PDA

View Full Version : Sweet! NBA and Player's Association Agree to CBA

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-21-2005, 12:20 PM
Game on.

FromWayDowntown
06-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Great news. I guess they DID pay attention to what happened with the NHL.

mookie2001
thats good
my chode would explode if they had a lockout

mavsfan1000
yeesssssss!!!!

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-21-2005, 12:23 PM
I had a feeling they'd try to get it hammered out today so that

1. there'd be more buzz leading up to the game tonight

2. they could do the whole PR "one big happy family" thing tonight during the game.

Probably gonna have to suffer through a David Stern interview at the half though, for those of you watching at home.

MI21
06-21-2005, 12:26 PM
Incredibly fantastic and good news.

Anyone know when the details for the CBA will be out?

SWC Bonfire
06-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Probably gonna have to suffer through a David Stern interview at the half though, for those of you watching at home.

Good, so now the reporter could ask him if he wants it to go seven games, and he can reply through gritted teeth that six will be enough.

I still remember that interview in the 2003 finals, the cocksucker could have at least tried to sell the league, instead of thinly disguising the fact that he wanted the "Lakers vs. the Lakers." (A quote from him in the 2004 season).

ZappaFan
06-21-2005, 12:30 PM
The fat lady hasn't sung yet. Nothing is signed, nothing is final. They have a potential agreement. I think we all know the different between "potential" and "actual".

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-21-2005, 12:32 PM
NEW YORK -- NBA owners and players agreed to a new collective bargaining agreement Tuesday, averting the possibility of a lockout.

The league called a 5 p.m. ET news conference in San Antonio prior to Game 6 of the NBA Finals, with commissioner David Stern and union director Billy Hunter announcing their agreement, ESPN Insider Chad Ford has confirmed.

The deal came on the fourth consecutive day of talks between the sides. The league's old seven-year agreement is due to expire on June 30.

The league and its players' association on Monday night were close to agreeing on a new CBA that would institute a new 19-year-old age limit, reduce contract lengths and raise the salary cap, according to sources close to both negotiating committee.

The potential agreement would run for six years and would allow the two sides to avoid a July 1 lockout.

The two negotiating committees were to meet again on Tuesday morning in New York, NBA spokesperson Tim Frank said. Union spokesperson Dan Wasserman declined comment on the story.

A source close to the NBA negotiating committee and a source close to the union's negotiation committee claim that all of the major issues between the sides had been agreed to in principle as of Monday night, and the purpose of Tuesday's meeting was to work out some of the finer points of the agreement that weren't addressed during a lengthy, breakthrough negotiation session Friday.

The players now have the opportunity to ratify the new agreement during a summer meeting on June 28. It might take several more weeks for the final agreement to get drafted, possibly delaying the start of the free agent period scheduled to start July 1.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2091539

ObiwanGinobili
06-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Thank god.

I wonder what provisions thye alloted for the pre-65'ers???

spur219
06-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Yup

ZappaFan
06-21-2005, 12:34 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2091539

heh, I checked ESPN immediatly prior to making my post, and I couldn't find anything other than the story of the potential agreement. That'll be an awesome way to kick off game 6, that's for sure.

:elephant

ducks
06-21-2005, 12:34 PM
nothing is signed but calling a new confernece and then they do lock out would be bad pr

MannyIsGod
06-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Yeah, it was pretty much done after last night. Good to hear they agreed to it, the rest is just ceramonial.

Manu20
06-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Good News!!! :elephant :elephant

Pistons < Spurs
06-21-2005, 12:38 PM
This is terriffic. I was afraid that we were going to be a sporting world embarassment like the NHL.

ducks
06-21-2005, 12:38 PM
this is good news for fans wanting scola

SLOVENIAN 8
06-21-2005, 12:40 PM
:smokin :smokin :elephant :elephant :spin

picnroll
06-21-2005, 12:40 PM
this is good news for fans wanting scola
Any information on how they'll handle the MLE? Are they going to split it like they were talking about?

CosmicCowboy
06-21-2005, 12:44 PM
no mention at all of a luxury tax. None.

that may have been the NBA's one concession.

Big markets and rich owners will love that.

TheAdmiral#50
06-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Glad they got it done before the 30th so it didn't linger and fuck up trades and summer league play.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-21-2005, 12:53 PM
There will be a lux tax but no super tax, and the lux tax revenue is going to be distributed to all teams.

whottt
06-21-2005, 12:54 PM
What did they do about the MLE? Did they split it? Any new exceptions?

SpursWoman
06-21-2005, 12:57 PM
:)

Spurminator
06-21-2005, 01:08 PM
Whew... Now we don't have to worry about half of the Spurs' Championships being lockout Titles.

clubalien
06-21-2005, 01:14 PM
can someone tell me the new "basic rules" is there cap, a tax, is the max changes, is the increase per year changed, are 60 years olds manned from joining, are 5 year olds banned from joining, are femles banned from draft?, do the vet min, lle, MLE, still exsit, how many years?, can tim duncan cancel and resign a "shaq, KG" deal? will coaches salrys be maxed? is there anyting radical beign addd or subtracted?

is there a no ask no tell policy

detail people details

Kori Ellis
06-21-2005, 01:18 PM
19 year old age limit
6 year max contracts for your own players (it was 7)
5 year max contract for new signings (it was 6)
No super luxury tax
Still a luxury tax
Higher salary cap (51% of the BRI instead of ~48%)
10% raises for your own players (it was 12.5)
8% raises for new signings (it was 10)
Rookie contracts will have team options in 3rd and 4th year (it was guaranteed for 3 years and a team option for only the 4th)

mrcoon29
06-21-2005, 01:19 PM
Thank god.

I wonder what provisions thye alloted for the pre-65'ers???
I wouldn't bet on any. That is what my gut is telling me.

Kori Ellis
06-21-2005, 01:19 PM
There's also these changes in the escrow distributions:

Escrow would be reduced and distribution of escrow moneys modified. Currently, players must pay 10 percent of their salaries into an escrow account each season. If, at season's end, the total amount of player salaries exceeds 57 percent of the league's total basketball-related income, that money goes to the owners whose teams stay below the luxury-tax threshold (and a few that fall within a certain "cliff threshold"). If it doesn't exceed 57 percent, the players get their money back. Under the proposed agreement, that number would be slowly fazed down to 8 percent by the end of the agreement.

There is potentially another significant development in this area. Under current rules, the NBA has sole discretion over the use of the escrow money. Currently, it redistributes the cash (and luxury tax revenues) to teams that are under the luxury tax threshold. In essence, Clippers owner Donald Sterling gets a bonus for being cheap. Under the new proposed agreement, distribution rules would be changed so that luxury tax revenues would now be distributed equally among all 30 teams.

Spurminator
06-21-2005, 01:20 PM
6 year max contracts for your own players (it was 7)

Thanks for the summary, Kori. Does the above apply to current contracts, or to re-signing current players? (I would assume the latter, but just checking)

TwoHandJam
06-21-2005, 01:20 PM
This is great news.

Marklar MM
06-21-2005, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the summary, Kori. Does the above apply to current contracts, or to re-signing current players? (I would assume the latter, but just checking)

All current contracts remain I believe. Everything done after the CBA is put into effect uses new CBA rules.

Kori Ellis
06-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Does the above apply to current contracts, or to re-signing current players? (I would assume the latter, but just checking)

Re-signing current players.

Horry For 3!
06-21-2005, 01:26 PM
I didn't think they would go on a lock-out anyways. Because they knew how the NHL turned out, the NHL went to shit and lost some fans.

T Park
06-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Yeah, did they specify anything about the 65'ers??

The story of cousy and others really got to me, and concerned me if the Owners and players did anything about it.

JustSpurs
06-21-2005, 01:53 PM
Whew...relief.

baseline bum
06-21-2005, 02:11 PM
As a fan, I'm happy as hell. I'm disappointed to see the players giving up so much though. I don't think raising the salary cap by 6.25% comes anywhere close to making up for the concessions they made.

Stern's a bad mf though. He has Balls of Horry to force the player's union to accept his proposal to take even more money out of the players' pockets than he did in 1999. He's a hell of a commisioner.

T Park
06-21-2005, 02:24 PM
take even more money out of the players' pockets than he did in 1999

instead of 20 million theyll make 16.

Good lord the atrocity.

The NBA oughtta take alot of the money they are taking from the players and donate it to one.org.

Kori Ellis
06-21-2005, 02:26 PM
Overall, the players will not make less money.

Total player salaries would be guaranteed. The proposed agreement guarantees that players receive a minimum of 57 percent of basketball-related income (BRI) in the form of salaries each year.

SpursFanDan
06-21-2005, 02:28 PM
Did you hear, ... the trailblazers franchise is going on strike, they dont like one of the agreements on the cba. Drug tests 4 times a year.

tlongII
06-21-2005, 02:30 PM
This is great news! I was worried about summer league ball getting cancelled. As a young team the Blazers will find summer league extremely important for player development. I'm also thinking about going to Vegas to check out some summer league games and it would suck if they cancelled them.

timvp
06-21-2005, 02:31 PM
Players got had but at least free agency won't be delayed.

whottt
06-21-2005, 02:47 PM
I am not sure if it's that Stern is so bad, the players just have a weak union, or that Hunter is the worst union chief ever...

But anyway...if the players are giving it up that willingly there are no bad guys here...it's great for the NBA owners and fans of those teams.

whottt
06-21-2005, 02:51 PM
I am tryng to figure out if Holt or Parker needs to thank Pop for pushing to sign Parker when we did...I think Parker got the better of it on the financial end...but at least Holt doesn't have any worries...and he's on the verge of getting a title. It's tough to say how much Parker would get offered if he was a FA...I think his stock went up this season,(Van Gundy thinks he is an All Star) so maybe Holt did get the better end of it.

mavsfan1000
06-21-2005, 02:53 PM
This is great news! I was worried about summer league ball getting cancelled. As a young team the Blazers will find summer league extremely important for player development. I'm also thinking about going to Vegas to check out some summer league games and it would suck if they cancelled them.
Same with Dallas. They have a young team also. Daniels, Harris, Mbenga, and Pavel

nbascribe
06-21-2005, 03:03 PM
Okay while I am happy that there won't be a lockout, this deal stinks on the age limit issue.

Basically there should be some stipulations and it should have been raised to 20 years old. :oops

T Park
06-21-2005, 03:08 PM
I agree G Mo.

Either make it 20 or leave it the way it was.

19 leaves alot of kids in limbo, and its not too fair for them.

STern said he wanted to get the GM's out of the high schools, but Im afraid to tell em, they will still be there.

So, IMO, the 19 year old issue is just plain dumb.

baseline bum
06-21-2005, 03:57 PM
instead of 20 million theyll make 16.

Good lord the atrocity.

The NBA oughtta take alot of the money they are taking from the players and donate it to one.org.

Why? NBA players have one in a million talents, so they should be paid the market rate. Stern is trying to take the free market out of the NBA, you freaking Communist.

mrcoon29
06-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Press conference on NBATV right now. Let's see if a reporter asks about the 65'ers.

Kori Ellis
06-21-2005, 04:20 PM
The teams also will be able to send players down to the NBDL who have less than 2 years NBA experience.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Well, there's some good news. No asterisk for us if we win a championship next year.

ObiwanGinobili
06-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Press conference on NBATV right now. Let's see if a reporter asks about the 65'ers.

let us know.. we don't all have NBA tv. thanks :tu

ducks
06-21-2005, 04:25 PM
The teams also will be able to send players down to the NBDL who have less than 2 years NBA experience.

GOOD FARM SYSTEM
SPURS WILL KICK BUT!

T Park
06-21-2005, 04:32 PM
you freaking Communist.

GASP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THATS THATS THATS

my line you asshole lol.....jk

T Park
06-21-2005, 04:33 PM
Sanikidze and Kauralov come over now???

WHy not, develop and coach them here.

IMO they would get better coaching than over there.

Kori Ellis
06-21-2005, 04:34 PM
Sanikidze and Kauralov come over now???

WHy not, develop and coach them here.

IMO they would get better coaching than over there.

I'm not sure how it would work. I don't know if they have to sign them to contracts and then send them down. If the NBA team pays them or what.

T Park
06-21-2005, 04:39 PM
I just heard the development series is ok in the 2 year sense.

But I dont understand what is so freakin bad about sending down a guy like Linton Johnson to get playing time after an injury and stuff.

I dont understand why they cant just copy Hockey's system and get it done.

Oh well, guess thats an issue for 2011.