PDA

View Full Version : sons our country is rotting from the inside out

BRHornet45
04-04-2012, 12:50 AM
sons pussifying America, the agenda is working ...

New York city schools want to ban 'loaded words' from tests

New York (CNN) – Divorce. Dinosaurs, Birthdays. Religion. Halloween. Christmas. Television. These are a few of the 50-plus words and references the New York City Department of Education is hoping to ban from the city’s standardized tests.

The Department of Education's says that avoiding sensitive words on tests is nothing new, and that New York City is not the only locale to do so. California avoids the use of the word "weed" on tests and Florida avoids the phrases that use "Hurricane" or "Wildfires," according to a statement by the New York City Department of Education.

"Dinosaurs" evoking unpleasant emotions? The New York Post speculated that the "dinosaurs" could "call to mind evolution, which might upset fundamentalists.”

Apparently many of the words on New York’s list were avoided because of faith-based concerns.

For instance, the use of the word "birthday" or the phrase "birthday celebrations" may offend Jehovah's Witnesses, who do not celebrate birthdays. A spokesperson for the Jehovah's Witnesses declined to comment on the use of the word "birthday."

Halloween may suggest paganism; divorce may conjure up uneasy feelings for children in the midst of a divorce within their family. One phrase that may surprise many, the term "Rock 'n' Roll" was on the "avoid" list.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/28/new-york-city-schools-ban-loaded-words-from-tests/?hpt=hp_c3

RaZon
04-04-2012, 01:01 AM
You see that silliness as ...rotting from the inside? Never been to Mexico have you? Nigeria?

BRHornet45
04-04-2012, 01:12 AM
shut the fuck up. stop trying to be cute and just address the issue if you're going to comment.

RaZon
04-04-2012, 01:21 AM
shut the fuck up. stop trying to be cute and just address the issue if you're going to comment.

Go to hell mutherfucker, don't tell me a damn thing...got it! Do you have a fucking clue what the word...rotting...means? You think this country is ...rotting...because of a bunch of fucking words? Well think again punk. You have any idea how many fat people we have here? How many filty rich? We are rotting because of words...hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What's with this stupid..sons..bullshit? Cool the...rot:rolleyes

BRHornet45
04-04-2012, 01:39 AM
lozzzz

Reck
04-04-2012, 01:57 AM

LOL he's been bukakeed all night long. Guy cant get enough.

Anyway, this is fucking sad.

You cant say shit without offending one's religion nowadays.

CubanSucks
04-04-2012, 02:02 AM
I'll address the issue when you take that stupid bitch Hope Solo out of your sig. That mouthy Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_ needs to be slapped

Cry Havoc
04-04-2012, 02:24 AM
Dinosaurs? Really?

FuzzyLumpkins
04-04-2012, 02:55 AM
I grew up in a family that would use your phrasing of the word 'son' as a condescending slur to minorities. You get a lot of that in the South. Its quite ironic that one that is oblivious or willfully ignorant of the past would make such claims.

BRHornet45
04-04-2012, 03:18 AM
I grew up in a family that would use your phrasing of the word 'son' as a condescending slur to minorities. You get a lot of that in the South. Its quite ironic that one that is oblivious or willfully ignorant of the past would make such claims.

son are you mad at this news report?

FuzzyLumpkins
04-04-2012, 04:14 AM
son are you mad at this news report?

Hardly, I can see a schtick for what it is.

RaZon
04-04-2012, 06:51 AM
Anyone who bitches about America needs to try living somewhere else for awhile. Kind of get things in perspective.

TheSkeptic
04-04-2012, 07:04 AM
Anyone who bitches about America needs to try living somewhere else for awhile. Kind of get things in perspective.

Yes and no. It really just depends.

I try to view countries more in terms of strengths and weaknesses. America's not bad but education is an area that could use some improving.

This report provides an example of why critical thinking is so important to have when learning.

...Just saying.

RaZon
04-04-2012, 07:17 AM

I try to view countries more in terms of strengths and weaknesses. America's not bad but education is an area that could use some improving.

This report provides an example of why critical thinking is so important to have when learning.

...Just saying.

California alone has over 200 colleges if we count JC's. What other country compares to what we have here.

TheSkeptic
04-04-2012, 07:36 AM
California alone has over 200 colleges if we count JC's. What other country compares to what we have here.

Quality. Not quantity.

Due to the fact that other countries have smaller populations, you'll have a hard time finding a place with as many schools.

Quality is a different story.

I would actually list the United Kingdom for one along with several of the Asian countries since Hong Kong and Japan have excellent universities.

Canada also has some very reputable names. India has quite a few good ones as well. Germany and Sweden are another two I'd look at.

Brazil has at least one top-notch University and likely others I haven't heard of too.

The US Ivy Leagues are excellent as are a lot of the State Universities though it seems to differ from place to place.

What I meant by not enough on education is that a lot of universities and high schools don't *educate* so much as *train*. That's not necessarily a bad thing since you're in school to learn what you need in order to get a job.

The problem I see with it is that it doesn't promote critical thinking or the ability to properly filter information or handle challenges to your own perspective.

When the shift to that mentality happens, you end up with situations like what's happening in this news report.

RaZon
04-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Quality. Not quantity.

Due to the fact that other countries have smaller populations, you'll have a hard time finding a place with as many schools.

Quality is a different story.

I would actually list the United Kingdom for one along with several of the Asian countries since Hong Kong and Japan have excellent universities.

Canada also has some very reputable names. India has quite a few good ones as well. Germany and Sweden are another two I'd look at.

Brazil has at least one top-notch University and likely others I haven't heard of too.

The US Ivy Leagues are excellent as are a lot of the State Universities though it seems to differ from place to place.

What I meant by not enough on education is that a lot of universities and high schools don't *educate* so much as *train*. That's not necessarily a bad thing since you're in school to learn what you need in order to get a job.

The problem I see with it is that it doesn't promote critical thinking or the ability to properly filter information or handle challenges to your own perspective.

When the shift to that mentality happens, you end up with situations like what's happening in this news report.

The USA is how old in relationship to the rest of the world? We are just a baby yet look at who we are in the world. We don't promote critical thinking, we can't filter information or handle challenges to our perspective? You sure about that?

DMC
04-04-2012, 08:23 AM
If all these countries have such wonderful universities, why are all of our universities in the US filled with foreign students?

sandman
04-04-2012, 11:21 AM

...Just saying.

I've been to Nigeria twice in the last six months and was surprised at how many nationals have university degrees. They are very competitive when it comes to getting an education and degrees, but lack in careers because of the poor infrastructure and corrupt government.

Not that they would rival the Asian stereotypes, but I would say that they have an advantage over the US in this area. Again, it was surprising for me because of some of the very real third world conditions in that country. Here in the land of the Have's and Not Have Enough's, we don't generally see education as our ticket to something better. We see it as our birthright and take it for granted.

Gutter92
04-04-2012, 12:55 PM
If all these countries have such wonderful universities, why are all of our universities in the US filled with foreign students?

Because other countries send their B-team students here and they still shit on us :lmao

:depressed

TheSkeptic
04-04-2012, 05:12 PM
The USA is how old in relationship to the rest of the world? We are just a baby yet look at who we are in the world. We don't promote critical thinking, we can't filter information or handle challenges to our perspective? You sure about that?

It's about balance.

What I'm saying is that many American schools are results-oriented with a bit of that "students as customers" approach to education. Like I said, that's not necessarily a bad thing because it does prepare young people to join the workforce.

That being said, there's a lot of emphasis placed on *how* to use information as opposed to *why* the information works. I happen to think that that's training and not teaching. Consequently you find a lot of graduates who don't know how to apply the principles they've learned outside of specific situations.

Since young people are in school learning like this for 10+ years you'll find that this spoon feeding mentality has a way of spilling over into other areas of life as well.

Hence the many individuals who are unable to pull facts out of a news presentation without believing everything the news anchor says, the lack of patience for learning, and the inability to walk in the shoes of other people.

This particular educator is of the spoon fed school of thought in that she'd rather remove specific words from the standardized tests than allow students to be exposed to alternative ideas or learn to deal with any "negative" connotations that are associated with them.

I'm not saying you need to scrap the whole system and start from scratch because it sucks. I'm just pointing out what I think is a blind spot that requires a more nuanced approach.

Pretty much every university has foreign students.

Just like in North America where not everyone can get into an Ivy League, the same goes for people in other countries. That and I would assume there's more scholarships and openings in the US due to the number of schools?

TheSkeptic
04-04-2012, 05:21 PM
I've been to Nigeria twice in the last six months and was surprised at how many nationals have university degrees. They are very competitive when it comes to getting an education and degrees, but lack in careers because of the poor infrastructure and corrupt government.

Not that they would rival the Asian stereotypes, but I would say that they have an advantage over the US in this area. Again, it was surprising for me because of some of the very real third world conditions in that country. Here in the land of the Have's and Not Have Enough's, we don't generally see education as our ticket to something better. We see it as our birthright and take it for granted.

Very true.

In my country we actually had the opposite problem where there was only 1 or 2 universities in the whole country so the competition started in grade school. It was so intense that you could even get accepted to the University but not be able to choose your own degree program.

My mom got in and was able to choose her major because she's really really smart. The quality of the school wasn't the problem it was just the lack of resources.

I think for a lot of these third world countries, the human resources are getting there but the infrastructure simply can't support them at this stage. Corruption in government doesn't help.

Because other countries send their B-team students here and they still shit on us :lmao

:depressed

Sometimes it's because of a lack of programs and I've met quite a few who came over to learn English and become more competitive in their own countries.

But yes, the B-team is another reason why that happens. :lol

z0sa
04-04-2012, 05:25 PM
The list has already been withdrawn, probably due to the immense criticism it generated.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57408774/nyc-schools-nixes-list-of-test-words-to-avoid/

TheSkeptic
04-04-2012, 05:40 PM
The list has already been withdrawn, probably due to the immense criticism it generated.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57408774/nyc-schools-nixes-list-of-test-words-to-avoid/

Good move. :lol

Koolaid_Man
04-04-2012, 06:18 PM

let's get rid of the River Rats in Nawlins...they're really rotting this country out :toast

Fabbs
04-04-2012, 07:16 PM
BR when i saw thread title i thought you were addressing this:

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/beauty/trump-to-let-transgender-jenna-compete-for-miss-universe-20120404-1wbzk.html

Trump to let transgender Jenna compete for Miss Universe

J.T.
04-04-2012, 08:16 PM
The problem with the country is laziness, dipshit. People like us would rather talk about how stupid this is on the internet than at a public forum or some other retarded idea that worked a long time ago when there weren't cars or television or video games or team sports or any number of activities better and more worth your time than a public forum.

So now people with half a brain that think putting the word "dinosaurs" on standardized tests (which are mainly given to children, yes I think people in college are still children. You're a child until you pay your own fucking bills #realtalk) is offensive, but last I checked kids love dinosaurs.

Honestly and this isn't trolling at all when I say this but if the USA didn't have nukes I would be George Washington of doing to them what we did to England way back when. It's probably going to happen anyway but I don't want a nuke dropped on my face so I'm staying here. Hell I'll even push the button.

J.T.
04-04-2012, 08:18 PM
You're trying to tell me kids find dinosaurs offensive when without using Google I can guarantee you there are more Land Before Time movies than their are Super Bowls despite a 20-some odd year head start by the NFL?