PDA

View Full Version : Impressive Stat: Spurs Foul the LEAST in all the NBA

timtonymanurich
03-29-2012, 02:01 PM
The Spurs are on the verge of some unique NBA history, if they can maintain their current pace in avoiding a disqualification by their players.

Coach Gregg Popovich’s team commits fewer fouls than any other team and hasn’t had a player foul out of a game all season long.

According to STATS LLC, no NBA team at least since 1950-51 — as far back as the stat is available — has made it through a full season without a player fouling out of a game.

Here are a few other notes that indicate the Spurs’ foul discipline,with how they rank in the league.

Personal Fouls/Gm - 17.2 fewest

Disqualifications - 0 fewest

Flagrant Fouls 1 tied for 5th fewest

Player Technical Fouls 7 2nd fewest (Cleveland with three leads the league)

Opp FT Attempts/Gm 18.4 fewest

Source: STATS LLC

:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:w ow:wow:wow

mando6599
03-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Very interesting, good find! THX!

Paranoid Pop
03-29-2012, 02:09 PM
It's useful against a team like OKC but it's not "impressive" imo since our D is not good.

We're also one of the worst Free throw shooting team, meaning other teams can foul more than us when we play them and get away with it.

EVAY
03-29-2012, 02:36 PM
I have wondered this year if this is some of why Pop sits Splitter so much. He gets called for a lot of fouls, and I think that Pop wants to go into the playoffs with the argument that he hasn't (nor has anyone else) fouled out all year. I think that helps with getting calls (or not getting called) in the playoffs. If a player has a reputation for fouling out, he's gonna get called a lot more, I think.

DJB
03-29-2012, 02:40 PM
I think that Pop wants to go into the playoffs with the argument that he hasn't (nor has anyone else) fouled out all year.

Yes, I'm sure this statistic is on Pop's mind. :rolleyes

Drewlius
03-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Can anyone find a stat that shows how the Spurs rank all time for player suspensions? I wonder if we have the least of any team ever.

roycrikside
03-29-2012, 02:48 PM
It's hard to foul when you allow wide open jump shots 50 times a game every night.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Interesting, and possibly linked to the Spurs great record when the enter the 4th with a lead. With the whistlehappy refs these days a lot of fourth quarter comebacks start at the stripe when a trailing team starts playing with some urgency and attacking the hoop.

TimmehC
03-29-2012, 02:51 PM
The Spurs are always among the teams who foul the least. Or at least the ones who allow the least free throws. Not surprising, given that they usually prefer BBIQ to athleticism or physicality.

Maddog
03-29-2012, 02:53 PM
The Spurs have historically been low on # of fouls
In 99 when the Spurs had a monster defense they where 4th in least # of fouls and 5th in least # of opponents FTA

ElNono
03-29-2012, 02:54 PM
I think Sean points this out almost every game...

therealtruth
03-29-2012, 03:47 PM
It's hard to foul when you allow wide open jump shots 50 times a game every night.

Yeah there's a balance between not fouling and more defensive pressure. It would seem the Spurs could afford to apply a little more defensive pressure.

DMC
03-29-2012, 03:55 PM
The Spurs problem, mostly, is that they are complacent against a lot of teams until someone puts a hard foul on one of them, then they perk up. I guess it can get a bit tedious at times, but the Spurs seem to just poke at the opponent with a stick for a couple of quarters before really going all out on them. TP seems the worst at the complacency that becomes fervor once he's leveled or a call is missed.

Blake
03-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Spurs right now are tied at #24 in blocked shots per game.

I'm thinking the Spurs simply don't have trees in the paint.

Limguogolo
03-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Who cares about the blocked shots. A tree? yes 2 points and a rub.

Blake
03-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Who cares about the blocked shots. A tree? yes 2 points and a rub.

I think there's a correlation. That's it. No rub.

sa_butta
03-29-2012, 05:05 PM
I think it also helps now that we have so many players available it would be hard to have even one foul out. For the most part the Vets are unlikely to get to that point and the role players will not play long enough to get to that point either. So with that in mind who will foul out against the Pacers Saturday??

EVAY
03-29-2012, 06:06 PM
Yes, I'm sure this statistic is on Pop's mind. :rolleyes

If you imagine that anything about the spurs team is unimportant to Popovich, or that accomplishments like the one being discussed here occur without emphasis and direction from Pop, you are really not paying much attention!

TD 21
03-29-2012, 06:35 PM
It's not the least bit surprising, as the Spurs annually either lead the league or come close; it's by design. You'd think every coach would want their team to foul as little as possible, but that's not always the case. Sloan was the exact opposite, he wanted the opposition to "feel them". But Pop has always stressed defending without fouling.

freetiago
03-29-2012, 10:11 PM
its because they just leave their hands in the air or let them have open lanes to the basket and move out of the way
the spurs top defensive teams in the early 2000s were always near the top in fouls commited

Mel_13
03-29-2012, 10:15 PM
its because they just leave their hands in the air or let them have open lanes to the basket and move out of the way
the spurs top defensive teams in the early 2000s were always near the top in fouls commited

No. In fact, the opposite is true.

Rapper
03-29-2012, 10:16 PM
It means we are gentlemen

100%duncan
03-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Are all of those from Blair?

Thompson
03-29-2012, 11:57 PM
I guess there's a chance SJax doesn't deck someone by season's end.