Cousins was 7-for-18 from the field, didn't get to the line and had four of his five turnovers.

Damn, Duncan was even more dominant than I thought against Cousins. :wow

I remember Cousins missed a lot of open jumpers from the top of the key when guarded by Duncan but when he went at Tim he scored.

Either way, I was talking about when Kings guards attacked the rim and Duncan was waiting there or in pick and roll situations. I remember getting frustrated at some offensive boards he allowed to the Kings too.

timvp
03-29-2012, 09:03 PM
^Cousins missed a number of shots in the paint against Duncan. And while he wasn't great defensively, he was pretty darn good compared to everyone else.

The Kings scored 97 points per 48 minutes while Duncan was on the court and 135 points per 48 minutes while Duncan was on the bench. Comparatively, Duncan was Bill Russell last night, tbh.

100%duncan
03-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Great write up Timvp.

DAF86
03-29-2012, 09:09 PM
^Cousins missed a number of shots in the paint against Duncan. And while he wasn't great defensively, he was pretty darn good compared to everyone else.

The Kings scored 97 points per 48 minutes while Duncan was on the court and 135 points per 48 minutes while Duncan was on the bench. Comparatively, Duncan was Bill Russell last night, tbh.

I guess it was just a missperception. It just didn't feel like an "A-" game from Duncan to me, specially on the defensive end.

I should watch the game again but I can't, speaking of which, you know what a great addition to this board could be? a place or thread to upload all the Spurs games. I don't know if that can be made but it would be awesome.

rjv
03-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Agree on that closing five. that's a solid five

Borosai
03-30-2012, 12:12 AM
Bonner is like a generous, oversized leprechaun with a giant pot of plus-minus, which he shares with -- and takes back from -- his teammates.

In the end, it's his pot.

loveforthegame
03-30-2012, 12:52 AM
loveforthegame - I felt the opposite about him defensively.

I didn't mean to make it sound like he's a good defender. He's not but he just has this energy, this constant movement that works. It's almost distracting but if he can use it to his advantage maybe that will be enough.

The ADMIRAL 50
03-30-2012, 02:10 AM
Good question and the good news is that Leonard no longer bogs down the offense.

In the first 23 games of the season, the Spurs averaged only 100.8 points per 100 possessions that Leonard was on the court -- which was the lowest mark on the entire team.

Since then, the Spurs are averaging 112.6 points per 100 possessions that Leonard is on the court. Only Ginobili, Splitter and Bonner have better marks.

Fantastic in-season improvement for a rookie :tu
Thanks for the quick reply to Darkwaters' great question;reading his post definitely piqued my interest as well.

I simply cannot be more of a fan of Kawhi right now. All season long he has found a way to help the team and the rate at which he just keeps getting better and better blows my mind. He's so level headed about it all too, its almost as if its certainly no surprise to him at all that he's succeeding so significantly. It really is scary to think about the type of player we may be in store for, but damn is it nice to have the Kawhi of here and now on this squad.

Good observations :tu

Mills wasn't good defensively last night and I probably should have mentioned that. However, I have very low expectations for him on the defensive end. He was horrible defensively while with the Blazers and it'll probably stay that way for the time being. Like you said, Mills was extra jumpy on defense from being fired up so I didn't really take anything away from his performance last night on that end.

The bad part of the Mills signing is he is one of the few guards in the league who are worse than Neal on defense. Let's hope that changes once he settles down and the coaches work with him a bit ... but I think his ceiling is low on that end.

:toast
thanks for the insight as to Mills' defensive potential. I haven't had a chance to see him much in the League, so its good to have a basis in mind in regards to what to expect. Honestly last night it was almost as if he was working on a blank slate for me, and thus the porous D really stood out. That said I didn't expect Mills to come in and be a stopper; I expected him to be a spark. From what I have seen so far it looks like Patty can thrive in that role if managed correctly.

The ADMIRAL 50
03-30-2012, 02:12 AM
I didn't mean to make it sound like he's a good defender. He's not but he just has this energy, this constant movement that works. It's almost distracting but if he can use it to his advantage maybe that will be enough.

yea I definitely agree on that much; Patty brings energy on both ends.
Whatever defensive deficiencies I noticed certainly weren't due to a lack of effort.