PDA

View Full Version : César E. Chávez March for Justice

SA210
03-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Tomorrow 8am @ Guadalupe and Brazos.

I'll be there :hat

Paul F. Chávez, son of the famed civil rights and labor leader César Chávez, gets the honors at Saturday's annual César Chávez March for Justice, the latest of several members of his family to serve as the event's grand marshal.

He'll be the first such honoree to watch participants march down the street newly named for his father.

He is president and chairman of the César Chávez Foundation (http://www.mysanantonio.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news%2Flocal_news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22C%C3%A9sar+Ch%C3%A1vez+Foundation%22), which operates numerous affordable housing projects throughout the Southwest, including in San Antonio and the Rio Grande Valley.
This week, from Phoenix where he was attending another celebration, he took a few questions.

Q: What remembrance of your father most stays with you?

A: My father was always very busy. We learned as children that we had to share him with the rest of the world. But he gave us consejos (advice) along the way. He told us to remember that the work is not like a baseball game. It doesn't end. The struggle only ends when we give up. If you think about it, it's liberating and empowering. It tells us that victory is in our own hands.

Q: How about a personal remembrance?
A: He was a very traditional mejicano and had a tremendous desire to spend more time with his family. I was talking to Julie (the labor leader's granddaughter Julie Chávez Rodriguez (http://www.mysanantonio.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news%2Flocal_news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Julie+Ch%C3%A1vez+Rodriguez%22), who works in the White House's Office of Public Engagement (http://www.mysanantonio.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news%2Flocal_news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Office+of+Public+Engagement%22)) recently about a time he took his grandchildren on a Sunday ride. They were singing and laughing. He wasn't a very good driver.

Q: What is your father's legacy?
A: That the lessons learned in the rural parts of the country apply to people of all walks of life. He went and rallied and got people to believe they were important, that the poorest among us could take on and beat the most powerful industry in California. My father's work transcends the farm workers' movement.

Q: What would he be saying about major issues of the day?
A: (On the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan) he believed violence never solves anything and to look harder at diplomacy. He would caution political leaders not to place the country's burdens on poor, working people and always remind us that we all have an obligation to be our brothers' and sisters' keepers.

Q: Where does the César Chávez federal holiday effort stand today?
A: It's something that, as a family, we would endorse. But it's not something we spend our daily time on. It's going to take some work to make it a reality. Eight states recognize César Chávez Day. In California, state employees have a day off. In schools, it's a day on, where children spend the morning learning about my father's life and the afternoon doing community service.

Q: In what shape is the UFW these days?
A: It's a difficult job, probably the most difficult job in labor. They continue the struggle on a daily basis. The UFW has signed a collective bargaining agreement with the largest strawberry grower in the United States. It goes back to my father's consejo, the struggle only ends when you give up. He didn't finish it in his lifetime, and we won't finish it in ours.

Q: Your father received some criticism over how he ran the UFW, especially in the book “The Union of Their Dreams” by Miriam Pawel (http://www.mysanantonio.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news%2Flocal_news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Miriam+Pawel%22). Would you respond?
A: My father was a human being. He worked in a difficult setting, and he had to make difficult decisions that needed to be made. But he never backed down from the obligations to help people in need.

[email protected]
Twitter: @ElaineAyala

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Ch-vez-s-son-is-grand-marshal-of-Saturday-s-march-3447498.php

The Cesar E. Chavez Legacy and Educational Foundation is proud to help keep the legacy and dream of Cesar Chavez alive for future generations. The people of San Antonio, Texas have been very receptive to the "Cesar E. Chavez March for Justice" and once again, we are proud to announce that the City of San Antonio is a co-sponsor of the 16th Annual Cesar E. Chavez March for Justice.
We invite you to join us in this historical event.

There is no question in my heart and in the hearts of the people who knew Cesar Chavez which side of the struggle he was on. Cesar showed us through his courageous examples that, "Si Se Puede" (Yes We Can), we can achieve great accomplishments through unity, perseverance, hard dedicated work and a good education.

I invite you on behalf of all the Cesar E. Chavez organizing committees to join us and march with us on Saturday March 31st, 2012 on what would have been the 85th Birthday of Cesar Chavez.

Morning assembly begins at 8:00 a.m. at the corner of Guadalupe and S. Brazos (located on the Westside by the Guadalupe Theater) and the march will begin at 10:00 a.m. to the Alamo. We will be making history by marching to inaugurate Cesar E. Chavez Blvd. We will be stopping briefly in the front steps of City Hall for a Special Declaration on Cesar Chavez Blvd. by our Mayor Julian Castro and honoring our special guest Grand Marshal Paul Chavez (Son of Cesar Chavez) and Ms. Lupe Ramos-Montigny.

Please join us in keeping Cesar E. Chavez's visions and dreams alive and make them a reality through our actions in the march and throughout the year.

In Unity,

Jaime P. Martinez
Organizer-Founder
Chairman of the Board
Cesar E. Chavez Legacy and Educational Foundation
Cesar E. Chavez March for Justice

Grand Marshal: Paul Chavez, the son of Cesar Chavez and President of the Cesar E. Chavez Foundation

http://www.facebook.com/events/322064637815358/

ChumpDumper
03-30-2012, 04:43 PM
So what justice are they marching for? I didn't see it above.

SA210
03-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Here is the route :hat

Si Se Puede!!

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/11/76/20/2614305/4/628x471.jpg

SA210
03-30-2012, 05:23 PM
qQndvfZyf7w

Halberto
03-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Seriously, who the fuck is Cesar Chavez? His road blows in Austin.

ChumpDumper
03-30-2012, 10:42 PM
It's like Out for Justice

It's volsteinThey might as well occupy something while they're down there.

CubanMustGo
03-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Good to see they're marching down Durango. :tu

SnakeBoy
03-30-2012, 11:35 PM
So what justice are they marching for? I didn't see it above.

Equal pay for lawn work.

Winehole23
03-31-2012, 12:15 AM
Seriously, who the fuck is Cesar Chavez? His road blows in Austin.the erstwhile 19th street. know it well. it ain't that bad.

ever been to the Y in Oak Hill or 183N or Mopac during rush hour...

Das Texan
03-31-2012, 09:23 AM
Glad the city will pay for this parade but not the St. Patrick's Day one.

Winehole23
03-31-2012, 12:00 PM
an embarrassing gaffe. got me, hemann.

CosmicCowboy
03-31-2012, 07:46 PM
And I just mowed grass and sprayed weeds instead of marching.

Guess that makes me a redneck.

Wild Cobra
03-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Agree with Chavez or not, he was a patriotic American and deserves to be honored.

Wild Cobra
03-31-2012, 10:04 PM
Bolshevism, sheer Bolshevism!
LOL...

If you say so. He fought for better pay for work. Most migrant workers were Hispanics, and many of them legal citizens like him and his family.

Did you know he voluntarily served in the Navy?

Do you cry "bolshevism" to anyone who likes unions?

SA210
03-31-2012, 11:50 PM
LOL...

If you say so. He fought for better pay for work. Most migrant workers were Hispanics, and many of them legal citizens like him and his family.

WC kickin some knowledge :tu

Aztecfan03
04-03-2012, 06:14 AM
Agree with Chavez or not, he was a patriotic American and deserves to be honored.

just sucks that in some california colleges he is honored but the presidents aren't.

bus driver
04-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Here is the route :hat

Si Se Puede!!
http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/11/76/20/2614305/4/628x471.jpg

Good to see they're marching down Durango. :tu

didnt we just pay 100K to rename the street for his ass and they dont even use it :pctoss fuckn bullshit

http://www.kens5.com/home/Goodbye-Durango-Street-signs-say-Cesar-E-Chavez-Blvd-127299393.html

Wild Cobra
04-03-2012, 01:37 PM
just sucks that in some california colleges he is honored but the presidents aren't.
How many presidents come from areas of heavy influence of Mexican-Americans? Mow many people of Mexican culture does our Mexican-American population have to honor? Do you want all 43 presidents honored? pick one, and someone else will want another, and another, etc. When does it end?

I didn't make my comment to defend Chavez. Just pointing out some little known information. In remembrance of him here in Portland, the city caused so much heartache. Already renamed a street Rosa Parks without the consent of those living there and most were furious. It's a big deal changing a street name. You don't just rewrite a map and make new street signs. The postal service has thousands of address changes to implement, businesses have so many cards, mailers, etc. to change, and it doesn't end there.

In the process, I learned more about this man of honor than I would have ever sought out. Anyway, the ended up renaming 39th St. to Caesar Chavez Blvd (st, or something.)

Wild Cobra
04-03-2012, 01:39 PM
didnt we just pay 100K to rename the street for his ass and they dont even use it :pctoss fuckn bullshit

http://www.kens5.com/home/Goodbye-Durango-Street-signs-say-Cesar-E-Chavez-Blvd-127299393.html

I'll bet it cost way more than $100k to rename a street. Maybe that's all the signs cost to make, but you think you can pay the union paid city workers only $100k to replace the signs?

How many signs were replaced?

bus driver
04-03-2012, 02:23 PM
How many signs were replaced?

1 too many, the damn street shouldnt have been renamed IMO

Wild Cobra
04-03-2012, 04:01 PM
1 too many, the damn street shouldnt have been renamed IMO
I disagree with renaming any street. A new street could have been named. Just don't disrespect the people who marched without knowing their reason.

spursncowboys
04-03-2012, 04:06 PM
LOL...

Many. He beat down the illegal scabs. He was very much against illegal aliens.