PDA

View Full Version : Patty Mills shares Aussie connection with Brett Brown (Assist. Coach)

goPaTTY!
04-03-2012, 12:36 AM
Source:
http://www.nba.com/spurs/timeout/20secondto.html

Patty Mills has only been with the Spurs for about a week, but from all indications, it looks like he will fit right in. The 23 year old native of Canberra, Australia gives the Spurs some quickness, tenacity, and experience at the backup point guard spot, and just as importantly, will add to the chemistry of an already tight locker room. Spurs assistant Brett Brown says he really didn't have to sell Mills to Head Coach Gregg Popovich. "Pop spent some time with us during the summer, and he knows the kind of player and person Patty is," says Brown, who is the head coach of the Australian National Team. When Brown speaks of Mills, he uses terms like "tough" "smart" and "waterbug". He says Mills is good at defending point guards and harassing them length of the floor.
Mills says playing for Brown during the summer will make his transition to the Spurs a lot easier, "I fit in easily I think. The sets and the terms are exactly what we use for the national team", says Mills. "When we first scripted the plays after I signed I was able to fit in and go ahead and run the plays without any teaching or anything, so I think that will be a big advantage for me."
Mills' talent has already caught the attention of his new teammates, including the player who had been filling in some at backup point guard. Gary Neal commented, "Patty brings a lot of energy, especially on the defensive end. In the Phoenix game he was able to come in and pick up Steve Nash full court and kind of disrupt their offense. That was huge and a key to us winning that game, and he can also make shots as he did in Sacramento." Against the Kings, Mills hit a corner 3 pointer and scored seven points in his second game in a Spurs uniform.
Mills is looking forward to playing with the Spurs and making a positive contribution. "It's kind of great when you look at it now and I've got a chance to play with guys like this. For me it's just a great opportunity to be alongside these players."