PDA

View Full Version : The Beno Udrih Test

lurker23
04-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Never thought I'd hear Beno described this way. From Zach Lowe of Sports Illustrated:

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012/04/03/court-vision-latest-news-in-the-nba-24/

"(Iman) Shumpert passes what I call the Beno Udrih test: If a non-NBA fan were to randomly tune in to the right five-minute segment of the right Knicks game, he or she might flip the channel believing Shumpert is the best player in the league. That’s how good the guy can look for short stretches of games in which his shot is falling."

Obstructed_View
04-03-2012, 04:26 PM
I was at a Rockets game where Beno brought the Spurs back from a big defecit nearly by himself. Talent was never his problem.

Texas_Ranger
04-03-2012, 04:33 PM
His rookie season with the Spurs was pretty good, also played good for Sacramento. He just isn't a guy that wants to come of the bench.

jjktkk
04-03-2012, 04:39 PM
I was at a Rockets game where Beno brought the Spurs back from a big defecit nearly by himself. Talent was never his problem.

Confidence, mental toughness are lacking at times for Beno. He seems content just being in the league.

timvp
04-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Tbh, I thought the test would have something to do with handling fullcourt pressure.

lurker23
04-03-2012, 04:44 PM
I should clarify that I think it's actually a pretty accurate description, of both Iman and Beno. A humorous mental image, though. :lol

William Hung
04-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Tbh, I thought the test would have something to do with handling fullcourt pressure.

You'll never forgive him for that 2005 campaign :lol
Luke Ridnour and Lyndsey Hunter :lol

William Hung
04-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Tpark quitting 2 games into the Sonics series comes to mind as well.

Solid D
04-03-2012, 05:26 PM

:tu ...and applying full court pressure. Pop struggled to get Beno to pressure the ball baseline to baseline. 40 defense equated to a 30 defense in Slovenian. Language barrier. :(

gambit1990
04-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Confidence, mental toughness are lacking at times for Beno. He seems content just being in the league.

this.

MarCowMar
04-03-2012, 05:44 PM
For me passing the Udrih test is a good player (or one regarded as such) leaving and the team not being negatively affected at all by it.

TDMVPDPOY
04-03-2012, 05:49 PM
how about when tpark always choked against nash only for beno to come in save the day

GSH
04-03-2012, 05:58 PM
It's just so perfect that he used Beno for that.

Obstructed_View
04-03-2012, 06:34 PM

I think it was all about desire and preparation, he had almost none of the latter because of the former. People who think he couldn't dribble the ball against pressure simply decided they didn't like him and never watched him again.

jestersmash
04-03-2012, 06:57 PM
I'd put Goran Dragic in that category as well, tbh.

roycrikside
04-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Dragic is the same way, tbh.

Texas_Ranger
04-03-2012, 07:11 PM

Dragic is like 10X better than Beno. He's not just a 5 minute show, the kid can play, you just probably didn't see any of his games lately.

Slo spurs fan
04-04-2012, 04:20 AM

:lmao

will_spurs
04-04-2012, 04:50 AM
Tpark quitting 2 games into the Sonics series comes to mind as well.

You mean the 3rd game when he had 18 points, 8 assists and 4 boards? :lol

I like the Beno Udrih test and was actually thinking of Shumpert the same way. For a short time one could easily believe he was one of the top players in the league. Then there are the other 95% of the time!

jestersmash
04-04-2012, 04:59 AM
Dragic is like 10X better than Beno. He's not just a 5 minute show, the kid can play, you just probably didn't see any of his games lately.

Dragic passing the "Beno" test as it's defined in the OP and Dragic being 10X better than Beno overall are entirely mutually exclusive claims.

Read the definition of the "Beno" test and mull over it.

will_spurs
04-04-2012, 07:02 AM
Dragic passing the "Beno" test as it's defined in the OP and Dragic being 10X better than Beno overall are entirely mutually exclusive claims.

Read the definition of the "Beno" test and mull over it.

Actually the part about "the right five-minute segment of the right Knicks game" implies that the player is otherwise a scrub. Which Dragic isn't.

jesterbobman
04-04-2012, 07:37 AM
The Beno test is just meant to be a look at players who can seem like the best player in the league, that if you look at the right stretch, they can appear all world. When Beno is playing with confidence, When Shumpert is hitting jumpers, they can look that good.

Dragic reaches that level as well(See the Dragic decimation of us). He's not that good on a consistent basis, but that doesn't mean he's not a good player. Dragic is clearly a better player than Beno or Shump, but if you look at a short stretch, they can all look like elite players.

Nick Collison, a player who's consistently excellent doesn't fit this category. He's good, but his play never makes you go Holy Shit, Nick Collison is awesome. Players who pass the Beno test do.

Kamnik
04-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Dragič >> Udrih for whoever is following their careers closely.

One could argue: Udrih's talent > Dragič's Talent

But as Beno is a whiny, fat & lazy all the talent in the world can't make him a good player. He is a big big waste of talent in my eyes.

lurker23
04-04-2012, 07:47 AM
The Beno test is just meant to be a look at players who can seem like the best player in the league, that if you look at the right stretch, they can appear all world. When Beno is playing with confidence, When Shumpert is hitting jumpers, they can look that good.

Dragic reaches that level as well(See the Dragic decimation of us). He's not that good on a consistent basis, but that doesn't mean he's not a good player. Dragic is clearly a better player than Beno or Shump, but if you look at a short stretch, they can all look like elite players.

Nick Collison, a player who's consistently excellent doesn't fit this category. He's good, but his play never makes you go Holy Shit, Nick Collison is awesome. Players who pass the Beno test do.

I was trying to think which Spurs players pass this test, other than the obvious Tim, Tony, and Manu.

As good as this Spurs team is, there aren't really a lot of candidates. I don't think Kawhi has hit that level quite yet, but he's getting closer. During their really active/hot streaks, Blair and Neal might come close (I can think of a few games where Blair made things look so easy; then again, not sure if people associate "best player in the league" with "skillful rebounds, layups, and tip-ins.")

Stephen Jackson vs. the Spurs earlier this year or Danny Green against the Cavaliers might be once-in-a-blue-moon candidates (though I honestly didn't get a chance to watch the Cavaliers game).

will_spurs
04-04-2012, 08:12 AM
I don't read this test in the way you guys do. At all.

Tim, Tony, Manu shouldn't even be in this discussion. This test is for scrubs who, every once in a while, have flashes of brilliance so bright that you might think they are the best player in the world. That has nothing to do with legit stars who do that regularly. The "That’s how good the guy can look for short stretches of games in which his shot is falling." part actually validates that.

On the Spurs I'd say guys like Blair or Neal would pass the test (or in the case of Blair, could). Think Blair's 20-20 in the sophomore game. Or Neal being on a streak.

lurker23
04-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Yeah, I know it's not really meant to be applied to All-Stars (hence the "star" part). The difference is probably that those that are truly stars can have several games where they dominate, with the rest of their time generally being at least in the "good" category.

The players where this "test" is actually useful are the ones who are much more likely to dominate 5 minutes than an entire game, and may go through longer stretches of mediocrity or invisibility.

sinok
04-04-2012, 09:10 AM
TBH, Patty Mills graduated yesterday evening...

100%duncan
04-04-2012, 09:23 AM

Kamnik
04-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Dragič to the Spurs... my wish since Goran first stepped into the NBA.

MmP
04-04-2012, 10:49 AM
you brought dark memories of that game 4 of 2005 finals

freetiago
04-04-2012, 11:54 AM
This is Neal
0-4 vs the kings then drops like 10 straight
or the game vs chicago
everyone was sucking in the 4th quarter
then gary decides to go hero mode and scores 15 straight

jestersmash
04-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Actually the part about "the right five-minute segment of the right Knicks game" implies that the player is otherwise a scrub. Which Dragic isn't.

No, it doesn't at all. The part about the "right five-minute segment of the right Knicks game" implies that it's rare or uncommon for said player to have stretches where he looks like the best player in the league. Dragic perfectly fits that description.

He's simultaneously 10X better than Beno Udrih and he has certain, rare stretches where he'll look more potent than Lebron James (certainly against us).

jesterbobman is correct -

Pero
04-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Well, I think you're right. However, what is elite category? Since Lowry got sick, Dragic is averaging ~17pts, 9ast, 2stl on 53/44/81% shooting, seems pretty damn good to me and it's not just 5 minutes (or 12).

jestersmash
04-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Well, I think you're right. However, what is elite category? Since Lowry got sick, Dragic is averaging ~17pts, 9ast, 2stl on 53/44/81% shooting, seems pretty damn good to me and it's not just 5 minutes (or 12).

26 points in 17 minutes on 77% shooting (5-5 3PT) (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201005070SAS.html) of a playoff game against the Spurs, with 24 of those points coming in the 4th quarter

I can assure you Dragic isn't putting up numbers like that consistently :lol

Pero
04-04-2012, 03:50 PM
26 points in 17 minutes on 77% shooting (5-5 3PT) (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201005070SAS.html) of a playoff game against the Spurs, with 24 of those points coming in the 4th quarter

Yeah lol but neither is anyone else. :D

Texas_Ranger
04-04-2012, 03:51 PM

did you watch his last 15 games since he's a starter. No he is not having 25 points per game but he became consistent and Rockets best player.

therealtruth
04-04-2012, 04:36 PM

That's says alot about the Spurs defense or lack of also.

jestersmash
04-04-2012, 04:41 PM
did you watch his last 15 games since he's a starter. No he is not having 25 points per game but he became consistent and Rockets best player.

I did. I can assure you in his last 15 games as a starter he hasn't regularly had quarters where he's on pace to score 96 points per game :lol

24 points in the 4th quarter alone (in a playoff game to boot!) with 8-11 efficiency is absolutely insane.