PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs could beat OKC in the WCF.

tlongII
04-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Unfortunately they will most likely play the Lakers in the semi-finals and there is no way they can win that series. The Lakers will get to the WCF, but then they will get curb-stomped by OKC. It's just one of those matchup things... OKC can't beat the Spurs, the Spurs can't beat the Lakers, and the Lakers can't beat OKC.

Mel_13
04-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Unfortunately they will have most likely play the Lakers in the semi-finals and there is no way they can win that series. The Lakers will get to the WCF, but then they will get curb-stomped by OKC. It's just one of those matchup things... OKC can't beat the Spurs, the Spurs can't beat the Lakers, and the Lakers can't beat OKC.

Where's the thread calling for the NBA to fine Portland's management?

Unbeavable, tbh..

TheSkeptic
04-02-2012, 04:22 PM
I'd hold off on making these predictions until the Spurs have played the Lakers this season, but I do agree with you for the most part.

timvp
04-02-2012, 04:26 PM
OKC can't beat the Spurs, the Spurs can't beat the Lakers, the Lakers can't beat OKC and the Lakers can't beat Portland.

Too bad your team can't hold up their end of the bargain and take advantage of the fact that the Lakers wilt when they enter Portland city limits.

mabrignani
04-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Haha I don't agree with this guy but damn y'all aren't even attacking his argument, you're attacking the team have likes management lol

DAF86
04-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Haha I don't agree with this guy but damn y'all aren't even attacking his argument, you're attacking the team have likes management lol

It's like when you post something and nobody even cares to read what you wrote and just respond with "lol Italy".

Mel_13
04-02-2012, 04:44 PM

You're apparently not familiar with tlong's work on this board. Bring up all the threads he's started and it will make more sense.

chazley
04-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Lakers have a worse bench than the Bobcats - they aren't doing shit this year.

Gospursel
04-02-2012, 04:55 PM
too early to tell. we've got the 11th, 17th, and 20th to learn more.

TD 21
04-02-2012, 06:54 PM
My thoughts on why the Spurs stand a good chance against the Thunder . . .

They absolutely can beat them. This reminds me of the Cavs-Magic in '09. The Cavs were the favorites, they had the next one and people were ready to anoint them because they had pre-determined that it was "their time". When in reality, the Magic had handled them for a few seasons running. Yet that was largely ignored. Fast forward three years and we have the West version of that.

The Thunder overwhelm most teams with their explosive offense, but the Spurs aren't one of those teams. Not only do they not overwhelm them, but the Spurs actually have far superior scoring depth. Many claim this doesn't mean as much in the playoffs, but that's only true if your rotation is going to drastically change; I don't believe the Spurs' will. They'll continue to play 9-10 guys for more than spot minutes. And it's not like the Thunder's stars can play much more than they did in those two defeats. So I don't buy that that advantage will be mitigated to a large extent.

The other thing the Spurs have in their favor is, their greatest weaknesses are their lack of a closing PF and defending bigs who are proficient with their back to the basket (particularly those with girth). But against the Thunder, who generally close with Durant at PF, the former is irrelevant. The Spurs can simply slide Leonard -- who's defended Durant well this season, by the way -- to PF and play Jackson at the three. The latter is also irrelevant, as the Thunder don't have a single big who fits the description I talked about.

Most impressive about the Spurs wins over them this season is that they came without Ginobili. While the Thunder, as usual, weren't missing a key player.

100%duncan
04-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Portland could make the playoffs.... not!

tlongII
04-02-2012, 09:03 PM
This thread isn't about Portland.

Mel_13
04-02-2012, 09:04 PM

Every thread you start is about Portland.

DPG21920
04-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Thong - are you rooting for SA

100%duncan
04-02-2012, 09:09 PM

This is the Spurs forum. Go post your "thoughts" in the other forum. Dumbshit. WE NO CARE WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT US.

DPG21920
04-02-2012, 09:11 PM
100% why so angry :lol? He's a nice dude

angelbelow
04-02-2012, 09:11 PM
I really enjoyed watching Roy play. Especially in 4th quarters where he would exude the confidence found in some of the better clutch players in NBA history.

If hes serious about making a comeback, I hope he leaves his princess attitude behind because he'll be a role player at best.

100%duncan
04-02-2012, 09:13 PM

Just my usual posts,tbh. :lol...:ihit

angelbelow
04-02-2012, 09:16 PM

Just my usual posts,tbh. :lol...:ihit

Haha no joke, you almost always respond in an angry fashion.

100%duncan
04-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Haha no joke, you almost always respond in an angry fashion.

No shit. :depressed

urunobili
04-02-2012, 09:20 PM
That kid Anthony Davis playing for Kentucky will be a HOF'er...

Wild Cobra Kai
04-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Everyone is assuming that LA gets out of the first round. Right now, they are staring down the Grizz, who could TOTALLY beat them.

update: the Grizz just hopped the Mavs for #5, but it's still a very possible matchup.

Sean Cagney
04-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Every thread you start is about Portland.

Last year he was so high on them starting threads, this year not a peep :lol:lol Now it's not about the Blazers, wonder why?

100%duncan
04-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Last year he was so high on them starting threads, this year not a peep :lol:lol Now it's not about the Blazers, wonder why?

This year it ain't about knees too.

Seventyniner
04-02-2012, 11:23 PM

tlong decided to blow up his posting habits when the Blazers blew up the team.

tlongII
04-12-2012, 12:53 AM
Told ya.

Robz4000
04-12-2012, 12:57 AM
Not convinced yet tbh. Let's see what a game looks like without MWP, Bynum, Barnes, and Blake going GOAT and Kobe going off for 30 points on 25 shots.

DeadlyDynasty
04-12-2012, 01:02 AM
tlong is 100% right here. it's all about matchups, and those 3 teams kinda round-robin one another like he said.

There's no way on God's green Earth that San Antonio can beat the Lakers 4 times in a series, barring injury. It's hard to fathom them winning 2 tbh. They aren't physical, they can't lock you down on D, and their frontline rotations don't work in the playoffs. You can't play faggy basketball like they do and get away with it in the playoffs.

These are things we know.

Sean Cagney
04-12-2012, 01:18 AM
Told ya.

And your team is still ass and outta the playoffs! What good does this do you? You see one game and say told ya, well did the playoffs start yet? Are we out yet from one game? Atleast we got a shot still, your team is done and has been for years.

mercos
04-12-2012, 01:24 AM
We are stuck in a rock-paper-scissors conundrum. If Pop continues with the same rotations he has all season (nothing suggests otherwise) the Spurs will not beat the Lakers in the playoffs. Even if he does insert Splitter into the starting lineup it is still a long shot. Neither Splitter nor Duncan can match the Lakers bigs in minutes. Duncan is just to old at this point, and Splitter has not shown the stamina to last 35+ nor has he been given the chance to build it up. Bonner, Diaw, and Blair will be chewed up and spit out by Gasol and Bynum. We can not avoid those match ups entirely even if Splitter starts.

As for OKC, I can not see them beating the Spurs in a 7 game series. As bad as a match up nightmare the Lakers are the Spurs, the Spurs are an even worse one for OKC. At best they take the Spurs to six games. The Spurs are deeper and more experienced than the Thunder and have owned them lately.

I think a Lakers-Thunder series would be competitive, but the Thunder's athleticism would win out in the end. If that series were to take place it would have a very passing of the torch kind of feel.