PDA

View Full Version : Spurs mental toughness

biziofromdowntown
04-04-2012, 08:51 PM
This team shows us that our guys don't give up a fuck, after an ugly game they r able to hit clutch shoots, one over all, Neal

Props guys!

Mel_13
04-04-2012, 08:53 PM
ugly win is a win

spurspokesman
04-04-2012, 08:55 PM
i called it in the game thread. Neal has short term memory. He just remembers the moment at hand lol. He and bonner made up for there transgressions. All is well that ends well

TDMVPDPOY
04-04-2012, 09:00 PM
mental toughness my ass, had they loss the game, everyone on here would be calling them out for choking away a game where they hold most of the leads tonight...

they were lucky tonight...

ElNono
04-04-2012, 09:00 PM
knee jerk thread is knee jerk

Obstructed_View
04-04-2012, 09:01 PM
They deserve some credit for not folding when it wasn't going well for them, but they really made it hard on themselves with stupid decisions and bad basketball.

Brazil
04-04-2012, 09:02 PM
mental toughness my ass, had they loss the game, everyone on here would be calling them out for choking away a game where they hold most of the leads tonight...

Trainwreck2100
04-04-2012, 09:02 PM
lol if pierce's shot went in, if would have been a fold. This was Miami all over again but they got lucky Boston sucked on offense

Manu-20
04-04-2012, 09:05 PM
I think this was a great win the spurs beat the hottest team beside the spurs on a back to back. We got a W and the spurs arnt stupid they know they played like complete turds the entire game and it shouldnt of been that close down the stretch but its good to see the teams mental toughness of not folding when the Cs went up.

pgardn
04-04-2012, 09:10 PM
They deserve some credit for not folding when it wasn't going well for them, but they really made it hard on themselves with stupid decisions and bad basketball.

Well stated.

weebo
04-04-2012, 09:12 PM

can't expect them to play perfect ball every game bud

Seventyniner
04-04-2012, 09:14 PM
This is why Mills shouldn't take Neal's place in the rotation, defense be damned. Neal has the clutch gene, and you can't teach that.

Obstructed_View
04-04-2012, 09:14 PM
can't expect them to play perfect ball every game bud

lol perfect ball. Yeah that's why I posted that. :lol

TDMVPDPOY
04-04-2012, 09:17 PM
only thing this team is good at is blowing loads when they are up by +14 pts...

dont need to tell me what they do when the bench comes in when the leads start to go backwards, going away from executing plays to worrying about individual stats

Manu-20
04-04-2012, 09:22 PM
only thing this team is good at is blowing loads when they are up by +14 pts...

dont need to tell me what they do when the bench comes in when the leads start to go backwards, going away from executing plays to worrying about individual stats
It was one game the spurs were on a back to back against the hottest team since the all star break not to metion a great defensive team that was a main reason why the spurs were so dam horrible in the 2nd half. Yes the spurs played terrible in the 2ndhalf but considering our big three played bad and we still got the W even with our excution I think this is a good W and in the playoffs there's going to be ugly games and this will only help the spurs going foward.

TDMVPDPOY
04-04-2012, 09:34 PM
It was one game the spurs were on a back to back against the hottest team since the all star break not to metion a great defensive team that was a main reason why the spurs were so dam horrible in the 2nd half. Yes the spurs played terrible in the 2ndhalf but considering our big three played bad and we still got the W even with our excution I think this is a good W and in the playoffs there's going to be ugly games and this will only help the spurs going foward.

the big 3 didnt blow a 16pt lead or a 11pt lead in the 3rd quarter, it was the stupid bench players and marginal players who played with a cold hand when they had plenty of open looks.....they were lucky jax and splitter bailed them out when scoring was needed....and they only had 4 shots between them for that 3rd quarter only, while shithole chuckers contiinue to throw up wasted open looks not making them

SenorSpur
04-04-2012, 09:41 PM

Kind of what I was thinking too...

If Pierce's shot goes down, then we're talking about something totally different. Had the Spurs not been so utterly careless with the basketball, this game would not have been as close as it was.

They were damn lucky and fortunate that the Celtics were almost as inept offensively as they were. Still, ANY win is a good win.

TDMVPDPOY
04-04-2012, 10:01 PM
fck pop for continue to stick with the shithole players for the game when in the given minutes they havnt shown anything yet continue to get minutes, yet there are still players waiting to come in to contribute who are better then the crap given minutes...

diaw stuck on the bench, while bonner, neal, blair still get playing time

HeroSquad
04-04-2012, 10:08 PM
fck pop for continue to stick with the shithole players for the game when in the given minutes they havnt shown anything yet continue to get minutes, yet there are still players waiting to come in to contribute who are better then the crap given minutes...

diaw stuck on the bench, while bonner, neal, blair still get playing time

Why do you even follow the team? They seem to only piss you off.

TDMVPDPOY
04-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Why do you even follow the team? They seem to only piss you off.

cause im pissing you off to get a conversation going, u mad?

pjjrfan
04-04-2012, 10:15 PM
It was a learning experience for the young guys and a good win for the team as a whole. they ground it out and got the W. I was dissapointed in Leonard's performance but being a rookie he needed a game where he was going to get schooled by a wily pro now let's see how he comes back, I think he will do fine. As much as I bitched at the refs they didn't really favor either team I thought the Spurs let the physical play get to them but it will help that they got the win on a night they could have easily folded.

TDMVPDPOY
04-04-2012, 10:18 PM
you cant complain about calls when u blow a 16pt lead besides urself

bigfan
04-04-2012, 10:22 PM
A rough game, not pretty but a win on the road on night 2 of a back to back against a very hot Celtic team. Ill take it any time! Well done Spurs!

Nathan89
04-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Mental toughness would mean we started playing well at some point in the 4th despite playing like shit the entire 3rd. We just got lucky though.

Reck
04-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Parker is weak minded.

He looked rattled when teh Celtics started making their comeback. He refused to drive to the hoop and went outside his game, reverting to shooting 3s.

I mean, Parker shooting the 3 equals to a center trying to handle the ball for more then 2 seconds. C'mon now.

TheSkeptic
04-04-2012, 10:44 PM
Parker is weak minded.

He looked rattled when teh Celtics started making their comeback. He refused to drive to the hoop and went outside his game, reverting to shooting 3s.

I mean, Parker shooting the 3 equals to a center trying to handle the ball for more then 2 seconds. C'mon now.

Hey!

I'm not sure if weak minded is the right word. He just tends to react badly to really physical play in my opinion.

Reck
04-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Hey!

I'm not sure if weak minded is the right word. He just tends to react badly to really physical play in my opinion.

Actually I was gonna say mental midget but went with the latter.

Honestly, there is no nice way to put it. Parker has some bad tendencies. He's good at what he does but when he gets Ddup and has no way out he turns to shit. His bad games are atrocious to watch. He'll make the worst decisions I've ever seen.

Yuixafun
04-04-2012, 10:53 PM

I come away with two positives from this exciting and exasperating game...

When shit breaks down the Spurs are heady and can scramble to make something out of it. That tenacity and fight and perseverance is vital for a championship team.

You can't always get lucky but you can play hard... (and smart cough)

The other.... is that... in a battle of attrition, the Spurs will win.

If both teams go cold I have faith the Spurs will be the first team to score.

It's so opposite of how we won in the past, but it's also similar.

Instead of us making that final stop though, it's like we have that one last offensive flurry to win.
:toast

Yuixafun
04-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Hey!

Uhhh... remember when we had a 2-0 lead going into LA, I forget which year 2004?

Parker was amazing the first 2 games...

And then the Zen Master ordered the Lackers to pack the paint and the Jordan rules were employed on Parker.

4 straight losses.

TDMVPDPOY
04-04-2012, 11:05 PM
love the tp hate in the last few posts, keep it up fellas

Yuixafun
04-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Actually I was gonna say mental midget but went with the latter.

Honestly, there is no nice way to put it. Parker has some bad tendencies. He's good at what he does but when he gets Ddup and has no way out he turns to shit. His bad games are atrocious to watch. He'll make the worst decisions I've ever seen.

Manu and Timmy have their bad tendencies too..

Manu was throwing those lazy obvious passes... ones where he just sort of goes through the motion instead of really delivering the ball, and they were getting deflected and stolen. I cursed out loud several times.

He had back to back stupid turn overs in one sequence.

And then Timmy has those days where he doesn't shoot the ball he just sort of flicks up some nasty trash and then hops around looking for a call instead of getting back on D.

Yet the Spurs found a way to win despite themselves. :downspin:

TheSkeptic
04-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Uhhh... remember when we had a 2-0 lead going into LA, I forget which year 2004?

And then the Zen Master ordered the Lackers to pack the paint and the Jordan rules were employed on Parker.

4 straight losses.

I never said that those tendencies didn't lead to horrific losses. It was semantics more than anything tbh. :lol

therealtruth
04-04-2012, 11:15 PM

4 straight losses.

It's the same strategy the Grizzlies used last year. Parker still can't beat it.

Dex
04-04-2012, 11:25 PM
Spurs faced a huge mountain tonight and overcame.

Not getting calls all night. Terrible execution in the entire second half...bobbling passes, missing shots, getting stripped and blocked, turning the ball over. They literally had nothing going for them. On top of that, they lost their maestro when Parker went down.

When Boston made it over the hump and took the lead in the last three minutes, a lot of teams would've folded. Instead, the Spurs scrapped just enough to turn a game that very well should have been an L into a W. Reminded me of some of the hard-nosed battles we saw from the Spurs teams of old.

Blowouts are great, but they don't come often in the playoffs. Sometimes, I think it's better for the Spurs to have to deal with a little adversity and learn how to thrive on it.

T Park
04-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Parker is weak minded.

Yeah a guy who's won finals game got scared.

Where do you clowns crawl out from?

ezau
04-04-2012, 11:33 PM
I'm actually surprised that we won this considering it's the second game of a back-to-back. I prefer it to be a lot easier, but the Cs are the hottest team in the league and they're playing elite defense at the moment.

Reck
04-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Yeah a guy who's won finals game got scared.

Where do you clowns crawl out from?

Oh hey, haven't seen you in ages.

Still a Parker nut hugger eh?

Obstructed_View
04-05-2012, 11:34 AM
I come away with two positives from this exciting and exasperating game...

When shit breaks down the Spurs are heady and can scramble to make something out of it. That tenacity and fight and perseverance is vital for a championship team.

You can't always get lucky but you can play hard... (and smart cough)

The other.... is that... in a battle of attrition, the Spurs will win.

If both teams go cold I have faith the Spurs will be the first team to score.

It's so opposite of how we won in the past, but it's also similar.

Instead of us making that final stop though, it's like we have that one last offensive flurry to win.
:toast

Yeah, I'm on board with that. Though the Spurs' defense couldn't have been much worse on the last two possessions. Allen was so wide open on his three there isn't really an adverb to describe it. Then having the ball in Paul Pierce's hands on a mismatch with a chance to win the game is just playing with fire.