PDA

View Full Version : What about a Parker-Mills lineup?

GSH
04-05-2012, 11:02 AM
In the second half against the Celtics, the Spurs were having a real problem getting shots other than 3-pointers. The C's obviously understood that stopping Parker is key to slowing down this Spurs offense. Tim was struggling to make anything happen in the paint, and Manu was just struggling. The Spurs were in desperate need of some offense, and some higher-percentage shots.

Earlier in the season, when the Spurs found themselves in similar situations, Pop experimented with putting TJ Ford on the floor with Tony. And the results, as I remember them, were not too shabby. I wouldn't mind seeing him repeat the experiment with Parker and Mills. I'm sure Pop had his reasons for not playing Mills last night. But even if he had played Mills, it almost certainly would have been as a way to get Tony some rest.

Do you think there's enough time in the regular season for Pop to test a 2 PG lineup again? Do you think he would do it with Mills as the second PG? And, mostly, do you think it would be as effective? And if you do think it would work, who else would you leave on the floor? I would especially like to hear from those who have watched Mills play a lot.

100%duncan
04-05-2012, 11:09 AM
How about Diaw at the point? TBH.

DBMethos
04-05-2012, 11:15 AM
I think it would be worth a try. Hell, anything would have been worth a try in the second half last night.

TJastal
04-05-2012, 11:37 AM
In the second half against the Celtics, the Spurs were having a real problem getting shots other than 3-pointers. The C's obviously understood that stopping Parker is key to slowing down this Spurs offense. Tim was struggling to make anything happen in the paint, and Manu was just struggling. The Spurs were in desperate need of some offense, and some higher-percentage shots.

Earlier in the season, when the Spurs found themselves in similar situations, Pop experimented with putting TJ Ford on the floor with Tony. And the results, as I remember them, were not too shabby. I wouldn't mind seeing him repeat the experiment with Parker and Mills. I'm sure Pop had his reasons for not playing Mills last night. But even if he had played Mills, it almost certainly would have been as a way to get Tony some rest.

Do you think there's enough time in the regular season for Pop to test a 2 PG lineup again? Do you think he would do it with Mills as the second PG? And, mostly, do you think it would be as effective? And if you do think it would work, who else would you leave on the floor? I would especially like to hear from those who have watched Mills play a lot.

I think Mills will be lucky to get many more opportunities to even log backup minutes, much less start and/or play alongside Parker.

But I'll give my take on a Mills/Parker backcourt. In looking at last night's game as a litmus test, this is the type of stingy defense the spurs are likely to encounter come playoff time from a number of teams. It's probably safe to assume that if Parker cannot effectively penetrate a defense, Mills will absolutely have no chance.

therealtruth
04-05-2012, 03:46 PM

Ford is a much better passer I think.

timvp
04-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Do you think there's enough time in the regular season for Pop to test a 2 PG lineup again?Honestly, I don't think so. Pop can test it but there's probably not enough time to master it before the playoffs start.

And, mostly, do you think it would be as effective?It doesn't excite me. The interesting part about playing TJ and TP together is that TJ could run the show and TP could go into scoring mode. With TP and Mills, TP would still be point guard and Mills would just be a tiny shooting guard.

Even if Pop really wants shooting on the court and doesn't care about size in the backcourt, going with TP and Neal is the better option anyways. That combo already has chemistry and Neal is already accustomed to playing off the ball.

IMO, the only way TP and Mills becomes an option is if Neal is unavailable or amazingly cold. Otherwise, there are just too many options outside of Mills to pair with TP in the backcourt (Manu, SJax, Green, Neal and even Anderson).

All that said, if Mills returns next season, it could be a pairing worth exploring against teams that play two small guards ... like the Mavs.

Good idea, though :tu

freetiago
04-05-2012, 05:24 PM
mills has become overrated already here
hes a backup point guard at best
but hes only a point guard because of size not skill set
he only looks to do one thing when hes on the floor
id rather have gary in that role since hes a proven player
gary did pretty well at point guard in the first half anyway while still scoring a lot
he also had avery bradley draped on him who is possibly the best on ball defender in the league

mills is also not a good defender
hes fast and moves a lot but it doesnt mean hes effective at what hes doing
with a 6 ft PG and 6'2 skinny SG it would be memphis all over again
when shane battier who only shoots corner 3s posted up george hill and scored at ease and commanded a double

therealtruth
04-05-2012, 05:45 PM
when shane battier who only shoots corner 3s posted up george hill and scored at ease and commanded a double

That was another benefit of getting rid of George Hill. We don't have to watch teams post him up anymore.