PDA

View Full Version : Praise from cooky old Hollinger!

Ginobleed20
03-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Aaron (Texas)

Am I crazy to think the Spurs are the favorites in the West? OKC has only beat the Spurs twice in three years!

John Hollinger (12:14 PM)

No, you are not crazy. They're second in the West while getting virtually nothing from Manu, and they've managed the season much better than any other team in terms of fatigue.

He also said that he'd be surprised if Diaw played more than ten minutes a game in the playoffs.

thoughts?

Dr Cox
03-29-2012, 12:17 PM
I know our thoughts on Hollinger but here you go....

Aaron (Texas)

Am I crazy to think the Spurs are the favorites in the West? OKC has only beat the Spurs twice in three years!

John Hollinger (12:14 PM)

No, you are not crazy. They're second in the West while getting virtually nothing from Manu, and they've managed the season much better than any other team in terms of fatigue.

------
Jackson (IA)

True or false...if Kobe had the same mentality as Tim Duncan, the lakers would have as good a shot as anyone to win the title this year.

John Hollinger (12:22 PM)

False. Kobe's mentality can't make Metta World Peace into a decent starter.

-----
Taylor h (Lbk)

What do you think about the signing of Diaw? A great passing big is always good in SA.

John Hollinger (12:28 PM)

Fifth big man if everyone's healthy, basically just insurance against injury and an option as a 4 against smallball lineups. Be surprised if he plays more than 10 minutes a game in postseason.
------

Taylor (LBK TX )

Do you like Patty Mills as backup PG in SA? Dare I say better than TJ Ford was? Gary Neal?

John Hollinger (12:31 PM)

Not as much as I like Manu Ginobili as their backup PG. San Antonio's moves this week: Diaw, Jack, Mills -- were all about covering their bases at the back end of the rotation. Mills gives them another option as a quick PG who can shoot, but his real value is in case of injury. If everyone's healthy he'll play 5-10 minutes at most.
--------

D Simon (Bucktown)

I realize that coaches never win back-to-back COY awards, but should Thibs be the exception? What other coach has navigated this condensed season better? Who has won more with less? So many injuries (Rose, Deng, Hamilton, Watson) yet they still cruise along with the best record in the NBA. Some could argue Pops, but I don't think he's done a better job than Thibs. Thoughts?

John Hollinger (12:50 PM)

I'm in the Popovich camp, but I was blown away last night by what a well-oiled butt-kicking machine the Bulls have become under Thibodeau. Let me put it this way: They should be in the top two on every ballot.

timvp
03-29-2012, 12:25 PM
I'm not ready to say the Spurs are the favorites in the West. Nobody could honestly say that since we haven't even seen what type of rotation Pop will use. That said, I feel much, much better about this team after getting rid of RJ and adding Jack, Diaw and Mills.

As far as Hollinger not thinking Diaw will play in the playoffs, there's a simple explanation: Hollinger only looks at PER. In his mind, there's no way Diaw (PER of ~10 this season) will deserve minutes over Duncan (21.5), Splitter (19.1), Blair (17.1) or Bonner (14.2). Little does Hollinger know that Blair is a horrible defender and Bonner's history in pressure situations would make Nick Anderson blush.

T Park
03-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Lol @ Diaw being behind Blair and Bonner in the rotation. He's already passed them.

Horse
03-29-2012, 12:34 PM
He has been fantastic I never knew what a good passer he was. He can do it all he buys in and I would'nt be surprised if he even started some in the playoffs. He can be a matchup nightmare.

cd98
03-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Lol @ Diaw being behind Blair and Bonner in the rotation. He's already passed them.

Only in the short term, which makes sense. He is new on the team, so Pop is probably giving him more minutes to see what he can do. As Blair and Bonner have been here a long time, they know the system and he knows what they can do in the system. Right now his priority is seeing what he has in Diaw.

It's not outlandish to think he will use Diaw for more than 5 to 10 minutes in the playoffs, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Blair and Bonner getting significant time unless they are playing poorly at that time.

hater
03-29-2012, 01:15 PM
nobody is favorite in the West. To say any team is would just be blowing out hot air.

hater
03-29-2012, 01:16 PM

jury still out on this.

if Diaw keeps throwing shoes at the rim instead of shots he might just end up at the end of the rotation