PDA

View Full Version : Stephen A Smith is a tool

Spurtacus
04-04-2012, 12:47 PM
So on first take today Skip Bayless defends his pick of the Spurs and cites the deep bench including Splitter and Mills. Smith begins to laugh his ass off and mock Tiago and Pattys names for a minute. Bayless says Spurs are the best in pick and roll and Splitter is a big reason. Of course Smith is such a tool and just keeps laughing. Does this guy watch any bball outside the big markets.

q1LRRjRYCdo

justinandimcool
04-04-2012, 12:50 PM
he gets paid to act this way or the show would be boring and no one would talk or make threads about it.

don't be so butthurt, you'd act like a know-nothing vagina on tv too if ESPN paid you 6 figures to do so.

jjktkk
04-04-2012, 12:50 PM
1st take is all about entertaining the masses. Stephen A did give the Spurs props in that segment. Besides most of ESPN folks never give the Spurs any love, so, meh. :wakeup

Assman
04-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Your first mistake was watching First Take. Everything on ESPN is shit besides PTI.

jag
04-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Only someone with an incredibly weak psyche would be genuinely bothered or encouraged by anything Skip Bayless or Stephen A. Smith have to say.

Spurtacus
04-04-2012, 01:01 PM
1st take is all about entertaining the masses. Stephen A did give the Spurs props in that segment. Besides most of ESPN folks never give the Spurs any love, so, meh. :wakeup

It was entertaining and it did get a chuckle out of me.

Splits
04-04-2012, 01:01 PM
The sun rises in the east.

Calf tats are not cool. (http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/31073479?source=rss_blogs_NBA)

Spurtacus
04-04-2012, 01:02 PM
he gets paid to act this way or the show would be boring and no one would talk or make threads about it.

don't be so butthurt, you'd act like a know-nothing vagina on tv too if ESPN paid you 6 figures to do so.

Who said i was butthurt? I just said he was a tool. Learn to read.

ajballer4
04-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Your first mistake was watching First Take. Everything on ESPN is shit besides PTI.

Sportsnation. Although Colin annoys the shit out of me

The ADMIRAL 50
04-04-2012, 01:08 PM
yea First Take is about as bad as television programming can get. Stephen A is obviously a over the top blowhard ass-hat. expecting anything else from him is just silly.

dbestpro
04-04-2012, 01:12 PM
They take their clue from the wrestling announcers. One guy supports the smart position, while the other acts smart, laughs a lot, talks fast, and supports the dumb position.

gambit1990
04-04-2012, 01:12 PM

this. i don't mind pti, but i prefer around the horn.

justinandimcool
04-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Who said i was butthurt? I just said he was a tool. Learn to read.

:rollin alright buddy, you sounded peachy not-butthurt in your OP :toast

xmas1997
04-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Was a tool, is a tool, and always will be a tool.

BadOne
04-04-2012, 01:15 PM

This

Spurtacus
04-04-2012, 01:20 PM

Ive been a full time employee for years until recently. Now I am home more and watch more espn programming. I was a big fan of pti when i was in college.

ElNono
04-04-2012, 01:21 PM
who?

Obstructed_View
04-04-2012, 01:24 PM
First take was great yesterday when Bruce Bowen was on it. I watched the whole thing. Bowen is the only guy who can disagree with Skip and not come off as a fucktard. I flipped it on today for a bit when I saw the Spurs at the bottom and SAS was back laughing about Tiago and Patty, and I just switched it off. I'd rather listen to Cowherd talk about how clutch Kobe is.

Obstructed_View
04-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Sportsnation. Although Colin annoys the shit out of me

Mmm...Beadle.

Spurtacus
04-04-2012, 01:27 PM
mmm...beadle.

+1

sananspursfan21
04-04-2012, 01:44 PM
hatas gon hate suuuuuuun

Duncan2177
04-04-2012, 01:45 PM
The guy is a idiot

Chachachango
04-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Don't watch that shit,bro. It's all about PTI. I remember Skip Bayles rooting for the Spurs in the playoffs a few years back and when the Spurs lost the series, on the next show, fucking Skip crumpled up a Manu Ginobili jersey and tossed it behind him like if the jersey was trash. Shit pissed me off. Don't take those guys seriously. Theyre a bunch of clowns.

LongtimeSpursFan
04-04-2012, 02:05 PM

Actally the only thing that that ESPN does well is college football. Other than that I rarely turn to that channel outside months of August-January.

Arcadian
04-04-2012, 02:05 PM

I like Around the Horn, too.

crc21209
04-04-2012, 02:37 PM
I saw that today too. What do you expect? The guy was fired by ESPN once already...:lol. So when he laughs at the Spurs, I just laugh at him for being a dumbass...

mando6599
04-04-2012, 02:39 PM
The sun rises in the east.

Calf tats are not cool. (http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/31073479?source=rss_blogs_NBA)

Wow, until I clicked your link, I laughed at the thought of someone getting a tattoo of an actual calf! BABY COW! Funny.:lol

bresilhac
04-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Smith and the other ESPN morons are in denial about the Spurs. As is most of the east coast media establishment. They cannot consciously and collectively accept the fact that San Antonio is probably the best team in the league and is certainly one of the best. In their very myopic view teams like Dallas and the Spurs simply don't matter. Even when they win Championships. This belief manifests in the lack of any kind of meaningful coverage of the teams during the season including the Spurs.

Instead, ridiculous phenomena like the Lin craze or the ongoing saga of the Heat and the Magic's Howard drama dominate the headlines. There is one gratifying upside to this biased coverage and that is when San Antonio makes it deep into the playoffs, which they inevitably will, the networks will have no choice but to cover the Spurs. And the ultimate comeuppance will be listening to Smith, Jon Barry and other so called experts talk about the Spurs' fifth Championship.

bigfan
04-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Smith and Bayless are both tools.

mando6599
04-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Smith and the other ESPN morons are in denial about the Spurs. As is most of the east coast media establishment. They cannot consciously and collectively accept the fact that San Antonio is probably the best team in the league and is certainly one of the best. In their very myopic view teams like Dallas and the Spurs simply don't matter. Even when they win Championships. This belief manifests in the lack of any kind of meaningful coverage of the teams during the season including the Spurs.

Instead, ridiculous phenomena like the Lin craze or the ongoing saga of the Heat and the Magic's Howard drama dominate the headlines. There is one gratifying upside to this biased coverage and that is when San Antonio makes it deep into the playoffs, which they inevitably will, the networks will have no choice but to cover the Spurs. And the ultimate comeuppance will be listening to Smith, Jon Barry and other so called experts talk about the Spurs' fifth Championship.

I LOVE your confidence! YES! :chestbump

hater
04-04-2012, 03:09 PM
ppl watch ESPN talk shows? :lmao

Slomo
04-04-2012, 03:14 PM
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Smack/Water_is_wet.jpg

Spurtacus
04-04-2012, 03:17 PM
q1LRRjRYCdo

Basically, this tool knows nothing about basketball and can't debate Skip because he doesn't watch a great team play team basketball.

Gregzilla
04-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Stephen A is right...no one outside of San Antonio residents take the Spurs seriously for title contention. Deal with it, we'll get bounced by memphis, la, okc for sure, go 7 with Denver and Dallas :flag:

sehui
04-04-2012, 04:06 PM
I really only like Michael Wilbon from ESPN

everyone else are a bunch of clowns, some respect for Skip who actually follows the Spurs in the entire ESPN organization.

Budkin
04-04-2012, 04:23 PM
I still remember how pissed he was after the Spurs won the first two games of the WCF at Phoenix in 2005 and had to admit it was over.

Sybok
04-04-2012, 04:45 PM
There is talk around Uranus that a conspiracy against the Spurs Federation has developed, and that the Ferengi known as Steven A Smith is merely a pawn in the game.

Ever vigilant,

Sy

Creepn
04-04-2012, 04:48 PM
DON'T BE SO DIS-RESP-ECT-FUL! lol

I actually like the show. Very entertaining. How do you like Spurstalk and not like First Take? There are hundreds of Skip Baylesses on this forum.

Mal
04-04-2012, 04:58 PM
q1LRRjRYCdo

Basically, this tool knows nothing about basketball and can't debate Skip because he doesn't watch a great team play team basketball.

Is name Tiago really that funny or this black dude is retarded asshole ?

Cow Eye
04-04-2012, 05:09 PM
I can't think of Stepha A. Smith without thinking of Cheese Doodles now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAB5lOIl-2U

Dingle Barry
04-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Not sure what's so funny about "Tiago" when stars in this league have names like Dwyane (wat?), LeBron, and Carmelo.

jestersmash
04-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Sports media figure Stephen A. Smith has a net worth of $2 million and annual salary of $400,000. He’s accumulated this net worth through a variety of channels, including print, radio, and TV sports journalism, and even an acting career of sorts. Smith’s career began in 1993, when he got a job as a sportswriter for The Daily News, a New York City newspaper. Only a year later, in 1994, Smith got a job as a columnist for The Philadelphia Inquirer. This stage of his career was fruitful and long lasting, with Smith eventually sitting as the head sports columnist for the paper. This relationship lasted until 2008, when Smith was terminated from the paper. However, he was eventually reinstated after a court order, one of the conditions of which is that Smith removes all references to his personal political views from his appearances on cable news and his own website. Like many sportswriters, Smith has also found some success in the field of talk radio. He’s also a familiar face to viewers of ESPN programs like Pardon The Interruption, Jim Rome is Burning, and 1st and 10. Smith has also had a few acting jobs, making cameo appearances on the soap opera General Hospital and the Chris Rock movie I Think I Love My Wife.

Laugh at Tiago's name for 3 minutes straight. Earn $400,000 annually.

Money well-earned.

mkurts
04-04-2012, 06:11 PM
ESPN analysts are mostly idiots paid to make a fool of themselves on ESPN, so whatever they say is pretty much worthless.

When many Americans go without and struggle to makes ends meet, while talented retards like Stephen A Smith earn $400,000 a year? Now that is a travesty.

TE
04-04-2012, 06:17 PM
SAS, we're laughing at you not with you, fucking faggot.

FromWayDowntown
04-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Not sure what's so funny about "Tiago" when stars in this league have names like Dwyane (wat?), LeBron, and Carmelo.

To me, it looks a lot like a riff on his old scoffing of Rasho Nesterovic.

TheSkeptic
04-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Is name Tiago really that funny or this black dude is retarded asshole ?

My money's on the latter.

How come this guy still has a job?

naico
04-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Dude's a horrible fake laugher..Anything to avoid having to give a structured opinion.

howbouthemspurs
04-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Stephen A Bitch is a racist prick

Creepn
04-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Stephen A Bitch is a racist prick

He may be pompous but he is not a racist.

TheSkeptic
04-04-2012, 06:59 PM
He may be pompous but he is not a racist.

:toast

I actually haven't watched him enough to form a conclusion either way. So far I'd say he's a poor commentator who enjoys saying/laughing at European names. :lol

DMC
04-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Stephen isn't racist, he's big marketish.

howbouthemspurs
04-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Stephen isn't racist, he's big marketish.

Agreed

spurspokesman
04-04-2012, 08:12 PM
yea First Take is about as bad as television programming can get. Stephen A is obviously a over the top blowhard ass-hat. expecting anything else from him is just silly.
this

rjv
04-04-2012, 09:18 PM
all I got out of that was it was some pretty bad television

100%duncan
04-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Stephen who?

FkLA
04-04-2012, 09:53 PM
q1LRRjRYCdo

What a faggot. Its not even so much him not giving the Spurs props thats annoying, since the Spurs have never been media darlings, but moreso the fact that hes just so ignorant about the game of basketball. The dude is supposed to be an NBA analyst/expert yet he scoffs a player because of their first name. Sometimes I wonder how some of these guys who have no basketball background get these jobs at ESPN.

Its one thing to laugh at Medvedenko or Kwame, or even Rasho to lesser extent. But anyone that watches games can clearly see that Splitter can play.

Sean Cagney
04-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Only someone with an incredibly weak psyche would be genuinely bothered or encouraged by anything Skip Bayless or Stephen A. Smith have to say.

LOL yeah, I don't even watch that bullshit anyways so it can't make me upset. When I was younger I used to hate Smith some, nowadays I could care less about the loudmouth.

DPG21920
04-04-2012, 10:18 PM
What a faggot. Its not even so much him not giving the Spurs props thats annoying, since the Spurs have never been media darlings, but moreso the fact that hes just so ignorant about the game of basketball. The dude is supposed to be an NBA analyst/expert yet he scoffs a player because of their first name. Sometimes I wonder how some of these guys who have no basketball background get these jobs at ESPN.

Its one thing to laugh at Medvedenko or Kwame, or even Rasho to lesser extent. But anyone that watches games can clearly see that Splitter can play.

Wrong. Pop sees Tiago and doesn't think so. Why should someone rant about a scrub who can't beat out Blair or Bonner for minutes?

TheSkeptic
04-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Wrong. Pop sees Tiago and doesn't think so. Why should someone rant about a scrub who can't beat out Blair or Bonner for minutes?

Yeah. :depressed

In all honesty, if Pop did think Tiago was the player we all think he is he would've found a way to give him more minutes.

I suspect that this is what's going to derail the team's championship aspirations this year...

SilverSpur
04-04-2012, 10:58 PM
He's an IDIOT!

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Wow, just finished watching that video someone posted and some more of that show on youtube.

To put it in Italian American terms, if watching the Spurs is like The Godfather or Goodfellas, then First Take is Jersey Shore.

G-Dawgg
04-05-2012, 12:43 AM
It's their schtick.....they play complete opposite spectrums.. One dude plays a blind homer and the other plays the complete hater. It's very obviously staged. Nobody expects Tiago or Patty to be the Spurs saviors, but at the same time you can't disregard the fact that they'll play important roles in positions of need (back-up C and Pg respectively) on a team with championship aspirations..

SA210
04-05-2012, 01:40 AM
I really want the Spurs to make this dumbass eat crow

iqquHeDwEUk

GSH
04-05-2012, 02:19 AM
We need to number some of these, and just reference the number in the thread title. Every year, there are going to be threads called some variant of "Stephen A Smith is a Tool".

That's because Stephen A Smith really is a tool.

jestersmash
04-05-2012, 03:29 AM
Nobel-prize winning physician from my medical school (Michael S. Brown) - $301,300/year

http://www.texastribune.org/library/data/government-employee-salaries/the-university-of-texas-southwestern-medical-cente/michael-s-brown/849974/

Stephen A. Smith - "Tiago. Tiagoooo. Tiagoo hahahahahahaha" $400,000/year

Life just ain't fair sometimes.

Obstructed_View
04-05-2012, 11:38 AM
It's their schtick.....they play complete opposite spectrums.. One dude plays a blind homer and the other plays the complete hater. It's very obviously staged. Nobody expects Tiago or Patty to be the Spurs saviors, but at the same time you can't disregard the fact that they'll play important roles in positions of need (back-up C and Pg respectively) on a team with championship aspirations..

Yeah, delving actual sports knowledge or information out of those Springer-type fights is rare. Mike and Mike used to just be two guys talking about sports and the network has pushed their differences to make it seem as though they genuinely don't like each other. I guess that's done something to their ratings so they've applied it to other areas. People seem to love reality shows where people bicker and bitch at each other. Then again, people love to bicker and bitch on message boards as well. :)

my2sons
04-05-2012, 06:39 PM
wasn't that social outkast sent to espn the ocho...He is completely irrevalent..

SpursRock20
04-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Go ahead and add Jalen Rose. He feels that the Spurs are the fouth best team out of the west heading into the playoffs and their depth does not mean anything once the playoffs start. He has them behind the Thunder, Grizzlies, and Lakers. He also says they don't have another big man besides Duncan. Skip calls him out and schools him (I think he is the only one on ESPN that watches the Spurs besides Beadle). Rose retreats on his stance and says they have the best odds to come out of the west :lmao

ace3g
04-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Rose mentioned the Spurs don't have another 6'10+ player (Splitter???) on the roster and also basically said the Spurs next best big in the rotation is Blair.

manufan10
04-09-2012, 12:11 PM
:lol not watching Spurs games

rasho8
04-09-2012, 12:12 PM
In the playoffs in 2007 I was working at the AT&T Center as a waiter in the restaurant upstairs. As I was leaving one of the games I saw Stephen A and kept yelling "AHMAD!! YOURE AHMAD RASHAD RIGHT?!?!" he gave me the dirtiest fucking look I ever seen and I just kept yelling it to people, "THERES AHMAD!!"

I hate Stephen A Smith... fuck him. Trolling him in real life was one of my favorite things ever.

2centsworth
04-09-2012, 12:18 PM
In the playoffs in 2007 I was working at the AT&T Center as a waiter in the restaurant upstairs. As I was leaving one of the games I saw Stephen A and kept yelling "AHMAD!! YOURE AHMAD RASHAD RIGHT?!?!" he gave me the dirtiest fucking look I ever seen and I just kept yelling it to people, "THERES AHMAD!!"

I hate Stephen A Smith... fuck him. Trolling him in real life was one of my favorite things ever.

:lol

celldweller
04-09-2012, 12:22 PM
:lol not watching Spurs games

That basically sums it up......"they don't watch Spurs games!". They think were the same roster from last year. These people are going to look foolish in May.

Spur|n|Austin
04-09-2012, 12:37 PM

Nice, that guy has tool written on his forehead.

GrandeDavid
04-09-2012, 12:40 PM
So on first take today Skip Bayless defends his pick of the Spurs and cites the deep bench including Splitter and Mills. Smith begins to laugh his ass off and mock Tiago and Pattys names for a minute. Bayless says Spurs are the best in pick and roll and Splitter is a big reason. Of course Smith is such a tool and just keeps laughing. Does this guy watch any bball outside the big markets.

q1LRRjRYCdo

Stephen A. is not very good but there's a niche for loudmouths who stir the pot. You won't raise your basketball IQ listening to his show, that's for certain.

cd98
04-09-2012, 01:02 PM
If it's any consolation, Bill Simmons (from ESPN and Grantland) says that the Spurs are one of his favorite teams to watch because they pass and they genuinely seem to like each other.

YoMamaIsCallin
04-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Both Smith and Jalen Rose are, quite obviously, extremely biased in favor of American-born "urban" players, to the point where it completely affects their judgement. If you want to call that racist, then they're racist.

ajballer4
04-09-2012, 01:54 PM
If it's any consolation, Bill Simmons (from ESPN and Grantland) says that the Spurs are one of his favorite teams to watch because they pass and they genuinely seem to like each other.

Bill Simmons is for sure one of the most knowledgable national journalists. I love reading his pieces.

jestersmash
04-09-2012, 02:10 PM
I can't believe my ears. Stephen A. Smith just pulled a 180 and had nice things to say about the Spurs (including Patty Mills/Stephen Jackson, although he left Tiago Splitter's name out :lol) -

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/dallas/play?id=7791192&s=dallas

Skip to around 3:00 (you'll hear the tail end of now the Knicks probably won't make it past the 1st round unless they get hot from 3).

Stephen A. Smith is clearly just trying to put on a show when he's in front of the bright lights debating Skip Bayless.

Obstructed_View
04-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Go ahead and add Jalen Rose. He feels that the Spurs are the fouth best team out of the west heading into the playoffs and their depth does not mean anything once the playoffs start. He has them behind the Thunder, Grizzlies, and Lakers.

There are lots of Spurs fans that think the same thing. The Spurs are playing really well right now, but they still lack size, particularly if Splitter and Duncan aren't getting any time.

jestersmash
04-09-2012, 02:55 PM
The Skip Bayless vs Jalen Rose discussion happens around 41:00 for those interested -

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/dallas/play?id=7792335&s=dallas

Two10Whitey
04-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Man Jalen Rose pisses me off. The same idiot who predicted the Pacers to win the championship a few years ago. Parker>Westbrook.

FkLA
04-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Jalen doesnt annoy me as much tbh, atleast he presents the lack of size argument which has some merit. Although he makes it obvious that he doesnt follow the Spurs closely when he pretty much says Blair is the 2nd best bigman, Spurs have noone other than TD over 6'10", and that TP isnt dishing dimes at a good rate this season. Still its nowhere near as bad as Stephen A. Smiths argument which pretty much consists of saying the Spurs have no shot because they have players whose first names are Tiago and Patty.

SpursRock20
04-09-2012, 05:13 PM
So let me get this straight...Jalen gets paid to watch basketball games and he can't even give an adequate analysis of one of the league's best teams.

Sec24Row7
04-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Jalen has hated the spurs ever since he got punked by them in his "championship add on year" in 2006-7 with the suns.

TampaDude
04-09-2012, 05:50 PM
First Take is like pro wrestling. Entertaining but totally staged.

The_Worlds_finest
04-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Tiago Splitter! Come on guys, even I am not that much of a homer to think the Spurs are going to have a walk in the park in the playoffs.

Keepin' it real
04-11-2012, 10:46 PM
You think he's a tool now? Wait until First Take tomorrow ...