PDA

View Full Version : Camping in yellowstone

Pedobear1
03-31-2012, 11:52 PM
Tbh, I wanna go to yellowstone this summer with 3 buddies...just a tent, the three of us, and any food we bring along :lol

I've heard that you wanna put food on the perimeter of your camping spot so the bears don't come into your tent, true/false?

Also, what part of yellowstone should we go to (as it spans multiple states, we'd like to visit the most "remote" spot).

CubanSucks
03-31-2012, 11:55 PM
there a lot of preadolescents in Yellowstone?...

hehateme
04-01-2012, 12:50 AM
is the word "bear" code for angry fat mother?

Chris
04-01-2012, 12:57 AM
Watch out for that Super Volcano directly underneath Yellowstone, it's a doozy.

Landon Donofag
04-01-2012, 01:19 AM
Bears are the last thing you should be worrying about.

http://www.earthmountainview.com/yellowstone/yellowstone.htm

baseline bum
04-01-2012, 01:20 AM
The Thorofare (in SE Yellowstone) is widely credited as the most remote part of the lower 48. You have to hang your food.

Pedobear1
04-01-2012, 01:28 AM
The Thorofare (in SE Yellowstone) is widely credited as the most remote part of the lower 48. You have to hang your food.

Why would we hang our food, if we can climb a tree to hang it so can whoever is trying to steal our food...or in the case of bears, wouldn't it be best to just put our food like 15-20 yards from the tent so they stop at the food and not at our tent?

baseline bum
04-01-2012, 01:49 AM
In your case I might recommend keeping the food in the tent, tbh.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Why would we hang our food, if we can climb a tree to hang it so can whoever is trying to steal our food...or in the case of bears, wouldn't it be best to just put our food like 15-20 yards from the tent so they stop at the food and not at our tent?

Because they won't stop at the stashed food. Once they find some that is accessible, they'll trash your camp looking for more.

Hang the food high enough that they can't stand/extend and snag it (pretty damn high) , but on a branch that isn't big enough for them to climb out on and pull it up.

Girasuck
04-01-2012, 10:18 AM
You should just rent a cabin outside of Yellowstone and drive into the park each day. Who wants to sleep in a tent? Probably hippies.

baseline bum
04-01-2012, 11:57 AM
You should just rent a cabin outside of Yellowstone and drive into the park each day. Who wants to sleep in a tent? Probably hippies.

How can someone who lives in Utah hate sleeping in tents? Your state is like one big national park.

baseline bum
04-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Real talk man, grizzlies ain't to be flexed with, and Yellowstone provides poles to hang food on at their backcountry campsites (there is no dispersed camping in Yellowstone). You don't properly stash your food on the pole, you're just asking to either get mauled or get stuck miles from civiliaztion with shit to eat. The previous two years have been nasty when it comes to bear attacks in the area; I think four people have been killed in the summers of 2010 and 2011 in the area when I think there had only been 5 in the 30 years before then.

Pedobear1
04-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Real talk man, grizzlies ain't to be flexed with, and Yellowstone provides poles to hang food on at their backcountry campsites (there is no dispersed camping in Yellowstone). You don't properly stash your food on the pole, you're just asking to either get mauled or get stuck miles from civiliaztion with shit to eat. The previous two years have been nasty when it comes to bear attacks in the area; I think four people have been killed in the summers of 2010 and 2011 in the area when I think there had only been 5 in the 30 years before then.

We can't just set down camp anywhere in the woods, it has to be in a campground?

CubanMustGo
04-01-2012, 03:19 PM
We can't just set down camp anywhere in the woods, it has to be in a campground?

Read: http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/backcountryhiking.htm

CosmicCowboy
04-01-2012, 03:34 PM

:lmao

BUMP
04-01-2012, 03:35 PM

:lol

Girasuck
04-01-2012, 04:49 PM
How can someone who lives in Utah hate sleeping in tents? Your state is like one big national park.

That's why I pull my 5th wheel whenever we go camping, unless it's to our cabin in Island Park. I'm not sleeping in a tent.

MannyIsGod
04-01-2012, 09:18 PM
That's why I pull my 5th wheel whenever we go camping, unless it's to our cabin in Island Park. I'm not sleeping in a tent.

:lol Thats not fucking camping man.

Also, I have a feeling this thread is not going to end with a happy ending. We'll be reading about another bear attack next year. :lol

baseline bum
04-01-2012, 09:20 PM
:lol Thats not fucking camping man.

Also, I have a feeling this thread is not going to end with a happy ending. We'll be reading about another bear attack next year. :lol

Yeah, pretty sad that the grizzly would have to be put down after the attack.

MannyIsGod
04-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Its always sad because its almost always the peoples fault. People that go into those parks are god damn stupid.

MannyIsGod
04-01-2012, 09:23 PM
BTW BB, marked 3 more NPs off my list. Went to Death Valley, Grand Canyon and Petrified Forest over Spring Break. Death Valley was pretty damn boring, TBH.

baseline bum
04-01-2012, 09:25 PM
BTW BB, marked 3 more NPs off my list. Went to Death Valley, Grand Canyon and Petrified Forest over Spring Break. Death Valley was pretty damn boring, TBH.

Should have taken your ass to the eastern side of Kings Canyon when you were in the area.

BlackSwordsMan
04-01-2012, 09:25 PM
super volcano is gonna destroy more than half of america

baseline bum
04-01-2012, 09:34 PM

You go in the canyon at all?

baseline bum
04-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Its always sad because its almost always the peoples fault. People that go into those parks are god damn stupid.

Not always though. The two killings in 2010 weren't the fault of the victims. The first one the forest service dropped off a captured and drugged grizzly without putting out warning signs, so some hiker got mauled and killed nearby. The second one was a predatory attack when a mother killed and started feeding on a guy camping near Cooke City with her two cubs. One of the ones last year was some dumbass who thought he'd try to outrun a grizzly, so he fits the idiot tourist stereotype for sure.

MannyIsGod
04-01-2012, 10:12 PM
You go in the canyon at all?

No - didn't have much time. Plan on going back, soon, however. Its not too far from here and I want to go to the North Rim.

MannyIsGod
04-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Should have taken your ass to the eastern side of Kings Canyon when you were in the area.

:lol wanted to but didn't have time for that either. Gonna head back to Cali in the near future to do that and Yosemite.

baseline bum
04-01-2012, 10:32 PM
:lol wanted to but didn't have time for that either. Gonna head back to Cali in the near future to do that and Yosemite.

You thinking this summer? If you're going to Yosemite for hiking, it's a great year since the snowfall has been shit this winter. If you're going to see waterfalls, better make it no later than late June. Yosemite Falls is usually dry by late August or September, but this year it may be done by July.

CosmicCowboy
04-02-2012, 09:53 AM

http://www.conradaskland.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/bear-warning.jpg

CubanMustGo
04-02-2012, 10:07 AM
You thinking this summer? If you're going to Yosemite for hiking, it's a great year since the snowfall has been shit this winter. If you're going to see waterfalls, better make it no later than late June. Yosemite Falls is usually dry by late August or September, but this year it may be done by July.

What a change a year brings. We were there last June and the falls were still incredible due to the very heavy snowpack. The Tioga Pass road had just been opened and none of the facilities, trails, or camping areas were open due to the amount of snow still on the ground.

baseline bum
04-02-2012, 11:29 AM
What a change a year brings. We were there last June and the falls were still incredible due to the very heavy snowpack. The Tioga Pass road had just been opened and none of the facilities, trails, or camping areas were open due to the amount of snow still on the ground.

Yeah, last year was the heaviest snow year in almost 30 years there and Yosemite Falls never went dry (it almost always does by late summer). This year Tioga Pass Road didn't even close until late January (latest closing ever by more than 2 1/2 weeks). This is an image from this January

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/4313/sdomenow.jpg

Of course, this is what it looks like almost every other January

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6854/sdome1.jpg

August and September are almost always the best times of year if you want to do any of the hiking trails off Tioga Pass Road. If you do them in June you have slushy conditions and stream crossings in frigid cold water sometimes up to your chest; July is mosquito hell.

baseline bum
04-02-2012, 11:36 AM
http://www.conradaskland.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/bear-warning.jpg

LOL, man I fucking hate hikers who wear those annoying bells.

MannyIsGod
04-02-2012, 03:20 PM
I do too. Just make some damn noise but you don't have to sound like a sleigh.