PDA

View Full Version : Someone taking away the BPFOAT-belt from Timmy?

mudyez
03-30-2012, 05:50 AM
So basically everybody (media, sportsfans, players) agree on Timmy beeing the best PF of all time and rightfully so.
That said, Spursfans are pretty proud of it and probably wouldn't like to see someone taking that BPFOAT-belt of his hips.
Ok, it doesn't really take anything away from him, but wouldn't Suns/Utah fans love it to see Barkley/Malone mentioned every time someone is speaking about THE best PF?
As time moves on some other great PFs will play in this league and will get an extra advantage, just because they will be more recent and in short-term memory (thats how we -people/media- work).

We don't know which great PF's we will see in like 15 years, but I'd like to take a look at the best PF's in todays NBA, asking if they might unthrone Timmy (chances are nobody will, but lets ask if someone at least has a chance).

First of all we have to ask ourself, what makes Timmy the greatest PF of all time?
While he has great stats, its not what makes him the GPFOAT. It's more the way he plays both sides of the ball, anchoring the Defense, while beeing the focus on Offense. Guys like Barkley, Malone or Dirk couldn't do the same on defense, even though I wouldnt call them two-way-players as well. Then there is the "great teammate" factor. The three guys mentioned have not been bad teammates, but nobody touches Timmy. And don't underestimate that fact, as your leaders have to lead and a lot of them simply can't! Next we have the longevity. Ok, he isn't the same Timmy he used to be in the early 2000s, but his game martures very well compared to guys that only jump out of the gym. The "Big Fundamental" stuff is no joke and every basketball fan should be proud of him, showing kids how to be sucessfull without having insane physical gifts (ok he is tall!), but listening to your coaches and working hard. And finally there is the hardware! While there could be a lot of good PF's that might get into the conversation, Timmy won 4 Ships as the main guy (props to Manu and Tony, but they will tell you the very same thing). If anyone wants to touch him, he has to win at least 2-3 ships as the leader, only to have a chance to do so.

So lets take a look at current PF's that might have a punchers chance to take Timmy's spot.

Lamarcus Aldride
He is a well rounded player, can't anchor a defense or seems capable of beeing the clear cut lead guy on a multi time champion. While I can see him beeing the best PF in todays NBA, I dont see his cailing as league MVP. He also has to go through another rebuilding project, that will take some years of him playing a main role in the league.

Chris Bosh
Basically already gave up on any chance. He might win several Ships, but I dont have to tell you that nobody will talk about him in that regard. Also not an defensive anchor.

DeMarcus Cousins
Great skills which might give him a punchers chance. But his character issues will never let it happen, as well as his situation in Sactown at least for a while. My bet would be, he ends up beeing the next coming of Sheed (ok, I'm not the first to tell you), with him jumping from team to team.

Dirk Nowitzki
I already included him and he might have the best chance (while still very slim). He intruduced the typical euro-PF to the league (ok, he didn't really but he was the first to make himself an MVP with that skillset) and got one Ring as the lone starplayer. I dont see him winning more than that one but who knows? Some already see him as the 2nd best PFOAT, but he is too old to close that big gab I believe.

Kevin Garnett
Not sure, where he ranks all time. Probably #5 (Timmy, Charles, Malone, Dirk???). Had the chance to have Timmys career if they had switched places. Or at least that is what some believe (I dont, but he might have been better in SA nontheless). Now he is old, won one Ship as the second to third guy (still probably the most important of them but not really THE "main cock") and wont increase his standing compared to Timmy much over the rest of his career, I believe.

Blake Griffin
While, again, not an defensive anchor like Timmy, he jumpstarted his NBA career very will. But there you have it! "Jumping" doesn't age very well. It's hard to compare him to guys like Kemp and Carter, as there have been other problems with these dudes, but Blake won't jump out of the gym for like 10 years. He might add some other stuff and will be a great athlete for a long time, but when everything is said and done, we might see him as Nique or Nance but probably not much else.

Kevin Love
The one I'd like to give the best chances of the young guns especially because his smart game and skillset will age very well, giving him the chance to have a very very long career. While he also isn't a defensive anchor, his insane rebounding and spacing the floor make up for a lot of stuff. He just feels like a young Dirk, but with an even nicer allround arsenal of what he brings to the table. Problem with him should be the hardware as the main guy. He will be locked in a situation (MIN), where I doupt, they will win any championships. And even if he leaves or they dramatically improve, he doesn't seem like the guy, that could go that far without at least one other big piece that might put him into a shadow. I love Love and like that he even gets mentioned as possible MVP, but can you see him as the 1st option on a mulditchampion, without a major ballhandler on an All Star level or at least a team that puts him into a "they had like 5 great players and Kevin just was the best of them" situation?

and no, no room for Zach or Bonner! Nor did I talk about Horry.

What are your thoughts of the mentioned guys?
Did I leave someone off the list in your opinion?
Any fear Timmy will loose his belt to one of the current players?

100%duncan
03-30-2012, 05:53 AM
NO ONE will ever come close.

Let us proceed.....

will_spurs
03-30-2012, 06:06 AM
First rule to be considered the BPFOAT: must win a ring within the first 2 seasons with only one other former/future HoFer on the roster, and one former All-Star with serious health issues.

Anything short of that and one is already out of contention.

mudyez
03-30-2012, 06:10 AM
not sure where to rank LeBron James in the BSFOAT hunt, but he should at least have a chance to take it from whoever has it (probably Bird), doesn't he?

just saying!

a lot can happen!

100%duncan
03-30-2012, 07:39 AM
Bird is a PF

Dr. John R. Brinkley
03-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Bird is a PF? What was he playing then next to McHale and Parrish?

100%duncan
03-30-2012, 08:26 AM
Some say he's PF some SF.

Drachen
03-30-2012, 08:28 AM
Bird is a shooting forward

100%duncan
03-30-2012, 08:28 AM
oops, yeah he was a SF.
sorry, I wasn't born during that time so yeah, bruh.

Solid D
03-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Bird is a PF? What was he playing then next to McHale and Parrish?

Yep. Bird was a 3 most of his career.

ajh18
03-30-2012, 08:34 AM
None of them come close. Love has the offensive skill set, but lacks the defense and let's be honest, can you ever see a Tim Duncan-led team performing like the Wolves? Take Tim in his prime, put them on today's Minnesota team, and they are competing for a 6th or 7th seed in the West.

100%duncan
03-30-2012, 08:36 AM
None of them come close. Love has the offensive skill set, but lacks the defense and let's be honest, can you ever see a Tim Duncan-led team performing like the Wolves? Take Tim in his prime, put them on today's Minnesota team, and they are competing for a 6th or 7th seed in the West.

No, they'd be in WCF. Just put Pop in their and a healthy team.

Fireball
03-30-2012, 09:40 AM
First rule to be considered the BPFOAT: must win a ring within the first 2 seasons with only one other former/future HoFer on the roster, and one former All-Star with serious health issues.

Anything short of that and one is already out of contention.

aaaaand if the player has done that, he will have to get 3 more rings, MVP awards etc etc etc ...

nobody of the current young guns can do that ... so my Timmy stays BPFOAT :toast

Dex
03-30-2012, 09:45 AM
4>0>0>0>1>1>0>0

That's the only argument I need, Sean!!!!

Horse
03-30-2012, 12:29 PM
No one will catch him. Love is great but he just seems to compile stats without really making his team better. I know that sounds stupid but I just dont' see him as a leader. dirk was great but never played d and should have been a better rebounder at his size.

Aztecfan03
03-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Kevin Love
The one I'd like to give the best chances of the young guns especially because his smart game and skillset will age very well, giving him the chance to have a very very long career. While he also isn't a defensive anchor, his insane rebounding and spacing the floor make up for a lot of stuff. He just feels like a young Dirk, but with an even nicer allround arsenal of what he brings to the table. Problem with him should be the hardware as the main guy. He will be locked in a situation (MIN), where I doupt, they will win any championships. And even if he leaves or they dramatically improve, he doesn't seem like the guy, that could go that far without at least one other big piece that might put him into a shadow. I love Love and like that he even gets mentioned as possible MVP, but can you see him as the 1st option on a mulditchampion, without a major ballhandler on an All Star level or at least a team that puts him into a "they had like 5 great players and Kevin just was the best of them" situation?

You act like Duncan never had parker, robinson, ginobli.

but they won't surpass Duncan

z0sa
03-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Although he would never say or even (for the most part) display it, I think Tim Duncan has quite a bit of pride in his ranking as BPFOAT. In fact, that's why I think he's playing for 2 more years after this - so his career stat totals will truly paint an inarguable picture for him being among the all-time best, titles not included.

DPG21920
03-30-2012, 04:29 PM
ja ja ja

(spanish laugh is funnier than english laugh)

You are not funny in any language unfortunately

Aiko9245
03-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Although he would never say or even (for the most part) display it, I think Tim Duncan has quite a bit of pride in his ranking as BPFOAT. In fact, that's why I think he's playing for 2 more years after this - so his career stat totals will truly paint an inarguable picture for him being among the all-time best, titles not included.

Right on. He always let's the box score speak for him. "Til the wheels...

YODA
03-30-2012, 04:58 PM
I think there have been alot of PF's on the past who have been greatm but get little notice. Recall a former Spur Named Terry Cummings. Guys was a beast.

What about James Worthy? Wasnt he a PF?

Solid D
03-30-2012, 05:05 PM
I think there have been alot of PF's on the past who have been greatm but get little notice. Recall a former Spur Named Terry Cummings. Guys was a beast.

What about James Worthy? Wasnt he a PF?

In the NBA, James was a SF.

Bambililos
03-30-2012, 05:16 PM
I don't know about 15 years from now, but I can tell none of the guys from this generation will surpass TD. They may be very good on offense but no one is as good on defense as he used to be, and still is at times.

chazley
03-31-2012, 12:10 AM
Kevin Love has the best chance of anyone on that list of becoming better than Duncan. The numbers he puts up are so far ahead of everyone else's, it's hard to fathom that his teams will continue to lose for much longer. If he ever gets a halfway decent SG and SF, Minny will be a contender for the next decade. Kahn was a fucking idiot not giving him a max contract.

Spurs da champs
03-31-2012, 12:51 AM
Kevin Love has the best chance of anyone on that list of becoming better than Duncan. The numbers he puts up are so far ahead of everyone else's, it's hard to fathom that his teams will continue to lose for much longer. If he ever gets a halfway decent SG and SF, Minny will be a contender for the next decade. Kahn was a fucking idiot not giving him a max contract.

Kevin Love's posts moves are a joke compared to Tim's & he's a shitty defender as well. No comparison, guy just gets great stats on a shitty team.

therealtruth
03-31-2012, 12:53 AM
I don't know about 15 years from now, but I can tell none of the guys from this generation will surpass TD. They may be very good on offense but no one is as good on defense as he used to be, and still is at times.

That's really what makes Duncan unique. First team All-NBA and first team all-defense at the power forward position puts him in a class of his own just like MJ.

100%duncan
03-31-2012, 12:58 AM
From the current pool of players.. no one can surpass him.

Spurs da champs
03-31-2012, 01:03 AM
Center-forward is more accurate, best big ever.

Chase_the_Bass
03-31-2012, 01:51 AM
Call me crazy but I am still not sold on Love.

100%duncan
03-31-2012, 07:51 AM
^ You're not the only one.

will_spurs
03-31-2012, 08:36 AM
You act like Duncan never had parker, robinson, ginobli.

The first time he had D-Rob, Sean Elliott (2x All-Star) and a bunch of nobodies.

To be fair, current Minnesotta roster is even worse, even with Rubio not injured.

8FOR!3
03-31-2012, 08:58 AM
Best player on that list is Garnett in his prime, but even he couldn't touch Duncan and he made that evident on the court.

Thomas82
03-31-2012, 09:28 AM
best player on that list is garnett in his prime, but even he couldn't touch duncan and he made that evident on the court.

+1

therealtruth
03-31-2012, 07:53 PM
Duncan may not be the best offensive PF but defensively he was probably the best.

gambit1990
03-31-2012, 10:23 PM
Bird is a PF

:lol

gambit1990
03-31-2012, 10:41 PM
i never expected love to be capable of playing as good as he has been the past couple years.

i've actually been rooting for the timberwolves for about a month now. mostly because of love, a little because of rubio--with him out i hope they can still manage to get the 8th seed.

this should be their only logo though:
http://www.thesportsbank.net/core/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/twolves2.jpg
it's so slick. way better than their main one.

Dingle Barry
04-01-2012, 04:58 AM
Lol Lamarcus Aldridge lol.

chazley
04-02-2012, 01:29 AM
Call me crazy but I am still not sold on Love.

Oh I get it, April Fools.

chazley
04-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Kevin Love's posts moves are a joke compared to Tim's & he's a shitty defender as well. No comparison, guy just gets great stats on a shitty team.

Shitty team? Minnesota is loaded in the frontcourt, and before Rubio went down were a playoff contender. His defense is average - T-Wolves are a better defensive team when he's on the court compared to when he's off it. Kevin Love is also tied with LeBron in scoring this season, so not sure how you can bash his offensive game in any way.

Spurs da champs
04-02-2012, 01:49 AM
Shitty team? Minnesota is loaded in the frontcourt, and before Rubio went down were a playoff contender. His defense is average - T-Wolves are a better defensive team when he's on the court compared to when he's off it. Kevin Love is also tied with LeBron in scoring this season, so not sure how you can bash his offensive game in any way.

They were sub .500 with Rubio they were a shitty team who weren't going to make the playoffs. His defense is average?lmao The only positive he does on defense is rebound other then that he's a shitty defender. And great for him he can stuff his stats on a team that is going no where, another lottery pick season. :rolleyes

DMC
04-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Kevin Love is a stat whore, plain and simple.

DMC
04-02-2012, 02:15 PM
The Rockets are a playoff contender. Big deal.

mudyez
04-04-2012, 05:21 AM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7770130/handicapping-nba-mvp-race

While reading on Grantland two things stood out for me:
1. the stuff about K-Love (very impressing, but nothing to fear in terms of TD=BPFOAT)

2. the Durant part...which let me asking myself if he is a SF or maybe will end up beeing a PF like on Team USA

lets say the truth: TD was called a PF at least for the last 4 years while beeing more of a C. that said it probably is to manifest his place as the BPFOAT.
so now for Durant: may OKC ask theirselfes, if KD may have a better shot becomming the BSFOAT or BPFOAT? and what position is the easiest to become the BOAT anyway?

SG is set
C will be hard, coz everyone will point out that there are no centers anymore :) (and bill has it locked up anyway)
which leaves us with PF+SF+PG

Timmy, Larry/Pippen and Magic.

wildbill2u
04-04-2012, 01:11 PM
I think Elvin Hayes deserves a mention in this thread. He had a long career and was good on both ends of the court. He finished with a 21 ppg average so he exceeded TD's stats there.

There is something called an Elo player rater on Basketball reference that compares players but I couldn't figure out how to use it to enter these guys for comparison.

thesenator87
04-04-2012, 01:27 PM
New to Spurs Talk but a lifetime Spurs fans. Found this site at the beginning of this season and finally got around to joining. As far as the list of potential candidates to dethrone Timmy, no one has a chance. Only player I can see even coming close isn't even in the NBA yet. In my opinion, Anthony Davis is a once in a decade talent that has scary potential. He dominated the NCAA championship game while having a horrible shooting night and seems to have little ego and the potential to be a quiet leader like Duncan has done throughout his career. I'm not saying he will ever be as good, but he has the potential depending on the situation he lands in.

mudyez
04-04-2012, 05:51 PM
thought about davis too...

so lets ask ourself: in which team (lotterieteam!) he would have the best chance to do so?