View Full Version : How did the Spurs lose to an 8 seed

J.T.
04-06-2012, 01:15 AM
Was in jail did not get to watch playoffs #shocked

Sent from my iPhone

timvp
04-06-2012, 01:23 AM
What you get popped for?

I don't recall the Spurs losing to the Grizzlies. The RJ Era was only two days: the day the Spurs traded for him and the day the Spurs traded him away.

TheSkeptic
04-06-2012, 01:23 AM
Jail...If your story is true then :lmao

It was a combination of things really.

Cliffnotes:

Memphis played really well, game planned, and came prepared. Zach Randolph was on fire. They played OKC to game 7 I think. They were just really hungry, they hustled, and their defense was something else.

Manu got hurt in the last game of the regular season, the Spurs got dominated by their frontcourt, Tony was disappointing, Tim got tired, Bonner did his thing, Dice was old, Blair went into a never-ending cycle of food and depression after getting benched, and Splitter didn't play until it was too late.

TheSkeptic
04-06-2012, 01:25 AM
What you get popped for?

I don't recall the Spurs losing to the Grizzlies. The RJ Era was only two days: the day the Spurs traded for him and the day the Spurs traded him away.

Right. I completely forgot he was ever on the team. :lol

baseline bum
04-06-2012, 01:40 AM
Dick:Spurs::Herc:Colvin tbh

J.T.
04-06-2012, 02:02 AM
What you get popped for?

I sold a doughnut to an undercover cop. It wasn't a doughnut.

chazley
04-06-2012, 02:17 AM
I vote we turn this thread into 'J.T. - The Well' and tell us about what happened.

J.T.
04-06-2012, 03:05 AM
I vote we turn this thread into 'J.T. - The Well' and tell us about what happened.

Or you can just go to the troll forum, read a thread called "Drugs" and fill in the blanks yourself.

sventhedog
04-06-2012, 04:08 AM
a combination of poor interior defense, manu injury, by the spurs and inspired play from the grizzlies.

chazley
04-06-2012, 04:17 AM
Or you can just go to the troll forum, read a thread called "Drugs" and fill in the blanks yourself.

Sick profile pic. Best movie of all-time in my book, and it kinda goes under the radar.

freetiago
04-06-2012, 04:31 AM
cant wait to see how the jackson era spurs play memphis
they played them pretty tough the last few times with soft dick getting some run
maybe Pop will go full panic mode after L.A lays a beatodnw on blair and insert splitter into the starting lineup like he did with mcdyess last time

Robz4000
04-06-2012, 04:33 AM
They played scared the entire series. Yeah you can blame Manu breaking his elbow, RJ, or Pop playing too much Bonner and Blair, but in the end they just pussied out. This year looks to be different with SJax back in the mix, tho.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-06-2012, 04:49 AM
Well in prison you surely went the same way the Spurs did:

They got pushed, beaten and screwed early and by the time they tried to react and fight back, the infection had spread. And then they spent a whole year trying to heal their asses.

Keepin' it real
04-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Too much:
http://www.interbasket.net/news/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/matt-bonner-jumpshot.jpg

Not enough:
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Emeka+Okafor+Tiago+Splitter+San+Antonio+Spurs+KQZB ts3IMWIl.jpg

Oh, and this, one game before the playoffs:
http://cache.comcorpusa.com/465/0/crop/ketk/media/sports/ginobli.1302793582.jpg

8FOR!3
04-06-2012, 08:16 AM
It was a perfect storm for Memphis tbh.

TDMVPDPOY
04-06-2012, 08:23 AM
fck the memphis fans on realgm who think last season wasnt a fluke win against us...we see bitches this playoffs hopefully we get them, they will see what a sweep is like

xellos88330
04-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Manu injured. Darrell Arthur, Grievis Vasquez were huge for that team. They couldn't miss.

BlackSwordsMan
04-06-2012, 09:35 AM
It looked like Zachory Randolph gave a laffy taffy to uncle duncan before every playoff game and touched his balloon knot every game if you catch my drift

mkurts
04-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Absolute fluke win, then wasted as they went on to be killed by Oklahoma City.

Bloody useless team they are, and now this season they suck even more.

Venti Quattro
04-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Absolute fluke win, then wasted as they went on to be killed by Oklahoma City.

Bloody useless team they are, and now this season they suck even more.

Killed? Don't you remember they reached a 7th game and had a triple overtime game to boot? :lol

Fabbs
04-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Too much:

Not enough:

nicely done. :toast
All boiled down:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VABEVU1uyqU/TwNwc3GKIuI/AAAAAAAADNI/2tEaoGUBeE0/s1600/gregg-popovich.jpg
vs
http://blogs.commercialappeal.com/the_memphis_edge/hollinslionel.jpg

thOOdee
04-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Too much:
http://www.interbasket.net/news/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/matt-bonner-jumpshot.jpg

Not enough:
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Emeka+Okafor+Tiago+Splitter+San+Antonio+Spurs+KQZB ts3IMWIl.jpg

true dat

cheguevara
04-06-2012, 10:41 AM

Sent from my iPhone

Just like you in jail, the spurs had too much Dick

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Pretty much the same way the Mavs lost to the Warriors. Spurs peaked too soon, the Grizz hit their stride at the exact right time, terrible matchup issues, even worse shooting performances.

purist
04-06-2012, 10:54 AM
why would you admit to being in jail as a predicate for a question on a public forum?

sehui
04-06-2012, 11:04 AM
why you selling drugs dude? Come on man.

spurspokesman
04-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Too much:

Not enough:

^what he said

Viva Las Espuelas
04-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Man, I remember feeling embarrassed to be a spurs fan during that last game. I'd never seen them look that pitiful in their play and demeanor. I was really dreading this season,but obviously I'm not dreading it any longer.

mercos
04-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Manu broke his elbow popping his collar against Phoenix. Best player missing a game in a seven game series and trying to play the rest with a broken arm is usually not a winning formula. Memphis was a bad match up for the Spurs, but I think with a healthy Manu that series goes a little different..

baseline bum
04-06-2012, 12:20 PM
The Spurs ran out of gas by the end of last season. They looked tired as hell and I don't think they would have beaten any western playoff team other than New Orleans even if Manu hadn't gotten hurt.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Jail, yeah right

Jt has posted since last playoffs just not often

celldweller
04-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Killed? Don't you remember they reached a 7th game and had a triple overtime game to boot? :lol

Oh yea your right. It was your team that got but "KILLED" by the Mavs in the second round! :lol

Spurtacus
04-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Memphis still scares me this year in a potential first round matchup. But if we're healthy we will take the series this year.

Obstructed_View
04-06-2012, 02:32 PM
http://48minutesofhell.com/48minutesofhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/manu-ginobili-elbow-injury.jpg

J.T.
04-06-2012, 02:36 PM
My thawts:

The only drugs J.T. was selling may have been surplus ADHD medication to his fellow undergrads.

J.T. was hitting the books, not the weights in the yard, but he doesn't want to forfeit any SpursTalk.com street cred.

I'm not prescribed to adderall. Took it once to study for a test, ended up playing video games instead. False advertisement, they said it would help me study. Maybe I should just cut out the middle man and go straight to meth.

mingus
04-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Pop's misjudgement that he could sit Manu out for game 1 and think we'd still win the series, and Pop's misjudgement that getting Spliter acclimated was not important. Parker played shitty, and that hurt us a lot, too.

Obstructed_View
04-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Pop's misjudgement that he could sit Manu out for game 1 and think we'd still win the series, and Pop's misjudgement that getting Spliter acclimated was not important. Parker played shitty, and that hurt us a lot, too.

Parker played horribly, Hill was terrible, and Duncan was brilliant in a couple of games but only for the first half. He seemed to run completely out of gas. That said, with the terrible matchups, a healthy Manu would have squeaked them by at least for that series.

mingus
04-06-2012, 02:44 PM
The Spurs ran out of gas by the end of last season. They looked tired as hell and I don't think they would have beaten any western playoff team other than New Orleans even if Manu hadn't gotten hurt.

Manu plays game 1, and i think the Spurs win the series. I bet we would have gone to Memphis 2-0 and they would not have been able to recover.

There was not that much difference between most of the teams, and we simply could not afford to sit out our best player for one game.

mingus
04-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Parker played horribly, Hill was terrible, and Duncan was brilliant in a couple of games but only for the first half. He seemed to run completely out of gas. That said, with the terrible matchups, a healthy Manu would have squeaked them by at least for that series.

I don't know about squeeked. While I think Memphis was really good, I think a lot of the stuff they threw up was bullshit. Sam Young, Conley, Randolph, Allen were all riding the wave of being tied 1-2 going to Memphis. They believed they could beat us, and I am not sure they would have had the 2-0 scenario played out.

YoMamaIsCallin
04-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Maybe I should just cut out the middle man and go straight to meth.

It's worked well for so many others.

TJastal
04-06-2012, 04:36 PM
http://48minutesofhell.com/48minutesofhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/manu-ginobili-elbow-injury.jpg

Grant Hill is doubled over in this picture. Must have been some "arm-bar" Manu gave him.

:lol

TJastal
04-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Manu plays game 1, and i think the Spurs win the series. I bet we would have gone to Memphis 2-0 and they would not have been able to recover.

There was not that much difference between most of the teams, and we simply could not afford to sit out our best player for one game.

Oh yah, almost forgot about that little factoid. That was so Pop to sit out his best player in the 1st fucking game of the series.

He might as well just played his other favorite card called "the forfeit".

Spurs da champs
04-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Manu injured. Darrell Arthur, Grievis Vasquez were huge for that team. They couldn't miss.

Don't forget Battier constantly abusing Manu in the post.

J.T.
04-06-2012, 07:36 PM
why you selling drugs dude? Come on man.

I got starving kids what you want me to do get a real job? :lmao

why would you admit to being in jail as a predicate for a question on a public forum?

Apart from apathy I guess I really don't have an answer for you

thispego
04-06-2012, 10:16 PM

Sent from my iPhone

:lmao how fucking surprising. You drug boggled mind wouldn't understand anyways. Go take another hit and make your parents proud :rollin

thispego
04-06-2012, 10:20 PM

Dudes a fuckin shmuck, it won't be his last trip to tha clank. Trust me. The stupid ones always end up behind bars :lol

vander
04-06-2012, 10:20 PM
What you get popped for?

well done :lol

J.T.
04-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Go take another hit and make your parents proud :rollin

Grow up, pego. We can't all be desperate drug addicts looking for a connect on SpursTalk. You're better than this.

SnakeBoy
04-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Last year wasn't a fluke win for Memphis. Memphis was the better team last year. Spurs had a great regular season playing Suns ball but as expected they got their ass kicked when the playoffs started. This year should be different now that Pop has remembered his last name is not D'Antoni.

baseline bum
04-06-2012, 11:22 PM

I don't think it would have gone down like that at all. They were 2-3 vs Memphis with Manu, and one of those wins came on two lucky shots. Two high quality bigs and the best perimeter defender in the league? Spurs weren't matching up with that last year no matter what once Jefferson reverted back to late-season form.

ducks
04-06-2012, 11:29 PM

Sent from my iPhone
was in jail after he watched his colts suck donkeys

TheSkeptic
04-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Last year wasn't a fluke win for Memphis. Memphis was the better team last year. Spurs had a great regular season playing Suns ball but as expected they got their ass kicked when the playoffs started. This year should be different now that Pop has remembered his last name is not D'Antoni.

I'm not so sure.

The Spurs need to avoid Memphis/LA in my opinion.

ezau
04-07-2012, 10:06 AM
I dunno about you guys, but I'd really want to meet the Grizzlies this season. I know it's gonna be tough but Tim, Manu, and TP are fucking motivated to get a revenge win if this ever happens.

JRHernandez88
04-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Hell yeah man it's a must to me. No easy shit for me lets go get em'.

JRHernandez88
04-07-2012, 11:11 AM
As a matter of fact I think we win game 1 last year if battier doesn't rattle in that 3 and it a whole different series. Not to mention manu was out that game. Not trying to make excuses because what happened happened. But manu 100 and Timmy 100 with the new bigs I don't think theyre seeing us.

hooperflash
04-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Honestly? Zach Randolph made a pact with the Devil.

therealtruth
04-07-2012, 04:39 PM
The people who think Zach Randolph played out of his mind need to think about it rationally. He had Matt Bonner, Dejaun Blair, and Dice defending him. Dice was the only guy who had a reasonable chance of defending him and he didn't have a good series. Then on defense he didn't have to expend any energy to guard these guys. You would have expected him to have a good series going against that type of defense. Once he got hot he was hard to stop.

You think he would have had as easy a time against TD or even Splitter? Bonner and Blair still can't defend him straight up. That's why it's important to have your best defenders prevent good players from developing rhythm. Otherwise you are in for a long game or long series.

DMC
04-07-2012, 05:08 PM
:pop: They made some shots, we didn't. They defended, we didn't. They were the better team, hungrier for the win than we were.

Any more questions?

heyheymymy
04-07-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm talking about this in another forum right now actually, here's my take:

From 99-09, the Memphis Grizzlies had 7 top 10 first round draft picks. 6 of those 7 picks were top 5 draft picks. You're bound to put together a strong, talented, and young team with picks like that.

In my opinion, it's amazing that the Grizzlies aren't more of a heavyweight right now then they are with picks like that. I guess when you bungle picks on guys like Hasheem Thabeet (#2 overall, James Harden and Tyreke Evans both picked right after Thabeet) you miss the boat.

In that same time frame the San Antonio Spurs didn't have a single top 10 draft pick, a product of getting into the playoffs consistently in that era thus lowering the draft pick to the last few selections of the first round. They were forced to dig deep to find top 10 talent late in the draft (#57 overall, Manu Ginobili)

People also forget that Manu was playing that first round with a BROKEN ARM. This was a big problem because that season, the Spurs ran the bulk of the offense through him, relying heavily on him to produce points. It was also a problem because it happened the very last game of the season, in game 82/82, giving them basically a week to completely rewrite the offense before the first round of the playoffs.

Yes, Rudy Gay was out as well, but that happened barely mid-season, giving the Grizz more than enough time to spread Rudy's touches around and restructure the offense. I like to argue that this actually made the Memphis Grizz more versatile, and a better team.

Rudy Gay is very talented, but there is only so much ball to go around. getting more team mates involved made the Grizz evolve from a one dimensional offense, to a multi-pronged attack with more options.

heyheymymy
04-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Plus RJ is a pussy. I rest my case.

therealtruth
04-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Even though Manu's arm was broken his stats were not that different from the playoffs the year before where he was the focal point on offense. I am wondering what Manu was expected to average without a broken arm?

Biernutz
04-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Memphis tanked it so they would get 8th seed and play us. They beat us in the regular season and they thought the would have their best chance by playing the Spurs.

They were right!