PDA

View Full Version : Does Pop have The Huevos

Canibspur
04-06-2012, 01:36 PM
To employ a 10-12 man playoff rotation? Personally, I think for our guys to win it all this will be a necessity. The traditional 8-9 man playoff rotation won't get it done for more than one reason. The two main reasons I feel this way is this crazy logjam of games in the regular season, and the fact that what separates the Spurs from most these other playoff teams is our depth from top to bottom. 1 through 8 were good, really good, but an argument can be made that there are other teams with a stronger 1-8. However, 9-12, there is not another team out there that can compete with that depth. In fact its more like 9-12 is 8a, 8b, 8c, and 8d. Everyone of the guys that fall in that category can be very strong role players/6th man on a number of playoff teams.

So why not take advantage of this? History says you have to tighten the leash in the playoffs and really shorten your rotation but that doesnt mean you have to. Yes we know every guy wont be on in every game so keep throwing different looks at your opponent, figure out whos hot and let it ride.

I started wondering about this because of the game in Boston a couple nights ago. Very grateful to sweep the back to back but we know we were fortunate to escape Boston with another W. It was pretty much as close as you can get to playoff atmosphere in a regular season non-conference game. It was the 2nd night of a B2B in which Patty Mills (among others) got no burn after being absolutely on fire the previous night. The 1st half looked like we would just dominate but in the second when things got tight and the Spurs were throwing the ball everywhere except in the hoop Pop decided to not utilize our depth and that is worrisome. Boston was playing playoff defense and the guys in black just simply didn't respond. I am hoping this was classic CIA Pop and he just didnt want to show his "Playoff Hand" at this point of the season and maybe fatigue wasnt an issue in his mind since nobody cracked 26 minutes the night before but I wanted some other fan's take on this.

Were deeper than Kim K's booty hole and it will stink to not take advantage of this in the Playoffs.

Paranoid Pop
04-06-2012, 01:41 PM
The PO rotation was seen against Boston, Mills and Diaw are just there as insurance.

Solid D
04-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Absolutely. He already proved it in the 2007 Championship run. 10 players averaged double-digit minutes in the playoffs for the Spurs that year.

Canibspur
04-06-2012, 01:48 PM
So do you feel like that is the right play? Not just talking about Mills and Diaw either. Just doesnt seem like this will be the winning formula in the POs.

I hope your wrong man but you may very well be right.

Canibspur
04-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Absolutely. He already proved it in the 2007 Championship run. 10 players averaged double-digit minutes in the playoffs for the Spurs that year.

Didnt realize that and that is certainly refreshing news. So you think he was just rolling the dice for the win in Beantown?

Solid D
04-06-2012, 01:49 PM
In my view, Boris does not = insurance. He'll play important minutes in the playoffs.

ElNono
04-06-2012, 02:16 PM
From a mysa.com article after the Boston game:

Popovich understands the depth will make for some difficult decisions when he shortens his player rotations for the playoffs, as he always does.

“Rotations always get a little shorter at that time,” Popovich said, “but that’s just the way it is.”

Venti Quattro
04-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Rotations are always short in the playoffs. 7, 8, 9 players at most. It's the Playoffs and there is no fucking around.

Borosai
04-06-2012, 02:28 PM
My championship winning strategy, guaranteed to work to a certain degree, which specifically cannot be guaranteed: 10-man rotation, 48-minute fast break.

TJastal
04-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Rotations are always short in the playoffs. 7, 8, 9 players at most. It's the Playoffs and there is no fucking around.

This is only because 99.9% of the time a teams' #7-12 are scrub placeholders. However, if you happen to be blessed with 10 guys that are all starter quality (as the spurs currently have), it becomes advantageous to use them all.

thOOdee
04-06-2012, 02:37 PM
The PO rotation was seen against Boston, Mills and Diaw are just there as insurance.

god lets hope not, that means 30+ minutes for bonner to choke.

cheguevara
04-06-2012, 02:39 PM
matchups. it will all depend on matchups.

He will utilize the right tools for the right opponents. (excluding bonner, he'll play regardless)

Venti Quattro
04-06-2012, 02:40 PM
This is only because 99.9% of the time a teams' #7-12 are scrub placeholders. However, if you happen to be blessed with 10 guys that are all starter quality (as the spurs currently have), it becomes advantageous to use them all.

I can take 10, granted that the second five will fill up every position on the floor. But mostly coaches ride with a shorter lineup in the playoffs, making make-shift substitutions. You never know, one series you have 10 players, the next, you only roll with 8 or 9 because a couple players are turning into shit.

silverblk mystix
04-06-2012, 02:52 PM
This is the most important question IMO...

No, I don't believe Pop has the ballz...
If he does...this would give the Spurs a better shot...but Pop would have to go through nerve-wracking moments where the bench might put the lead in jeopardy or if the Spurs are behind...Pop might not want to risk subbing for the starters and just watch them get destroyed and/or exhausted...

Some players will also get a longer leash...Bonner, Blair,etc...
Some will be pulled the instant Pop sees anything worrisome...Tiago....

If Pop musters up the balls and rides with the 10-11 player rotation that has served the Spurs well...he might just see that the rotation does not have to be shortened just because it is the playoffs...

We'll see.

mudyez
04-06-2012, 03:12 PM
a big part of our roster are these very different kind of players for different matchups and situations.

bigs (aside from Timmy and Splitter):
Blair -> poor defense but nice offense
Bonner -> stretching the floor
Diaw -> ballmovement + good defense

wings (not counting Manu+Kawhi):
Jackson -> toughness
Neal -> shooting but poor defense
Green -> energy

Add TP and we are at 11 with Patty maybe getting a shot if others can't handle the backup PG minutes.

...so every one of them has its niche and if we play several rounds, they all will get their work to do. We just dont have this clear cut 8-9 players but like 5 clear cut guys and maybe even 7 surpreme roleplayers!

give these 7 players about 80-90 minutes and share the rest beweent the other 5!

gambit1990
04-06-2012, 03:16 PM
In my view, Boris does not = insurance. He'll play important minutes in the playoffs.

he should be starting instead of blair.

justinandimcool
04-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Is there really a point in stacking up with these quality guys and not using them in the playoffs? Is insurance really it? Especially with the matchup problems presented by the diverse teams in the west? Even with the speed advantage that Mills gives us? By the end of April, Mills and Diaw will know the playbook/system well enough to give at least 15 good minutes per game. if Pop handicaps us with thin rotations I honestly can't see how that isn't fucking idiotic or just plain stubborn, which should be fireable. And I've always defended Pop from the "fire Pop" crowd.

TJastal
04-06-2012, 03:44 PM
a big part of our roster are these very different kind of players for different matchups and situations.

bigs (aside from Timmy and Splitter):
Blair -> poor defense but nice offense
Bonner -> stretching the floor
Diaw -> ballmovement + good defense

wings (not counting Manu+Kawhi):
Jackson -> toughness
Neal -> shooting but poor defense
Green -> energy

Add TP and we are at 11 with Patty maybe getting a shot if others can't handle the backup PG minutes.

...so every one of them has its niche and if we play several rounds, they all will get their work to do. We just dont have this clear cut 8-9 players but like 5 clear cut guys and maybe even 7 surpreme roleplayers!

give these 7 players about 80-90 minutes and share the rest beweent the other 5!

Does it really matter having all these choices when Pop will ultimately play his favorites anyway, i.e the turds.

hater
04-06-2012, 03:53 PM
let's be brutally honest.

3-4 games into the playoffs, Blair will be benched just like last year, and thankfully Bonner too because we finally will have at least 1 more option off the bench in Diaw.

I don't see Patty seeing time either unless there is some injury.

so the rotation looks like. with plenty of small ball.
Duncan
Parker
Manu
Kawhi
Jackson
Neal
Green
Splitter
Diaw

TJastal
04-06-2012, 04:13 PM
let's be brutally honest.

3-4 games into the playoffs, Blair will be benched just like last year, and thankfully Bonner too because we finally will have at least 1 more option off the bench in Diaw.

I don't see Patty seeing time either unless there is some injury.

so the rotation looks like. with plenty of small ball.
Duncan
Parker
Manu
Kawhi
Jackson
Neal
Green
Splitter
Diaw

That would be so insanely awesome if both Blair and Bonner got booted out of the rotation. But hopefully it'll happen sooner than 3-4 games in this time.

Spur|n|Austin
04-06-2012, 04:26 PM

Diaw is not insurance, he will be in our playoff rotation.

TheSkeptic
04-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Diaw is not insurance, he will be in our playoff rotation.

I would think so. The thing for me is trying to figure out who's minutes he's taking.

Spur|n|Austin
04-06-2012, 04:40 PM
I would think so. The thing for me is trying to figure out who's minutes he's taking.

It's nuts to imagine that a couple of people are going to be left off the rotation at the rate that this team has been progressing. I know people have their specific opinions about both, Bonner and Blair but they compliment the team in their own positive ways. I'm excited to see what the mad scientist is going to do with the rotations.

freetiago
04-06-2012, 04:58 PM
blair should be waived/traded/benched
spurs fans wont believe it but blair has some value around the league
i know quite a few fans of other teams who all believe blair is a "beast"

bonner im fine with him getting 10 mins a game
see if his stroke is there, if its not he can be pulled
he should play in between the second and third quarters when the spurs ideally have a huge lead built like they always seem to do before choking it away
we all know bonner can only hit shots when spurs have the lead
dagger vs boston spurs had a 2 point lead

TheSkeptic
04-06-2012, 05:05 PM
It's nuts to imagine that a couple of people are going to be left off the rotation at the rate that this team has been progressing. I know people have their specific opinions about both, Bonner and Blair but they compliment the team in their own positive ways. I'm excited to see what the mad scientist is going to do with the rotations.

I don't even care about the minute distribution any more (well I do but I'll save my rage for the playoffs :lol). At this point I'd just like to see some consistency because I happen to think that it's easier for guys to get into a rhythm if they have a good idea of what's expected of them.

If Diaw is going to be in the playoff rotation I'd like to see him start getting minutes soon. I want him to take Blair's + some of Bonner's court time but I don't fully see that happening. But all things considered Pop's got a few more games to tinker if he wants...

TJastal
04-06-2012, 05:06 PM
I don't even care about the minute distribution any more (well I do but I'll save my rage for the playoffs :lol). At this point I'd just like to see some consistency because I happen to think that it's easier for guys to get into a rhythm if they have a good idea of what's expected of them.

If Diaw is going to be in the playoff rotation I'd like to see him start getting minutes soon. I want him to take Blair's + some of Bonner's court time but I don't fully see that happening. But all things considered Pop's got a few more games to tinker if he wants...

And tinker he will.

maverick1948
04-06-2012, 05:16 PM
If this was a regular playoff season, I would agree with shorten the rotation. But we are going to have back to backs in the playoffs. If we continue to play 10 -12 players per game, we will gain a valuable advantage over our opponents. We may see as many as 2 b2b in a 7 game series. Our bench is a big part of why we are able to win b2b's now. Sure it will be a tougher road in the playoffs but look at some of the teams who are already using 8 man rotations just to make the playoffs. Their team is going to wore out before the playoffs start and we will run them in the ground. As for the Boston game, I dont think it was as much their D as it was the ease the Spurs run over them in the 1st half, that led to the lousy 2nd half we had.

Spur|n|Austin
04-06-2012, 05:40 PM

Agreed!

Canibspur
04-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Perfect example tonight of why we need to utilize the entire roster. Everyone of these guys can bring something very worthy on any given night. Please Pop, don't shorten the playoff rotation. I know the studs will get bigger minutes and that's fine but you got to use all your weapons.

TDMVPDPOY
04-06-2012, 10:27 PM
the 2nd unit still needs a little bit of tweaking man, these fkn tools play well when they pass the ball alot, but play like shit when players are chasing after individual stats.....hence i hate watchin the 2nd unit trying to protect a large lead, they tend to do stupid shit

ezau
04-07-2012, 12:32 AM
I can take 10, granted that the second five will fill up every position on the floor. But mostly coaches ride with a shorter lineup in the playoffs, making make-shift substitutions. You never know, one series you have 10 players, the next, you only roll with 8 or 9 because a couple players are turning into shit.

I hope Mike Brown knows that or else you guys are going to get fucked so badl in the arse:lol:lol

Canibspur
04-07-2012, 09:03 AM
the 2nd unit still needs a little bit of tweaking man, these fkn tools play well when they pass the ball alot, but play like shit when players are chasing after individual stats.....hence i hate watchin the 2nd unit trying to protect a large lead, they tend to do stupid shit

Those are valid concerns bro. But I wasnt saying this second unit should get equal or greater minutes than the core guys. Tonight they got all that burn because of the domination and yes they did get the lead trimmed down to like 16 or so but, (a) That is the way to improve these guys as a unit defensively and (b) They dont need 20 minutes a piece in the POs.
Im just saying utilize them, flex your depth chart muscles, because again, that is what separates the Spurs from the other contenders this year.

100%duncan
04-07-2012, 11:35 AM
I think we can go 10 deep in the playoff

benefactor
04-07-2012, 11:38 AM
I think we can go 10 deep in the playoff
Easily...depending on the team and the matchups.

100%duncan
04-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Easily...depending on the team and the matchups.

Yes. Glad there's no such thing as a PO roster anymore.

hooperflash
04-07-2012, 12:28 PM
10 man rotation is fine. Splitter/Duncan/Leonard/Jackson/TP/Manu/Diaw/Mills/Bonner/Green.

No Blair.

Yezzir! :flag: Wait, what about Neal? :wow

Vito Corleone
04-07-2012, 09:46 PM
The Spurs have 4 big men that should get minutes and a 5th that will get some minutes. Tim Blair and Splitter are guaranteed some mintues so it Bonner, The 5th is Batum and of course he is better than #3 and 4 and thus will steal some minutes.

You know Leonard and SJax are going to get good minutes. Same can be said of Parker Manu and Green. That leaves Miller, Neal, and Anderson to split the other minutes.

Actually I feel pretty confident in a 10 man rotation with #11 being the guy playing the best between the last 3 I mentioned.

Mel_13
04-07-2012, 09:49 PM
The Spurs have 4 big men that should get minutes and a 5th that will get some minutes. Tim Blair and Splitter are guaranteed some mintues so it Bonner, The 5th is Batum and of course he is better than #3 and 4 and thus will steal some minutes.

You know Leonard and SJax are going to get good minutes. Same can be said of Parker Manu and Green. That leaves Miller, Neal, and Anderson to split the other minutes.

Actually I feel pretty confident in a 10 man rotation with #11 being the guy playing the best between the last 3 I mentioned.

Wrong Frenchman.

Vito Corleone
04-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Wrong Frenchman.

Lol, I was just talking about Batum with my father when I posted that. Of course I meant Diaw.

Still love Batum and wish we had drafted him, but we probably would not have made the move we did to get Leonard.