PDA

View Full Version : What does the "Spurs" mean?

goPaTTY!
03-31-2012, 12:21 PM
What does the "spurs" mean?? and what is with the logo replacing the 'u', i can't identify what it is... lol

TheSpurglar
03-31-2012, 12:27 PM
What does the "spurs" mean?? and what is with the logo replacing the 'u', i can't identify what it is... lol

This may help.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+a+spur%3F

Interrohater
03-31-2012, 12:27 PM
A spur is a smaller ridge coming off at an angle perpendicular to a mountain ridge.

will_spurs
03-31-2012, 12:30 PM
It's called the Spurs because all the other possibilities were too long:
The San Antonio Cowboy Hats
The San Antonio Bull Horns on a Car Hood
The San Antonio Blazing Saddles
The San Antonio Cow-Tippers

goPaTTY!
03-31-2012, 12:36 PM
ok cool, just thought spurs was like a made up word for the team or sumthin cuz ive never heard it before.

and naother question what does "lakers" mean in LA Lakers

Juggity
03-31-2012, 12:37 PM
"Spurs" isn't a made up word.

http://westernandwildlifewonders.com/shop/catalog/images/Arizona%20Spur.JPG

http://www.droversmercantile.com/photo/Heart_spur_lg.jpg

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_511/1276123621Yt9Cz1.jpg

http://img.ehowcdn.co.uk/article-new/ehow/images/a08/9b/3c/connect-spur-800x800.jpg

Small Fundamental
03-31-2012, 12:39 PM
ok cool, just thought spurs was like a made up word for the team or sumthin cuz ive never heard it before.

and naother question what does "lakers" mean in LA LakersIt's because before they were the LA Lakers they were the Minneapolis Lakers. Minnesota is the Great Lake State.

goPaTTY!
03-31-2012, 12:41 PM
It's because before they were the LA Lakers they were the Minneapolis Lakers. Minnesota is the Great Lake State.

y did they keep "lakers" if they moved.. arnt they in los angeles now??

Beaverfuzz
03-31-2012, 12:42 PM

Mom wants to use the computer now.

silverblk mystix
03-31-2012, 12:44 PM

Same reason that they claimed the Minneapolis championships...because they knew they would never catch Boston...so they tried to say they had also won those titles...

Only laker fans believe this is legit...

Rapper
S - staibity
P - passion
U - uniqueness
R - regin
S - superiority

pgardn
Its a painful way to motivate a large animal to follow commands.

giddy up...

Or, its just another of a million horsey accessories. Personally I am more fond of hoof picks. noun

NASpurs
03-31-2012, 12:46 PM
What's next, "how is babby formed?"

pgardn
03-31-2012, 12:48 PM
Same reason that they claimed the Minneapolis championships...because they knew they would never catch Boston...so they tried to say they had also won those titles...

Only laker fans believe this is legit...

Same thing as if OKC claimed Jack Sikma to be a savior. Or Gus Williams.

OKC ,by Laker standards, has already won a championship. BTW the championship Minn. Lakers were beaten by the Harlem Globe Trotters in one of the years they were champs I do believe... Back when there were 8 NBA teams.

pgardn
03-31-2012, 12:49 PM
Maybe it's Tottenham and not San Antonio

We are not hot.

spursince#99
03-31-2012, 12:53 PM
This may help.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+a+spur%3F

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

maverick1948
03-31-2012, 12:54 PM
For God's sake, Patty, if you ever date a cowgirl from Texas DON'T let her wear her boots and spurs to bed. Christ, that hurts something awful.

Or should I say "Crikey, mate, them spurs dig deep in your arse."

gospursgojas
03-31-2012, 01:06 PM
Dont know if the OP is serious....Do you really not know what a spur is?

EVAY
03-31-2012, 02:28 PM
Red McCombs originally brought the basketball team here from Dallas. Red's birthplace is Spur, Texas.

CitizenDwayne
03-31-2012, 02:44 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

Sleepy_Floyd
03-31-2012, 02:46 PM

Judging by the OP's name I would say he/she is from Australia, so it would be like us asking wtf does "throw another shrimp on the barby" mean. Apparently we gained alot of Aussie fans with Patty Mills :flag:

Obstructed_View
03-31-2012, 03:33 PM
A whole new country full of GNSF. Yay.

YoMamaIsCallin
03-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Judging by the OP's name I would say he/she is from Australia, so it would be like us asking wtf does "throw another shrimp on the barby" mean. Apparently we gained alot of Aussie fans with Patty Mills :flag:

They're actually called prawns down under. So the quote is stupid. No one in AUS has actually said this, ever.

Em-City
03-31-2012, 03:58 PM
we were actually gonna be called the San Antonio Gunslingers.. but the name was changed before we got to play a game.

TDMVPDPOY
03-31-2012, 04:18 PM
mods should ban australians from making threads, expecially the bandwagoners who came on board when mills was sign....

Obstructed_View
03-31-2012, 04:18 PM
They're actually called prawns down under. So the quote is stupid. No one in AUS has actually said this, ever.

It was changed for an Austrailan tourism commercial in the US, since it was believed that American tourists wouldn't know what the fuck a prawn was. To be fair, Paul Hogan orignally said it, though he was probably not in Australia when he said it.

rasho8
03-31-2012, 04:27 PM
Other teams with names that don't match...

Memphis Grizzlies, originally in Vancouver, where they actually have Grizzley Bears.
Utah Jazz, From New Orleans, birthplace of Jazz

goPaTTY!
03-31-2012, 04:29 PM
mods should ban australians from making threads, expecially the bandwagoners who came on board when mills was sign....

why should we get banned for supporting an aussie making it in one of the best teams in the NBA, let alone even making it to the NBA which is rare.. Patty deserves respect, even more so, because his doing it to rep Australia and Aboriginal kids..

So if you don't respect us, then I would seriouslyremove ur flag underneath ur avatar cuz its disgusting how you show no aussie spirit.

Leetonidas
03-31-2012, 04:47 PM
I thought TDMVPDPOY was asian?

Gagnrath
03-31-2012, 05:02 PM
A spur is a sharp projection from the main. As in a bone or mountain spur. Is the main. The seconadry is a motivational device for large animals typically horses. This is the meaning the team uses. Initially spurs were simply semi sharp projections worn on boots and this is still true in some areas, the projections on fighting birds are also called spurs. The version the team uses have a many pointed wheel called a rowel. Spur can also be used as a verb meaning to use a set of spurs and or to cause something.

gameFACE
03-31-2012, 05:20 PM
That ties in to the fact that the original chapparral had a "spur" projection. Also, original owners Angelo Drossos, John Schaefer and Red McCombs suffered from plantar fasciitis - i.e. bone spurs. So did Duncan a few years ago.

It all ties in.

pgardn
03-31-2012, 05:38 PM
why should we get banned for supporting an aussie making it in one of the best teams in the NBA, let alone even making it to the NBA which is rare.. Patty deserves respect, even more so, because his doing it to rep Australia and Aboriginal kids..

So if you don't respect us, then I would seriouslyremove ur flag underneath ur avatar cuz its disgusting how you show no aussie spirit.

Are we allowed to refer to him as Patrick?

NRHector
03-31-2012, 05:48 PM
Mom wants to use the computer now.

damn :lol