PDA

View Full Version : Buford for executive of the year

hater
04-06-2012, 11:41 AM
when you sum it all up like this, :wow what pimps Buford, Pop and the rest of SPURS FO are

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/04/04/guest-column-roth-on-buford-for-executive-of-year/

Following the San Antonio Spurs’ first-round elimination in the playoffs last season, most NBA observers, including myself, thought their days as championship contenders were behind them.

But Gregg Popovich’s team is firmly entrenched atop the Southwest Division with a 7 1/2 game lead over the Dallas Mavericks, and their 36-14 record is the fourth-best in the league.
San Antonio has accomplished all this despite the fact that former All-Star Manu Ginobili has missed 29 games, and was the team’s leading scorer when he went down on January 2 with a broken bone in his left hand that kept him sidelined until mid-February.

The Spurs have been one of the most successful franchises for more than a decade now, and a lot of the credit goes to a guy I call their secret weapon — general manager R.C. Buford, who has been with the team in various capacities since 1994, but seems to fly under the national radar.
Amazingly, he has never won the Executive of the Year Award.

R.C. should stand for the “right choice”, since he seems to always do just that when it comes to evaluating talent, in particular when it comes to the NBA draft — but also this year at the trade deadline.

Ginobili was the next-to-last pick (57th overall) in the 1999 draft. Tony Parker was taken with the 28th pick in the first round in 2001, while Tiago Splitter was selected at the very same spot in 2007. George Hill was the 26th selection in the first round in 2008 and DeJuan Blair was taken with the seventh pick (37th overall) in the second round in 2009.

Last year’s find by Buford wasn’t even via the draft. Guard Gary Neal, who went undrafted in 2007 and played one season in Spain and two in Italy, was signed by the Spurs after an impressive showing in the Las Vegas summer league.

When Ginobili went down, Parker obviously had concerns about losing such a talented and valuable player.”It’s going to be tough for us because he was playing at an All-Star level,” said Parker at the time of Ginobili’s injury. “And now we’re going to have to have everybody pick it up.”
One of the guys that picked it up when he got the opportunity has been rookie Kawhi Leonard.

Buford targeted Leonard in the draft, and thought enough of him to deal their young, backup point guard George Hill to the Pacers in exchange for his draft rights. The Spurs apparently didn’t want to tip their hand and show their interest in Leonard prior to the draft, so they didn’t even have him in for a private workout.

It didn’t take long for Leonard to impress a very tough critic in Popovich, especially on the defensive end, as he invoked the name of a famous former Spurs player following Leonard’s first career start on Jauary 11.

“It’s huge for us to have a guy on the team that can do similar things to what Bruce [Bowen] did in the past,” Popovich said. “This young man’s got a lot to learn, but he’s very willing, very versatile, and I think he’s got the ability to be one heck of a player.”

The 6-7 Leonard, who can guard multiple positions, is aided in that effort by his tremendous length (his wing span is 7 feet, 3/8 inches) and freakishly large hands which measure 9 3/8 inches from wrist to middle fingertip.
I’m sure Leonard’s play contributed to the trade-deadline deal that sent starting small forward Richard Jefferson, along with a conditional first-round pick, to the Warriors for Stephen Jackson.

Buford already knows what Jackson can deliver, as he was part of the Spurs’ 2003 championship team. The deal also saves some valuable cap space and money in the future as Jackson has one more year left on his contract at just over $10 million,while Jefferson has two years remaining at just over $21 million.
With Jackson and Leonard at the “3″, the Spurs can make the likes of Kevin Durant work as hard as humanly possible if the teams meet in the Western Conference playoffs.

Following Jefferson’s departure, Leonard moved into the starting lineup with some very impressive results — and I’m not just talking about his stat line (10 games, 11.3 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 52% FG%). The number that counts the most is in the win column. The Spurs are 9-1 and are currently riding an 8-game winning streak since the trade.

As for the Spurs’ GM, his wheeling and dealing didn’t stop at the trade deadline. Buford signed forward Boris Diaw after he was bought out by the Bobcats, and signed point guard Patrick Mills, who was playing in China during the lockout and was a backup in Portland last season.

Diaw had fallen out of favor with head coach Paul Silas in Charlotte and wanted to play for a contending team.

There’s no doubt he was less than impressive this season with the Bobcats, but there’s basically little risk on the part of the Spurs, and in return, they get a player with plenty of playoff experience (39 games, 13.9 ppg).

The signing of Mills filled the void left by the sudden loss of T.J. Ford, who abruptly retired last month following another scare to his surgically repaired spine.

On the surface, Mills replacing Ford doesn’t seem like a very big deal, but there is a huge difference between the two players.

Ford was a marginal NBA player, while Mills is just 23-years old with plenty of upside. Scouting reports on Mills prior to the draft in 2009 noted his tremendous quickness and explosive first step. Our own Chris Sheridan told a story recently about his first look at Mills.

Thanks to Buford, the Spurs arguably have the deepest and best bench in the league. The fact that the Spurs are extremely serious title contenders when many prematurely wrote them off should earn Buford the long-deserved NBA Executive of the Year Award.

timvp
04-06-2012, 11:45 AM
RC would have my vote simply for getting SJax and $12 million for a first round pick and salary filler.

TheCerebral1
04-06-2012, 12:12 PM
True on everything. I always like that RC is willing to make things happen regardless of cap ramifications. He basically has said, "Sure we'll go over the cap if the player is the right fit". This trade deadline proved how cerebral he is at waiting and pouncing. Being a Spurs fan since 1995 has been a privledge.

DBMethos
04-06-2012, 12:14 PM
http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/06/47/04/1732914/4/628x471.jpg

Great comeback from this, TBH.

Spur|n|Austin
04-06-2012, 12:15 PM
http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/06/47/04/1732914/4/628x471.jpg

What me worry?

Juggity
04-06-2012, 12:23 PM

RC's been in redemption mode this season

Almost makes me wish he'd commit misdemeanors more often

TDMVPDPOY
04-06-2012, 12:42 PM
really is this a fkn joke?

lol listening to friends advice to draft a busts wasted pick....

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-06-2012, 12:46 PM
R.C. should stand for the “right choice”, since he seems to always do just that when it comes to evaluating talent, in particular when it comes to the NBA draft — but also this year at the trade deadline...

Last year’s find by Buford wasn’t even via the draft. Guard Gary Neal, ...

Buford targeted Leonard in the draft, ...

Nice article, but not sure why they keep calling Pop Buford...

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Serious question: who else would be in the running?

BanditHiro
04-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Serious question: who else would be in the running?

i guess the clippers FO for getting CP3

jjktkk
04-06-2012, 01:42 PM

Most of your posts are a joke, tbh. If you can't see what a great job RC has done this past year, there really not alot of hope for you.

Drz
04-06-2012, 01:59 PM
He should be a shoo-in in my opinion. I only recently moved to San Antonio (I was a half-hearted Pacers fan), and my outsider's perspective is that the Spurs have the best-run front office not just in the NBA, but in all major sports, and by a very, very wide margin.

It's not just results-based. It's how they can attract talent to a small market. It's how they blend statistics and performance evaluation into winning better than ANY independent analyst I've ever seen. It's how they practically never miss on any moves they make. The only moves we can ridicule (Scola being the biggest I think) are so minor in the grand scheme of things it's almost laughable.

The Spurs might be the only professional sports team I don't think I could go work for in a statistical capacity and add any value. Whatever they're doing, it's far superior to anything I could do, even if I made it my full time occupation.

Yes, I'm zukking the FO knob, but it deserves to be zukked.

This might be RC's career year for an award that probably could've gone to him anyway just for a lifetime achievement award.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-06-2012, 02:01 PM
i guess the clippers FO for getting CP3

That's certainly been the splashiest move but they also only got him after the league shot down a deal that the Lakers made with the Hornets management. Besides that they signed Billups, who made a lot of noise dictating who should try to sign him and who shouldn't, only for him to end up on the shelf for the year.

TBH the Lakers are the only other team I could think of that's made some quality moves. They shipped Odom out for cash. Obviously that didn't help their bench but plenty of Mavs fans will tell you that the Lakers got the better of that deal. They got Sessions at the deadline and ditched Fisher, which is a pretty big upgrade, but they also shot themselves in the foot with the locker room drama generated by unsuccessfully shopping Gasol even after the Paul deal fell through.

Drz
04-06-2012, 02:03 PM
I think the Lakers and Clips deserve mention in the same way Tony Parker deserves mentioning for the MVP. Yes, they've certainly been fantastic and we have to mention them, but we all know they shouldn't win.

Spursfanfromafar
04-06-2012, 02:05 PM
The most interesting thing is that.. this forum discusses every thing related to the Spurs far more than anywhere else. But .. But for Bruno getting the Boris Diaw buyout prediction right on the money, no mofo here guessed that Stephen Jackson was coming back and that Jefferson's contract was going to be dumped on someone else; or George Hill could have been swapped for a talent like Kawhi or that Kawhi would turn out to be so good so quickly or Patty Mills of all anonymous backup midget guards would be chosen by the Spurs to replace TJ Ford and be a seamless fit.

That, I suppose, is to the front office's credit. They have wiped out a mistake like RJ who was seen to be untradeable till the trade deadline and they have screwed the keys of the team for a championship run. And no one - on Spurstalk or ESPN or any of the hoops punditry had an inkling that they would pull this off.

Lets gush out a little more if these moves pan out to something that we all thirst for - the Fifth.

Mel_13
04-06-2012, 11:47 PM
RC would have my vote simply for getting SJax and $12 million for a first round pick and salary filler.

:lol

All future references to the player traded for Jackson will be as "salary filler".

rascal
04-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Overrating the front office moves. No impact players acquired. Jackson, Patty Mills and Diaw like those guys are going to play a big difference in the playoffs. None of those guys are even starter worthy.

Come the playoffs it will still be on the big 3 to carry the team like year in and year out. No upgrade on the frontline so no, RC doesn't get executive of the year.

ChumpDumper
04-07-2012, 10:46 AM
lol Make a trade steal

hooperflash
04-07-2012, 11:22 AM
he's rejuvenated the fan base with key additions this year, definitely deserves it! Go Spurs Go!

Vito Corleone
04-07-2012, 12:33 PM

Advise my dad gave me. Keep quiet and look like an idiot, or open your mouth and prove everyone right.

You should follow my dad's advise.

Buford has proven time and again to be one of the best in the business of all time, not just right now.

manufan10
04-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Apparently some here will never be happy with the moves the FO make, no matter how small or how significant.

Spur|n|Austin
04-08-2012, 08:27 PM

I would say ask, not sure if serious, but your thousands of half witted posts say it all.

Giuseppe
04-08-2012, 08:30 PM
What was the name of the Spurs high mucky muck that drove his car drunk as a fuckin' skunk?

DMC
04-08-2012, 08:36 PM
If you go to other teams' forums, you will see cries for coaching changes, especially over at LG. What a lot of these people don't get is that a coach cannot change a team without having a good GM, owner and front office that supports his decisions. The coach has to have authority. The Spurs have given Pop that authority and Pop has not let them down.

So, to say our coach is one of the best, if not the best in the league, you must also acknowledge the GM and owner who have empowered this guy. In LA, they brought in a name who's coached a high profile player, and the team basically has told him to go fuck himself. Laker fan thinks that a different coach would have better results, but it all comes down to the coach's ability to tell a player to hit the pine without fear of being reprimanded by the Mark Cubans of the world. Front offices bring in players that can be coached, and after a while, a coach develops a reputation in the league so that even hard to coach players will fall in line under this guy because they respect him. They also know that from Tim to Corey Joseph, every player is held accountable by the coaching staff and by their teammates. No so in many other cities.

Giuseppe
04-08-2012, 08:40 PM
What was the name of the Spurs high mucky muck that drove his car drunk as a fuckin' skunk?

Yep, Peter Holt. He'll be telling us how to vote by Labor Day.

tee, hee.

ABC
03-30-2014, 01:32 PM
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/03/29/new-age-nba-analytics-advantage-overload/1gAim4yKYXGUQ2CTAe7iCO/story.html

Rajon Rondo:

“You just can’t look at a number and say, ‘OK, this guy is shooting 50 percent from the field, 90 percent from the free throw line, put him on this team and have a great season.’ It doesn’t work like that.

“You’ve got to know personalities. I think you’ve got to know the locker room. I think that’s why [Heat president] Pat Riley has done a great job. I don’t know who the GM is for the Spurs, but [him, too].”

td_tp_manu
03-30-2014, 02:02 PM
hahahahahaha
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/03/29/new-age-nba-analytics-advantage-overload/1gAim4yKYXGUQ2CTAe7iCO/story.html

Rajon Rondo:

“You just can’t look at a number and say, ‘OK, this guy is shooting 50 percent from the field, 90 percent from the free throw line, put him on this team and have a great season.’ It doesn’t work like that.

“You’ve got to know personalities. I think you’ve got to know the locker room. I think that’s why [Heat president] Pat Riley has done a great job. I don’t know who the GM is for the Spurs, but [him, too].”

justinandimcool
03-30-2014, 02:05 PM
Is he supposed to know?

Prime Time
03-30-2014, 02:25 PM
:lol comparing Riley to Buford. It's apples and oranges, the Spurs have created a foundation that has been winning ever since Day 1. You'd HAVE to get along with one another to be with the same team throughout your entire career.

Miami didn't gather 'matching' personalities, they just get along well because it's so much fun winning titles.

ABC
03-30-2014, 02:25 PM
It's not so much that he's supposed to know (although I'll bet a lot of players do know who R.C. is), it's more that Rondo was doing such a passable job of sounding intelligent and then at the end said "oh and that one guy, whatshisname, he's great too." I thought it was funny. Maybe it's not. Meh.

ABC
03-30-2014, 02:26 PM
:lol comparing Riley to Buford. It's apples and oranges, the Spurs have created a foundation that has been winning ever since Day 1. You'd HAVE to get along with one another to be with the same team throughout your entire career.

Miami didn't gather 'matching' personalities, they just get along well because it's so much fun winning titles.

That too.

ginobilized
03-30-2014, 09:05 PM
Buford deserves it, as a lifetime achievement recognition. It's pretty appalling that he has not ever won Exec of the year.

rjv
03-31-2014, 09:13 AM
buford has never won as far as i know. which is just a farce if that is in fact the case.

Ditty
04-05-2018, 01:20 AM
bump