PDA

View Full Version : "Dirk is a crappy rebounder."

midnightpulp
04-01-2012, 08:22 PM
- GNSF

Hmmm. Has 73 playoff games in which he's grabbed 10 or more boards. Good for 10th (since 1986) on the playoff leaderboard.

http://bkref.com/tiny/BqHP4

KG, who supposedly attacks the boards while breathing fire and sweating napalm, is behind Dirk on the list.

"Dirk is soft. And KG be bullyin' dem nigguhs on the bawds."

mavs>spurs
04-01-2012, 08:25 PM
yeah but dirks white so fat beaners like fkla and baseline_cum have to scoff him

DeadlyDynasty
04-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Bold this man. Bold him right now.

midnightpulp
04-01-2012, 08:30 PM
yeah but dirks white so fat beaners like fkla and baseline_cum have to scoff him

Yeah, FKLA's Dirk bias is comically stupid. Didn't think BB was a Dirk hater.

Dirk is perhaps the most underrated superstar of all time. Before last year's championship, SLAM magazine ranked him like 55th all-time.

mavs>spurs
04-01-2012, 08:33 PM
only kool and 12 year olds read slam :lol

midnightpulp
04-01-2012, 08:39 PM
only kool and 12 year olds read slam :lol

People don't know it, but you can actually make a compelling argument that Dirk is the 3rd best player of his generation (behind Shaq and Duncan) rather than Kobe. And no, I'm not trolling. Dirk eats way too much shit for the Golden State fuckup, but other than that series, there was never a playoff series where you could definitively say he "choked." Problem is, Kobe's 5 rings to Dirk's 1 gives the pro-Kobe side of the argument too much ammunition. And people conveniently forget Shaq ever existed when using Kobe's 5 rings in an argument.

100%duncan
04-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Dirk is underrated as a rebounder,tbh. As a superstar, I think he receives what he has earned.

Giuseppe
04-01-2012, 08:42 PM
people conveniently forget Shaq ever existed when using Kobe's 5 rings in an argument.

Because after he ran Daddy off, he rang twice. Daddy just rang the one time.

The consequences that 17 June 2010 brought about were deep and comprehensive.

& you know what else?

Kobe knew it.

mavs>spurs
04-01-2012, 08:44 PM
People don't know it, but you can actually make a compelling argument that Dirk is the 3rd best player of his generation (behind Shaq and Duncan) rather than Kobe. And no, I'm not trolling. Dirk eats way too much shit for the Golden State fuckup, but other than that series, there was never a playoff series where you could definitively say he "choked." Problem is, Kobe's 5 rings to Dirk's 1 gives the pro-Kobe side of the argument too much ammunition. And people conveniently forget Shaq ever existed when using Kobe's 5 rings in an argument.

remove everything else and just look at which player, during his prime years, had the biggest overall positive impact for his team every time he stepped onto the court and you'll have your answer when comparing ANY two players. We all know the answer.

midnightpulp
04-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Because after he ran Daddy off, he rang twice. Daddy just rang the one time.

The consequences that 17 June 2010 brought about were deep and comprehensive.

& you know what else?

Kobe knew it.

Shaq rang without Jackson. Without Jackson, Kobe couldn't get into the playoffs.

Giuseppe
04-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Shaq rang without Jackson. Without Jackson, Kobe couldn't get into the playoffs.

It's still:::

Kobe: 2

Daddy: 1

midnightpulp
04-01-2012, 08:47 PM

Like it is:

Kareem: 1

Magic: 0

So do you admit that Magic needed Kareem more than Kareem needed Magic?

mavs>spurs
04-01-2012, 08:47 PM

shaq was older once he left the lakers so that's not an even playing field at all. you're intellectually dishonest.

DMC
04-01-2012, 08:51 PM
This thread is about Dirk. Dale, back in your fucking lane.

Giuseppe
04-01-2012, 08:57 PM
shaq was older once he left the lakers so that's not an even playing field at all. you're intellectually dishonest.

Well, if we're gonna play fair it's:::

mavs>spurs
04-01-2012, 08:58 PM
no, you got called out for that ring counting shit live on the air and got to stuttering. you knew you were lying through your teeth when you said you agreed that horry > kobe, we all heard the hesitation and insincerity in your voice.

Leetonidas
04-01-2012, 09:03 PM
We all know KG is massively overrated and shrinks away in the playoffs though tbh

Giuseppe
04-01-2012, 09:08 PM
no, you got called out for that ring counting shit live on the air and got to stuttering. you knew you were lying through your teeth when you said you agreed that horry > kobe, we all heard the hesitation and insincerity in your voice.

:rolleyes

mavs>spurs
04-01-2012, 09:17 PM
yeah that sounds about right

baseline bum
04-01-2012, 09:45 PM

Dirk is perhaps the most underrated superstar of all time. Before last year's championship, SLAM magazine ranked him like 55th all-time.

I said his rebounding sucked last season when it dropped off to 7.0 a game, so apparently that makes me a Dirk hater.

dirk4mvp
04-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Did you ever wish for Dirk and his family to crash to the ground in an airplane trip?

DAF86
04-02-2012, 12:05 AM
Dirk has 3 more 10+ rebounds games than Garnett in 19 more playoffs games. Just saying.

mavsfan1000
04-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Dirk is an average rebounder. And yes he is more active in the playoffs. Gotta pace yourself for a long season.

Goran Dragic
04-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Anyone else using Cully's arguments about Kobe/Shaq would be engaging in intellectual dishonesty, but in Cully's case he sincerely believes them and doesn't see the intellectual dishonesty because of his limited brain power :lol

mavs>spurs
04-02-2012, 12:19 AM
Anyone else using Cully's arguments about Kobe/Shaq would be engaging in intellectual dishonesty, but in Cully's case he sincerely believes them and doesn't see the intellectual dishonesty because of his limited brain power :lol

no, it was really clear that you or whoever else caught him slipping with that question and he got flustered and was forced to lie through his teeth. culburn DOES NOT believe that horry is a better basketball player than kobe, he just had to support his own inconsistencies in order to preserve his shtick.

Giuseppe
04-02-2012, 12:20 AM

You're O & 43!!!

Giuseppe
04-02-2012, 12:21 AM
no, it was really clear that you or whoever else caught him slipping with that question and he got flustered and was forced to lie through his teeth. culburn DOES NOT believe that horry is a better basketball player than kobe, he just had to support his own inconsistencies in order to preserve his shtick.

:rolleyes

mavs>spurs
04-02-2012, 12:21 AM
is horry a better basketball player than kobe?

Goran Dragic
04-02-2012, 12:22 AM
:yield

Giuseppe
04-02-2012, 12:22 AM
is horry a better basketball player than kobe?

Go upstairs to the EC and repudiate your vote. Then come on back down here and I'll answer your query.

Now,

Let us proceed...

mavs>spurs
04-02-2012, 12:27 AM
you're not that special or important its your own ass you're leaving uncovered by not answering the question. of course you don't think horry is the better player i win.

Giuseppe
04-02-2012, 12:28 AM
you're not that special or important its your own ass you're leaving uncovered by not answering the question. of course you don't think horry is the better player i win.

Until you go upstairs and repudiate that vote it's strictly heel & toe. Heel & fuckin' toe.

Now,

Let us proceed...

endrity
04-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Correction: Dirk has been an average rebounder, but a good defensive one. At his peak the main difference between his rebounding number (9.9 was his top) and that of the better rebounders were the offensive rebounding numbers. Since he always played a bit further away from the hoop that explains the difference.

The last couple of seasons though he clearly paces himself. You could easily see the jump in activity from the reg season to the playoffs last year. All year long Mavs fans were dissapointed in his rebounding activity, and then the playoffs came and everything changed. So yes, I am not very concerned with his numbers right now. As long as he got his shot going everything is fine.

p.s Yes, he is underrated. At this point he should easily be top 20, and then when fan lists come up he still isn't. Another ring would probably do it but that's not going to be easy.

diego
04-02-2012, 12:32 AM
dirk is a good rebounder despite his jumper happy offense, but he is not a better rebounder than KG. KG has a 17.1% Playoff Reb to Dirk's 14.4, and 17.0 to 13.0 regular season Dirk.

A defensive big who is competent on O is a rarer commodity than an offensive big who is competent on D, especially when the other big's offense is based on jumpers (though in this case they both are but whatever). I'd still take KG before dirk if I had to choose a big from the last decade not named duncan or shaq.

Jacob1983
04-02-2012, 01:48 AM
Dirk's got a ring now. He gets a pass.

z0sa
04-02-2012, 02:04 AM
Dirk should have two rings right now. Dude might not be the most amazing defender ever but his scoring and rebounding more than make up for it. Anyone who ever said he was a "1.5" type of guy is dead wrong.

stretch
04-02-2012, 10:07 AM
He gets quite good defensive rebounding stats. His offensive rebounding is what lacks majorly, in large part due to his offensive style.

But when you examine the timing he uses on his rebounds, and when he actually TRIES to boxing out, he is as good as anyone in those areas. He definitely is not a bad rebounder whatsoever. Lazy? Absolutely... at least until the playoffs come around.

endrity
04-02-2012, 11:49 AM
dirk is a good rebounder despite his jumper happy offense, but he is not a better rebounder than KG. KG has a 17.1% Playoff Reb to Dirk's 14.4, and 17.0 to 13.0 regular season Dirk.

A defensive big who is competent on O is a rarer commodity than an offensive big who is competent on D, especially when the other big's offense is based on jumpers (though in this case they both are but whatever). I'd still take KG before dirk if I had to choose a big from the last decade not named duncan or shaq.

You are actually quite wrong on that. Offensive skilled bigs are a much rarer commodity. A lot of teams have some kind of big center to rebound and protect the rim. They are not easy to find, but a few exist in the NBA. But bigs who can score a lot and efficiently is the rarest kind of commodity in the league. It's what pretty much takes a team from a good one to simply elite status.

And when you have the kind of offensive game that Dirk has, that truly creates mismatches as the Spurs would know, that's an even more unique commodity. It's pretty much the reason Dirk won a ring without an All-Star and KG needed two more to win his. Dirk's scoring already takes care of one of the largest parts of the title puzzle. Once you have that it's easier to build around. If you don't, you need more quality talent around.

Goran Dragic
04-02-2012, 11:56 AM
A defensive big who is competent on O is a rarer commodity than an offensive big who is competent on D
:lmao what?

FkLA
04-02-2012, 01:32 PM

The man is averaging 6 rpg this season, has a career average of like 8. To say hes a good rebounder because he averages 10 in the playoffs is whats comically stupid. The most likely reason behind the increase in his rebounds is big minutes+lower FG% from teams in playoffs...he doesnt become a good rebounder overnight once the playoffs start. :lol

Hes an average rebounder at best. Below average if you simply compare him to elite bigmen.

FkLA
04-02-2012, 01:36 PM
But when you examine the timing he uses on his rebounds, and when he actually TRIES to boxing out, he is as good as anyone in those areas.

:lol

Your sucking off of Dirk remains very strong. :tu

endrity
04-02-2012, 02:40 PM
The man is averaging 6 rpg this season, has a career average of like 8. To say hes a good rebounder because he averages 10 in the playoffs is whats comically stupid. The most likely reason behind the increase in his rebounds is big minutes+lower FG% from teams in playoffs...he doesnt become a good rebounder overnight once the playoffs start. :lol

Hes an average rebounder at best. Below average if you simply compare him to elite bigmen.

If you use rebound rate, which is independent of minutes mind you, it jumps up in the playoffs.

You tried, you failed, it happens. Move on, nothing to see here.

Jodelo
04-02-2012, 02:51 PM
FkLA just hating where he is supposed to hate, nothing to see.

Dirk rebounds when he has to, in the Playoffs!

dfens
04-02-2012, 02:55 PM
la don't care about dirk :lol

kQ3m5jQKLU8

FkLA
04-02-2012, 05:46 PM
If you use rebound rate, which is independent of minutes mind you, it jumps up in the playoffs.

You tried, you failed, it happens. Move on, nothing to see here.

So basically Dirk is an overall good rebounder because his numbers increase in the playoffs :tu :lol

What does it increase to anyways and how does it compare to other bigmen? Total rebounding percentage for example, goes up for him in the playoffs but he stll trails (by a good margin) guys that are known to be good rebounders. Guys like Duncan, KG, B. Wallace, Dwight, etc. Hes more in the range of guys like Brad Miller tbh, even with the increase.

diego
04-02-2012, 05:49 PM
You are actually quite wrong on that. Offensive skilled bigs are a much rarer commodity. A lot of teams have some kind of big center to rebound and protect the rim. They are not easy to find, but a few exist in the NBA. But bigs who can score a lot and efficiently is the rarest kind of commodity in the league. It's what pretty much takes a team from a good one to simply elite status.

And when you have the kind of offensive game that Dirk has, that truly creates mismatches as the Spurs would know, that's an even more unique commodity. It's pretty much the reason Dirk won a ring without an All-Star and KG needed two more to win his. Dirk's scoring already takes care of one of the largest parts of the title puzzle. Once you have that it's easier to build around. If you don't, you need more quality talent around.

Perhaps I should have been more specific, as I was referring to dirk/KG caliber players and not journeymen types. To me KG's defense + offense is superior to Dirk's offense + defense. You cant base these opinions purely on stats because obviously there are a ton of other factors like teammates, coaching, role, and the simple fact that stats dont reflect D the way they do scoring, and that not all rebounds/blocks/points etc are equal.

Also, its foolish to bring in their titles as arguments. If Dirk doesnt need any all stars to win titles, why did it take him a decade to get one? There are a ton of other circumstances at play, and not all all-stars are made equal as its basically a popularity contest. Dirk's teams have been upset multiple times by lower seeds in the PO, I cant really think of a KG team that underachieved in the PO.

The same way dirk brings mismatches on O, KG erases them on D with his ability to check both guards and bigs. I've seen dirk go off on the spurs but I've also seen a very old Antonio McDyess and Keith bogans cover him quite well, holding him under 20 pts or 38-40% shooting for yet another PO upset. overall the spurs have had great success against him even when he does go off.

Bottom line, a dirk > kg argument should not be based on their rebounding ability, as the numbers clearly show KG to be the superior rebounder both regular season and PO. And for my personal taste, I'd pick KG over Dirk because I value his D over dirk's scoring, though I understand why others would prefer Dirk. Also, let it be clear I'm not talking about them right now, as KG has a lot of extra mileage and his game is based much more on his athleticism, right now obviously dirk > KG.

m>s
04-02-2012, 07:33 PM
dirk rebounds cuz he doesn't have no legit rebounder playing alongside him tbh, TC fixed the shit but it only lasted one year, just check their scorebox its hard to tell which positions each of em play by their reb numbers tbh, they all got similar figures in rebounds cuz their C is a shit

Deuce Bigalow
04-02-2012, 09:51 PM
la don't care about dirk :lol

kQ3m5jQKLU8

:lmao

still funny