PDA

View Full Version : A small part of why the Spurs own the Thunder this year..

Spursfanfromafar
03-30-2012, 03:37 PM
To beat the Thunder, you have got to offset the threats of Westbrook and Durant. Easier said than done. Durant has been Leonard's responsibility and he has been tackled well by someone like Ron Artest as well, but Westbrook has killed teams like the Lakers. Except he flopped against the Spurs. Here's evidence for how -

http://www.welcometoloudcity.com/2012/3/30/2913748/russell-westbrook-scoring-machine-knows-what-he-wants-wants-what-he-2012

"In the Spurs game, Westbrook took an unusually high number of jump shots from the same geometric sector. It is always to the left of the lane, always toward his off-hand (Westbrook is right-handed), and is never along the baseline. Do you think this happened by accident?"

DesignatedT
03-30-2012, 03:43 PM
IMO that's what you do against OKC. Take Durant out of the game as much as possible and let Westbrook beat you. That's the role he wants to play anyway. Guy thinks he's Jordan.

TJastal
03-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Is 13-27 against the lakers "far more efficient" than the 13-29 he posted against the spurs? That's 2 more misses in total if my math serves.

Spursfanfromafar
03-30-2012, 03:48 PM
More evidence from the games against the Spurs -

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/shooting.cgi?player_id=westbru01&year_id=2012&opp_id=SAS

jjktkk
03-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Sound strategy. Another positive, as far as guarding Durant, is Pop can throw jack on KD as well. The wildcard for the Thunder, imo, is Harden.

TJastal
03-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Sound strategy. Another positive, as far as guarding Durant, is Pop can throw jack on KD as well. The wildcard for the Thunder, imo, is Harden.

I think an even more important wildcard will be keeping OKC's bigs from getting offensive rebounds and second chances. Which Perkins and Ibaka have been doing quite well lately.

Tim and Tiago need to at least share some floor time together for the spurs to really keep the foundation leak proof. Of course, we all know that isn't going to happen any time soon, though.

DesignatedT
03-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Blair has his best games against OKC for some reason. Be interesting to see if he would get burn against them as well.

jrodriguez.Nb.Tx
03-30-2012, 04:05 PM
easy solution for stupid overrated james harden........................................
MAKE HIM GO RIGHT.

DesignatedT
03-30-2012, 04:07 PM
easy solution for stupid overrated james harden........................................
MAKE HIM GO RIGHT.

People have said this same thing about Manu for a decade.

T Park
03-30-2012, 04:11 PM
I think an even more important wildcard will be keeping OKC's bigs from getting offensive rebounds and second chances. Which Perkins and Ibaka have been doing quite well lately.

Tim and Tiago need to at least share some floor time together for the spurs to really keep the foundation leak proof. Of course, we all know that isn't going to happen any time soon, though.

Really? It's not?

Got a link to the story telling that?

DPG21920
03-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Ya...I'll link the insanely low amount of minutes they've logged together.

TJastal
03-30-2012, 04:16 PM
People have said this same thing about Manu for a decade.

I don't know what moves Harden has going right.. but from my observations Manu will go left 90% of the time, but that other 10% (usually at a critical juncture in the game) he'll instead fake and cross over to the right and leave his defender in the dust (who mind you was already shading him to go left and leaning in that direction).

It's pure joy to watch.

TJastal
03-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Ya...I'll link the insanely low amount of minutes they've logged together.

I guess we've come to that point where it's kosher to pretend they actually play meaningful minutes together on the court.

Let's just call it political correctness, spurstalk style. :lol

jrodriguez.Nb.Tx
03-30-2012, 04:21 PM
and manu gets all his points and assists off pick and rolls ( or draining a 3 in ur grill )
harden just catches and shoots or plays 1 on 1..
so MAKE HIS BITCH ASS USE THAT RIGHT HAND.
excuse my french.

Horse
03-30-2012, 06:31 PM
I believe harden is the key he gives us fits. durant is gonna get his and westbrook can be dealt with. The thing is we struggle with size and length. The thunder are long but not big and bulky so I think that's why we will beat them.

100%duncan
03-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Don't let harden take over their offense. Block the passage for Durant. And let Westbrick brick shots.

FromWayDowntown
03-30-2012, 09:05 PM
I'd be reluctant to say that the Spurs have owned the Thunder this year. The Spurs have won twice and by big margins on each occasion, but OKC was the only team in the building each of those nights playing the back end of a back-to-back.

The one time the Spurs played the Thunder on the second night of their own back-to-back, the Thunder were up 22 at the end of three quarters. Oh, and OKC was on the third night of a back-to-back-to-back in that circumstance.

There are some favorable matchups for the Spurs against the Thunder, but context means something too.

HarlemHeat37
03-30-2012, 09:07 PM
OKC's bigs have no ability to create their own offense, which allows Blair and Bonner to play extended minutes, without becoming liabilities to the extent that they are against other teams..

100%duncan
03-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Our bigs>OKC's
Manu>Harden
TP>Westbrook
and we have many guys that we can put to guard Acne

100%duncan
03-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Our bigs>OKC's
Manu>Harden
TP>Westbrook
and we have many guys that we can put to guard Acne

therealtruth
03-30-2012, 09:28 PM
OKC's bigs have no ability to create their own offense, which allows Blair and Bonner to play extended minutes, without becoming liabilities to the extent that they are against other teams..

Why would you want Bonner and Blair to play extended minutes instead of Diaw and Splitter?

Nathan89
03-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Why would you want Bonner and Blair to play extended minutes instead of Diaw and Splitter?

He never said he wanted that.

Spursfanfromafar
03-31-2012, 12:09 AM
I'd be reluctant to say that the Spurs have owned the Thunder this year. The Spurs have won twice and by big margins on each occasion, but OKC was the only team in the building each of those nights playing the back end of a back-to-back.

The one time the Spurs played the Thunder on the second night of their own back-to-back, the Thunder were up 22 at the end of three quarters. Oh, and OKC was on the third night of a back-to-back-to-back in that circumstance.

There are some favorable matchups for the Spurs against the Thunder, but context means something too.

Thats a good point. Scheduling has helped the Spurs against the Thunder as well.

TJastal
03-31-2012, 01:03 AM

They may not excel at creating their own offense but they'll have a field day getting 2nd chance rebounds for Durant/Westbrook/Harden. That's just as bad, IMO.

Spurs da champs
03-31-2012, 01:09 AM
They may not excel at creating their own offense but they'll have a field day getting 2nd chance rebounds for Durant/Westbrook/Harden. That's just as bad, IMO.

Tim's last 2 games against them he's averaged 17 boards against them & I don't recall many second chance points in those games. Perkins was a non factor in those games & Ibaka just gave the Spurs so many second chances with those overrated blocks. Assuming Tiago is gonna get some good minutes in the Playoffs I'm not all that concerned with their big's.

TJastal
03-31-2012, 01:31 AM
Tim's last 2 games against them he's averaged 17 boards against them & I don't recall many second chance points in those games. Perkins was a non factor in those games & Ibaka just gave the Spurs so many second chances with those overrated blocks. Assuming Tiago is gonna get some good minutes in the Playoffs I'm not all that concerned with their big's.

I agree, if Tiago and Tim recieve extended minutes the spurs are in good shape to keep the dam from sprouting leaks. Even better yet, extended minutes on the court together.

But as we have seen this year, Pop is reluctant to play the twin towers together at all for any reason.

anakha
03-31-2012, 02:24 AM
I agree, if Tiago and Tim recieve extended minutes the spurs are in good shape to keep the dam from sprouting leaks. Even better yet, extended minutes on the court together.

But as we have seen this year, Pop is reluctant to play the twin towers together at all for any reason.

Given their willingness to go small with Durant at the 4, I'm not sure going with the twin towers lineup against them is the best idea.

TJastal
03-31-2012, 02:49 AM
Given their willingness to go small with Durant at the 4, I'm not sure going with the twin towers lineup against them is the best idea.

http://www.82games.com/1112/1112OKC2.HTM

As you can see from the link, the thunder don't go small too often. In fact their top 7 five man units in terms of minutes played feature two traditional bigs.

When they do go small however, they are very effective. Pop best be careful and wary.

8FOR!3
03-31-2012, 09:01 AM
I'm confident that Ginobili and even Green will be able to give Harden fits defensively.

Kawhi's been doing a hell of a job against Durant, I'd like to think between him and Jax they can keep Durant in check.

Westbrook's a tough guard for Parker because he's big and physical, but Parker's having the better year and he's the more skilled player. I think he's quick enough to stay in front of him and force outside shots. Patty Mills is another one who's impressed me with his speed and quickness.