PDA

View Full Version : What does your heart and mind say?

2centsworth
06-21-2005, 12:57 PM
My mind tells me this:

Spurs are not healthy, especially Manu. Tim is Jittery, Tony is not playing well, and our centers have disappeared. Top that off with the spurs tend to let down when they have breathing room.

All adds up to a Detroit victory tonight.

Spurs probably come back and win it in game 7.

My heart tells me this:

Spurs will suck it up and snatch what little confidence Detroit has left.

What's the truth? (Baseline Bum help me out)

samikeyp
06-21-2005, 12:59 PM
Spurs in 6.

Hook Dem
06-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Spurs will put an end to all the soft and timid talk tonight! I feel it!!!! :elephant

Pistons < Spurs
06-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Pistons win tonight..........Thursday? hard to say. alot will depend on how tonights game is played

davi78239
06-21-2005, 01:03 PM
I really feel that the spurs will close it out tonight, but it'll be close most of the way.

2centsworth
06-21-2005, 01:05 PM
Pistons win tonight..........Thursday? hard to say. alot will depend on how tonights game is played
expect the best defense you have seen yet from the spurs. Pistons have struggled to score here, no crowd to will Hunter and Mcdyess to high double figures.

constantstate
06-21-2005, 01:06 PM
my mind tells me that the pistons wont go out quietly. that they've been in these situations before and its going to be a rough game. that the spurs do tend to let down, and after a big game like that they have every reason to...

but my heart tells me that no one comes back from what horry did to detroit. that tim played well enough to push away bad thoughts of game 3 and especially game 4 on the bench with pop... but missed free throws and tipins late in regulation, and thats going to keep him angry and focused to close it out tonight.

both mind and heart tell me that if both teams play well tonight. spurs win. so spurs in 6.

LilMissSPURfect
06-21-2005, 01:07 PM
My gut tells me "its ovah !!!!!"

HULKAROCK
06-21-2005, 01:09 PM
My heart says the Pistons win tonight and win Thursday to make back to back game seven victories..

My mind says Pistons win game 6 and lose game 7..

TwoHandJam
06-21-2005, 01:10 PM
My mind tells me this:

Spurs are not healthy, especially Manu. Tim is Jittery, Tony is not playing well, and our centers have disappeared. Top that off with the spurs tend to let down when they have breathing room.

My heart tells me this:

What's the truth? (Baseline Bum help me out)I don't think so.

Tim will play like a man possessed tonight because he had a near-death experience in Detroit. Horry saved him from a horrible performance down the stretch (he was great early) and he should feel like he's been given a second chance. He will put on a show tonight, especially at home.

Since I believe Tim will have a big game, everything should flow from there. Guys will be inspired by his confidence and play well. I expect big things from Tony and Manu as they will be given more leeway to be aggressive when driving the lane at home.

The Pistons got spanked the last two times they were here and haven't won at SA in 10 years. Their backs were to the wall in game 2 as well yet we blew them out to the tune of 21 points.

They will play hard tonight to be sure because it is an elimination game but our crowd will be crazy tonight and they will help carry us to victory.

Spurs in 6.

Pistons < Spurs
06-21-2005, 01:11 PM
My gut tells me "its ovah !!!!!"

You're sure thats not just gas? lol :lol

GrandeDavid
06-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Phukit (like the brand states), I'm taking Spurs in 6. Phuk what your heart and mind say. That's just how reality goes: Spurs in 6. The Pistons are thaaaaaaaarough!

Manu20
06-21-2005, 01:12 PM
It is not going to be easy but this one will be over tonight.

Spurs in 6.

easjer
06-21-2005, 01:14 PM
My gut tells me that I need more Tums and to avoid the alcohol tonight, as my mind thinks it will be a close game, and neither mind nor gut want me to vomit.

My mind tells me it's a draw until I see the energy tonight. Factors and stats going both ways. My mind tells me that the Pistons will come strong and the Spurs need to be ready.

My heart tells me, Spurs baby, Spurs in six - my heart says they will take their game to the next level and dominate, and that the doubts floating through various Pistons will result in flat play, despite valiant efforts from Chauncey Billups and/or a Wallace.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
Detroit in 9

mrcoon29
It'll be a close game..My gut says: Fill your gas tanks, Spurs Fans..
SPURS IN 6!!!

GattoBlaster
06-21-2005, 01:19 PM
This really is a no-brainer; the Pistons have not won in our house in over 10 years. Do you honestly think that, in this the biggest game of their lives, with all the pressure, having had their hearts rippied out of their asses by Horry in Game 5, that they will finally get that elusive road win in Game 6?

If you believe that, then I've got this bridge I would like to sell you! Please put down the hippie lettuce and step away...and off our bandwagon!

SPURS IN 6...IN A BLOWOUT!

P.S.: Manu goes off in this one and wins the MVP

ZappaFan
06-21-2005, 01:24 PM
Pistons play their best game of the series and the Spurs are not able to match the intensity, although they do come close. Pistons greater will to win pulls it out in the end. No brain cramps in this game as the Pistons learn from their mistakes in game 5. Spurs crowd starts looking forward to game 7.

Tayshaun was looking like he's finally ready to break-out at the end of game 5, I think he totally breaks out tonight. I expect a big game from him.

Sheed is more focused than he's ever been, wanting to atone for his game 5 boner.

Ben is Ben, 'nuf said. :fro

Rip and Bowen have a collision and knock each other out. :spin

ZappaFan
06-21-2005, 01:27 PM
This really is a no-brainer; the Pistons have not won in our house in over 10 years.

That is positively the most useless stat that's been getting thrown around. The only games that even relate closely are games 1 & 2. What happened during the regular season this year or past years means nothing!

I take you back to the 1990 finals, when Portland beat Detroit in game 2 at Detroit to tie that series 1-1. All the headlines talked about how Detroit had not won in Portland in over 15 years. That was 28 straight losses in Portland for the Pistons! They were surely done for!

The Pistons took three straight in Portland.

So much for history.

bdubya
06-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Mind says "hey, look at all the stats, no team has ever won 6&7 on the road when down 3-2, Pistons haven't won in SA since the Clinton administration, a few mistakes down the stretch on Sunday and they let their best chance slip away, they're not that deep, things look grim."

Heart slaps Mind upside head and says "that's about the tenth time you've been ready to quit on this team; shuddUP already! GO PISTONS! It's time to make HISTORY!"

FWIW, Heart has a much better track record than Mind with this team.

Alchal
06-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Pistons in 7.

Jimcs50
06-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Spurs will win by over 20 pts, Heart and Head.

CosmicCowboy
06-21-2005, 01:38 PM
My heart and mind have been strongly divided on a lot of playoff games this year but they took a vote on this one and the decision was unanimous...Spurs are gonna come out strong and put them away...Detroit is a good team and will make some runs but the Spurs will hold them off and Pop and Larry will empty the bench at the end...

GattoBlaster
06-21-2005, 01:39 PM
That is positively the most useless stat that's been getting thrown around. The only games that even relate closely are games 1 & 2. What happened during the regular season this year or past years means nothing!

I take you back to the 1990 finals, when Portland beat Detroit in game 2 at Detroit to tie that series 1-1. All the headlines talked about how Detroit had not won in Portland in over 15 years. That was 28 straight losses in Portland for the Pistons! They were surely done for!

The Pistons took three straight in Portland.

So much for history.

:smokin Dude, we are NOT the JailBlazers! We are a team that own you in our own crib...and after tonight, you can add another year to that useless stat!

Enjoy last year's title belt, ZappaFan!

SPURS IN 6...IN A BLOWOUT!...Guaran-Sheed! :lol

Jimcs50
06-21-2005, 01:40 PM
The only two body parts on me that always disagree, are my penis and my brain.

:)

cqsallie
06-21-2005, 01:45 PM
My gut has been telling me the whole series - prior to game time. Today, it tells me that the Spurs are gonna take it! I always go with my gut...

td4mvp21
06-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Alot of Laker fans last year were saying they were gonna make history too by becoming the only team to come back from 3-1 deficit. I'm not saying Detroit won't but just giving an example. :-)

SLOVENIAN 8
06-21-2005, 01:47 PM
Spurs will win tonight and every player will play at5 the end of game :spin

ObiwanGinobili
my mind tells me:
tonight is a toss. and we can't back down for a secound. If detroit wins tongiht then we allowed it. there is a possibility of a game 7.

My heart tells me:
I don;t even have to question this team, we will not back down, we will step up like no other and SA will be partying tonight. It's ovah baby, it's ovah!!

lessthannick11
Spurs by 11
Timmy with 33 20 4
And Horry, Gino, Tim, and Tony can all get their curtain calls with 1 minute left

Maybe Rasho can actually play that last minute with Beno

Ishta
06-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Heart, and Mind are in agreement............

SPURS IN 6

One Team, One Goal

GO SPURS GO

JustSpurs
06-21-2005, 01:49 PM
I'll be drinking like Prohibition is coming back. I bet my last 1,000 vbookies on Spurs in 6...Wife said "Spurs in 7".....I hope she's wrong.

Supergirl
06-21-2005, 01:50 PM
My gut says Spurs close it out tonight. My mind has doubts, supports my gut overall, because of this:
Tim did not play well down the stretch in Game 5. As great as he was, he couldn't make a shot for the final 9 minutes, and he missed 5 of 6 free throws. Or was it 6 of 7. ANyway, Tim won't be focusing on his dominance in the first three quarters. He'll be focused on the fact that almost blew it for the team, and when he does that, he's unstoppable.

2centsworth
06-21-2005, 01:53 PM
I'll be drinking like Prohibition is coming back.

my heart and mind agree on that for sure.

Jimcs50
06-21-2005, 01:58 PM
For those of you whose brains are saying Spurs win:

Trailing in this postseason is nothing new for the Detroit Pistons, who must win Games 6 and 7 in San Antonio to repeat as NBA champions. Their 2005 playoff comebacks:

Second round vs. Indiana
(Down 2-1 after losing 79-74 at Indiana)
Game 4 at Indiana: Won 89-76
Game 5 at Detroit: Won 86-67
Game 6 at Indiana: Won 88-79

Conference finals vs. Miami
(Down 3-2 after losing 88-76 at Miami)
Game 6 at Detroit: Won 91-66
Game 7 at Miami: Won 88-82

Finals vs. San Antonio
(Down 2-0 after losing twice at San Antonio)
Game 3 at Detroit: Won 96-79
Game 4 at Detroit: Won 102-71

Detroit has potential to come back...hope SA does not think it is over.

samikeyp
06-21-2005, 01:58 PM
The biggest thing that will keep the Spurs from winning is thinking like their fans! :)

ZappaFan
06-21-2005, 02:00 PM
My gut says Spurs close it out tonight. My mind has doubts, supports my gut overall, because of this:
Tim did not play well down the stretch in Game 5. As great as he was, he couldn't make a shot for the final 9 minutes, and he missed 5 of 6 free throws. Or was it 6 of 7. ANyway, Tim won't be focusing on his dominance in the first three quarters. He'll be focused on the fact that almost blew it for the team, and when he does that, he's unstoppable.

How much did Tim's tired ankles have to do with that? His shot was flat and short big time. That's a sure sign of no legs. They're playing on only one day off, and that's a travel day. I think that hurts the Spurs more than the Pistons.

Pistons have all the motivation in the world. Spurs have to manufacture their motivation because there's always game 7 to close it out, and the home team always wins game 7, right? So even if the Spurs don't win tonight they have that to fall back on. Right? Attitude recipe for disaster if you're a Spur.

samikeyp
06-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Tim jumped too early on the tip....now with 100% healthy ankles, he might still get it...no one knows for sure.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
06-21-2005, 02:01 PM
For those of you whose brains are saying Spurs win:

Trailing in this postseason is nothing new for the Detroit Pistons, who must win Games 6 and 7 in San Antonio to repeat as NBA champions. Their 2005 playoff comebacks:

Second round vs. Indiana
(Down 2-1 after losing 79-74 at Indiana)
Game 4 at Indiana: Won 89-76
Game 5 at Detroit: Won 86-67
Game 6 at Indiana: Won 88-79

Conference finals vs. Miami
(Down 3-2 after losing 88-76 at Miami)
Game 6 at Detroit: Won 91-66
Game 7 at Miami: Won 88-82

Finals vs. San Antonio
(Down 2-0 after losing twice at San Antonio)
Game 3 at Detroit: Won 96-79
Game 4 at Detroit: Won 102-71

Detroit has potential to come back...hope SA does not think it is over.

And the faced a similar scenario last year, losing a heartbreaker in 3OTs to the Nets at home and then winning Gs 6 and 7. Granted, it isn't the same but it does bear some similarities...

samikeyp
06-21-2005, 02:03 PM
Pistons have all the motivation in the world. Spurs have to manufacture their motivation because there's always game 7 to close it out, and the home team always wins game 7, right? So even if the Spurs don't win tonight they have that to fall back on. Right? Attitude recipe for disaster if you're a Spur.

I think you are basing this on what you are reading here. A lot of fans have the "two games to win" one mentality....I am pretty sure the Spurs don't. I don't think they have to manufacture motivation.....getting this series over so they can heal up and rest is enough....oh and that big gold trophy helps too. :)

Cant_Be_Faded
06-21-2005, 02:04 PM
Tonights game will NOT be a blowout....

jochhejaam
06-21-2005, 02:06 PM
My mind tells me this:

My heart tells me this:

What's the truth? (Baseline Bum help me out)

I'm a Pistons fan so there's no way I can be objective. My son asked me who I honestly thought was going to win and I told him I wouldn't bet money against the spurs. I don't correspond with my heart on matters like this, I just want the Pistons to win! :lol

And now I'd like everyone to join me in a rousing rendition of Lets go Pistons! :lol

shelshor
06-21-2005, 02:08 PM
Spurs wrap it up tonight
Besides which, if it were to go 7, SBC Center will have to put one of Dick Cheney's heart restarters at every 4th seat

2centsworth
06-21-2005, 02:13 PM
How much did Tim's tired ankles have to do with that? His shot was flat and short big time. That's a sure sign of no legs. They're playing on only one day off, and that's a travel day. I think that hurts the Spurs more than the Pistons.

I think those drubings in detroit serve as pretty good motivation.

Supergirl
06-21-2005, 02:16 PM

The first thing Tim said in the postgame was "we have to win the next one". I don't think ANYONE'S thinking "well, we have Game 7..."

Pistons are more likely to be affected by fatigue - all their starters played for 45 minutes or more, and they're traveling just as far as the SPurs did, and not sleeping in their own beds.

Tim's ankles have been gimpy all postseason long - his missed shots and FTs were mental. They had very little to do with that.

boutons
06-21-2005, 02:18 PM
"Spurs have to manufacture their motivation"

BS! The Spurs have the positive motivation to win the Trophy tonight.
The Pistons have the negative motivation to avoid elimination.

There's absolutely no way either team comes out lacking motivation.

A key factor, and here's where imminently departing T_Park is wrong again, is home court advantage.

It has been huge in the series, and tonight will be no different. The Pistons fucked around before Christmas, gave away games, and had Larry complaining in the press about their effort. The Spurs won more games, even with Tim's and Manu's injuries, and playing tonight @SBC tonight is the pay-off.

With 2 teams so closely matched, the home court advantage, esp in this series, is just enough to be the difference maker.

2centsworth
06-21-2005, 02:21 PM
With 2 teams so closely matched, the home court advantage, esp in this series, is just enough to be the difference maker. Not so much for the starters, but definitely for the scrubs. We won't see Hunter turn into Isiah, or Mcdyess go for 20. Also, big bens jumper will have a harder time going down in the sbc. Also, I bet Beno, Barry and Nazr play much better (of course they're not scrubs only detroits bench)http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smispin.gif

50 cent
06-21-2005, 02:22 PM
My head says: I will be drinking heavily.

My heart says: I will have heartburn tomorrow from all the drinking my head plans on doing.

My gut says: Tomorrow's gonna suck at work because I will be partying til the wee hours of the morning after we take game 6.

boutons
06-21-2005, 02:24 PM
"his missed shots and FTs were mental"

Tim was really spooked. Late in the game, he rushed a short bank shot over Ben. On a RB, he threw the ball at the basket, flat, no hope. In both cases, taking a little time compose and really take a shot (or even reset the offense), vs a throw, could have been +4 pts in crunch time.

And then he unforcedly fumbled a pass into the low block.

the FTs.

And finally, the missed point-bank put-back winner as time expired. (btw, Manu was not playing well either. He missed left-hand, left-side layup winner that is his most reliable shot)

Yes, Tim's stat line was great, but his crunch/overtime offensive performance was the horrendous nightmare he admitted.

MadDog73
06-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Here's my take:

With all the talk of Detroit winning when their back is against the wall, the Tim Duncan Spurs have never gone to a game 7 when in this situation.

So something's gonna break tonight.

The fact that Robert Horry just would not let the Spurs lose game 5 inspires me. This Spurs team has the Heart and the Ability to beat the Pistons tonight.

I will be very surprised and disappointed if the Spurs lose tonight. This isn't Game 3 or 4 where the Spurs looked like they were playing a regular season game.

The Spurs know what's at stake. Tim wants his 3rd ring. Horry wants his 6th. Manu, Tony and Bowen want their 2nd. Pop has made the adjustments for a Spurs victory tonight.

I feel it, Heart and Mind!

nkdlunch
06-21-2005, 02:59 PM
This Will End Tonight.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-21-2005, 03:34 PM
This thing ends tonight, and its going to be fun.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Here's my take:

With all the talk of Detroit winning when their back is against the wall, the Tim Duncan Spurs have never gone to a game 7 when in this situation.

So something's gonna break tonight.

The fact that Robert Horry just would not let the Spurs lose game 5 inspires me. This Spurs team has the Heart and the Ability to beat the Pistons tonight.

I will be very surprised and disappointed if the Spurs lose tonight. This isn't Game 3 or 4 where the Spurs looked like they were playing a regular season game.

The Spurs know what's at stake. Tim wants his 3rd ring. Horry wants his 6th. Manu, Tony and Bowen want their 2nd. Pop has made the adjustments for a Spurs victory tonight.

I feel it, Heart and Mind!

Who's going to lead it tonight? I have a feeling that Tony Parker is going to have a great game.

Horry For 3!
06-21-2005, 03:39 PM
Well my dream told me that Spurs would win Game 5 and Championship in Game 6. Part 1 of my dream came true, now i'm waiting for Part 2 to come true. :) Go Spurs Go!

duncan_21
06-21-2005, 03:40 PM
My prediction is that the game will be close then the spurs will go on a run. Det will start bitchin about the officiating and will lose their concentration. The spurs will end up winning by 5-9pts. That's what my mind is saying, I try not to listen to my heart when I make predictions.

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
06-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Here's one thing that everyone seems to overlook:

The Spurs have been on the road for an ETERNITY, in NBA terms. One week away from S.A., and believe me, they're so thrilled to be playing back at the SBC that they're going to be juiced to the max tonight. You watch, it will be like Manu and Tony had a strong shot of espresso before tipoff. You're going to see fast breaks, Horry, Barry and Bowen draining 3s, and the Pistons getting run out of the building. Duncan's going for a 35-15 performance, to put an end to all this 'Is he MVP-worthy?' crap.

Spurs 104, Pistons 85.

beirmeistr
06-21-2005, 04:39 PM
I agree with 2centsworth that the Spurs are downplaying some injuries. However, I think the high-decibel fans at the SBC will energize the Spurs and they will play their best game of the Series tonite and wrap it up. I look for a huge game from Tim and big games by Manu and Horry---those two have a killer instinct that won't let them lose tonite. The Pistons will put up a hell of a fight though, and both Wallaces might foul out.

MadDog73
06-21-2005, 04:43 PM
Who's going to lead it tonight? I have a feeling that Tony Parker is going to have a great game.

I think Tony will lead in assists (Manu lead in Game 5), and Manu will lead in points (24?).

Tim will just be his MVP self, 20 pts, 18 reb.