PDA

View Full Version : Article: Duncan needs to be Spur of moment

tekdragon
06-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Duncan needs to be Spur of moment (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/2005-06-20-duncan_x.htm)

By David DuPree, USA TODAY
SAN ANTONIO — Historically speaking, the NBA Finals have been Tim Duncan's personal showcase — two appearances, two championships and two Finals MVP awards.

Duncan has said that San Antonio's success against the Detroit Pistons starts with him. If the Spurs, who lead the best-of-seven series 3-2, capture their third title with a victory in Game 6 on Tuesday night, he will most likely be the Finals MVP once again.

But life hasn't been so easy the third time around. Duncan has struggled more against Detroit than he did against the New York Knicks in 1999 or the New Jersey Nets in 2003.

Playing alongside 7-1 David Robinson, Duncan dominated both those series, averaging 27.4 points and 14 rebounds against New York and 24.2 points, 17 rebounds, 5.3 assists and 5.3 blocks against New Jersey.

The Pistons have alternated three physical defenders, Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess, who have harassed Duncan into only 40.9% shooting. In his first Finals without Robinson, Duncan is averaging 19.6 points and 14.6 rebounds but still has been the most dominant player.

"He knows that it is going to be a battle and there are going to be guys going after him all night long," coach Gregg Popovich says. "I think that the poise that he shows, and the way that he takes it night after night is really a tribute to his character. He knows that is the responsibility that he has."

Duncan rebounded from back-to-back poor games Sunday with 26 points and 19 rebounds. But he missed six of seven fourth-quarter free throws and what appeared to be an easy tip-in at the end of regulation that would have won the game, and he was scoreless in the overtime.

Robert Horry's heroics saved the Spurs, and Duncan was grateful. "He pulled me out of an incredible hole I put myself in," Duncan said. "It (the fourth quarter) was an absolute nightmare."

He is awake now.

Duncan's highs, lows

A comparison of Tim Duncan's numbers in the Spurs' wins in Games 1, 2 and 5 to his numbers in the losses in Games 3 and 4:

Games won Games lost
Minutes 42.0 38.5
FG pct. 46.4% 31.3%
Rebounds 15.7 13.0
Points 22.7 15.0

DarrinS
06-21-2005, 02:22 PM
Also, you have to consider the caliber of competition.

You have to admit, the Pistons are WAY better than the 1999 Nicks or the 2003 NJ Nets.

But, I also think this Spurs team is better than in 99 or 03.

easjer
06-21-2005, 03:04 PM
It's also worth mentioning two bum ankles. No excuses, I'm just saying. . .

mrcoon29
06-21-2005, 04:11 PM
Nazr needs to get his sh!t together and get Duncan some damn help under the basket. 3 on 1 is not a fair fight.
The Spurs need Nazr to step up tonight & f'ing help. Period.

CosmicCowboy
06-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Nazr needs to get his sh!t together and get Duncan some damn help under the basket. 3 on 1 is not a fair fight.
The Spurs need Nazr to step up tonight & f'ing help. Period.

Now don't be baggin on my boy Nazr...I like him so much I went to the Spurs Shop and bought my official Nazr Oven Mitts...

http://www.chefdepot.net/graphics9/ovenmitts2.jpg

beirmeistr
06-21-2005, 04:25 PM
Duncan is going to have a solid game tonite. And he will get plenty of support from the two Spurs with the most killer instinct----Manu and Big Shot Rob.

MadDog73
06-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Will Duncan have another Monster game tonight? My heart says, yes. (Even though I voted for Manu in the poll to be lead scorer. I think he's due.)

Alchal
06-21-2005, 04:27 PM
Duncan will have a big game tonight.

Vashner
06-21-2005, 04:49 PM
The job is to win.. Duncan does not need to show off.. just .. maybe make a FREE THROW!