PDA

View Full Version : TIMVP's grades

maverick1948
04-06-2012, 05:45 PM
We all respect the time and energy that Timvp puts into the grades for each game. Most everyone agrees to the grade he post for the players and Pop. One thing that should be noted are the following grades for a player since the b2b2b:

Matt Bonner A
After missing a game due to back spasms, Matt Bonner returned with a vengeance. It wasn't his best game of the season but it very well could have been Bonner's most well-rounded game. On defense, he defended Nowtizki well a couple times. He made swift rotations and competed on the defensive backboard. Offensively, Bonner knocked down his open threes and had a season-high five assists. He made a lot of smart reads without wasting too much time and was overall just a lot sharper than he had been as of late.

Matt Bonner C+
Against bad teams, the Spurs rely on Matt Bonner to find open spaces to make the opposition pay for sagging into the paint. This game, Bonner just wasn't able to do that. He wasn't moving crisply (to be fair, it appeared as if his back was bothering him) and he was slow to pop to open spots after setting picks. As a result, Bonner was basically a non-factor on the offensive end. Defensively, I thought he was mostly good. He was a tad slow to rotate at times but he was physical in the paint and pulled down a few contested boards.

Matt Bonner A-
Doug Collins is one of the best coaches in the NBA but he did the Spurs a big favor by putting 7-foot-1 Spencer Hawes on Matt Bonner. Not only did Bonner pull Hawes out of the paint, he was able to use his mobility advantage to find open looks. Defensively, Bonner was very good against their pick-and-roll sets and was sturdy in the paint. Overall, I thought Bonner played a very clean game and did a much better job of sticking to his strengths than we've seen recently.

Matt Bonner B
Matt Bonner has never been much of an offensive rebounder but tonight he did some of his best work of the season on the offensive glass. And usually I'm not a fan of him trying to create plays off the dribble, but his success in that area was undeniable. Bonner's only real flaw offensively was the fact that he was 0-for-3 from the field in the fourth quarter. Defensively, there were some instances where he could have been more physical but overall he did a slightly better than average job.

Matt Bonner B
There's not much to complain about tonight regarding Matt Bonner's play. On defense, while he did give up a few open jumpers, Bonner had a few really good plays on the post and even a couple in transition. His rebounding on the defensive end was also a plus. Offensively, while he missed his treys, he took high-quality shots and didn't hesitate when it came to either shooting or passing. Bonner's moves off the dribble were also working for him tonight.

Matt Bonner B-
Apparently, Matt Bonner played ten minutes tonight. I don't remember him doing much of anything. If I commented further on him, I'd just be making something up -- so I'll give Bonner a B- and leave it at that.

Matt Bonner A-
Give the man some credit. Matt Bonner gets criticized for not rebounding and not hitting shots in tight ballgames. Tonight, he rebounded the ball extremely well and hit what ended up being the game-winner from 16-feet with 46 seconds remaining. His hoop at the shot clock buzzer put the Spurs up by four points and the Celtics would only score again on a Ray Allen three-pointer. In addition to his work on the defensive glass, Bonner prevailed on the defensive end even though the Celtics made it a point to attack him. Offensively, he did well. He got the yips a bit in the second half -- but so did just about everyone else.

Of the 8 games, Bonner played in 7, in one only 10 minutes. Back spasms held him out of a game a couple of weeks ago and that may be why he missed one and sat early in the other.

3 A's, 3 B's and a C+, yet we are wanting to get rid of him and replace him with someone who has played 6 games scored 18 pts and gather in 19 reb during 115 mins of playing time.

Stop hating on anyone on the Spurs and look at what they have done this season. Maybe next I will do Blair, and show what he brings to the table for the Spurs.

Paranoid Pop
04-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Are you a relative of Bonbon?

crc21209
04-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Matt Bonner is not worthy of his own grade thread....

DMC
04-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Matty is graded on a curve. Look that up.

TJastal
04-06-2012, 05:51 PM
We all respect the time and energy that Timvp puts into the grades for each game. Most everyone agrees to the grade he post for the players and Pop. One thing that should be noted are the following grades for a player since the b2b2b:

Matt Bonner A
After missing a game due to back spasms, Matt Bonner returned with a vengeance. It wasn't his best game of the season but it very well could have been Bonner's most well-rounded game. On defense, he defended Nowtizki well a couple times. He made swift rotations and competed on the defensive backboard. Offensively, Bonner knocked down his open threes and had a season-high five assists. He made a lot of smart reads without wasting too much time and was overall just a lot sharper than he had been as of late.

Matt Bonner C+
Against bad teams, the Spurs rely on Matt Bonner to find open spaces to make the opposition pay for sagging into the paint. This game, Bonner just wasn't able to do that. He wasn't moving crisply (to be fair, it appeared as if his back was bothering him) and he was slow to pop to open spots after setting picks. As a result, Bonner was basically a non-factor on the offensive end. Defensively, I thought he was mostly good. He was a tad slow to rotate at times but he was physical in the paint and pulled down a few contested boards.

Matt Bonner A-
Doug Collins is one of the best coaches in the NBA but he did the Spurs a big favor by putting 7-foot-1 Spencer Hawes on Matt Bonner. Not only did Bonner pull Hawes out of the paint, he was able to use his mobility advantage to find open looks. Defensively, Bonner was very good against their pick-and-roll sets and was sturdy in the paint. Overall, I thought Bonner played a very clean game and did a much better job of sticking to his strengths than we've seen recently.

Matt Bonner B
Matt Bonner has never been much of an offensive rebounder but tonight he did some of his best work of the season on the offensive glass. And usually I'm not a fan of him trying to create plays off the dribble, but his success in that area was undeniable. Bonner's only real flaw offensively was the fact that he was 0-for-3 from the field in the fourth quarter. Defensively, there were some instances where he could have been more physical but overall he did a slightly better than average job.

Matt Bonner B
There's not much to complain about tonight regarding Matt Bonner's play. On defense, while he did give up a few open jumpers, Bonner had a few really good plays on the post and even a couple in transition. His rebounding on the defensive end was also a plus. Offensively, while he missed his treys, he took high-quality shots and didn't hesitate when it came to either shooting or passing. Bonner's moves off the dribble were also working for him tonight.

Matt Bonner B-
Apparently, Matt Bonner played ten minutes tonight. I don't remember him doing much of anything. If I commented further on him, I'd just be making something up -- so I'll give Bonner a B- and leave it at that.

Matt Bonner A-
Give the man some credit. Matt Bonner gets criticized for not rebounding and not hitting shots in tight ballgames. Tonight, he rebounded the ball extremely well and hit what ended up being the game-winner from 16-feet with 46 seconds remaining. His hoop at the shot clock buzzer put the Spurs up by four points and the Celtics would only score again on a Ray Allen three-pointer. In addition to his work on the defensive glass, Bonner prevailed on the defensive end even though the Celtics made it a point to attack him. Offensively, he did well. He got the yips a bit in the second half -- but so did just about everyone else.

Of the 8 games, Bonner played in 7, in one only 10 minutes. Back spasms held him out of a game a couple of weeks ago and that may be why he missed one and sat early in the other.

3 A's, 3 B's and a C+, yet we are wanting to get rid of him and replace him with someone who has played 6 games scored 18 pts and gather in 19 reb during 115 mins of playing time.

Stop hating on anyone on the Spurs and look at what they have done this season. Maybe next I will do Blair, and show what he brings to the table for the Spurs.

If only Bonner could duplicate this 7 game stretch in a playoff setting we would have no problem seeing Matty in the rotation.

Splits
04-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Every player gets higher grades when you don't lose.

mkurts
04-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Matt Bonner is the Spurs best clutch player and should be the starting PF as he spreads the floor very effectively and is a great post defender.

maverick1948
04-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Are you a relative of Bonbon?
No

Matty is graded on a curve. Look that up.

Whose curve and where do I find it?

Every player gets higher grades when you don't lose.

No that is not true Even Timvp has given D's to players during wins.

Get you act together guys. You have NO response to the grades Timvp gives.

EricD
04-06-2012, 05:57 PM
http://fresnobeach.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/1bonner.jpg, tbh.

jeebus
04-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Matt Boner deserves an F each time he suits up.

TheSkeptic
04-06-2012, 06:00 PM

:lol I wouldn't go that far.

maverick1948
04-06-2012, 06:05 PM

Are you saying Timvp is crazy for giving Bonner these grades? LOL Come on say it or back off.

TDomination
04-06-2012, 06:13 PM
If only Bonner could duplicate this 7 game stretch in a playoff setting we would have no problem seeing Matty in the rotation.

THIS x1000

I will say this for Bonner, he hit some clutch shots last year, Game 1 vs the Grizzlies and played good D at the end getting a steal. If we actually play smart D and don't leave Battier open for that 3, we win and Bonner is clutch and we probably win that series and Manu gets healthier for the later rounds and who knows what happens.

But that didn't happen and that clutch shot is tucked away as another Bonner failure.

Sec24Row7
04-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Matt Bonner is graded based on the potential contribution of MATT BONNER...

If Matt Bonner was graded on Tony's potential contribution... he would get an F every game.

People want to get rid of MATT BONNER'S potential contribution and replace it with the BIGGER potential contribution of someone ELSE.

TheSkeptic
04-06-2012, 06:16 PM
THIS x1000

I will say this for Bonner, he hit some clutch shots last year, Game 1 vs the Grizzlies and played good D at the end getting a steal. If we actually play smart D and don't leave Battier open for that 3, we win and Bonner is clutch and we probably win that series and Manu gets healthier for the later rounds and who knows what happens.

But that didn't happen and that clutch shot is tucked away as another Bonner failure.

I'm not even mad at Bonner any more to be honest. He does his job and plays within his limitations. He's picked up his defense this year and generally made his shots.

I think what it is for me is that he's overplayed but I can't really get upset at him for that either because his minutes probably aren't his fault.

Muser
04-06-2012, 06:19 PM

Pretty much.

jeebus
04-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Are you saying Timvp is crazy for giving Bonner these grades? LOL Come on say it or back off.

He does it to please the masses. He knows Bonner is done for the season and won't do anything in the playoffs.

Dex
04-06-2012, 06:21 PM
If Bonner can bottle his current play and uncork it in the playoffs, I'll be more than happy to eat crow. The Spurs are extremely difficult to beat when Bonner is playing well.

That being said....I'm not holding my breath.

timvp
04-06-2012, 06:21 PM

TJastal with the home run. If Bonner plays this well during the playoffs, everything else will be forgiven.

Most Spurs fans don't like him due to fear of a pending meltdown in the playoffs. If Bonner didn't have a history of playing worse in the playoffs, he'd be one of the most popular players on the team, tbh.

angelbelow
04-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Grades are based on the expectation of the player.

When Matt Bonner hits his open 3s, provides good defense, rebounds when he can, doesn't turn the ball over etcetc - He easily deserves A-/A/A+. When he fails to live up to his role he deserves the C- or lower.

By the way, if you're going to start a thread like this then use your words and reference Timvp's grades on the side. Copying and pasting his grades and then trying to defend someone elses opinion is pretty silly.

therealtruth
04-06-2012, 06:34 PM
THIS x1000

But why did we leave Battier open? We were so afraid of Bonner getting abused by Gasol/Randolph.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-06-2012, 06:48 PM
http://fresnobeach.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/1bonner.jpg, tbh.

Crofl, that's awesome

TDMVPDPOY
04-06-2012, 06:50 PM
fck all you haters

bonner spreads the floor like that dark spread he puts in ur sandwhiches, eat it bitches, how me ass taste

u know he doesnt give a shit about u haters, look at his face everytime he has a shit game, his immune to pops bullshit rants and just laughs in his face.....

Spurs7794
04-06-2012, 06:50 PM
But why did we leave Battier open? We were so afraid of Bonner getting abused by Gasol/Randolph.

Bullshit. Bonner deserves criticism alot but saying its Bonner's fault for an epically moronic decision by Tony Parker is ridiculous.

$pursDynasty
04-06-2012, 06:59 PM
We all respect the time and energy that Timvp puts into the grades for each game. Most everyone agrees to the grade he post for the players and Pop.
Please do put up the Blair numbers as well. I love SpursTalk but the masses seem to be too hard on Bonner and Blair and waaaaaay to forgiving and uplifting of Splitter. While sometimes I feel TimVP might even cut Tiago a little too much slack, we all have our favorites and his grades after each game are one of my favorite things about this site! :flag:

Dingle Barry
04-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Matt Bonner is graded based on the potential contribution of MATT BONNER...

If Matt Bonner was graded on Tony's potential contribution... he would get an F every game.

People want to get rid of MATT BONNER'S potential contribution and replace it with the BIGGER potential contribution of someone ELSE.
Check out the big brain on Brad.

pgardn
04-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Grades are based on the expectation of the player.

By the way, if you're going to start a thread like this then use your words and reference Timvp's grades on the side. Copying and pasting his grades and then trying to defend someone elses opinion is pretty silly.

Im gonna take a guess that the OP likes Bonner and it is his opinion that Bonner has been playing well. So he uses grades from someone most people on this site appreciate as being fair and balanced (but not in a FOX way). Imo the pasting was quite visibly pleasing to the eye. Very unlike the snippet of the barely clad female spontaneously flopping on the bed covers. I also do not appreciate the blonde with the bouncing orbs as it is very distracting and takes my mind elsewhere. damn I can ramble...

It also seems fairly obvious the grades are "curved" as they rely quite a bit not only the position, but the perceived role the player has on the team as well as perceived capabilities which have already been gathered from past performances. It should be much tougher to grade Diaw and Mills. (Last paragraph not intended for the quoted)

cheguevara
04-06-2012, 07:06 PM

Matt Bonner A

Matt Bonner C+

Matt Bonner A-

Matt Bonner B

Matt Bonner B

Matt Bonner B-

Matt Bonner A-

:lmao

timvp is great but his grades remind me of my 5th grade art teacher

Spurtacus
04-06-2012, 08:21 PM
He's played well this season. But the seed of doubt is planted in many minds. Will he show up in the playoffs when Pop gives him more minutes then any other big not named Duncan?

JsnSA
04-06-2012, 08:51 PM
It's all about the playoffs with Bonner...and his habit of not showing up for them. His "good grades" for the regular season are not that surprising. They only make his yearly playoff choke job that much more disappointing.