PDA

View Full Version : 71 Year-Old Grandmother Faces Life for Cane Attack

GSH
03-30-2012, 09:03 AM
No - she didn't kill anyone. She whacked a guy with her cane. He doesn't have any broken bones. But the victim does say that he was "very offended".

Apparently, she said the bad "F" word when she hit him with the cane. Not "fairy", or "friut", but the REALLY bad "F" word. That's definitely worse than, say, molesting a child, or killing someone.

We are so screwed.

A 71-year-old Richland Hills grandmother was charged with a hate crime after she attacked a gay neighbor with her cane while yelling offensive slurs, police said.

Wanda Derby bonded out of jail Thursday afternoon.

The victim, Lloyd Guerrero, 25, said the attack followed days of growing tension. Derby's son moved in with Guerrero and his family about a week ago, he said.

Guerrero said the attack Wednesday night was unprovoked.

"Honestly, it looked like something out of a TV show. She just, like, whack," Guerrero said, motioning with his hand. "And I will say, she hit pretty hard."

Guerrero, an actor, said Derby also slapped his mother and assaulted several others.

"We finally got the cane and got it away from her and threw it on the ground," he said. "And then that's when I ran around and got inside the house. And then we started trying to shut the door. And she was like, full force, coming. I honestly don't know what she was thinking or what she even had in her."
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Enraged-Woman-Attacks-Sons-Roommate-to-be-144961835.html?dr

coyotes_geek
03-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Before I can form an opinion on this I'm going to need to know racial backgrounds and political affiliations of the affected parties. Have red team and blue team picked sides yet?

CosmicCowboy
03-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Before I can form an opinion on this I'm going to need to know racial backgrounds and political affiliations of the affected parties. Have red team and blue team picked sides yet?

:lmao

CosmicCowboy
03-30-2012, 09:21 AM
My guess is that blue team takes the faggot...:lol

Spurminator
03-30-2012, 09:53 AM
More manufactured outrage. She's not going to get a life sentence.

CosmicCowboy
03-30-2012, 10:01 AM
More manufactured outrage. She's not going to get a life sentence.

When you are 71 a 10 year sentence can be life.

and FWIW in the article the faggot said she deserved life.

Police say the cane she used is considered a deadly weapon. The charge was enhanced as a hate crime.

According to Texas law, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon carries a maximum 20-year prison term. However, as a hate crime, the possible sentence increases to life behind bars.

"She deserves every bit of it," Guerrero said.

clambake
03-30-2012, 10:13 AM
wow, cc gettin his hate on.

CosmicCowboy
03-30-2012, 10:15 AM
wow, cc gettin his hate on.

no hate here...

:stirpot:

faggot

:lol

coyotes_geek
03-30-2012, 10:20 AM
So just to check the scorecard, Guerrero is:

1) a faggot
2) an actor, so probably unemployed and on welfare
3) a minority*

* pending confirmation that Guerrero is a real hispanic and not a white hispanic, which we all now means you're white

This should be sufficient evidence for Red Team to conclude that Derby was acting in self-defense, although things might get complicated later if we find out that Derby is black and/or on food stamps.

ChumpDumper
03-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Man, why is CC laughing at his own homophobia?

CosmicCowboy
03-30-2012, 10:24 AM
:lol @ homophobia.

CosmicCowboy
03-30-2012, 10:27 AM
And while we are on the subject I find the whole concept of "hate crimes" offensive.

A murder should be treated like a murder no matter what the motive. Same with a minor assault like this one.

ChumpDumper
03-30-2012, 10:29 AM
:lol @ homophobia.What do you call it, then?

CosmicCowboy
03-30-2012, 10:30 AM
If the faggot had been in Florida he could have shot her.

CosmicCowboy
03-30-2012, 10:30 AM
What do you call it, then?

chump trolling

ChumpDumper
03-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Wow, CC. It's like you learned a new word.

Spurminator
03-30-2012, 10:32 AM

She won't get 10 years either. I'd be surprised if she got jail time at all.

Fortunately, he doesn't get to decide.

ChumpDumper
03-30-2012, 10:32 AM
chump trollingNo, you didn't repeat that initially for my benefit.

Spurminator
03-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Apparently, she said the bad "F" word when she hit him with the cane. Not "fairy", or "friut", but the REALLY bad "F" word. That's definitely worse than, say, molesting a child, or killing someone.

We are so screwed.

Still laughing at this, btw. Like anyone, anywhere, thinks this is worse than child molestation or murder, and like it would ever be sentenced comparably. Your blogs have you talking like a crazy person, GSH.

CosmicCowboy
03-30-2012, 10:36 AM

I see the blue team has taken the field...

ChumpDumper
03-30-2012, 10:38 AM

I see the blue team has taken the field...Yes, they are all saying she deserves and will receive a much lighter sentence than life.

Do you believe any different?

Spurminator
03-30-2012, 10:38 AM
There's really no political element to this. There's mock outrage and there's reality.

The victim sounds like a whiny bitch and the old lady is a homophobe. The only way this is newsworthy is if people are stupid enough to think grandma is getting a charge comparable to child molestation.

clambake
03-30-2012, 10:39 AM

I see the blue team has taken the field...

what do you mean? i haven't commented about the op.

Fabbs
03-30-2012, 11:01 AM

He calmed down after a couple Fuzzy Navels with Chump at happy hour.

ChumpDumper
03-30-2012, 11:02 AM
"She deserves every bit of it," Guerrero said.No one here agrees with Guerrero.

You'll have to find some other way to manufacture outrage.

CosmicCowboy
03-30-2012, 11:04 AM

He calmed down after a couple Fuzzy Navels with Chump at happy hour.

ChumpDumper
03-30-2012, 11:08 AM
So everyone basically feels the same on this issue. It was only an excuse for CC to flaunt his bigotry.

:tu

CosmicCowboy
03-30-2012, 11:09 AM
*yawn*

CosmicCowboy
03-30-2012, 11:10 AM
So how does blue team feel about hate crimes being treated differently than "regular" crimes?

ChumpDumper
03-30-2012, 11:11 AM
faggot

faggot

faggot

faggot

Spurminator
03-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Team Spurminator has never liked hate crime legislation. Crime is crime. If "hate" was a motivation, then let that apply in sentencing as well.

Th'Pusher
03-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Purple team thinks a crime is a crime is a crime

ChumpDumper
03-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Team Spurminator has never liked hate crime legislation. Crime is crime. If "hate" was a motivation, then let that apply in sentencing as well.Agreed. Aggravating circumstances already have a way to be taken into consideration.

TeyshaBlue
03-30-2012, 11:30 AM

1) a faggot
3) a minority*

* pending confirmation that Guerrero is a real hispanic and not a white hispanic, which we all now means you're white

This should be sufficient evidence for Red Team to conclude that Derby was acting in self-defense, although things might get complicated later if we find out that Derby is black and/or on food stamps.

Splendid analysis. :tu

Sec24Row7
03-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Charge her with assault. Case closed.

Winehole23
03-30-2012, 01:10 PM
And while we are on the subject I find the whole concept of "hate crimes" offensive.

A murder should be treated like a murder no matter what the motive. Same with a minor assault like this one.agree strongly. criminalizing intentions/beliefs when the underlying actions are already punishable under law, is overkill. speech, even vile speech, should be protected.

baseline bum
03-30-2012, 01:17 PM
So how does blue team feel about hate crimes being treated differently than "regular" crimes?

It's bullshit thought crime.

ChumpDumper
03-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Not the battle CC thought it was going to be.

Oh well, he got to spew some hate anyway.

GSH
03-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Agreed. Aggravating circumstances already have a way to be taken into consideration.

So you agree that "hate crime" should be off the table for George Zimmerman, too. Since it's unnecessary to begin with?

ChumpDumper
03-30-2012, 01:34 PM
So you agree that "hate crime" should be off the table for George Zimmerman, too. Since it's unnecessary to begin with?You can read, can't you?

CosmicCowboy
03-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Not the battle CC thought it was going to be.

Oh well, he got to spew some hate anyway.

:lol @ Chumps obsession with me...

faggot

GSH
03-30-2012, 01:36 PM
You can read, can't you?

That's two things you've gotten right in one day. A new record. :toast

ChumpDumper
03-30-2012, 01:38 PM
:lol @ Chumps obsession with me...

faggot

:lol:lol @ CC's homophobia

bigot

That's two things you've gotten right in one day. A new record. :toastSo have you figured out the answer to your question yet?

mavs>spurs
03-30-2012, 02:22 PM
she should be given an award tbh leave the old woman alone

Winehole23
03-30-2012, 02:58 PM
orange team says there's good historical reasons for hate crime law, though this law like many others is abused by prosecutorsthere's the question of what to do when justice miscarries locally or victims are otherwise left without a remedy for obvious wrongs. that's pretty much why federal civil rights actions arise.

I don't have a problem with civil rights actions generally, but with hate crimes specifically, because what they criminalize is not actions but intent/speech.

GSH
03-30-2012, 03:20 PM
there's the question of what to do when justice miscarries locally or victims are otherwise left without a remedy for obvious wrongs. that's pretty much why federal civil rights actions arise.

I don't have a problem with civil rights actions generally, but with hate crimes specifically, because what they criminalize is not actions but intent/speech.

I have to agree with you, Winehole (even though you usually have a way of turning it around when I do). When victims are left without a remedy for obvious wrongs. Like when the entire jury was white, and the defendant black. Something was needed to break the stranglehold of small town justice.

The problem is, when you leave anything in the hands of politicians long enough, they will find new and creative ways to twist it, until it's completely perverted. The law of unintended consequences, and all that. But by the time it gets to that point, it's usually near impossilbe to get rid of.

This case didn't have any business being classified a hate crime. And yet, at this point in history, it was automatic. And the guy who got hit with a cane believed he was entitled to it.

THAT was the point. Justice really is blind.

ChumpDumper
03-30-2012, 03:26 PM
I have to agree with you, Winehole (even though you usually have a way of turning it around when I do). When victims are left without a remedy for obvious wrongs. Like when the entire jury was white, and the defendant black. Something was needed to break the stranglehold of small town justice.

The problem is, when you leave anything in the hands of politicians long enough, they will find new and creative ways to twist it, until it's completely perverted. The law of unintended consequences, and all that. But by the time it gets to that point, it's usually near impossilbe to get rid of.

This case didn't have any business being classified a hate crime. And yet, at this point in history, it was automatic. And the guy who got hit with a cane believed he was entitled to it.

THAT was the point. Justice really is blind.Well it seems the attack wouldn't have happened had the victim not been gay. I'm not saying the law is a great one or should even exist, but since it does exist I can't think why its application here could be dismissed out of hand.

Is it because it's an old lady?

Oh, Gee!!
03-30-2012, 03:31 PM
call it "disturbing the peace" and call it a day. small fine and an 8-hr anger mgmt/sensitivy class. no way this should go forward as a felony

MannyIsGod
03-30-2012, 03:33 PM

1) a faggot
3) a minority*

SMH. Usually expect better out of you, CG.

z0sa
03-30-2012, 03:38 PM
LOL actually being hit and hurt by the strike of a 71 year old

lol running and locking the door because Granny attacked you

lol not just disarming Granny on his first miss and then taking her meager physical abuse instead of calling the cops

Winehole23
03-30-2012, 04:03 PM
hmm...dunno...hard to say if you weren't there...I've seen some hard ole grannies in this world...

z0sa
03-30-2012, 04:18 PM
hmm...dunno...hard to say if you weren't there...I've seen some hard ole grannies in this world...

:downspin:

Winehole23
03-30-2012, 04:37 PM
I don't care what you say, z0sa, I ain't takin on no 71 year old grannies with canes. Sorta look on it as my duty to retreat in a situation like that, and not to escalate. Overpowering grannies ain't my thing.

Winehole23
03-30-2012, 04:40 PM
retreating isn't the same as getting dominated. if she forcibly prevented you from retreating, perhaps there would be something to that.

Winehole23
03-30-2012, 04:42 PM
does it make you more of a he-man to throw down on granny, hemann?

GSH
03-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Well it seems the attack wouldn't have happened had the victim not been gay. I'm not saying the law is a great one or should even exist, but since it does exist I can't think why its application here could be dismissed out of hand.

Always, always, always with the attempt to put words in someone else's mouth. Always the presumption in the argument, that the other person's reasoning is stupidly flawed. You aren't as smart as you believe, and other people aren't as stupid as you tell yourself they are, Chump. You're a disturbed person.

No... it's not because she's an old lady. The hate crime statutes weren't made for a situation like this, and you know it. The crime was assaulting someone with a cane, and there are assault laws to take care of that. If the crime becomes saying something mean to certain people, and hurting their feelings, it becomes problematic.

It sounds like the old lady was mad because her grandson was moving in next door. I'm guessing she doesn't like the fact that the grandson is gay, and she is trying to blame the neighbor for "corrupting" him. (Just guessing, I know. But that's the way it looks.) Charge her with assault, slap a restraining order on her, and if she breaks it throw the book at her.

I actually heard the term "hate crime" brought up at the scene of an auto accident earlier this year. (Another one of those times where I wish i was making it up.) It's a meme that is getting a lot of traction, and it's already being used well beyond its intent. Social engineering is more art than science. We have to be bright enough to make some modifications, when it obviously gets off the tracks.

Blake
03-30-2012, 04:47 PM
GSH committing a butthurt crime

ChumpDumper
03-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Well it seems the attack wouldn't have happened had the victim not been gay. I'm not saying the law is a great one or should even exist, but since it does exist I can't think why its application here could be dismissed out of hand.

Always, always, always with the attempt to put words in someone else's mouth. Always the presumption in the argument, that the other person's reasoning is stupidly flawed. You aren't as smart as you believe, and other people aren't as stupid as you tell yourself they are, Chump. You're a disturbed person.Actually, that's why I put it in the form of a question. Your reasoning is far from clear here. You don't notice that because you're pretty emotional in your responses to me today. It's alright.

No... it's not because she's an old lady. The hate crime statutes weren't made for a situation like this, and you know it. The crime was assaulting someone with a cane, and there are assault laws to take care of that. If the crime becomes saying something mean to certain people, and hurting their feelings, it becomes problematic.

It sounds like the old lady was mad because her grandson was moving in next door. I'm guessing she doesn't like the fact that the grandson is gay, and she is trying to blame the neighbor for "corrupting" him. (Just guessing, I know. But that's the way it looks.) Charge her with assault, slap a restraining order on her, and if she breaks it throw the book at her.I'm not sure the statutes weren't made for situation like this, right or wrong. I mean, were it a 40 year old man with a cane doing the beating for the same reason in the same manner, doing much more damage or even killing the victim, would you still say it doesn't apply?

GSH
03-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Actually, that's why I put it in the form of a question. Your reasoning is far from clear here. You don't notice that because you're pretty emotional in your responses to me today. It's alright.

I'm not sure the statutes weren't made for situation like this, right or wrong. I mean, were it a 40 year old man with a cane doing the beating for the same reason in the same manner, doing much more damage or even killing the victim, would you still say it doesn't apply?

You really are pathetic. You say you don't think hate crime statutes need to exist, and then argue the other side. You're one of those people who just love to argue. I'll give you a hint - nobody likes those kinds of people.

I'm not going to play stupid games with you, Chump. If you don't believe in anything one way or the other, you're just here jerking off to an audience.

ChumpDumper
03-30-2012, 05:01 PM
You really are pathetic. You say you don't think hate crime statutes need to exist, and then argue the other side. You're one of those people who just love to argue. I'll give you a hint - nobody likes those kinds of people.I'm saying the statute does exist, so DAs are going to apply it. Sure, neither of us think it's a good law, but you're being unrealistic in thinking it will never be used because you don't like it.

I'm not going to play stupid games with you, Chump. If you don't believe in anything one way or the other, you're just here jerking off to an audience.You're being very immature here. I'm not even trying to make you dance like a puppet, but you seem to believe it's your role now.

Sorry.

Winehole23
03-30-2012, 09:27 PM
:lmao sounds like you want granny to throw you down

on the bed

you thought it, you said it, you laughed; completely self sufficient unit of hilarity.

Wild Cobra
03-30-2012, 09:45 PM
I can understand Assault with a deadly weapon combined with classing it as a "hate crime" having a life sentence, but really now... classing a cane as a deadly weapon?

My fists are more deadly than her cane.

Wild Cobra
03-30-2012, 09:47 PM

Yes, but the article stated:
According to Texas law, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon carries a maximum 20-year prison term. However, as a hate crime, the possible sentence increases to life behind bars.
I wonder if they are classing the cane as a deadly weapon, or if that is artistic journalism.

Wild Cobra
03-30-2012, 09:48 PM

A murder should be treated like a murder no matter what the motive. Same with a minor assault like this one.
So do I.

Hate is hate.

Why is it more hateful if against someone you hate who is a protected, special class?

Wild Cobra
03-30-2012, 09:50 PM
I think they love it, until they get caught on the wrong side of the stick.

ChumpDumper
03-30-2012, 10:40 PM
I think they love it, until they get caught on the wrong side of the stick.I think you didn't read the thread at all.

Winehole23
03-30-2012, 10:45 PM
he almost never does. it's hard to get used to. this time he fastened on a previous page, so hats off for reading a little bit, I guess...

Winehole23
03-30-2012, 10:47 PM
(Boont Amber Ale)

Wild Cobra
03-31-2012, 12:52 AM
he almost never does. it's hard to get used to. this time he fastened on a previous page, so hats off for reading a little bit, I guess...
Sorry you think that, but that's your bias. I simply responded to post 30 before reading the rest, and not very many so called "blue team" had responded yet.

Wild Cobra
03-31-2012, 12:53 AM
I think you didn't read the thread at all.
Think whatever you want. It's just one more piece of evidence that you are full of bullshit, or something worse.

Wild Cobra
03-31-2012, 12:56 AM
WH, CD...

Would you two reread post #69, and reconsider what you said about me not reading the thread?

Winehole23
03-31-2012, 12:59 AM
Sorry you think that, but that's your bias. I simply responded to post 30 before reading the rest, and not very many so called "blue team" had responded yet.post 30 is on a previous page, is it not?

Wild Cobra
03-31-2012, 01:12 AM
post 30 is on a previous page, is it not?

Yes, but you were agreeing I don't read the threads, and suggested I only read a little.

Winehole23
03-31-2012, 01:24 AM
Admit it: you're not a big reader. Not on this forum. You expose yourself nearly every time.

You're almost as bad as DarrinS, but your excuses are much funnier. So hats off for that . .

Winehole23
03-31-2012, 01:37 AM
look, I can believe you read a little bit WC but goddamn. you don't even read the shit you post sometimes.

ElNono
03-31-2012, 03:38 AM
On one hand:

Penalty-enhancement hate crime laws are traditionally justified on the grounds that, in Chief Justice Rehnquist's words, "this conduct is thought to inflict greater individual and societal harm.... bias-motivated crimes are more likely to provoke retaliatory crimes, inflict distinct emotional harms on their victims, and incite community unrest."

On the other:

Although there are fewer hate crimes directed against white people than against other groups, they do occur and are prosecuted. In fact, the case in which the Supreme Court upheld hate crimes legislation against First Amendment attack, Wisconsin v. Mitchell, 508 U.S. 476 (1993), involved a white victim. Hate crime statistics published in 2002, gathered by the FBI under the auspices of the Hate Crime Statistics Act of 1990, documented over 7,000 hate crime incidents, in roughly one-fifth of which the victims were white people. However, these statistics have caused dispute. The FBI's hate crimes statistics for 1993, which similarly reported 20% of all hate crimes to be committed against white people, prompted Jill Tregor, executive director of Intergroup Clearinghouse, to decry it as "an abuse of what the hate crime laws were intended to cover", stating that the white victims of these crimes were employing hate crime laws as a means to further penalize minorities.

Wild Cobra
03-31-2012, 04:27 AM
Admit it: you're not a big reader. Not on this forum. You expose yourself nearly every time.

You're almost as bad as DarrinS, but your excuses are much funnier. So hats off for that . .
If you want to believe that.

I come strait out when I jump near the end of a thread, or don't read long linked material. What you are accusing me of is flat out wrong. I went through and read this thread from the start. I don't know why your panties are in a bunch, or do you wish not to admit you jump to conclusions?

Wild Cobra
03-31-2012, 04:28 AM
look, I can believe you read a little bit WC but goddamn. you don't even read the shit you post sometimes.
Actually, I understand why people may think that. I will sometimes post material that appears to say differently than the point I'm making. I guess you guys just don't see the material I do within such pieces.

Winehole23
03-31-2012, 01:41 PM
my bad, WC. I was feeling uber cranky last night for some reason.

Blake
04-01-2012, 01:26 AM
cranky crime

Woo Bum-kon
04-01-2012, 01:42 AM
Some people just can't control their tempers.

Winehole23
04-01-2012, 03:00 AM
welcome to politics