PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, you heard right: Pistons will win Game 6

td4mvp3
06-21-2005, 11:20 AM
By Tony Mejia
CBS SportsLine.com Staff Writer

SAN ANTONIO -- You've no doubt come to your own conclusions, but go ahead and ask me who's going to win Game 6 of the Finals. I have an answer you probably wouldn't expect: Deee-troit basketball.

It doesn't matter that the Pistons had to leave prized P.A. announcer John Mason home and fly to a place where they haven't won in eight years -- a span of 10 games. It doesn't matter that the manner in which they lost Game 5 would leave most teams demoralized.
What does matter is that these are the defending champions and they're so used to triumph amid adversity that you almost think they wish it upon themselves, just to revel in the challenge. Hmm ... maybe that's why Rasheed Wallace chose to leave Robert Horry open when no one else would.

San Antonio's Sunday night victory at The Palace of Auburn Hills was monumental considering how it was accomplished, taking into account the venue and circumstances. Winning a tie-breaking Game 5 in such hostile territory was special, but had it not been for Horry's heroics, the Spurs would have headed home facing a pair of must wins.

Instead, they have a little leeway, like a golfer up a couple strokes at a major. A bogey wouldn't kill them. That's one reason you can take San Antonio's advantage at the SBC Center in Game 6 and toss it right out the window.

We're well aware that the Spurs lost only three games there during the regular season, boasting the NBA's top home record. Discard that.

The differing mindsets are the overriding factor. The Pistons are angry and frustrated, and that's usually when they respond best. They let a game slip away, but the season won't be next. At least not immediately.

"We're going into a hostile environment and it's win or go home," Chauncey Billups said. "It's 3-2. If we can't have energy down 3-2, facing elimination, we shouldn't be there."

The Spurs heaved a gigantic sigh of relief Sunday night after escaping with such a critical win. Tim Duncan, who shot 4-for-11 from the line, avoided the nightmare of being forever responsible for helping a title potentially slip away. Though there's no doubt he'll come out focused, that margin for error serves as a great equalizer.

"One would think that it is a pretty emotional experience for players at this particular point," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who is preaching the importance of snuffing out the Pistons while San Antonio has the chance. "To stay poised is very important, and to understand how we got here and how we have to play. It isn't like we kicked anybody around in Detroit. I think they got the better of us in Detroit."

Remember, this has been a series in which intensity and aggressiveness have dictated the action. Whenever a team has needed to win, be it to hold home court like San Antonio in Games 1 and 2, or to rally like Detroit did in Games 3 and 4, it has prevailed emphatically. Game 5 was the true swing game, and that's why it unfolded like it did.

I'm not knocking San Antonio's air of invincibility at home. The Spurs have fabulous fans, a flock of whom greeted the team at the airport upon their arrival from Detroit. Facts are facts: The Spurs have won 46 of 51 home games, counting playoffs. Do, however, consider they are fallible.

San Antonio faltered against Denver in its postseason opener, and again in the result that should give all Pistons fans hope: Game 4 of the Western Conference finals. The Spurs came out flat in a game in which they should have put the Suns away.

"They had a good game. I am not going to be so stupid and not say that," Manu Ginobili said after that 111-106 loss on May 30. "But at the same time, same thing I always say, we let them get it going. ... We just were not as focused as we should. They played better and we played worse."

The Pistons have won on the road in every series except these Finals, which includes critical games against Philadelphia when the Sixers were threatening to tie things up, in Indiana to avoid going down 3-1 and then to win the series, and in Games 1 and 7 in Miami.

"You have to look at it as a great opportunity. They are a great team and you have to respect what they did," Pistons coach Larry Brown said. "Robert made a huge shot. We had our chances and didn't get it done but this team has always fought back. "

It happened to us last year; we had some bumps along the way. I remember Game 5 against New Jersey, losing in triple overtime. I think I probably felt the same way as I do now. I think that was one of the greatest games I have been involved with. But we managed to bounce back and we have to try to do it again.

"A good friend of mine called me this morning and reminded me about the Red Sox. They had to go into Yankee Stadium and win two and they weren't the defending champs, so I am confident our guys will show up and play our best game."

The Pistons thrive in critical situations. Tuesday night will be no different.
---

i think the pistons depend too much on that mentality of their backs-against-the-wall and shouldn't reasonably expect ben wallace to score double digits on the road (he's done it 3 times in the last 11 pistons road games). duncan's shown that his game is back and that was in detroit, he should murder folks at home as should ginobilli. prince, mcdyss and hunter have all faded on the road, as well. and game 7 in miami was still a toss up despite wade's injury. the difference between phoenix and detroit is that phoenix was far and away a better road team (best in the league) and denver was the best team in the season's second half, while detroit's been dicey all year on the road. here's hoping it's over tonight.

Pistons < Spurs
06-21-2005, 11:22 AM
Exactly.

ALVAREZ6
06-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Should I even read this article?

Spurs in 6.

geerussell
06-21-2005, 11:24 AM
This year and last year detroit has stepped up on the road in the playoffs. Pistons in 7.

FromWayDowntown
06-21-2005, 11:25 AM
FWIW -- Pop is 16-5 (.762) all-time in close-out games, and 5-2 (.714) at home in that situation.

rl64tx
06-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Popovich is NBA's best coach
Mike Kahn / Special to FOXSports.com
Posted: 13 hours ago

As hard as it is to believe, there was more to this than Robert Horry.

Sure, the NBA Lord of the Rings, angling for his sixth jewel on his third team, was spectacular. Horry's 21 points in the final 17:01.1, including the game-winning 3-pointer with 5.8 seconds left, dominated the San Antonio Spurs' 96-95 win over the Detroit Pistons Sunday night.

But let's take a deep breath for a moment and recognize what happened between mentor and pupil. Horry's play notwithstanding, coach Gregg Popovich's Spurs head home with a 3-2 lead over the defending champions, coached by his benefactor to the NBA, Larry Brown.

For the previous five days heading into Game 5, the dominant conversation centered around Brown's seven series win streak with the Pistons and how he had turned an 0-2 series into 2-2 with the Pistons gaining a stranglehold on the momentum. And that's not to mention that he entered Game 5 with a 99-87 playoff record with the milestone 100 just an eyelash away.

Well folks, that momentum has evaporated. It was gone shortly after tip off, and even if the Pistons had won Sunday night's game, it isn't as if they were a lock to win the series anyway. It's no small issue that they've lost 13 in a row in San Antonio and haven't won a game there since April 2, 1997.

But there's more to this than just history or the friendship between the two men anchored in Pop working for Brown as an assistant with the Spurs from 1988-92.

They both know defense wins, and a defensive adjustment by Popovich late in the game cost the Pistons as much as anything. With Bruce Bowen already having forced Rip Hamilton into playing about 300 RPMs too fast to be effective, Popovich switched Bowen over to Chauncey Billups at the end of regulation and into overtime.

Not only did it throw off Billups' rhythm — as the brilliant defense of Bowen's tends to do to everyone — but the Pistons tried too hard to get the 6-foot-6 Hamilton to utilize his size advantage over the 6-2 Tony Parker.

The timing of the adjustment was brilliant.

"Bruce sets such a tone for us by doing what he does night after night after night," Popovich said. "Last night we asked him to do something that was a little different down the stretch, and I think that he responded very well. It is really important for us to have that individual on the team. He knows what his strengths are and he sticks with them. He doesn't get paranoid about the things that he doesn't do. We call zero plays for him. I think that the last time we called a play for him was a couple years ago. Most players can't handle that. You have to at least throw them a bone. He has had no bones."

The Spurs' Bruce Bowen sent Pistons guard Richard Hamilton scrambling to find his offense in Game 5 of the finals. (Ronald Martinez / Getty Images)

That's because Popovich isn't big on tossing out bones. He and his players know that all the accolades anyone needs come after the championship is won. Bowen, Parker, Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili were each a part of the 2003 championship. Duncan was there in 1999. Should Popovich get his third ring, he would join Red Auerbach and Phil Jackson (nine); and Pat Riley and John Kundla (four), as the only coaches n NBA history to win more than two titles.

Not even Brown has done that, and even though so many people have been all over Rasheed Wallace for leaving Horry to trap Ginobili on the decisive trey, Brown takes full accountability.

"Ultimately it's the coach," Brown said. "You can go over things over and over again, but you have to be relentless in making people understand. I think he's trying to make the right play, it just happened."

And you can bet Popovich was relentless in getting the Spurs into the right mindset Sunday after losing the previous two games by an average of 24 points. They were out-rebounded by the Pistons for the first time since Game 1 and had 19 offensive rebounds compared to 22 in the previous two games combined.

Preparation is a huge part of coaching, but not as vital as getting the message across to the player so they can perform. It's the strength that both of these teams have shown through their coaches. It has to be tough for the Pistons to buy into Brown's conviction considering everyone agrees he will no longer be the Pistons coach after this week.

He'll either get out of coaching and go into the front office in Cleveland due to health reasons, or he'll be coaching the New York Knicks if he get the OK to return to the sidelines. As great a tactician as he is, he causes his own "tsoris" — to steal the Yiddish term he used last week — because there is always tumult around Larry Brown.

There are never any questions about where Popovich is coming from. He's stone cold straight in every move he makes and there is never a question about where he's going to coach from year to year. As the most underrated coach in professional sports, it took way too long for everyone to realize how special he is.

He now is 68-40 in the postseason as a coach; that .629 winning percentage is second only to Jackson (.717), and Riley (.608) is the only other coach in history to win at least 60 percent of his playoff games. Popovich also is 455-233 during the regular season, a .661 winning percentage that gave him the best winning percentage of any active coach this past season and tied him with Riley for fifth all time.

Sports Illustrated did a poll of the players before the playoffs on which coach they would most like to play for and Popovich won. There is no nonsense and all he requires is you play hard, listen and can handle a tongue-lashing.

It ain't easy, but at least — as Allen Iverson would say — you always know it's real.

So if you're wondering who's going to win Game 6 Tuesday night — or even this series — go with the more stable situation. Indeed, Larry Brown is one of the great quick-fix coaches in history, as well as the only coach to ever win NBA and NCAA titles.

But with the need to win just one more game to take this series, Brown needs to get the full attention of all the players for what needs to be accomplished. You'd better believe the players know the Pistons' history and they'd better not give them life after Game 6. That's because their coach won't allow it.

Sorry Larry ... Pop's the guy. Your pupil has learned his lessons well. His third ring will fit like a glove.

Veteran NBA writer Mike Kahn is a frequent contributor to FOXSports.com.
:spin

NoMoneyDown
06-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Two things ...

1. San Antonio lost the Denver at home in the first game of the playoffs. Key phrase "first game of the playoffs." Game #6 of the finals is not the first game of the playoffs, HUGE difference.

2. San Antonio lost to Phoenix at home after enjoying a cushy 3-0 advantage. San Antonio has a slim 3-2 lead over a fierce Detroit team. Don't think San Antonio is going to approach this game the same as with Phoenix's game #4.

td4mvp3
06-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Should I even read this article?

Spurs in 6.

it's not bad, really, mostly adheres to what every analysts trots out every time the pistons are down in a series: they are resilient and that's the main reason they will win the game they must. which is silly, really, and simply says the pistons give folks a chance to beat them. hell, one injury and that strategy goes to poop. but the other thing to remember is that this guy said the spurs would win in 7, so i'm sure he's just covering his guess. he's actually had the spurs winnign it all from the start of the playoffs and has the best win-loss predictions for their site.

romsho
06-21-2005, 11:28 AM
Exactly.

You hope. Don't count on the Spurs being flat- the only thing they are happy about is that the Auburn Hills hackfest is over-prepare to have the hammer dropped on you tonight.

samikeyp
06-21-2005, 11:29 AM
The Pistons thrive in critical situations. Tuesday night will be no different.

yes and as Game 5 proved...the Spurs do not....guess we don't have to watch tonight since the outcome has already been decided. :rolleyes

nkdlunch
I'm officially tired of Pistons claiming to like having their backs against the wall. Spurs you have the green light to wipe the floor w/these punks.

goliath
Two things ...

1. San Antonio lost the Denver at home in the first game of the playoffs. Key phrase "first game of the playoffs." Game #6 of the finals is not the first game of the playoffs, HUGE difference.

2. San Antonio lost to Phoenix at home after enjoying a cushy 3-0 advantage. San Antonio has a slim 3-2 lead over a fierce Detroit team. Don't think San Antonio is going to approach this game the same as with Phoenix's game #4.

Exactly. Both home playoff losses have been more mental let ups than anything else. Dont see a mental letdown tonight

JustSpurs
06-21-2005, 11:33 AM
*blah blah blah Red Soxs blah blah blah*

Vashner
06-21-2005, 11:34 AM
BEEP detroit.. they gonna loose tonight. I can smell victory...

ALL ACCORDING TO JEDI PLANS (Manu)...

DDS4
06-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Game 5 was a pivotal game for both teams. Detroit couldn't have played any harder than they did the other night.

You're telling me that going up 3-2 and a chance to clinch on the Spurs home floor wasn't enough to "motivate" them the other night?

"Backs against the wall" is window dressing. Don't be fooled.

GoSpurs21
06-21-2005, 11:46 AM
considering detroits bench does not play good on the road
rasheed hasnt stepped up in SA in games 1 and 2
prince and hamilton still havent figured out Spurs defense and it will only be worst in SA
Spurs play great at home and can play loose knowing game 7 will also be in SA
the Spurs fans will not let the home team loose

it ends tonight...unless the Spurs decide they want to play on thursday

Rematch+Repeat=Revenge
06-21-2005, 11:49 AM
"We're going into a hostile environment and it's win or go home," Chauncey Billups said. "It's 3-2. If we can't have energy down 3-2, facing elimination, we shouldn't be there."

This says it all.

ginobme
06-21-2005, 11:53 AM
did anyone see the end of game 5? The look on the pistons faces wasnt disappointment or frustration. It was defeat. They hit on all cylinders, everyone was doing "their" share and they still lost due to alleged "overated swingman who rides the coat tails of superstars". The pistons will have some fight tonight, no doubt about that but not enough to retain the title. GO SPURS GO

nkdlunch
06-21-2005, 11:54 AM
http://www.vegasexperts.com/images/frontpage/nba/DET-Billups-2.jpghttp://media.gamespy.com/columns/image/jan04_sidekick_04_max.jpg