PDA

View Full Version : Matt Bonner is UNDERRATED.

jrodriguez.Nb.Tx
04-01-2012, 01:31 AM
idk why err body hates on him...
he spreads the floor out by all the 3's he makes, and when hes on the floor he usually plays the power foward position so the other teams power foward has to come out the paint and always has to be near him, which they usually dont because there waiting in the paint trying to protect the rim or get rebounds; which means a red rocket 3.
or it takes one less big man ( frm the other team ) out the lane for tim and tony ( or whoevers on the floor ) to do their thing.
hes lyk top 5 in the league in 3 pointers and he plays pretty solid D
( lyk tonight vs David west )
i say hes an important asset.
:toast

freetiago
04-01-2012, 01:38 AM
until he urinates himself in the playoffs and teams can leave him wide open knowing hell miss it
or they actually start caring to close him out and have some kind of scheme to stop his shot
then it becomes 4v5
tiago>blair+bonner

in 15 mins outplayed both bonner and blair combined tonight when they each had 24 mins

Juggity
04-01-2012, 01:38 AM
Let's wait to call him underrated until after we see his postseason play this year

Sean Cagney
04-01-2012, 01:41 AM
STFU in crunch time he will shoot an airball or a brick and later in the year he usually goes into playoff form before the playoffs! LOL at BONNER UNDERRATED! He is some shyt later in the year and has been for years now, until then he is shit.

I am not a fan and will not be until he proves otherwise when it counts.

TDMVPDPOY
04-01-2012, 01:43 AM
go make a sammich

capek
04-01-2012, 01:47 AM
:nope OP, mod said in another thread NO April Fools jokes! :nope

jrodriguez.Nb.Tx
04-01-2012, 01:47 AM
some spurs fans are hating on him as we speak tho.. uve seen all the shit they say
and i jus dont see why
?????????????????
but i must admit.. if he dont do shit in the playoffs ( lyk last year )
then hate on.

jrodriguez.Nb.Tx
04-01-2012, 01:55 AM
and im not sayin hes a fckin mvp canidate or anything..
jus sayin the man deserves a lil respect.

ElNono
04-01-2012, 01:57 AM
Fuck yo ginger clown

Interrohater
04-01-2012, 01:58 AM
Fuck yo bad grammar clown

Manudona
04-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Fuck yo'all Bonner haters.

Paranoid Pop
04-01-2012, 02:04 AM
:nope OP, mod said in another thread NO April Fools jokes! :nope

:lol

dunkman
04-01-2012, 02:10 AM
Is that you, Matty ? ? ?

Blake
04-01-2012, 02:19 AM
Bonner spreads the floor?

TDMVPDPOY
04-01-2012, 02:28 AM
so how do you like bonners dick in ur sammich served?

TheSkeptic
04-01-2012, 02:39 AM
Underrated? No.

Nobody disputes his effectiveness in the regular season. It's the playoffs that have everybody concerned.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-01-2012, 02:54 AM
The nice thing about our depth this year is that if Bonner does crap himself in the playoffs as usual, Pop has plenty of other options to go to (Diaw, Jax, Splitter, depending on matchup and our lineup). Depth increases Pop's ability to be flexible. Let's hope he uses it.

freetiago
04-01-2012, 03:13 AM
cant hope with pop
to stubborn
he actually closed a game out with blair
hes officially lost it

angelbelow
04-01-2012, 04:02 AM
Underrated? No.

Nobody disputes his effectiveness in the regular season. It's the playoffs that have everybody concerned.

Well put.

I don't think Bonner is underrated or hated around here. Sure there are a lot of uneducated and trollish comments directed towards Bonner but who really cares or pays attention to those?

The bottom line is that Bonner is a really good 3/4th big to have because he provides an unique skill set. And props to Bonner because hes made some improvements to his game this season. Hes added a nice dribble drive and shot, and hes improved his post defense. Which actually gives me some confidence that he could end up contributing in the playoffs this year. However, I thought that last year... and the year before that one. Hes a consistent choker so we have to be careful with how we use him in the playoffs. Utilized for 12-18 minutes and might prove to be effective - play him anymore and you risk the opposing team exploiting his weaknesses.

Splits
04-01-2012, 04:25 AM
He's not underrated. People on this board who call themselves Spurs fans hate him, but that doesn't mean that normal people and true fans don't appreciate what he brings.

He has a ring.

He was the 2nd leading 3pt shooter in the Memphis series last year (behind RJ)

He was the 2nd leading FG% shooter in the Memphis series last year (behind Splitter)

There is a giant myth on SpursTalk that he is a poor defender. He is average.

His skill set is no mystery, he is very consistent if you take into consideration his limitations.

JRHernandez88
04-01-2012, 04:29 AM
I agree wih you man on everything but like they said he still hasn't came through when it matters. Yeah we want rg season wins but the playoffs is all that counts.

Spursmania
04-01-2012, 04:52 AM
Bonnet has never proven himself in the playoffs. He plays well during the regular season then his balls shrivel up during the playoffs.

There's always this year to prove himself-I would love for him to prove us all wrong and kick ass during the playoffs. But then again, I say this every year. And, he has never showed up and played like he does during the regular season when he's hitting 3's.

Splits
04-01-2012, 04:59 AM
And, he has never showed up and played like he does during the regular season when he's hitting 3's.

He was 6/18 (33%) from 3 in the playoffs last year. Below his 45% season average, but not abysmal. The only player who shot better from 3 was RJ.

He was 10/27 (37%) from 3 in the 2010 playoffs. A tad below his 39% season average, but not abysmal.

therealtruth
04-01-2012, 05:13 AM
He was 6/18 (33%) from 3 in the playoffs last year. Below his 45% season average, but not abysmal. The only player who shot better from 3 was RJ.

He was 10/27 (37%) from 3 in the 2010 playoffs. A tad below his 39% season average, but not abysmal.

People expect him to shoot better because he doesn't shoot unless he's wide open. Wide open playoff 3's are a scarce commodity that you have to hit. Basically the defense is leaving him open to pack the lane and he's not making them pay.

siraulo23
04-01-2012, 05:51 AM
the guy is a stud

http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/

Plus-minus Stud: Matt Bonner (SAS) was a plus-47 in three games last week.

100%duncan
04-01-2012, 07:28 AM
:pop::Good job, boy.

Rapper
04-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Bonner is by far one of the best 3 pointer in NBA

100%duncan
04-01-2012, 07:32 AM
Bonner is by far one of the best 3 pointer in NBA

Does he add more points than a regular 3?

bigfan
04-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Right now we have the best team we've had in ages, including Bonner. He has disappointed at times but with a team this diverse its great to have him here right now. Just imagine how much opposing teams look forward to his 3 pointers.

Sean Cagney
04-01-2012, 10:48 AM
some spurs fans are hating on him as we speak tho.. uve seen all the shit they say
and i jus dont see why
?????????????????
but i must admit.. if he dont do shit in the playoffs ( lyk last year )
then hate on.

It's more than just last years playoffs, sadly those were one of his best shooting wise :wow:rollin. He has sucked for years in the playoffs, it has shown at times in the crunch this year as well! This is not a wait and see anymore this is the final straw.

Penya
04-01-2012, 11:36 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/1zefo1l.gif

The Weiner
04-01-2012, 11:48 AM
^^^^^
That was a legit offensive foul. If Bonner would have done something terrible like bang his big dumb fuckin body into Timmy's knees, I would have lost it.

Borosai
04-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Bonner has taken one too many shits on the peoples of SpursTalk. You can wash it out of your hair, but not out of your mind.

Mugen
04-01-2012, 01:20 PM

:lol @ 45% to 33% not being "abysmal". That's a huge fucking dropoff when the games actually count.

ElNono
04-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Not to mention that's largely what he brings to the team... if he's not shooting at a high clip, there's simply better players to give him his minutes..

DieHardSpursFan1537
04-01-2012, 01:27 PM
April Fools motha fucka's.

elemento
04-01-2012, 01:35 PM
How the heck 45% to 33% is not abysmal ?

We all know what's going to happen in the playoffs and then i will love to bring this topic up.

Bonner is good for some matchups in the regular season. His slow release kills him in the playoffs.

jag
04-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Splitman4evah has quietly brought some of the worst (serious) takes to the Spurs forum for a while now. He's usually under the radar because no one cares what random GNSF says, but dammit he's horrible.

Keepin' it real
04-01-2012, 02:11 PM
And you, my good man, are a VERY underrated troll. Props to you.

idk why err body hates on him...
he spreads the floor out by all the 3's he makes, and when hes on the floor he usually plays the power foward position so the other teams power foward has to come out the paint and always has to be near him, which they usually dont because there waiting in the paint trying to protect the rim or get rebounds; which means a red rocket 3.
or it takes one less big man ( frm the other team ) out the lane for tim and tony ( or whoevers on the floor ) to do their thing.
hes lyk top 5 in the league in 3 pointers and he plays pretty solid D
( lyk tonight vs David west )
i say hes an important asset.

slick'81
04-01-2012, 03:54 PM
bbb we can still get a first rnd pick for him right

Manudona
04-01-2012, 04:21 PM
How the heck 45% to 33% is not abysmal ?

We all know what's going to happen in the playoffs and then i will love to bring this topic up.

Bonner is good for some matchups in the regular season. His slow release kills him in the playoffs.

Because of the sample size. His regular season 3PG was 3.5, his playoff was 3.0, so if he had attempted the same as RG, that would have been 3 more shots, by making only 2 of 3 his % would have been 0.400, hitting the 3 of them his % would have been .430, very close to his RG avg of 0.457, and mind you that 0.457 was calculated including games vs the worst teams of the NBA, as someone mentioned it role player's % would drop against the better teams. So you guys are blaming the play-offs failure to a guy that had made 3 more three pointers he would have been in his avg, and one of the best in the game at that...

chazley
04-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Love seeing all the Bonner love after I defended him for 2 years straight with ZERO support. Good to see people are starting to realize what I did years ago. Much of what I have written past few years has made me look like a prophet, with some minor exceptions.

thOOdee
04-01-2012, 06:29 PM
bonner will still choke come playoffs...seen this shit before....just hope pop realizes sooner then he did last year and the year before. oh and the year before.

TDMVPDPOY
04-01-2012, 07:16 PM
i dunno what some of the clowns on here expect out of the 3m dollar man, for his production and effort is still better then the other turd small big on the team...

seems like u guys expect him to score +15pts or someshit

cherylsteele
04-01-2012, 09:04 PM
He's not underrated. People on this board who call themselves Spurs fans hate him, but that doesn't mean that normal people and true fans don't appreciate what he brings.

He has a ring.

He was the 2nd leading 3pt shooter in the Memphis series last year (behind RJ)

He was the 2nd leading FG% shooter in the Memphis series last year (behind Splitter)

His skill set is no mystery, he is very consistent if you take into consideration his limitations.
He has a ring. So does Andrew Gaze. Having a ring doesn't give someone like Bonner a pass.

He was the 2nd leading 3pt shooter in the Memphis series last year (behind RJ) So, look what happened, the Spurs lost because his defense was atrocious.

No, he is still below average, he has gotten better, couldn't really get much worse, but is still a poor defender.

His skill set is no mystery, he is very consistent if you take into consideration his limitations. This is one of the main problems, teams dare him to shoot in the playoffs and he chokes. He is pretty much a one trick pony.

Drz
04-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Spurs 2011 Playoffs Leader in Win Shares per minute?

MATT F**KIN' BONNER

Suck it, haters. Grow a brain.

So tired of the IDIOTS on this forum who spout the "Waaaaahhh, Bonner, Playoffs, waaahhhh" nonsense. You sound like the long-haired douche in the Bud commercial, whining about sh!t you know nothing about. Disgrace to San Antonio, seeing this forum populated by stupid people.

:flag:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2011.html

Spurtacus
04-01-2012, 09:15 PM
I heart Bonner's pumpfake.

elemento
04-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Because of the sample size. His regular season 3PG was 3.5, his playoff was 3.0, so if he had attempted the same as RG, that would have been 3 more shots, by making only 2 of 3 his % would have been 0.400, hitting the 3 of them his % would have been .430, very close to his RG avg of 0.457, and mind you that 0.457 was calculated including games vs the worst teams of the NBA, as someone mentioned it role player's % would drop against the better teams. So you guys are blaming the play-offs failure to a guy that had made 3 more three pointers he would have been in his avg, and one of the best in the game at that...

Your math is fine until the point that you forget to mention why he doesn't get a lot of 3 attempts in the playoffs. Simply because teams plays tight defense in the playoffs and good defensive teams won't let Bonner open for a 3.
Bonner needs to be completely open to get his 3s. He won't shoot off the dribble or shoot over someone. His low/slow release works in the regular season because we play against crap teams with lazy rotations. Once we play against elite teams, Bonner will be useless as usual.

The same morons defending Bonner here because of our success in the regular season so far will be the same morons that will be begging for Splitter in the playoffs, just like last season.

Anyway ..i will be here in the playoffs and we'll see who is right and who's wrong.

100%duncan
04-01-2012, 10:39 PM
But but... at least he has a new move. The "Tear Drop"

z0sa
04-02-2012, 03:39 AM
Who cares about his clutch shooting?? If he can hit 3 threes in the first three quarters and play good defense, that'll probably be more than enough. This is not last year's team.

TJastal
04-02-2012, 03:47 AM
Who cares about his clutch shooting?? If he can hit 3 threes in the first three quarters and play good defense, that'll probably be more than enough. This is not last year's team.

Not exactly last year's team, but only by a slight variation. Now instead of watching Bonner's pants sag 3 inches from the clump of shit he routinely passes, (from that ham and salamni he ate two hours before the game) we'll instead get treated to watching Blair make critical turnovers and force bone headed shots.

mkurts
04-02-2012, 05:20 AM
Bonner has developed some lethal post moves and hit some awesome banking floaters too, and he shoots the 3 better than anyone else in the league, so he should get ~30 minutes a game to anchor the team.

I say when the game gets close give Bonner the ball and watch him make a fadeaway clutch 3 that nails the game.

TheSkeptic
04-02-2012, 05:22 AM
Bonner has developed some lethal post moves and hit some awesome banking floaters too, and he shoots the 3 better than anyone else in the league, so he should get ~30 minutes a game to anchor the team.

I say when the game gets close give Bonner the ball and watch him make a fadeaway clutch 3 that nails the game.

I think you're overrating Bonner a little bit.

sventhedog
04-02-2012, 08:13 AM
of course he is underrated, he's a scapegoat.