PDA

View Full Version : Diaw or Lorbek?

Snow
03-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Let's say this off-season our FO had to choose between re-signing Boris Diaw or bringing over Erazam Lorbek. Who would you choose? Who's the better fit? Better Defender?

Personally I really like Lorbek he seems like an offensively skilled 6-10 big man but his defense seems sketchy and he has no nba exp....

justinandimcool
03-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Would like to have both (Lorbek over Blair!), but if I had to choose I'd go with Diaw assuming they're the same price. Only 2 years older with 10x the NBA experience and already a perfect fit for the system/youth. Haven't seen Zam's defense though.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Diaw. We dont have time to acclimatize a Euro.

Spurtacus
03-29-2012, 09:03 PM
I'd take a 30 year old NBA vet over a 28 year old rookie Euro.

Mel_13
03-29-2012, 09:08 PM
Assuming that Diaw continues to help the Spurs down the stretch and contributes to a successful playoff run, then Diaw is the obvious choice.

Seventyniner
03-29-2012, 09:16 PM
If the Spurs could get both of them to split the MLE, would you be in favor of it? They'll probably want more money, but I think it's an interesting hypothetical question.

At that point, it would be worth trading Blair for a 1st rounder if the Spurs could get it.

Dex
03-29-2012, 09:17 PM
If the Spurs could get both of them to split the MLE, would you be in favor of it? They'll probably want more money, but I think it's an interesting hypothetical question.

At that point, it would be worth trading Blair for a 1st rounder if the Spurs could get it.

If they would be willing to do it, then yes, you do it in a heartbeat.

But they won't be willing to do it.

Mel_13
03-29-2012, 09:20 PM
If the Spurs could get both of them to split the MLE, would you be in favor of it?

Definitely, but that seems very unlikely.

I think Blair gets traded before the draft no matter what decision is made on Diaw/Lorbek. The George Hill plan.

justinandimcool
03-29-2012, 09:25 PM

trade up and get a Kawhi clone every year. :lobt2:

MR.SILVER&BLack
03-29-2012, 09:26 PM
If the Spurs can win it all this year, i can see them signing lorbek with a deal similar to Splitter's & resigning Diaw for 1 year with the remainder of the MLE. Dont see any reason for Diaw not to try and go for a 2nd ring.

Mel_13
03-29-2012, 09:28 PM
If the Spurs can win it all this year, i can see them signing lorbek with a deal similar to Splitter's & resigning Diaw for 1 year with the remainder of the MLE. Dont see any reason for Diaw not to try and go for a 2nd ring.

If Diaw plays well for the Spurs, there's no way he signs a contract that starts at 2M/yr.

DPG21920
03-29-2012, 09:30 PM
I also don't see Blair netting the Spurs a first rounder considering the cost of a late first was 12M.

intlspurshk
03-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Lorbek is a big man who can shoot 3 that could potentially replace Bonner. He should be priority

MR.SILVER&BLack
03-29-2012, 09:34 PM
If Diaw plays well for the Spurs, there's no way he signs a contract that starts at 2M/yr.
im thinking he might consider a 1 year deal only if spurs win the Title. Of Course RC & Pop could always wait to sign Lorbek until the 2013 offseason.

Mel_13
03-29-2012, 09:35 PM
I also don't see Blair netting the Spurs a first rounder considering the cost of a late first was 12M.

:lol

Think about it. The three recent acquisitions were players that formerly belonged to three of the most dysfunctional FOs in the NBA.

Mel_13
03-29-2012, 09:38 PM
im thinking he might consider a 1 year deal only if spurs win the Title. Of Course RC & Pop could always wait to sign Lorbek until the 2013 offseason.

Anything's possible, but he's a professional athlete who turns 30 next month. If his stock is high after this season, he'll cash in.

As to waiting for 2013 for Lorbek, I think he'll sign a multiyear contract this summer. Whether it's with the Spurs or a Euroleague team remains to be seen.

angelbelow
03-29-2012, 09:49 PM
I think going after Diaw would be the safer, and more likely option. A Bowen/Horry/Bonner deal is probably what it'll take (3-4 million per year) to secure Diaw. That won't leave enough for Lorbek based on the deals players similar to him cost (Gasol, Splitter etc.)

Lorbek coming to the NBA is not a sure thing, before he was traded to the Spurs he didn't even have any interest in coming at all. Rumors of him considering the Spurs will likely drive up his market value as well. Which makes acquiring both extremely unlikely. Plus there is the added risk of him not working out with our team.

With Diaw being the proven vet and the nice fit so far, I would play it safe and go after Diaw this offseason.

MR.SILVER&BLack
03-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Anything's possible, but he's a professional athlete who turns 30 next month. If his stock is high after this season, he'll cash in.

As to waiting for 2013 for Lorbek, I think he'll sign a multiyear contract this summer. Whether it's with the Spurs or a Euroleague team remains to be seen.
Do you think blair & Lorbeks draft rights could land a 1st round pick in the late teens to mid 20's?

Mel_13
03-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Do you think blair & Lorbeks draft rights could land a 1st round pick in the late teens to mid 20's?

If Lorbek isn't committed to come to the NBA this summer, his rights have no value.

No way to know about Blair. Just takes one GM to really want him. I do believe he'll be traded as the Spurs will not want to pay him in 2013. They'll trade the last cheap year of his initial contract for the best asset they can get in return.

Snow
03-29-2012, 10:13 PM
I really like the things Diaw brings that Bonner doesnt. While he's no where near as good a shooter he's more mobile defensively on screens, better passer, can create/pass in the post.

What exactly can Lorbek do that Bonner can't? Wouldn't having Lorbek/Bonner be a little redundant. Pop loves his stretch 4's though :hat

maverick1948
03-29-2012, 11:02 PM
If Lorbek isn't committed to come to the NBA this summer, his rights have no value.

No way to know about Blair. Just takes one GM to really want him. I do believe he'll be traded as the Spurs will not want to pay him in 2013. They'll trade the last cheap year of his initial contract for the best asset they can get in return.

I agree about Lorbek but Blair and Neal might net a pick somewhere between 10 and 20. Hill got us the 15, 42 and rights to Lorbek.

Spurs da champs
03-29-2012, 11:04 PM
I'm sick of these Euro bigs, Splitter has already shown me that they're just soft as fuck.

MR.SILVER&BLack
03-29-2012, 11:13 PM
I agree about Lorbek but Blair and Neal might net a pick somewhere between 10 and 20. Hill got us the 15, 42 and rights to Lorbek.
Deep draft this year. Doubt blair & neal net that good of a pick. Only reason pacers gave up so much last year was because they already had George & Granger and they needed a backup for Collison. Plus Hill was a proven 6th man.

timvp
03-29-2012, 11:26 PM
As of right this second, I'm actually higher on Lorbek. Higher ceiling and if you sign him to a multi-year deal, you don't have to worry about him eating himself out of the league during the summer. I love Diaw as a late season addition who is looking to up his value before he hits free agency but an under-contract Diaw has risk.

Diaw, though, will hopefully have have at least a couple months to prove how well he fits. If he keeps improving and becomes that poor-man's Horry that Pop has been searching for, it could come to the point that the Spurs have to take a gamble and try to keep Diaw no matter the cost.

Kurik
03-29-2012, 11:27 PM
If he plays well during the playoffs I'd go with Diaw, for some reason I'm just not crazy about Lorbek probably because I've never seen him play. :p

Darkwaters
03-29-2012, 11:37 PM

Indy was a motivated buyer that wanted to bring back the hometown kid (Geroge Hill). They'd been asking for him for a few years. The stars just finally aligned.

You seriously over-value Dejuan Blair. He'll net us a second rounder (maybe two if they're especially late picks). Nobody is going to give up a first for him.

Redshadows
03-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Both. And trade Blair a early second pick.

maverick1948
03-30-2012, 12:14 AM
:lol

Think about it. The three recent acquisitions were players that formerly belonged to three of the most dysfunctional FOs in the NBA.

Deep draft this year. Doubt blair & neal net that good of a pick. Only reason pacers gave up so much last year was because they already had George & Granger and they needed a backup for Collison. Plus Hill was a proven 6th man.

Mel got it right. Never know what some front office will do.

SenorSpur
03-30-2012, 12:18 AM
If Diaw continues to perform as well as he has for the duration of the season - and the playoffs - I'd prefer to see the Spurs re-up him.

I admit I don't know a thing about Lorbek. I'd just prefer the Spurs to hedge their bets on the "known" veteran player versus the unknown and unproven Euro, who has absolutely no NBA experience.

Besides that, I'd rather see a poor-man's Horry replacement, than a potential Bonner replacement. The Spurs have enough 3-pt shooters - this season and probably next too.

Bruno
03-30-2012, 12:43 AM
Since re-signing Diaw will mainly depend on what he does with Spurs during the rest of the season, it's too soon to pick between Diaw and Lorbek. If Diaw is doing well, the question will be on the table since Spurs won't be able to sign both.

jesterbobman
03-30-2012, 01:12 AM
The success rates of those high level Euro guys coming over is pretty high, and they tend to be underpaid. In recent years, Splitter, Pekovic, Marc Gasol, have come over, and in general, have greatly exceeded their contracts, and Lorbek seems like an excellent fit next to Duncan/Splitter.

I really just wished they'd signed Diaw to the MMLE (either 1 year or 2 with a player option), so they could offer a contract as a non bird FA that would be close to a market offer, but I fully understand not spending that money with the tax.

100%duncan
03-30-2012, 02:30 AM
Focus on the PRESENT assholes. We might not get any other chance at the big one after this season.

angelbelow
03-30-2012, 02:51 AM
As of right this second, I'm actually higher on Lorbek. Higher ceiling and if you sign him to a multi-year deal, you don't have to worry about him eating himself out of the league during the summer. I love Diaw as a late season addition who is looking to up his value before he hits free agency but an under-contract Diaw has risk.

Diaw, though, will hopefully have have at least a couple months to prove how well he fits. If he keeps improving and becomes that poor-man's Horry that Pop has been searching for, it could come to the point that the Spurs have to take a gamble and try to keep Diaw no matter the cost.

Lorbek is quite the risk as well. There is no guarantee that he even comes, pursuing him as the priority and you risk losing them both. Diaw to other bidders and while hoping Lorbek picks us. Next we have to hope that Lorbek grasps the Spurs system and impresses Pop enough to get some minutes. Even then, does an unproven player move ahead of Bonner and Blair on the depth charts to matter?

Pop has already shown that he is willing to play and use Diaw, and so far he looks like a nice fit. If Diaw continues to impress and plays well through-out the playoffs.. re-signing him would be the safe and smart choice. One way or another, I hope the next few months paint a crystal clear picture of Diaw so we don't have to make a difficult decision of Diaw vs. Lorbek.

therealtruth
03-30-2012, 03:02 AM
They an amnesty Bonner and resign Diaw.

Kamnik
03-30-2012, 04:05 AM
Assuming that Diaw continues to help the Spurs down the stretch and contributes to a successful playoff run, then Diaw is the obvious choice.

Agreed - and I am a Slovenian Lorbek fan...

Lorbek has a good basketball IQ but I expect him to need at least his whole rookie year to adapt to the NBA game and the Spurs.
This means he probably won't be in rotation for the 2012/2013 season playoffs. Will the Spurs still be contenders for the 2013/2014 season? TD and Manu will both 2 years older...

If the Spurs would get tossed out in the first round this year or there would be some major injury which would spark the rebuilding process then. Lorbek>Diaw. (even if Diaw plays great until the end of the season/playoffs)

In short:
-another playoff runs planned next 1-2 years -> Diaw
-rebuilding starts -> Lorbek

will_spurs
03-30-2012, 04:09 AM
I assume it's not possible to amnesty a player then sign him again to a lower deal to clear some cap space? (e.g. Manu)

One thing to consider: if Lorbek says he really wants to come, in the hope of getting a better contract, then his rights suddenly have value.

The main issue with trading Blair for a pick is that the pick would likely be for a big... and there's no reason a team needing a big would take Blair over a pick.

On the other hand, was Hill really a superior player to Blair in the eyes of other FOs? I'm not sure, especially since some GMs might not look much further than Blair being a starter on a very successful team. And it's not like he doesn't have some highlight reels...

mountainballer
03-30-2012, 05:07 AM
well, just to make you all happy, I claim that at least there is a chance that the Spurs sign both.
well let's design a very player friendly contract. offer Lorbek a 4 years / 12 million contract with a player option for the 4th year. this contract would start at 2.8M per and go up to 3.2M in the 4th year. I assume this is about what he can get in Europe, maybe even slightly better overall (ignoring that KPB will jump in and explain that in E he will get something like 5 times this number).
if he succeeds in the NBA, he can opt out 2015 (he will be 31 then) and likely make some more for another 3 or more years.
I think he will accept this deal.

so Diaw could be offered a 3 years / 7 million deal starting at 2.2M. (or a 4 years / 9.4 M contract) last year is a PO as well. so he would be in a team with Tony till Tony's contract with Spurs expires.
I agree that this might not be enough. but do we expect many teams offer a much better deal for a 30 years with a record of bringing 20 extra pounds every summer? I doubt it.

Spursfanfromafar
03-30-2012, 05:12 AM
well, just to make you all happy, I claim that at least there is a chance that the Spurs sign both.
well let's design a very player friendly contract. offer Lorbek a 4 years / 12 million contract with a player option for the 4th year. this contract would start at 2.8M per and go up to 3.2M in the 4th year. I assume this is about what he can get in Europe, maybe even slightly better overall (ignoring that KPB will jump in and explain that in E he will get something like 5 times this number).
if he succeeds in the NBA, he can opt out 2015 (he will be 31 then) and likely make some more for another 3 or more years.
I think he will accept this deal.

so Diaw could be offered a 3 years / 7 million deal starting at 2.2M. (or a 4 years / 9.4 M contract) last year is a PO as well. so he would be in a team with Tony till Tony's contract with Spurs expires.
I agree that this might not be enough. but do we expect many teams offer a much better deal for a 30 years with a record of bringing 20 extra pounds every summer? I doubt it.

Lorbek says yes and gets what he deserves.

Diaw, if the Spurs make a lot of noise in playoffs, shall easily get a better offer in a big man loving league.

Spursfanfromafar
03-30-2012, 05:15 AM
I assume it's not possible to amnesty a player then sign him again to a lower deal to clear some cap space? (e.g. Manu)

One thing to consider: if Lorbek says he really wants to come, in the hope of getting a better contract, then his rights suddenly have value.

The main issue with trading Blair for a pick is that the pick would likely be for a big... and there's no reason a team needing a big would take Blair over a pick.

On the other hand, was Hill really a superior player to Blair in the eyes of other FOs? I'm not sure, especially since some GMs might not look much further than Blair being a starter on a very successful team. And it's not like he doesn't have some highlight reels...

I agree with you. Blair will be valuable for the right team as an energy big man coming from the bench. But the problem is that the team who would be a potential buyer can very well get one from the draft itself without that much of a drop off, if what is said about it being a big man loaded one is true.

100%duncan
03-30-2012, 05:23 AM
Agreed - and I am a Slovenian Lorbek fan...

Lorbek has a good basketball IQ but I expect him to need at least his whole rookie year to adapt to the NBA game and the Spurs.
This means he probably won't be in rotation for the 2012/2013 season playoffs. Will the Spurs still be contenders for the 2013/2014 season? TD and Manu will both 2 years older...

If the Spurs would get tossed out in the first round this year or there would be some major injury which would spark the rebuilding process then. Lorbek>Diaw. (even if Diaw plays great until the end of the season/playoffs)

In short:
-another playoff runs planned next 1-2 years -> Diaw
-rebuilding starts -> Lorbek
Don't you think that this year is the last year to have a complete drive for 5?

100%duncan
03-30-2012, 05:25 AM
^anyone?

Darkwaters
03-30-2012, 05:45 AM

Thats the historical precendent around here. Oberto basically sat out a year to adjust, playing very small amounts of minutes. Splitter was in a similar boat, playing smaller minutes for a season as he adjusted.

Lorbek would probably be managed similarly.

mountainballer
03-30-2012, 07:55 AM
right, but Fab joined a championship team that had (outside Tim) Rasho, Nazr, Rob and Marks so there was just to much competition to get big minutes. the year after his competitors for PT were the aging Rob, Elson, Bonner and Butler. I think if Fab joined the 2006-07 team in his first year, he gets more PT immediately.
why Splitter only got that little PT last season is still an enigma, especially considering he was producing on a pretty nice PER number. I want to believe that Pop has learned from this when he realized how muchTiago could have helped vs. the Grizzlies.
so I think Lorbek would get more PT than Fab and Tiago in their first season.
(assuming Lorbek takes Bonners spot and Bonner gets the amnesty)

yavozerb
03-30-2012, 08:27 AM
I really think both players will be in play next season. I still think the spurs will use there amnesty on Bonner this summer freeing up a little extra $ and also open up 2 spots for bigs.

therealtruth
03-30-2012, 08:33 AM
right, but Fab joined a championship team that had (outside Tim) Rasho, Nazr, Rob and Marks so there was just to much competition to get big minutes. the year after his competitors for PT were the aging Rob, Elson, Bonner and Butler. I think if Fab joined the 2006-07 team in his first year, he gets more PT immediately.
why Splitter only got that little PT last season is still an enigma, especially considering he was producing on a pretty nice PER number. I want to believe that Pop has learned from this when he realized how muchTiago could have helped vs. the Grizzlies.
so I think Lorbek would get more PT than Fab and Tiago in their first season.
(assuming Lorbek takes Bonners spot and Bonner gets the amnesty)

It's hard to give Pop a pass on Splitter's playing time because he refuses to admit how stupid and shortsighted his decisions were.

xmas1997
03-30-2012, 08:40 AM
Why can't we have both?
We need both.

dbestpro
03-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Me thinks Diaw allows Lorbek to get acclimated while making Bonner or Blair expendable. If Blair can get us a first round draft pick that is decent then that would be the way to go.

yavozerb
03-30-2012, 08:55 AM
Me thinks Diaw allows Lorbek to get acclimated while making Bonner or Blair expendable. If Blair can get us a first round draft pick that is decent then that would be the way to go.

Ya, I cannot see Blair by himself getting a lottery pick, but if you can package him with neil, then you might get yourself a mid 1st rd pick in my opinion..just a thought

Mel_13
03-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Why can't we have both?
We need both.

Because both salaries would have to fit inside the MLE and that appears extremely unlikely. One of them would have to accept a salary that is well below market value.

Btw, using the amnesty on Bonner would do nothing to change the situation.

yavozerb
03-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Because both salaries would have to fit inside the MLE and that appears extremely unlikely. One of them would have to accept a salary that is well below market value.

It offers a roster spot, does it not? Just wondering how the 3.6 mil in freed up cash does not aid in re-signing TD or Green?

Mel_13
03-30-2012, 09:34 AM
It offers a roster spot, does it not? Just wondering how the 3.6 mil in freed up cash does not aid in re-signing TD or Green?

The Spurs won't need a roster spot badly enough to pay 3.6M to create one. Using the amnesty on Bonner only comes into play if Duncan's new salary pushesthem towards the luxury tax. I don't think that will be case, but it could happen.

mountainballer
03-30-2012, 09:44 AM

it might, but it's not very likely.
if Tim gets an extension of about 15M and Green is re signed to a significant pay rise (3M+), Spurs move close to the lux tax threshold and could be in danger to lose the full MLE.

just for the discussion. what do you think is the market value of Diaw this summer. I mean even considering a somehow strong performance. I have no idea. but as I said before, most teams will remember the problems in Charlotte. and even if he plays well with the Spurs, they will give credit to Tony and the Spurs culture to have been able to motivate him, but probably doubt that this works in a different environment. would teams offer him like full MLE?

Mel_13
03-30-2012, 09:52 AM
it might, but it's not very likely.
if Tim gets an extension of about 15M and Green is re signed to a significant pay rise (3M+), Spurs move close to the lux tax threshold and could be in danger to lose the full MLE.

just for the discussion. what do you think is the market value of Diaw this summer. I mean even considering a somehow strong performance. I have no idea. but as I said before, most teams will remember the problems in Charlotte. and even if he plays well with the Spurs, they will give credit to Tony and the Spurs culture to have been able to motivate him, but probably doubt that this works in a different environment. would teams offer him like full MLE?

Even assuming that Diaw performs very well, it's very hard to guess what his market value will be. As I look at it, there is not one, efficient market setting his value, but 30 separate markets all responding to their own unique situations. It just takes one GM to make a, seemingly, extravagant offer.

All that said, I believe that Diaw would command all or most of the full MLE if he performs well for the Spurs. That means that the Spurscan't have both Diaw and Lorbek.

Btw, I agree with your scenario about a possible use for a Bonner amnesty and already posted about it.

mountainballer
03-30-2012, 10:24 AM
another tought about the possible Diaw scenario.
would he agree to a 3 years contract of 7M, with a PO after the 1st year.
(I think this is allowed, isn't it?)
if the 2012-13 season works out well for him and the Spurs, he could opt out and would be re signed for the 2013 MLE. (or a significant part of it). it would be a risk on his side, but he does know that the Spurs will reward such a move, if he proves to be a good fit.

Mel_13
03-30-2012, 10:36 AM
another tought about the possible Diaw scenario.
would he agree to a 3 years contract of 7M, with a PO after the 1st year.
(I think this is allowed, isn't it?)
if the 2012-13 season works out well for him and the Spurs, he could opt out and would be re signed for the 2013 MLE. (or a significant part of it). it would be a risk on his side, but he does know that the Spurs will reward such a move, if he proves to be a good fit.

I believe a player option has to be for the final year of a contract, so your scenario would have to be on a 2-year contract.

My opinion on these sorts of things always goes back to the fact that these are professional athletes. There are examples where small financial concessions are made in order to stay with a particular franchise, but money is almost always the deciding factor.

So while it remains possible, I don't see a 30 year old professional basketball player leaving 21M guaranteed dollars on the table to take 2M for one year with the possibility of getting paid later on.

RC is a clever guy, but I don't see how he fits Diaw and Lorbek into the MLE (assuming a strong performance by Diaw, including the playoffs).

mountainballer
03-30-2012, 11:11 AM
remember the situation with Horry in 2004? Spurs turned down the 5 million option for his 2nd year and he still re signed, but for the minimum? I assume he could have got more from another team, but didn't he say something about pride and that he was disappointed about his first season with the Spurs and wants to prove something? however, of course you are right, professional athletes usually don't act like this and even if they did think about it, there is an agent around, who does care about his business.

maybe the whole thing is pretty simple. if Diaw is really good in the PO and in fact helps the Spurs to win a series or two, (I'm not talking about the ring) it's a no brainer to re sign him, even for the whole MLE and hope that Lorbek can be brought over 2013. (if he signs a contract with an affordable buy out in Europe, something that isn't totally impossible to negotiate).
if he is bad, Spurs forget about him and bring in Lorbek.
if he is just mediocre, they should still bring in Lorbek, because of the better upside long term.

Mel_13
03-30-2012, 11:28 AM
remember the situation with Horry in 2004? Spurs turned down the 5 million option for his 2nd year and he still re signed, but for the minimum? I assume he could have got more from another team, but didn't he say something about pride and that he was disappointed about his first season with the Spurs and wants to prove something? however, of course you are right, professional athletes usually don't act like this and even if they did think about it, there is an agent around, who does care about his business.

The Horry case agrees with my premise. After a terrible 2004 playoffs (following up a terrible 2003 playoffs), the Spurs signed a 34 year old Horry to a minimum contract. After his heroics in the 2005 playoffs, a 35 year old Horry got a 3 year deal

maybe the whole thing is pretty simple. if Diaw is really good in the PO and in fact helps the Spurs to win a series or two, (I'm not talking about the ring) it's a no brainer to re sign him, even for the whole MLE and hope that Lorbek can be brought over 2013. (if he signs a contract with an affordable buy out in Europe, something that isn't totally impossible to negotiate).
if he is bad, Spurs forget about him and bring in Lorbek.
if he is just mediocre, they should still bring in Lorbek, because of the better upside long term.

Agree with all this.

Scrub
03-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Regarding Diaw vs. Lorbek, Lorbek is the better player hands down. He also has very high BBIQ, low post skills second to none in Europe, nice shot, and is the ultimate professional...meaning he won't get fat after he signs the contract. IMHO Pop would like him.

What about Mirza Teletovic? He's two years younger than Lorbek and went undrafted. He's top 5 European PFs easy and VERY athletic for a white guy. He could have Scola-like impact...as would Lorbek if he went to NBA a little younger. Check him out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4IdpCl4Ypw

Kobayagi
03-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Luckily, the Spurs won't need to make that choice as Lorbek has stated in the past he's not interested in going to NBA.

The only reason he would even consider it, would be to drive his euroleague price up.

TD 21
03-30-2012, 05:57 PM

I'm not worried about Diaw getting (even more) out of shape if the Spurs re-signed him to a multi-year contract. I don't think he'd pull that playing for an organization like this, but even if he would, I'm not sure Parker would allow him to. I could actually see them going so far as to have him give them his word that he would adhere to a program they set up for him to get in and remain in actual game shape, before agreeing to re-sign him. Because even if they want him back, I think he'll want to stay more than they'll want to re-sign him.

I think you're right in saying that if he becomes a poor-man's Horry, they'll re-sign him. He's more of a sure thing than Lorbek, who they don't know if he'll actually come over and even if he does, there's the question of if and how quickly his game will translate. Let's face it, he'd more than likely be the fifth big next season anyway, whereas Diaw would probably be the starting power forward. Considering the minimal age gap and the fact that they probably have two more seasons with Duncan and Ginobili to attempt to contend, I think they'd take the sure thing.

BackHome
03-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Well looking at each position production and needs:

PG - WE have Tony who to me is having one of his best years as a Spurs. We have Patty who so far I have liked but will see how he does for the rest of the season. But it seems we got this position covered.

SG- Manu is getting older and a little slower and a little more fragile. I still love him but would not mind getting someone who can play perimeter defense and is able to take it strong to the rim. Anderson is gone and the biggest question is do we keep trade Neal and do we sign Green?

SF- We are set Jackson and Kawhi :flag:

PF - Blair has his ups and downs but is cheap and Bonner well can he produce in the playoff will determine if we keep him. I do like Diaw but agree he does need to keep the defense honest as far as him trying to score every once in while.

As far as Lobrek I like him but he will have to show us real fast if he wants to play in the NBA. I don't want to see him use us as leverage to get a better deal in Europe. So as soon as possible make him a offer and he can take it or leave it...NO GAMES...

C: Duncna and Splitter are good.

TJastal
03-31-2012, 12:35 AM
Spurs are not dealing Blair as the numbers he puts up in the time he gets are unreal. He could being in a mid first to late lotto easy. Spurs have no interest in adding any more youth next year.

With Neal, Green, KL, Splitter, Blair and Joseph they have enough young guys. They also may bring Richards over next year so thats another young guy. Spurs like Diaw and if he gets in shape hes a great mismatch player at the 4. He also a guy you can run the offense through for short periods.

Spurs may go after another big in FA, Ian would be nice as he has show to be a solid player still very young and improving. He also is getting better about not fouling. They may resign Anderson but at this point I think he goes somewhere hes gonna get time and right now Green is a much better all around player.

Spurs may look to grab an early second rounder from GS maybe and draft a project big other than that I think we roll with what we have next season. Spurs do need to add some size behind TD and Splitter due to injury concern and let Blair and Diaw split time at the 4.

The numbers Blair gives up to the opposition are even more unreal.

therealtruth
03-31-2012, 12:55 AM
The numbers Blair gives up to the opposition are even more unreal.

Blair is a guy who puts up good numbers on a bad team. On a good team he does more bad than good.

TJastal
03-31-2012, 01:00 AM
Blair is a guy who puts up good numbers on a bad team. On a good team he does more bad than good.

Agreed.

Blair has a few positives including great hands that make him work alright in he starting lineup. He thrives on all the attention paid to the big 3. But you could put any guy in his place that has good hands and get the same "unreal" results, IMO. Like Splitter for instance. It's such a damn shame Pop never gave the Tim/Tiago starting frontline a chance to work.

Bruno
03-31-2012, 02:41 AM
If Diaw has a good end of the season with Spurs, his market value will be close to a full MLE contract. Remember that with new CBA rules, the full MLE is only $21M over 4 years.

In that case, Spurs best odds at getting Lorbek too would be with the BAE. It's about $4M over 2 years. the second year could be a player option to make the contract more attractive. It's not a lot of money for Lorbek but it gives him the ability to get quickly a second and bigger NBA contract.

Spurs da champs
03-31-2012, 02:45 AM
Lorbek is an unproven 2nd round pick who is 28 years old, how much money does he honestly think he deserves?

Redshadows
03-31-2012, 03:20 AM
Lorbek is an unproven 2nd round pick who is 28 years old, how much money does he honestly think he deserves?
As much as Splitter deserves.

Kobayagi
03-31-2012, 04:57 AM
Lorbek can make a shitload of money in Europe, so why would he take a huge paycut to play in a league he doesn't even like?

angelbelow
03-31-2012, 05:26 AM
Lorbek can make a shitload of money in Europe, so why would he take a huge paycut to play in a league he doesn't even like?

This may have been true prior to the Hill-Leonard deal. But since his rights were traded to the San Antonio Spurs, Lorbek has publicly announced that the NBA is now an option.

Whether he's sincerely interested in joining the Spurs or he was instructed to say so to drive his own market value... we'll find out in a few months.

Lorbek said his rights being traded to SA has renew his interest in going to the NBA. Saying that, it's fully possible that he decides to finally stay in Europe.

maverick1948
03-31-2012, 02:24 PM
I think under the new CBA, we could sign both. Diaw could be signed under the Non-qualifying vet clause. I know he may want more than this. This is from CBA:

(3) Non-Qualifying Veteran Free Agent (“Non-Bird”) Exception. A team may re-sign its own free agent who is neither a “Bird”
nor an “Early Bird” player to a first-year salary of up to the greater of (a) 120% of the player’s salary in the last season of his
prior contract, (b) 120% of the player’s applicable minimum salary for the current season, or (c) if the player is a Restricted Free
Agent, his Qualifying Offer amount

That would leave ALL the MLE for Lorbek, if we wanted to use it for that. Maybe TIMVP can find out about the Exceptions. I'm not sure about the exceptions or their value.

IMO, Diaw is going to find it hard looking for a team that is going to pay him much above the minimum salary because of his past problems with his conditioning and lack of desire to play. Even if he does continue to produce for the Spurs, other teams may look at it as TP's influence.

Tim is the key to how much we can spend on players. When he signs, we will have 10 players under contract. Tim, Tiago, DeJuan, Matty as bigs. SJax, KL at the SF. Manu, Gary at the SG and TP and Cory at the PG. Unsigned would be Diaw, Mills, Green and Anderson. IMO, we lose Danny Green to a bigger offer than we are willing to pay, and Anderson is likely gone, although I would like to keep him one more year to see if he improves. Signing Diaw and Mills gets us to the minimum of 12 active, but 1 short of the required number on the roster. Signing those two gives up depth at every position. So who would we want for the MLE? LORBEK

therealtruth
03-31-2012, 02:49 PM

Pop's treatment of Splitter last year doesn't help. Take a huge paycut to sit at the end of the bench so you can get over yourself while two guys you're better than (Bonner,Blair) take your playing time.

TheSkeptic
03-31-2012, 02:59 PM
Pop's treatment of Splitter last year doesn't help. Take a huge paycut to sit at the end of the bench so you can get over yourself while two guys you're better than (Bonner,Blair) take your playing time.

Hate to nitpick but I'd also like to add that we're in season 2 and those same two guys he's better than (Bonner, Blair) are *still* getting his playing time.

Whether Lorbek wants money or a chance to prove himself, I'm not sure what he has to gain from coming over if this is what's likely to happen.

Mel_13
03-31-2012, 04:59 PM
I think under the new CBA, we could sign both. Diaw could be signed under the Non-qualifying vet clause. I know he may want more than this. This is from CBA:

(3) Non-Qualifying Veteran Free Agent (“Non-Bird”) Exception. A team may re-sign its own free agent who is neither a “Bird”
nor an “Early Bird” player to a first-year salary of up to the greater of (a) 120% of the player’s salary in the last season of his
prior contract, (b) 120% of the player’s applicable minimum salary for the current season, or (c) if the player is a Restricted Free
Agent, his Qualifying Offer amount

Assuming a successful run with the Spurs, there is absolutely no way that Diaw signs for 120% of minimum salary.

BackHome
03-31-2012, 06:39 PM
I don't get the reference of Diaw being a poor mans Horry? Horry has like six rings and known for killer three point daggers in the last second of games....Diaw is known for passing and being over weight?..........

jjktkk
03-31-2012, 07:24 PM

Being able to prove himself in the NBA. Pride.

therealtruth
03-31-2012, 07:34 PM
I don't get the reference of Diaw being a poor mans Horry? Horry has like six rings and known for killer three point daggers in the last second of games....Diaw is known for passing and being over weight?..........

One way might be that their intangibles outweigh their stats.