PDA

View Full Version : Hollinger: Free Agent Bargain List (Danny Green included)

Uriel
04-03-2012, 03:48 AM
Looking for another Mr. Wright (By John Hollinger)

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0401/nba_g_bwrightts_576.jpg

Brandan Wright was essentially unwanted a year ago. Included as a throw-in to a Golden State-New Jersey trade, out of the rotation and injured (uhhh-gain), he was near the bottom of most team's lists of free-agent targets.

Now? He's pushing the reigning NBA Finals MVP for the team lead in PER, narrowly trailing a certain German by 22.06 to 21.72. While this comparison flatters Mr. Wright rather generously -- he has to be spotted in zone defenses or against non-scorers because he can't handle anybody even remotely physical, and his 64.9 true shooting percentage is likely to regress earthward -- there's no question that Dallas has found enormous value in a scrap-heap pickup.

The Mavericks are likely to continue receiving value into the future too, as they smartly tagged a team portion for next year onto Wright's minimum-contract deal -- making him far and away the biggest steal from last season's free-agent market.

This wasn't just blind luck, though. Wright had two characteristics that marked him as a potential high-reward free agent: 1) He was thought of highly enough to be a lottery pick in 2007, and 2) his per-minute numbers as an NBA player have always been good; he just kept getting injured and couldn't overcome the Warriors' phenomenal capacity for eating their young.

Which takes us to this coming summer, and the obvious question: Who might this year's Brandan Wright be? Or, more generally, which low-cost potential free agents out there might provide outsized value a year from now?

Skimming through the league's potential free agents, here are a few we've picked out that meet several of the criteria and should be available for the midlevel exception or less. You can call it my "Mr. Wright" Team:

Jason Thompson, Sacramento. The most expensive player on this list, Thompson meets two important criteria: He's a former lottery pick, and his development has been hampered by a bad organization that on two occasions tried to convert the 6-foot-11 board beast into a small forward.

Thompson has shown some strides this season too, posting five straight double-doubles before spraining his ankle two weeks ago, and this wasn't the cheap 11-and-10 stuff -- he had at least 19 and 15 three times and shot an impressive 38-of-58 for the stretch. For the season he sports a career-high PER, and while he's a restricted free agent he may be attainable depending on the Kings' approach to their cap space.

Marreese Speights, Memphis: If you're looking for flaws, Speights has them. He shoots nearly every time he gets the ball, he doesn't defend with much enthusiasm, and he's had trouble with conditioning. He's also seen his PER decline in each of his four pro seasons, and we're not sure what was going through his mind when this picture (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/player/hollinger/_/id/3460/marreese-speights) was taken.

On the other hand ... he rebounds like a 5 (Rebound Rate over 16 each of the past two seasons), he has the size to play the position, and his deadly midrange J can be a huge floor-spacing weapon. Speights is only 24 and had a PER above the league average in each of his first three pro seasons; he's barely under the 15.00 league average at 14.53 this season. It's possible his negatives overwhelm the positives, but as a value signing there's a lot to like here.

Alonzo Gee, Cleveland: Unlike the other guys on this list, Gee wasn't a lottery pick -- in fact he went undrafted. But he's done a lot of work since to make himself into a two-way weapon at the small forward spot, and at 24 he can still get better. He's improved enough as an outside shooter for opponents to respect him, though his 3-point stroke remains a work in progress, plus he's a beastly rebounder for his size and has the strength and athleticism to defend most 3s despite being an inch or two short for the position.

None of that would lead me to shower him with riches, but the potential for improvement and the solid play this season make him another strong value candidate.

Omer Asik, Chicago: Oh, you thought you'd get out of here without some Asik props? Think again. Despite Chef Linguini's propensity for horrible turnovers and maddening inability to make a free throw, he's become even better in several other respects. Asik boasts a dominant 19.8 rebound rate, rejects nearly three shots per 40 minutes, and has a respectable 13.81 PER.

But I love Asik because of his defense. He and Taj Gibson combine to shut down opponents when they come in off the bench. Last season the Bulls gave up 9.85 fewer points per 100 possessions with Asik in the game; this season that figure is 7.70. What makes that number so amazing is that Asik was replacing Joakim Noah, who is a darned good defensive center. But Asik takes things up another notch.

He's a restricted free agent, and historically teams have been reluctant to pay for guys with a career scoring average of 3.0. But he'll be a bargain.

Goran Dragic, Houston: Dragic's talent was clear even while he was regressing for Phoenix last season. And now that Kyle Lowry is out, he's showing it. In 14 games as a starter, he's averaging 17.1 points, 9.1 assists and 1.9 steals and is shooting 52.1 percent from the floor while helping to keep the ragtag Rockets in the Western Conference playoff race. (Quick reminder: Phoenix traded Dragic and a first-rounder to Houston last February for Aaron Brooks).

Dragic can be a bit erratic, and having the best sustained stretch of his career heading into contract time may strike some as a bit suspicious. But he's big and athletic for the position, he's 25, and he's still developing as a shooter. He won't come as cheaply as Wright, but he could pay big dividends.

Jerryd Bayless, Toronto: Bayless is working on his third team and hasn't gained much career traction in his four pro seasons, but he was quietly having a good year in Toronto before a torn oblique muscle ended his season last week. He's averaging a point every two minutes with a solid TS% (56.1), and he's not just jacking either -- he's averaged nearly seven assists per 40 minutes over the past two seasons.

While he'll never be a pure point guard, his knack for getting to the basket and drawing fouls has been complemented this season by a spike to 42.3 percent on 3s. Bayless has "Mr. Wright" potential on other levels too. He was a lottery pick, he's been traded twice, and he is still only 23. The combination of his injury and his playing in Toronto may leave him well under the radar this summer, but as a high-scoring combo guard he's one to keep an eye on.

Brandon Rush, Golden State: He's a little old for this list at 26, but scouts have always been fond of Rush's athleticism. Additionally, the 2008 lottery pick always had solid defensive chops; it was his other numbers that got him in trouble. Rush had a maddening tendency to vanish into thin air -- he was the master of the 40-minute, two-point, one-rebound effort in Indiana -- Rush has concentrated on his 3-point shot in Golden State to great effect.

He's at 44.4 percent from long range this season while taking half his shots from there; he's now at 41.0 percent for his career. A career 41 percent 3-point shooter who defends? I'd say that's a weapon a lot of teams could use as a role-playing wingman, especially if he's also converting more than half his 2-pointers, as he has this season.

Ian Mahinmi, Dallas: It would be somewhat ironic if next year's Brandan Wright is made expendable by this year's Brandan Wright. A developmental pick by the Spurs in 2005, it's hard to believe Mahinmi is still only 25. He's made slow but steady progress when he hasn't been injured, but Wright is crowding him out of minutes in the Mavericks' frontcourt.

Nonetheless, Mahinmi has value as a big man who can finish (TS% above 60 in all four pro seasons), make short jumpers and rebound. While he's a bit between a 4 and a 5 (a problem he shares with Thompson), he's a valuable rotation big man now and may still get better.

Gerald Green, New Jersey: Green had no idea how to play basketball when he came into the league out of high school, which is why he washed out despite superb athleticism after Boston drafted him 18th overall in 2005.
Now that he's 26 and has had some seasoning in the D-League, Green has been electrifying. He's averaging a point every two minutes for the Nets, shooting 37.3 percent on 3s and delivering at least one highlight-reel jam per game. The 6-8 small forward has always had elite athleticism; now that he's combined it with a solid jumper and improved basketball acumen, he's become among the league's most potent bench scorers. He's off the radar in New Jersey, but his elite athleticism makes him a great value candidate this summer.

Anthony Randolph, Minnesota: Probably the closest comp to Wright in terms of body type and history, Randolph ran into trouble after showing initial promise in Golden State and attitude questions have dogged him in stops in New York and Minnesota.
But as a value free agent, he has Mr. Wright potential because of his ability to finish at the basket and block shots -- just like Wright. He's 22, like Wright was a year ago. And like Wright, he's thought lowly of despite never having a PER below the league average. Doesn't mean he'll turn out like Wright, especially if he doesn't go to a strong organization. But the potential is there.

Danny Green, San Antonio: I hadn't understood why Green didn't get more attention before this season; he'd produced everywhere he'd played but didn't show the eye-popping athleticism that gets a player into a scout's notebook. Green has been this year's honorable mention Brandan Wright, starting 22 games for one of the league's best teams and hitting 38.7 percent of his 3s. He's produced at both ends, too, often guarding opponents' top perimeter threats and rebounding far better than most 6-6 guards.

Green is 24 and will be a free agent again this summer; while he may not stay under the radar depending on how the Spurs do in the playoffs, right now he wins the title of most anonymous contributor to an elite team.

Hasheem Thabeet, Portland: OK, let me end this with the most far-out suggestion of all: I still think Thabeet can be a productive NBA big man, and he'll probably be available on a minimum contract this summer. Clearly, picking him second overall three years ago was a bit overenthusiastic, and whatever team gets him will have to nurture some shaken confidence. But he has an overwhelming NBA skill with a career average of 3.3 blocks per 40 minutes, he finishes shots around the basket, and he can make a 10-footer.

When you tick off those skills it doesn't sound too dissimilar from Brandan Wright, actually -- another long, slender big man who was pounded by big centers but found a niche playing in zones. Thabeet's value will be in those alignments as well, and at 7-3 he'll be an imposing figure if he can stay close to the basket.

Honorable mention: John Lucas III, Chicago; Delonte West, Dallas; Donte' Greene, Sacramento; Jordan Hill, L.A. Lakers; Kyrylo Fesenko, Indiana.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/PERDiem-120402/nba-crop-possible-value-free-agents

will_spurs
04-03-2012, 04:01 AM
Ian Mahinmi, Dallas: It would be somewhat ironic if next year's Brandan Wright is made expendable by this year's Brandan Wright. A developmental pick by the Spurs in 2005, it's hard to believe Mahinmi is still only 25. He's made slow but steady progress when he hasn't been injured, but Wright is crowding him out of minutes in the Mavericks' frontcourt.

Nonetheless, Mahinmi has value as a big man who can finish (TS% above 60 in all four pro seasons), make short jumpers and rebound. While he's a bit between a 4 and a 5 (a problem he shares with Thompson), he's a valuable rotation big man now and may still get better.

elemento
04-03-2012, 04:08 AM
Nice to see Alonzo Gee getting some love as well.

Bruno
04-03-2012, 04:36 AM
Some of the players listed won't be bargains this summer. Dragic and Asik should get a lot of money. Other than that, Anthony Randolph would be a nice cheap gamble to make for Spurs. They should go after him.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-03-2012, 04:57 AM
Always thought Donte Greene could develop into a good player with his length and athleticism. If the Spurs lose Danny Green, he'd be a decent pick up.

Texas_Ranger
04-03-2012, 07:18 AM
I wouldn't be really that sad if we lose Green. He's good but very unconsistent...

Out of all this players Dragič will get the best contract, he's plaing like a star PG. If he was in NY he would be as popular as Lin was.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-03-2012, 07:22 AM
Always thought Donte Greene could develop into a good player with his length and athleticism. If the Spurs lose Danny Green, he'd be a decent pick up.

Not a big fan. He's always on the verge of, or actually falling out of the rotation of a perennial lottery team. He seems like a poor man's Diaw. Just re-sign the original.

Then again, I'm not all that fond of Brandan Wright.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-03-2012, 07:31 AM
I wouldn't be really that sad if we lose Green. He's good but very unconsistent...

Out of all this players Dragič will get the best contract, he's plaing like a star PG. If he was in NY he would be as popular as Lin was.

He hasn't even played a full season's worth of games yet in his career (78), and has shown amazing flashes of talent. Younger players, especially those picked off the scrap heap, are allowed to be inconsistent if they show progress. He has. His defense can be spotty at times, but is generally good. He's also out rebounding both Manu and Jack in comparable minutes. That's improtant on a team without many good bigs.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Funny how 4 of the 12 players mentioned are affliated with the Spurs. Gee, two years in the Spurs System, signed as an Undrafted FA. Green 2 1/2 years in the Spurs system signed after cut by Cavs (you wonder why they are bottom feeders, at least they picked up Gee) . Mahimni, 4 years in the Spurs System. Dragic was drafted by the Spurs but trade b/c the FO didn't think he could get a buyout in his contract which he was able to obtain. Otherwise, he would probably be backing up Parker right now.

This is just further proof that Spurs Scouts and FO sure no how to get bargain players that produce.

If Neal didn't sign an extension, I am sure he would be on this list right now as well.

Dragic was never a Spurs target. Just like The Brazillian Blur a few years earlier, he was a pick for Phoenix who wanted to move up, never for us. Take heart, though. Although Hairston was a bust, the extra pick we got turned into Blair. Not a bad "get" for swapping second rounders.

mkurts
04-03-2012, 07:36 AM
I wonder how Jerryd Bayless would fit if he were somehow picked up by the Spurs FO ?

100%duncan
04-03-2012, 09:23 AM
I would love to get Asik. Looking good in CHI tbh.

timvp
04-03-2012, 09:38 AM
I hope someone steals Asik from the Bulls. They have three stud defensive bigmen (Noah, Gibson and Asik) and that's the biggest reason why they're so good ... even more so than Derrick Rose's greatness.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-03-2012, 09:41 AM
I wonder how Jerryd Bayless would fit if he were somehow picked up by the Spurs FO ?

He's got a bad wheel. After all, he was drafted by Portland. :lol

Seriously, he's a poor man's George Hill.

100%duncan
04-03-2012, 09:48 AM
I hope someone steals Asik from the Bulls. They have three stud defensive bigmen (Noah, Gibson and Asik) and that's the biggest reason why they're so good ... even more so than Derrick Rose's greatness.

Can't we get him?

Leetonidas
04-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Can't wait til Asik and Gibson get big offers from other teams

100%duncan
04-03-2012, 10:03 AM
^ I'm sure the bulls will match Gibson's but I think they will let asik walk.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Can't we get him?

Nope. We'll likely only have the MLE this summer, and that will likely be used on Diaw. Chicago will be happy if someone throws an MLE offer sheet at him, and will match in about 5 seconds. You'll have to stupid overpay for a player with zero offense to pry him away from CHI.

100%duncan
04-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Nope. We'll likely only have the MLE this summer, and that will likely be used on Diaw. Chicago will be happy if someone throws an MLE offer sheet at him, and will match in about 5 seconds. You'll have to stupid overpay for a player with zero offense to pry him away from CHI.

Thanks for the info.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-03-2012, 10:18 AM
I'll be very curious to see what Green can get in the FA market.

I'm sure his playoff performance will be the judge of that.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-03-2012, 10:24 AM
I'll be very curious to see what Green can get in the FA market.

I'm sure his playoff performance will be the judge of that.

I think it's a new market for players, with the looming horrific tax penalties in a year or two. A couple of years ago, some team would have thrown a big chunk of the MLE at him. I'd be surprised at any offers at the mini MLE or more. Green is a spear carrier, third from the left. He's not a top 3 or 4 player on your team, he's a good rotation/glue guy. I'm thinking his offers will be from the minimum up to maybe $2M.

mountainballer
04-03-2012, 10:31 AM
agree about Randolph. he might be the only one on this list, who would offer something, that would be a currently missing quality. (athletic, shot blocking combo forward). his value might have dropped to a point, where the Spurs have a chance. (LLE contract?)

Jason Thompson, Sacramento. The most expensive player on this list, Thompson meets two important criteria: He's a former lottery pick, and his development has been hampered by a bad organization that on two occasions tried to convert the 6-foot-11 board beast into a small forward

Jason Thompson might be one of the least known players. first off, he may be listed 6-11, but he isn't. look when the Kings play. he is almost exactly the same size like Donte Green and he is significantly smaller than DMC. (who himself is closer to 6-10 than to the 6-11 he is listed). he is a decent rebounder, but "6-11 board beast"....common.

elemento
04-03-2012, 10:40 AM
I have the feeling a shit a team like the Raps will try to steal Green from SA. They always try to steal cheap players discovered by other teams overpaying. Last season they grabbed Gary Forbes from Denver. Even though i think that if Green is offered only Forbes money, we will match easily.

TimmehC
04-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Asik in silver and black would be amazing.

:lol Thabeet

TimmehC
04-03-2012, 11:30 AM
http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/spurs.jsp

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/11/report-nba-salary-cap-to-remain-at-58-million-rising-in-2012/

Spurs total salaries will be 50mil next year. (I deducted Anderson, Thomas and RJ and added SJ and Mills contracts). Next years cap will be at 60mil so the Spurs will more than likely have enough to resign Duncan and Greene without using the MLE which can be used on Diaw. So, this roster should remain entact going into next season. Probably the only player I would want to see the Spurs bring over is Ryan Richards.

No way Duncan and Green's new deals total $10M or less.

Also, Lorbek >>>>>>>> Richards.

Mel_13
04-03-2012, 11:35 AM
No way Duncan and Green's new deals total $10M or less.

And they don't have to. Spurs will use Bird Rights, not cap space, to sign Duncan and Green. The guy you quoted doesn't quite understand how the system works.

Mel_13
04-03-2012, 12:02 PM
I know that. There is no hard cap in place. But i was quoting the guy who said the Spurs would only have the MLE to use next year, so Green would more than likely be gone, which isn't the case. You are allowed to go over the designated cap to resign your own players. The MLE exception is still at 5mil for teams not over the Luxury Tax Threshold in 2011, which the Spurs aren't. The Luxury Tax level will probably be around $71-72mil next season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_salary_cap

So all in all the Spurs have around 21-22mil to resign Green, Duncan, Diaw, and pickup another player or two. I wouldn't mind the Spurs getting both Lorbek and Richards (put Richards with the Torros for a year).

The guy you quoted was talking about Asik, not Green.

Can't have both Diaw and Lorbek, unless you believe that one of them would sign for the LLE of 2yrs/4M. The Spurs only have one MLE and both of those players will be looking for all or most of the MLE.

It's not just about the aggregate amount between the total currently under contract and the tax level, you have to account for the limits of each exception that you are allowed to use.

Mel_13
04-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Exactly, the Spurs have wiggle room to resign Duncan and Green, who is by the way a RFA, and the MLE not to exceed 71 mil.

Spurs can work it where they sign Lorbek and Richard first for lets say around 4mil total (3.3mil Lorbek, 750k Richards), which leaves around 7mil in cap space. The Spurs resign Duncan for 9mil and Green for 3mil, which would put the Spurs at the 66mil dollar mark. The Spurs can use the Full 5mil MLE exception to sign Diaw if they wanted to. The Spurs FO has been brilliant at working contracts to get who they want on their roster. Green returning really hinges on how much Duncan wants to resign with the Spurs. I think he takes a slight Discount to come back to the Spurs.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2012/3/26/2897857/salary-cap-san-antonio-spurs-financial-jefferson-trade-jackson

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/FreeAgents-12-13/nba-free-agents-2012-2013

You can't use cap space and the MLE in the same season (and the Spurs wouldn't even have cap space in your scenario due to Duncan's cap hold). Your scenario to get Diaw and Lorbek isn't possible.

Mel_13
04-03-2012, 12:44 PM
There is no LLE (Bi Annual) in the new CBA.

Yes there is.

baseline bum
04-03-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure how much sense Randolph makes when the Spurs will already have Leonard, Jackson, and possibly Diaw. I don't see where the minutes come from, and I'd really love to keep Boris with how seamless the fit has looked so far.

Agloco
04-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Exactly, the Spurs have wiggle room to resign Duncan and Green, who is by the way a RFA, and the MLE not to exceed 71 mil.

Spurs can work it where they sign Lorbek and Richard first for lets say around 4mil total (3.3mil Lorbek, 750k Richards), which leaves around 7mil in cap space. The Spurs resign Duncan for 9mil and Green for 3mil, which would put the Spurs at the 66mil dollar mark. The Spurs can use the Full 5mil MLE exception to sign Diaw if they wanted to. The Spurs FO has been brilliant at working contracts to get who they want on their roster. Green returning really hinges on how much Duncan wants to resign with the Spurs. I think he takes a slight Discount to come back to the Spurs.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2012/3/26/2897857/salary-cap-san-antonio-spurs-financial-jefferson-trade-jackson

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/FreeAgents-12-13/nba-free-agents-2012-2013

FYI...... I wouldn't bother arguing the finer points of NBA finance with Bruno or Mel. You're better off debating nuclear physics with me tbh.

TimmehC
04-03-2012, 01:24 PM
You can't use cap space and the MLE in the same season (and the Spurs wouldn't even have cap space in your scenario due to Duncan's cap hold). Your scenario to get Diaw and Lorbek isn't possible.

Don't teams under the cap still get another exception in place of the MLE? I think I heard it referred to as a "Room Exception". You probably know better than me how teams would qualify for that.

Mel_13
04-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Yes you can. That is what the MLE is for, for teams to sign a player if there are already over the cap from resigning their own players under the new CBA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_salary_cap

Mid-level exception

"Before the 2011–12 season, it was available to any team that exceeded the salary cap at the beginning of the offseason; the MLE is now available to all teams."

Bi-annual exception

"The exception was eliminated following the 2011 NBA lockout (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NBA_lockout) as many high spending teams were using this as a tool to gain top paid players.[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_salary_cap#cite_note-coon_11282011-5)"

Sorry, but you're wrong.

If you're going to cite wikipedia, you should take the time to read the source article. You'll look a bit smarter that way.

Follow footnote 6.

Agloco
04-03-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm not sure how much sense Randolph makes when the Spurs will already have Leonard, Jackson, and possibly Diaw. I don't see where the minutes come from, and I'd really love to keep Boris with how seamless the fit has looked so far.

Ditch Bonner/Blair?

Dunno how you go about that though.

Mel_13
04-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Yes you can. That is what the MLE is for, for teams to sign a player if there are already over the cap from resigning their own players under the new CBA.

No, you can't.

You're either over the cap or under the cap.

If you're under, you can use your available cap space. If you use available cap space, you do not get to use the MLE that year.

Black and white.

The MLE is for teams over the cap.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Yes you can.

You can't because of Duncan's cap hold. I doubt you'd want to renounce his rights.

http://www.shamsports.com/whatthedeuce.htm

^ Use better sources than wikipedia ( or at least try to understand what is written before arguing ).

spursince#99
04-03-2012, 01:39 PM
No, you can't.

You're either over the cap or under the cap.

If you're under, you can use your available cap space. If you use available cap space, you do not get to use the MLE that year.

Black and white.

The MLE is for teams over the cap.

This is 100% correct

Wild Cobra Kai
04-03-2012, 01:43 PM
http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/spurs.jsp

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/11/report-nba-salary-cap-to-remain-at-58-million-rising-in-2012/

Spurs total salaries will be 50mil next year. (I deducted Anderson, Thomas and RJ and added SJ and Mills contracts). Next years cap will be at 60mil so the Spurs will more than likely have enough to resign Duncan and Greene without using the MLE which can be used on Diaw. So, this roster should remain entact going into next season. Probably the only player I would want to see the Spurs bring over is Ryan Richards.

Tim's rumored number is $12M. Bye bye cap room.

Mel_13
04-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Don't teams under the cap still get another exception in place of the MLE? I think I heard it referred to as a "Room Exception". You probably know better than me how teams would qualify for that.

Yes.

New exception for teams under the cap.

2yrs/5M

Wild Cobra Kai
04-03-2012, 01:55 PM
djd, you need to understand the concept of cap holds. Read up on it. Your FAs count against your cap at a higher figure than their old salary until you renounce or re-sign them.

Keeping Green: do-able.

Stealing Asik: no fucking way

Mel_13
04-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Bi Annual Exception got eliminated.

No. it didn't.

I'm done with you. Believe what you like. You believe Spanoulis is Manu 2.0 and that the Spurs offered him 3yrs/15M. You believe wiki articles are authoritative sources for information on the NBA CBA.

If you would actually like to become informed on this subject, read Larry Coon.

Here's his authoritative website:

https://webfiles.uci.edu/lcoon/cbafaq/salarycap.htm

And here's his summary of changes in the 2011 CBA (which you would have read if you followed the link in the wiki):

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/CBA-111128/how-new-nba-deal-compares-last-one

Good luck.

Mel_13
04-03-2012, 01:58 PM
You just validated my point. The Spurs have the option to resign Duncan and Green. If they don't and waive his rights, they are no longer under over the cap and the MLE doesn't apply. Now, you can resign your own players and and still get the MLE after the fact, which more than likely will apply to the Spurs this coming offseason.

You just can't exceed the Luxury Tax.

Wow, there's so much wrong in that one paragraph that it approaches the absurd.

:lmao

spursince#99
04-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Wow, there's so much wrong in that one paragraph that it approaches the absurd.

:lmao

so the Heat didn't exceed the luxury cap? :lmao:lmao:lmao

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-03-2012, 02:38 PM

So I guess this guy is off his rocker because he saids the very exact same thing. MLE applies to teams are over the cap after they resign their own players and draft picks.

What is so hard to understand. Just admit your wrong. Of your just a proud mo fo who doesn't want to be proven wrong. Keep on spinning it anyway you like because it just makes you look like a bigger moron and A$$.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Talking out of his ass : check
Citing sources without reading what is written : check
Thinking he knows it all and everyone else doesn't : check

djd, you'll find a lot of friends in the forum, man :rollin

therealtruth
04-03-2012, 03:19 PM
And they don't have to. Spurs will use Bird Rights, not cap space, to sign Duncan and Green. The guy you quoted doesn't quite understand how the system works.

Don't you need 3 years to get Bird rights? DG has only been here 2 years.

GSH
04-03-2012, 03:21 PM

So I guess this guy is off his rocker because he saids the very exact same thing. MLE applies to teams are over the cap after they resign their own players and draft picks.

What is so hard to understand. Just admit your wrong. Of your just a proud mo fo who doesn't want to be proven wrong. Keep on spinning it anyway you like because it just makes you look like a bigger moron and A$$.

donjuan - You've gotten some stuff twisted. Relax - it happens. Just slow down, and I'm sure you can clear it up.

I clipped this from Larry Coon, for a start. In my opinion, he explains the CBA better than anyone. This is his explanation of the new Mid-Level Exception rules out of the new CBA. You might check out his explanation of what is included in total team salary, for cap purposes.

Midlevel exception

• 2005 CBA: Five years starting at the average salary ($5.765 million in 2010-11), with 8 percent raises.

• 2011 CBA: For non-taxpaying teams, four years starting at $5 million (base salary grows by 3 percent annually beginning in 2013-14), with 4.5 percent raises. Taxpaying teams are limited to three years, a $3 million base salary (which grows by 3 percent annually beginning in 2013-14) and 4.5 percent raises. Teams with cap room (therefore losing their midlevel exception) get a new midlevel that is for two years and starts at $2.5 million (growing 3 percent annually).

• Who benefits? Very few full midlevel contracts handed out under the 2005 CBA turned out to be good bargains in their later years. Reducing the size and length of the midlevel exception will help teams rid themselves of bad contracts.

The new exception for teams with cap room will benefit teams that clear cap room to sign free agents. For example, in the summer of 2010 Miami gutted its roster in order to obtain James and Bosh. This left the Heat with a small amount of cap room to sign players like Mike Miller. But once they reached the salary cap, they could offer only minimum-salary contracts. Under the new CBA, once they reach the cap, they could still offer one or more players a total of $2.5 million.

Mel_13
04-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Don't you need 3 years to get Bird rights? DG has only been here 2 years.

EARLY BIRD EXCEPTION -- This is a weaker form of the Larry Bird exception, and is also a component of the Veteran Free Agent exception. Players who qualify for this exception are called "Early Qualifying Veteran Free Agents" in the CBA. A player qualifies for this exception essentially by playing two seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent (see question number 26 for details). A team may use this exception to re-sign its own free agent for up to 175% of his salary the previous season or the average player salary, whichever is greater.

https://webfiles.uci.edu/lcoon/cbafaq/salarycap.htm

Wild Cobra Kai
04-03-2012, 03:38 PM
You just validated my point. The Spurs have the option to resign Duncan and Green. If they don't and waive his rights, they are no longer under over the cap and the MLE doesn't apply. Now, you can resign your own players and and still get the MLE after the fact, which more than likely will apply to the Spurs this coming offseason.

You just can't exceed the Luxury Tax.

If you renounce your players, you can no longer use cap room or Bird rights to re-sign them. They can be signed to nothing more than a minimum contract. IN addition, by renouncing them, you go below the cap and lose the MLE.

People here have been talking cap and tax for close to a decade. It's OK if you don't know everything. It's not OK to scoff them and act like you do. Type less. Read more. Don't pick fights. I guarantee that if there's a loop hole you think you see, the NBA saw it at least 5 years ago, probably more, and they closed it.

therealtruth
04-03-2012, 04:00 PM
I guarantee that if there's a loop hole you think you see, the NBA saw it at least 5 years ago, probably more, and they closed it.

GSH
04-03-2012, 04:02 PM
I guarantee that if there's a loop hole you think you see, the NBA saw it at least 5 years ago, probably more, and they closed it.

Bam!

mountainballer
04-03-2012, 05:44 PM

wow. congratulations. 20 posts and your credibility level is already that low, that it would take at least 10000 perfectly reasonable posts to get back to the start. well, this forum knows only one person with such superpowers. KBP.

AFBlue
04-03-2012, 07:49 PM

AFBlue
04-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Good list. The only one that I disagree with is Thompson, because he's young, productive and very skilled. I think he's going to get paid, and paid well.

As for Danny, I think because of his limited ceiling he'll stay at an appropriately measured salary.

Mr Bones
06-04-2012, 05:22 PM
I like Thompson too but I'm sure some team will offer him something far above a bargain level contract. For the minimum, I still think Donte Greene would be a good investment. He can legitimately guard three positions and has great size (6'-11") for a small forward.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Some of the players listed won't be bargains this summer. Dragic and Asik should get a lot of money. Other than that, Anthony Randolph would be a nice cheap gamble to make for Spurs. They should go after him.

I think so too. Randolph's head is what has held him back, and the Spurs (especially Tim and Pop) seem to have a calming influence on headcases. I think we're ARand's best chance to make himself into a solid NBA player.

spurraider21
06-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Green Gee Dragic Mahinmi. The spurs know what they do late in drafts