PDA

View Full Version : NBA Playbook: Boris Diaw's hidden impact

Spursfanfromafar
04-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Just to add to some views about Boris Diaw's impact and value to the Spurs -

---

People tend to forget that before a few thousand extra crapes, Boris Diaw was a key cog in the Phoenix Suns “Seven Seconds or Less Era”, particularly in the 2006-07 season. A versatile player who could play every frontcourt spot, Diaw often found himself manning the pivot in the undersized Suns lineups. There his ability to handle and pass made an offense predicated on ball movement harder to stop. Last night, against one of his former teams, Diaw showcased that ability once again.

In the first clip, Diaw catches the ball from the trail spot and, thanks to a defensive mix-up, finds a plethora of open space. Not too many bigs are capable of making this type play at this pace, but despite the extra poundage, Diaw puts the ball on the deck and attacks the defense. He drives deep into the paint before locating a wide open Matt Bonner in the corner for a wide open 3-point shot.

sIQDtAdD5zU

Read more here (http://nbaplaybook.com/2012/03/28/boris-diaws-hidden-impact/).

Mr. Body
04-01-2012, 11:10 PM
That's a nice clip. It's true - most bigs will drive full-bore into a charging call there, or try an ungainly floater. Diaw is able to slow down and kick out to the wing, after spotting Bonner.

Spursfanfromafar
04-01-2012, 11:14 PM
That's a nice clip. It's true - most bigs will drive full-bore into a charging call there, or try an ungainly floater. Diaw is able to slow down and kick out to the wing, after spotting Bonner.

Oh. there are more clips in the linked article. Do have a look.

Diaw, as has been said here in the forums, has something about him that distinguishes him from Bonner and Blair - a very high IQ and very good passing ability. I am supposing he will be a vital cog in the wheel during the playoffs. NBA Playbook does not mention his defensive abilities or has clips of them, but from what I had seen, he easily passes the eye test on post defense, one-on-one defense, and has some really quick feet that belie his chunky frame.

100%duncan
04-01-2012, 11:38 PM
This is why I find it funny for some spurs fans to complain about what Diaw has done to our game.

freetiago
04-02-2012, 12:00 AM
he needs to play with tiago
in the few minutes i saw them together they were making nice high-low passes

Obstructed_View
04-02-2012, 12:28 AM
It's selling Diaw a bit short to say he can play "all frontcourt positions", since he's played all five at a pretty high level.

Spurtacus
04-02-2012, 12:44 AM
I'm praying Pop gives him playoff minutes over Bonner.

Darkwaters
04-02-2012, 12:57 AM
I'm praying Pop gives him playoff minutes over Bonner.

Bonner? You mean Blair, right?

TheSkeptic
04-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Bonner? You mean Blair, right?

I'd settle for either one at this stage.

spurs10
04-02-2012, 01:20 AM
Thanks, he definitely improves the play of those around him.

TJastal
04-02-2012, 02:06 AM
he needs to play with tiago
in the few minutes i saw them together they were making nice high-low passes

This would be great if Diaw learns to take open shots and can shoot a respectable %. Otherwise to be quite honest I'd still rather have Bonner out there paired with Splitter in the 2nd unit.

Whatever the case may be, the most important thing IMO is Pop needs to figure out what his rotation is going to be and then stick with it. This pussyfooting around keeping everyone guessing about whose playing on any given night and fluctuating roles (Blair as closer??) has got me worried.

TheSkeptic
04-02-2012, 02:08 AM
This would be great if Diaw learns to take open shots and can shoot a respectable %. Otherwise to be quite honest I'd still rather have Bonner out there paired with Splitter in the 2nd unit.

Whatever the case may be, the most important thing IMO is Pop needs to figure out what his rotation is going to be and then stick with it. This pussyfooting around keeping everyone guessing about whose playing on any given night and fluctuating roles (Blair as closer??) has got me worried.

So what're you going to do if this is the rotation he's more or less sticking with? :lol

angelbelow
04-02-2012, 02:15 AM
Thanks for sharing, great read. :tu

Although, Diaw's calculated play ability wasn't exactly "hidden."

Proxy
04-02-2012, 02:33 AM
This is why I find it funny for some spurs fans to complain about what Diaw has done to our game.

Who says Diaw hurts our game? haha

TJastal
04-02-2012, 02:37 AM
So what're you going to do if this is the rotation he's more or less sticking with? :lol

Well....

I don't even care really at this point, I just want to see consistency.

I think it's important guys know what to expect from game to game and what their roles are going to be. Yet in typical Pop fashion, he went out and acquired a guy who could be an important puzzle piece moving forward (Diaw) and has proceeded to leisurely rotate it around in his fingers, testing the firmness of the cardboard with his teeth, and using the corner as a toothpick to clean his teeth.

It's as if he's waiting for the last possible second (game) to lay it down and complete his masterpiece, for he must savor the aroma and every distinct flavor, right up to the end.

Unfortunately, players aren't quite like a puzzle, a puzzle is finished once you lay the last piece, yet players need furthur time to gel and acquire chemistry together.

Spursfanfromafar
04-02-2012, 02:46 AM
When your new acquisitions (along with your veteran players) get you close to 6 wins in almost 9 nights and their minutes are rotated well and they are rested well despite such a gruelling schedule, you have done a fantastic coaching job.

The only grouse against Pop has been his reluctance and stubborn-ness in not using a Splitter-Duncan frontline even when a matchup demands it, but other than that he has been what is his calling card - the best coach in the league.

shorttotry
04-02-2012, 03:05 AM
My biggest worries are in Pop failing to establish a lineup which other posters also express.

My ideal 1st team rotation: Parker, Manu, KL, Diaw, and Duncan. This way any off boards nights incurred with Diaw will hopefully be offset by KL. The only catchup I have with this lineup is it involves the majority of our actual "playmaker," leaving us a little short on the 2nd unit

On the other end of the spectrum: Mills, Green/ Neal, SJAX, Bonner, and Tiago. This spreads the floor, but we still have some guys with length that can recover using length on rebounds.

I have a feeling that this Spurs lineup is the best they've had since 2005. The only questions are that we have a few unproven numbies and still a a lack of a low post scoring big. These aren't necessarily bad things... (I wasn't praying for Howard or anything).

ANy thoughts?

I think this should be the lineup from here on out, unless there are some proven kinks that come up.

Any thoughts?

jjktkk
04-02-2012, 03:06 AM
Well....

I don't even care really at this point, I just want to see consistency.

I think it's important guys know what to expect from game to game and what their roles are going to be. Yet in typical Pop fashion, he went out and acquired a guy who could be an important puzzle piece moving forward (Diaw) and has proceeded to leisurely rotate it around in his fingers, testing the firmness of the cardboard with his teeth, and using the corner as a toothpick to clean his teeth.

It's as if he's waiting for the last possible second (game) to lay it down and complete his masterpiece, for he must savor the aroma and every distinct flavor, right up to the end.

Unfortunately, players aren't quite like a puzzle, a puzzle is finished once you lay the last piece, yet players need furthur time to gel and acquire chemistry together.

A whole essay that makes no sense. Classic Tjastal. :lol

TJastal
04-02-2012, 03:24 AM
My biggest worries are in Pop failing to establish a lineup which other posters also express.

My ideal 1st team rotation: Parker, Manu, KL, Diaw, and Duncan. This way any off boards nights incurred with Diaw will hopefully be offset by KL. The only catchup I have with this lineup is it involves the majority of our actual "playmaker," leaving us a little short on the 2nd unit

On the other end of the spectrum: Mills, Green/ Neal, SJAX, Bonner, and Tiago. This spreads the floor, but we still have some guys with length that can recover using length on rebounds.

I have a feeling that this Spurs lineup is the best they've had since 2005. The only questions are that we have a few unproven numbies and still a a lack of a low post scoring big. These aren't necessarily bad things... (I wasn't praying for Howard or anything).

ANy thoughts?

I think this should be the lineup from here on out, unless there are some proven kinks that come up.

Any thoughts?

Well the ideal lineup would include a Tiago / Tim starting frontcourt. I'm not buying into all this jazz that Splitter can't play more than 16 minutes a game without becoming an injury prone wuss.

TJastal
04-02-2012, 03:24 AM

ANy thoughts?

Any thoughts?

But aside of that Tim and Tiago thing (which we know ain't happening) I prefer to stick with Green as the starting 2 because I really love having Manu playing in the 2nd unit which really gives it firepower and of course I think the Manu/Tiago combination is deadly since they have chemistry on and off the court. Parker already has Blair/Tim to run his P&R's through and the offense has been great that way, no sense in muddying everything up.

Besides, our 2nd unit is going to be equally as important in a title run, given that this is a condensed season and other teams which aren't even as deep to begin with will be forced to play their starters even longer to keep from having their 2nd units blown apart.

TJastal
04-02-2012, 03:40 AM
Why do you all think, given Manu's unbelievable efficiency and effectiveness in particular this year don't you all think he's better off in the 2nd unit? I've been wanting this to happen all year and I think this year especiallly has shown just how much his health affects his overall play. So by playing off the bench it really helps keep his minutes down, and maximizes his efficiency in a few concentrated bursts throughout the game (off the bench) + usually keeps him fresh to help close out games which we have seen is totally working so far this year.

freetiago
04-02-2012, 05:25 AM
i still believe our starting lineup has to go
every game its like clockwork
starting lineup play lackluster d
tony-tim 2 man game
duncan isos too much
blair plays 0 d but scores a few points in the first few minutes then proceeds to fall off the map
look at danny greens first shot, if he makes it hell be good, if he misses hell suck
leonard hides in the corner and grabs a few rebounds
other team gets the lead and momentum
pop inserts bench and they clean up

the change could or couldnt be fixed by inserting manu
but i like him as the 2nd point guard of the team
he should have neal and tiago at his hip when he gets substituted in

taking out blair from the rotation and possibly green from the starting for jack would be good
maybe even switching jack/leonard depending whether or not the team has an elite perimeter scorer
leonard should still be near the top of the team in minutes but he could be the 6th man who plays in both lineups

buttsR4rebounding
04-02-2012, 07:34 AM
bonner? You mean blair, right?

+1

wildbill2u
04-02-2012, 02:25 PM
I love the criticism by all these knowledgeable fans. [sarcasm/]

We are 9-1 in our last 10 games. 8-2 in our last 10 home games. 8-2 in our last 10 road games and 4th in the league in games won-lost.

If we had a perfect record there'd be somebody bitching that our margin of victory wasn't high enough because our defense isn't holding teams to 65 points per game.

Doesn't anybody here enjoy the good season we're having? Look at the half-full glass. There are lots of teams that don't want to face the Spurs in the playoffs.

jrodriguez.Nb.Tx
04-02-2012, 02:33 PM
and even tho he hasnt made any yet, BD has the ability to hit the 3 pointer ive seen him shoot a couple.. just a matter of time before some of them fall.
and he plays solid D against other big men.

therealtruth
04-02-2012, 04:00 PM

We are 9-1 in our last 10 games. 8-2 in our last 10 home games. 8-2 in our last 10 road games and 4th in the league in games won-lost.

If we had a perfect record there'd be somebody bitching that our margin of victory wasn't high enough because our defense isn't holding teams to 65 points per game.

Doesn't anybody here enjoy the good season we're having? Look at the half-full glass. There are lots of teams that don't want to face the Spurs in the playoffs.

I'm enjoying it just as much as last season with the exception of the playoffs off course.

BillMc
04-02-2012, 04:05 PM
i love the criticism by all these knowledgeable fans. [sarcasm/]

we are 9-1 in our last 10 games. 8-2 in our last 10 home games. 8-2 in our last 10 road games and 4th in the league in games won-lost.

Doesn't anybody here enjoy the good season we're having? Look at the half-full glass. There are lots of teams that don't want to face the spurs in the playoffs.

+ 1000

Obstructed_View
04-03-2012, 06:33 AM

I enjoyed the good season they had last year. Now I'm smarter. Why aren't you?

Solid D
04-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Boris brings a 1.9 Assist/TO ratio (Charlotte/Spurs combined) 2nd best teamwise to Tony's 3.0.

He also helps boost the team defensive rebounding %, which leads the league at .766 plus Boris' 1.4 steals per game in his 5 games leads the Spurs (albeit a small sample).