PDA

View Full Version : Pop named WC Coach of the Month

Mel_13
04-02-2012, 03:03 PM
The NBA on Monday named the Bulls' Tom Thibodeau the Eastern Conference Coach of the Month for March. San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich won the Western Conference honor.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/chi-thibodeau-named-eastern-conference-coach-of-month-20120402,0,7014659.story

urunobili
04-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Props :tu

I bet his moves as a team president were considered there too... :pop:

sharkenleo
04-02-2012, 03:21 PM
And yet there are still dumbasses that call for his head every freaking game night.

Brazil
04-02-2012, 03:28 PM
:tu

DarkGinobili
04-02-2012, 03:32 PM
:tu:pop:

FuzzyLumpkins
04-02-2012, 03:46 PM
And yet there are still dumbasses that call for his head every freaking game night.

Its just the nature of Americans and their sports. Every baseball fan thinks they know when to call to the bullpen and pinch hit call for the switch etc. Every football fan thinks they can call plays and defenses, make gameplans and scout talent. And every basketball fan thinks they can call substitutions, design defenses, and scout talent.

this place is no different. We teach the ethics of emmerson in this nations classrooms and we take the idea of being self reliant in terms of making decisions to the extreme when it suits us.

Welcome to the US.

Spurs Brazil
04-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Props to Pop

timvp
04-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Pop deserved it. Great month, tbh :tu

TheSkeptic
04-02-2012, 03:47 PM
He deserves it :toast

Blake
04-02-2012, 03:49 PM
he didn't get NBA coach of the month though.

FIRE POP!

BillMc
04-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Wait until Pop (and TD) retire and we have a bunch of players who half listen to their coach like 80% of the league. We'll realize how good we had it....

Mugen
04-02-2012, 03:58 PM
By far, the two best coaches in the league right now.

therealtruth
04-02-2012, 03:58 PM

Of course cause we all know coaches of the month never lose in the first round.

Mugen
04-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Except Thibs isn't playing Scalabrine more mins. than Asik :lol

timtonymanu
04-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Well deserved! The way he has managed minutes and taken players out of games while still getting wins is impressive.

Keepin' it real
04-02-2012, 04:05 PM
But DeJuan Blair shouldn't be starting. :baby:baby:baby

But the Spurs don't play defense like they used to. :baby:baby:baby

So I guess WC coach of the month voting must have been rigged, right morons? :lol:lol:lol

Bruno
04-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Well deserved.

Pop is also looking more and more like the clear favorite to be coach of the year. Doug Collins was the other favorite sooner this year but Sixers have slowed down.

TheSkeptic
04-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Except Thibs isn't playing Scalabrine more mins. than Asik :lol

:lol That's actually a pretty accurate comparison there.

But DeJuan Blair shouldn't be starting. :baby:baby:baby

He shouldn't.

But the Spurs don't play defense like they used to. :baby:baby:baby

They don't.

So I guess WC coach of the month voting must have been rigged, right morons? :lol:lol:lol

I hope you warmed up before doing those stretches.

For the record,

He's done a fantastic job this month/this whole season keeping people healthy and winning games. Most of us have only 1 or 2 complaints about him and I wouldn't trade him for any coach besides Thibs.

silverblk mystix
04-02-2012, 04:21 PM
(golf clap)

Big fuckin' deal....with all that talent he should win a title...

When and if the Spurs win the title...then you can all praise him to high fuckin' heavens...until then...

The same way that he is being praised right now---should be the same way he gets criticized if the Spurs don't win the title.

Pre-mature ejac thread...

wildbill2u
04-02-2012, 04:47 PM

TBH you'd have to say he's been coaching at COTY level all year.

Revamping the team on the fly, getting youngsters--including rookie Leonard-- into the mix, adjusting to injuries to key players and giving older players rest while maintaining a W-L record of 4th in the league.

There is no other coach who's been able to keep all those balls in the air and be as successful.

:pop: is a wizard.

Robz4000
04-02-2012, 04:56 PM
(golf clap)

When and if the Spurs win the title...then you can all praise him to high fuckin' heavens...until then...

The same way that he is being praised right now---should be the same way he gets criticized if the Spurs don't win the title.

Did you forget to blue text? Compared to the other teams in realistic contention (Heat, Thunder, Bulls), Spurs have the least amount of talent.

TheSkeptic
04-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Did you forget to blue text? Compared to the other teams in realistic contention (Heat, Thunder, Bulls), Spurs have the least amount of talent.

I don't know about that.

Outside of Derrick Rose and maybe Deng, I wouldn't say the Bulls are absolutely loaded with talent.

jjktkk
04-02-2012, 05:00 PM
(golf clap)

Maybe if Pop sent you some more Bon bons, would you change your mond? How bout A TC gift card?

Solid D
04-02-2012, 05:52 PM
The Spurs were the best in the West in March. That RRT was amazing and then going 3-0 on the b2b2b while resting players was classic. Well deserved, Pop.

and then there is this...
Yes it is, but honestly this all depends on Pop & how comfortable he is giving Splitter minutes with Tim, but based on his utter lack of intelligence & just plain ignorance I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't play him at all with Tim.

lefty
04-02-2012, 05:57 PM
It's a good thing he didnt have to face Phil Jackson in March.

benefactor
04-02-2012, 05:59 PM
:tu

therealtruth
04-02-2012, 06:09 PM
To Pop's credit he has handled injuries much better than he did last season. Remember the 6 game losing streak?

lefty
04-02-2012, 06:21 PM
To Pop's credit he has handled injuries much better than he did last season. Remember the 6 game losing streak?

Yeah

But we werent as deep last season

Nathan89
04-02-2012, 06:35 PM
The true test is in the playoffs. Then we will see how well he prepared the team for the playoffs. Last year he did a terrible job. He's making the same decisions this year but the team is much better.

100%duncan
04-02-2012, 09:04 PM
(golf clap)

:sleep

Reck
04-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Should win Coach of the Year in my opinion.

Only questionable move he made was resting the 3 guys that one time. Otherwise, nice job.

silverblk mystix
04-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Should win Coach of the Year in my opinion.

Only questionable move he made was resting the 3 guys that one time. Otherwise, nice job.

So it sounds as if Pop wins COY ...and the Spurs don't win a title..you guys will be ecstatic....

Therein lies the problem with all the Popsuckers...you are happy/content to just have a team that does pretty well...as long as Pop is the coach...

angelbelow
04-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Very fitting.

IMO, Pop for COY, RC for Executive of the year, Parker for top 5 MVP finish, Leonard for 1st team all rookie and Splitter for most improved consideration.

TheSkeptic
04-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Very fitting.

IMO, Pop for COY, RC for Executive of the year, Parker for top 5 MVP finish, Leonard for 1st team all rookie and Splitter for most improved consideration.

I might agree depending on how the playoffs go. Serious question:

Can a second year player even get consideration for MIP?

Reck
04-02-2012, 09:39 PM
So it sounds as if Pop wins COY ...and the Spurs don't win a title..you guys will be ecstatic....

Therein lies the problem with all the Popsuckers...you are happy/content to just have a team that does pretty well...as long as Pop is the coach...

Winning Coach of the Year and winning a championship are on different sides of the spectrum.

You earn that title for guiding your team through the regular season to a successful one. What you do in the playoffs is another story.

There is a reason why wins/losses get reset to 0 once the Playoff start.

Blake
04-02-2012, 09:51 PM
(golf clap)

if the Spurs were to fire Pop, who do you think they could get to replace him?

angelbelow
04-02-2012, 10:01 PM
I might agree depending on how the playoffs go. Serious question:

The awards are based on regular season basketball. So IMO, Pop, RC, Parker all deserve serious consideration for regular season awards.

Can a second year player even get consideration for MIP?

My guess is yes, but unlikely to actually win the award. And to clarify, I don't think Splitter deserves the award. But I'd like to see him get some consideration, maybe Green too.

I'm always a big supporter in Spurs players getting media attention (allstar games, season awards, mid season discussion) because I think keeps the ownership happy. Positive exposure is always a great return of investment.

Solid D
04-02-2012, 10:26 PM
(golf clap)

Big ***** deal....with all that talent he should win a title...

When and if the Spurs win the title...then you can all praise him to high *****' heavens...until then...

You're a no-win skeptic, or at least pretending to be. If you are really this way in life then you must either 1) live alone, 2) live with your parents or 3) will be at choices 1 or 2 soon.

silverblk mystix
04-02-2012, 10:34 PM
if the Spurs were to fire Pop, who do you think they could get to replace him?

You Blake/Cummdumpster.

timtonymanu
04-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Typical gnsf. Calls for Pop's head but can't even come up with a name of a coach who can replace Pop.

I agree with Solid D, tbh.

silverblk mystix
04-02-2012, 10:43 PM
You're a no-win skeptic, or at least pretending to be. If you are really this way in life then you must either 1) live alone, 2) live with your parents or 3) will be at choices 1 or 2 soon.

For the record...Pop deserves to be coach of the month or season...whatever...that is all fine...he probably deserves it.

The real issue here is that the only thing that really,really matters is who wins the title.

If Pop and the Spurs don't win a title...then WGAF who was coach of the year?

Pop has failed 4 years in a row...and in those 4 years...Pop was one of the biggest reasons that the Spurs failed. So this year it is title or bust. With all the talent Pop has now...there is just no reason to fail.

I stand by what I said several times...Can the Spurs win the title IN SPITE OF POP?

Talk to me at the end of the season....either I will willingly admit I know shit and eat a big pile of shit and praise Pop to high heaven after the spurs win a title...

or...

You and the rest of the Popsuckers admit that Pop is the spurs main problem after the Spurs get eliminated and Pop gets schooled by a nobody coach.

We'll see.

...and thanks for the concern but I am a regular happily married happy go lucky guy most of the time...

I am just tired of Pop fucking up my team for 4 years in a row now and I gave Pop the benefit of the doubt for the last time ---LAST SEASON!

If you guys are happy and think Pop is the end-all be-all of coaching...good for you...

jjktkk
04-02-2012, 10:46 PM
For the record...Pop deserves to be coach of the month or season...whatever...that is all fine...he probably deserves it.

The real issue here is that the only thing that really,really matters is who wins the title.

If Pop and the Spurs don't win a title...then WGAF who was coach of the year?

Pop has failed 4 years in a row...and in those 4 years...Pop was one of the biggest reasons that the Spurs failed. So this year it is title or bust. With all the talent Pop has now...there is just no reason to fail.

I stand by what I said several times...Can the Spurs win the title IN SPITE OF POP?

Talk to me at the end of the season....either I will willingly admit I know shit and eat a big pile of shit and praise Pop to high heaven after the spurs win a title...

or...

You and the rest of the Popsuckers admit that Pop is the spurs main problem after the Spurs get eliminated and Pop gets schooled by a nobody coach.

We'll see.

...and thanks for the concern but I am a regular happily married happy go lucky guy most of the time...

I am just tired of Pop fucking up my team for 4 years in a row now and I gave Pop the benefit of the doubt for the last time ---LAST SEASON!

If you guys are happy and think Pop is the end-all be-all of coaching...good for you...

I doubt you even watch the games.

DMC
04-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Thibbs is a good coach, aint done shit yet though. It seems that in the past decade or so, people have begun to heap praise upon people based on expectations instead of results.

DMC
04-02-2012, 10:52 PM
blah blah blah ramble...

You: "Pop sucks, fire him"

You again: "Pop probably deserves best coach awards, but that doesn't matter"

You yet again: "Titles are what matter"

Pop has 4 titles

You yet again and again; "ya but what about this year? That's what matters, basically anything that cannot be proven yet is what matters, as long as I don't have to eat that shit sandwich I've been building all season"

DesignatedT
04-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Stop replying to that jackoff. What a fucking idiot.

Yeah, people who support Popovich would rather him win COY than the Spurs win the title. Dude go away.

Blake
04-02-2012, 11:09 PM

who is a better available coach out there the Spurs could get?

SpursRock20
04-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Props to Pop, he deserves it.

mkurts
04-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Well done Pop.

silverblk mystix
04-02-2012, 11:45 PM
lotta butthurt over anyone not sucking off Pop...

silverblk mystix
04-02-2012, 11:52 PM
I doubt you even watch the games.

Not that you really care to hear anything other than what you already believe...but here is some truth;

Yes, Pop is a good coach. Yes, Pop deserves this accolade.
Yes, I watch every game and re-watch.

Yes, I hope I am wrong and I actually will man up and eat shit here in front of all of you.

Yes, Pop was also doing a fantastic job at this time last season.

No, I will never forget how badly Pop fucked things up with the Bonner/Tiago fiasco.

Yes,Bonner is still a heavy rotation player...and ...

No, I don't trust that Pop can help himself and play the players that give you the best shot to win...

IN THE PLAYOFFS!

That is truth. If you and others deem that this makes me a (insert insulting adjectives here...)

it won't phase me.

T Park
04-02-2012, 11:55 PM
I see Fabbs has multiple accounts.

Man all the positive Pop talk really pisses these guys off :lol
Great stuff.

silverblk mystix
04-02-2012, 11:56 PM
who is a better available coach out there the Spurs could get?

OK...

I know I am pissing in the wind here...but I will respond...

What I would actually hope for is this;

That Pop plays the players that give you the best chance to win in the playoffs and then the Spurs win the title.

I don't even want Pop gone if this happens...

Isn't that what everyone wants?

I just have to admit that I hope for this every year and every year Pop shits the bed in the playoffs--but yes-- he has also won 4 titles and that is not what this season is about.

Every year is a new year and aren't players still held up to scrutiny for their current production?

Coaches should also be held by this same standard.

Mel_13
04-03-2012, 12:03 AM
Coaches should also be held by this same standard.

:lol

Your standard of success for Pop is a championship. Anything else, to you, is a failure.

Solid D
04-03-2012, 12:11 AM

Your standard of success for Pop is a championship. Anything else, to you, is a failure.
You sure about that? "With all that talent, he should win a championship"...remember? A championship just barely meets expectations......but let's not get all crazy if they win a championship this year. He has a lot of making up to do for lost time and the wasted talent years.

silverblk mystix
04-03-2012, 12:26 AM

Well, somebody finally got it right.

If you don't think that anything but a title is the goal...then you can be happy in mediocrity. Congrats.

therealtruth
04-03-2012, 02:44 AM
I don't think the standard of success is necessarily a championship. The standard of success should be not getting outcoached and not using dumb strategies or rotations that are not working.

If you've played your best players the most minutes and used good strategies that maximize the talent there's not much more you can do.

TheSkeptic
04-03-2012, 03:10 AM
I don't think the standard of success is necessarily a championship. The standard of success should be not getting outcoached and not using dumb strategies or rotations that are not working.

If you've played your best players the most minutes and used good strategies that maximize the talent there's not much more you can do.

This is pretty much how I feel about it tbh. I mean, you can't expect to win them all.

Mel_13
04-03-2012, 08:37 AM
This is pretty much how I feel about it tbh. I mean, you can't expect to win them all.

Would you agree that whether or not a coach has led his team to their optimal, or near optimal, performance level is very much a subjective judgement?

Rapper
04-03-2012, 08:44 AM
This is such a great honor. back to back named

Does Pop have a chance to the coach of the year tbh?

Keepin' it real
04-03-2012, 09:05 AM

If you don't think that anything but a title is the goal...then you can be happy in mediocrity. Congrats.

"Lighten up, Francis."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k

Mel_13
04-03-2012, 09:08 AM

It's hard to believe you're a grown man and not some emo teenager.

Nobody said that a championship was not the goal. You've made it a minimum requirement.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-03-2012, 09:37 AM
I'm afraid to go all in for my team, so I'll sit on the sidelines and throw rocks.

EVAY
04-03-2012, 09:57 AM
We have all watched Pop work harder coaching this year than he has in the past several years. He is really up for this season, and he has been far more active than we have seen in the past few seasons.

This is what he can do when he is really on HIS game.

I don't know if it will get us a championship or not, but this season is the best coaching job Pop has done in several years and props to him for it.

It has been a great run. If we can't match up with a Miami or Ok City or Chicago (depending on who is healthy on which team when the time comes), then so be it...but he has sure put everybody (including himself) in the position to give it a great run.

FromWayDowntown
04-03-2012, 10:24 AM
It always fascinates me to read the thoughts of those who are outside the Spurs realm marvel at Popovich -- revering his schemes, lauding his tactics, envying his management of games and seasons, wishing their teams had a guy like him -- and then to come back here and read the criticisms that so many offer about him.

Solid D
04-03-2012, 10:38 AM
It always fascinates me to read the thoughts of those who are outside the Spurs realm marvel at Popovich -- revering his schemes, lauding his tactics, envying his management of games and seasons, wishing their teams had a guy like him -- and then to come back here and read the criticisms that so many offer about him.

Over-the-top cynics will just have to give themselves a pep talk into settling for excellence.

Bluebonnets are just weeds to some folks.

timvp
04-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Even if the Spurs win a championship this year, that doesn't make up for the five other championships Pop ruined over the years.

Sincerely,

New Age Spurs Fans That Should Look Into Following Another Sport

FromWayDowntown
04-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Over-the-top cynics will just have to give themselves a pep talk into settling for excellence.

Bluebonnets are just weeds to some folks.

FromWayDowntown
04-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Even if the Spurs win a championship this year, that doesn't make up for the five other championships Pop ruined over the years.

Sincerely,

No doubt -- 4 out of 15 gets dudes demoted to the minors in baseball.

By the way, it just struck me that 50 games into this season, the Spurs record (36-14) is one game -- only one game!! -- behind their 1999 50 game record (37-13).

100%duncan
04-03-2012, 10:51 AM
GNSF solidifying their status tbh.

WeNeedLength
04-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Props Pop. :toast

These last few games will really help us (hopefully) figure out what sort of rotation he will be using going into the playoffs.

And LOL at people using a COTM award to trash on him. "But, but, but this award means nothing! Pop doesn't have 11 titles like Phil Jackson so he's only as good as D'Antoni! :cry"

silverblk mystix
04-03-2012, 11:54 AM

Sincerely,

A lot of short term memory here...and LOL at the ones throwing out the "not a real fan" card at someone who has been a Spurs fan since 1973.

I will be man enough to eat shit if the Spurs go all the way.
Most of you will rationalize and justify Pop's nutty decisions once you feel the sting of another elimination and another of Timmy's years wasted...

There have been numerous posts here about Pop and how he screwed up...but this was the same sentiment last season...and for a little while...you guys were upset...

Then a few months, a couple of front office moves and some regular season wins...and you guys are all aflame with Pop love.

Will you guys be man enough this season if the Spurs get eliminated in a similar fashion as last season with Bonner playing a major role?

We'll see....put up or shut up.

I will admit I was wrong about Pop and I will be happy to be wrong...but you guys won't have the balls to acknowledge that Pop failed the team again-should that happen.

lefty
04-03-2012, 11:56 AM

Sincerely,

http://www.gatorzone.com/basketball/men/images/bioimg2002/bonner.jpghttp://www.gatorzone.com/basketball/men/images/bioimg2002/bonner.jpghttp://www.gatorzone.com/basketball/men/images/bioimg2002/bonner.jpghttp://www.gatorzone.com/basketball/men/images/bioimg2002/bonner.jpghttp://www.gatorzone.com/basketball/men/images/bioimg2002/bonner.jpg

Mel_13
04-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Emotional meltdown continues.

smh

benefactor
04-03-2012, 12:21 PM
It's hard to believe you're a grown man and not some emo teenager.

It's more common than you think. My hospital houses many grown men that act like this.

Brazil
04-03-2012, 01:10 PM
I don't see what is the problem with giving Pop props for his tremendous job and questioning him on some decisions he made.

Pop is a great coach maybe the best in NBA today for a lot of reasons: minutes management, ego management, health management, game plan, work ethic, win culture... but he has, like everybody, his flaws. There is nothing wrong to question that.

I'm not defending silverblk but he said pop is a great coach, he just feels pop is not coaching on the right direction to have a chance in POs despite we have the talents to win it all. Thats fine for me, this is his opinion after all.

As for me I consider that we have a very talented roster but not at Miami or OKC levels. These teams have at least two super stars in their prime with some solid role players. I wouldn't consider a failure to not win it all. I think WCF is our selling, better than that would be for me going above expectations.

Even if I'm pissed at Pop numerous time, he is one of the greatest reason of Spurs sucesses. I'll miss him for sure when he will retire.

Obstructed_View
04-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Good for Pop, and good for the voters. It was a bit annoying hearing people sing praises for OKC for being on such a hot streak, when they were probably the first team in history to win six games in a row and lose a game in the standings.

silverblk mystix
04-12-2012, 08:34 AM

lefty
04-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Emotional meltdown continues.

smh
Fail