PDA

View Full Version : Guy who didn't die at game tonight

chazley
04-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Between the first and second quarters tonight, a man in about the 5th row apparently had a heart attack and died. They carried him very awkwardly off the court and almost dropped him several times. Info that he died came from a friend who told me at halftime he asked a cop what happened and was told about tue death. Anyone have any more info?

Juanobili
04-01-2012, 12:28 AM
lame April Fool's joke?

chazley
04-01-2012, 12:31 AM
lame April Fool's joke?

Definitely not. It was pretty scary to watch, but it seemed most people in my section were oblivious about the situation.

ElNono
04-01-2012, 12:32 AM
Rip

TheSkeptic
04-01-2012, 12:36 AM
:toast

spurs10
04-01-2012, 12:38 AM
Hope he was having a good time before the attack.

jestersmash
04-01-2012, 12:39 AM
According to another poster (game thread), medics brought out an AED to the stands but did not initiate CPR. Instead, they carried him off awkwardly (like you said).

I'm highly skeptical of your friend's claim that the guy died. If they found the guy in the stands with no pulse, they would have immediately started CPR. You don't carry the person out awkwardly (no stretcher to boot) and then initiate CPR. Seconds matter.

The fact that they did not initiate CPR in the stands suggests to me that the guy's life wasn't in immediate danger (i.e. he must have had a strong pulse and normal breathing at the time medics found him in the stands). Otherwise, the actions of the EMTs would be utterly incomprehensible and inexcusable.

Sorry, but I think your friend probably just exaggerated the story/flat out lied for the sake of sensationalism. Or, the cop he talked to exaggerated or lied.

Manu-20
04-01-2012, 12:39 AM
heard about this during the game didnt think it was that serious R.I.P

jestersmash
04-01-2012, 12:41 AM
And, for the sake of the patient, I hope your friend is a liar. Better your friend be a liar than have a poor guy actually die during a game.

chazley
04-01-2012, 01:31 AM
According to another poster (game thread), medics brought out an AED to the stands but did not initiate CPR. Instead, they carried him off awkwardly (like you said).

I'm highly skeptical of your friend's claim that the guy died. If they found the guy in the stands with no pulse, they would have immediately started CPR. You don't carry the person out awkwardly (no stretcher to boot) and then initiate CPR. Seconds matter.

The fact that they did not initiate CPR in the stands suggests to me that the guy's life wasn't in immediate danger (i.e. he must have had a strong pulse and normal breathing at the time medics found him in the stands). Otherwise, the actions of the EMTs would be utterly incomprehensible and inexcusable.

Sorry, but I think your friend probably just exaggerated the story/flat out lied for the sake of sensationalism. Or, the cop he talked to exaggerated or lied.

Friend is highly trustworthy, so he probably just had a bad source. The way they carried him off was unbelievable. Hope we can find an official update on the story.

Obstructed_View
04-01-2012, 01:47 AM
Did a search and found a thread about a Tottenham fan who died in the stands. If both Spurs teams lost a fan in the stands on the same day that would be weird.

jestersmash
04-01-2012, 01:53 AM
Friend is highly trustworthy, so he probably just had a bad source. The way they carried him off was unbelievable. Hope we can find an official update on the story.

Yeah I hope the guy is O.K. too. I'm sure in the next couple of days we should be able to google "spurs fan dies" or "spurs fan dies at game" to see if any local news outlets covered it.

But, I think chances are the guy is O.K. There are just too many rare things that must have occurred for the entire incident to be consistent with the supposition that the man died.

First, you have the EMTs on the scene completely ignoring protocol by carrying the guy off without C-spine immobilization and without initiating CPR. Even if there was a physician on scene (maybe one of the team physicians) to diagnose "death" (The chance of this happening is <.0001%; it's far more likely that the man would have been immediately transported to the hospital via ambulance regardless), it's again unlikely that a mere cop would be privy to that information due to medical privacy rights.

I'm still a little peeved that the EMTs didn't follow proper C-spine immobilization protocol. Worst case scenario (the guy's having a heart attack and his life is in danger), EMTs should have rushed to the scene with a stretcher in hand and should've log rolled the patient on anyways and started CPR on the ambulance gurney en route to the hospital.

Best case scenario (the guy's life isn't in imminent danger) - C-spine immobilization should've been the priority.

TMTŪ
04-01-2012, 02:22 AM
I hope I'm at a Spurs game when I kick the bucket. Too bad the guy didn't atleast get to see the rest of the game.

Kori Ellis
04-01-2012, 02:41 AM
He didn't die.

A scary moment came late in the first half when a fan was stricken in the courtside seats and carried off the court to the dressing room by paramedics. Doctors who were involved in the treatment said the fan went into a diabetic shock but their condition improved after receiving treatment after leaving the court.
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/04/01/game-rewind-td-takes-blame-or-credit-for-those-ugly-socks/

chazley
04-01-2012, 02:45 AM
He didn't die.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/04/01/game-rewind-td-takes-blame-or-credit-for-those-ugly-socks/

Thanks Kori. Great news.

JRHernandez88
04-01-2012, 04:36 AM
Wow thought he actually died. I was wondering about that it was crazy to see live. Hope he's doing alright.

100%duncan
04-01-2012, 07:20 AM
He didn't die.

I'm very glad to see this. It's really weird and sad for someone to die during a game.

FromWayDowntown
04-01-2012, 07:42 AM
That was scary to see from the stands. It's great that it didn't turn out as badly as it looked like it might from a distance.

longtimelurker
04-01-2012, 08:53 AM
A scary moment came late in the first half when a fan was stricken in the courtside seats and carried off the court to the dressing room

great news he is ok...how cool would it be to come out of it in the dressing room tho!
"so this is what heaven looks like?!?"

Blake
04-01-2012, 09:09 AM
great news he is ok...how cool would it be to come out of it in the dressing room tho!
"so this is what heaven looks like?!?"

:pop:

xellos88330
04-01-2012, 09:35 AM
I was wondering what all that commotion was.

jag
04-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Chazley is so worthless

silverblk mystix
04-01-2012, 10:23 AM
This happened when Blair got a bloody nose...

and the fan saw Pop substitute Bonner instead of Tiago....

Can't say I blame the poor guy...

longtimelurker
04-01-2012, 12:08 PM
and in your fantasy is pop dressed or undressed :lol

I know that most of these posters of this ilk are probably teenagers, but it sounds like you need to address your homophobic issues about why does everything have to be related to being gay :rolleyes.

my2sons
04-01-2012, 01:14 PM
I heard the same thing, but he was missing a foot.