PDA

View Full Version : My concerns come playoffs

dylankerouac
04-06-2012, 08:38 PM
I love Tim but it seems like he only shoots jumpers when someone gives him enough space. This space will tighten in the playoffs : (. His current ability to create his own shot also worries me, I hope someone schools me in this thread and states that Tim can still create his own shot.

Now if Tim and Tiago could play some high/low, well we saw last year this is effective in the playoffs. Memphis anyone?

Even if Tim doesn't create his own shot and only takes jumpers when he's dared to shoot this team has showed that it does not need Tim to be the beast that he once was. However, his minutes will probably increase in the playoffs so just based on this, well he should be expected to produce at the same rate he does now. But if he is shut down and his minutes increase well this doesn't help the team at all.

My fear is that the playoffs will limit some of his effectiveness and I wonder who will step it up in the low block. Tiago still shows some weak moves down there. Really weak. If he works on this during the offseason he will be a beast, but this is a topic for another thread.

Thanks for stopping by.

pgardn
04-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Well based on this game he is Iceman.

Are you watching?

Obstructed_View
04-06-2012, 08:51 PM
The whole point is to only shoot jumpers when given enough space. The second they close out he goes to the rim and scores or draws a foul. Welcome to Tim Duncan basketball; what took you so long?

Russ
04-06-2012, 09:00 PM
The Spurs don't need Tim Duncan to score in order to win.

If he at least occupies some defender (and everyone else is contributing), they'll be fine

dylankerouac
04-07-2012, 12:16 AM

Are you watching?

I saw the first half, they scored an insane amount of points and If he had close to his 19 points during that half he did so quietly, as normal. I figured Pop would end up giving him the 4th off and I needed to head to HEB. I did notice Kawhis monster dunk. Actually, right when I made the post Duncan drove to the basket after faking a mid-range shot which was very nice and almost made me delete the post altogether.

Edit, so yeah I still need to watch the second half.

dylankerouac
04-07-2012, 12:22 AM

Are you watching?

The whole point is to only shoot jumpers when given enough space. The second they close out he goes to the rim and scores or draws a foul. Welcome to Tim Duncan basketball; what took you so long?

That's my point, he will likely not have that space during the playoffs. If the other team does their homework they will play him tight and he will have to work harder for his points. I remember a point in the Memphis series where, I guess he was working so hard against Memphis he basically stumbled over himself on the way to the basket. I am pretty sure he came back ontheteamsnext possession and slammed it down. Still, that series made him work harder than he should have because he had no help andwe may be running into that same scenario, especially if we fall to the bad end of the matchup bracket.

TheSkeptic
04-07-2012, 12:25 AM
That's my point, he will likely not have that space during the playoffs. If the other team does their homework they will play him tight and he will have to work harder for his points. I remember a point in the Memphis series where, I guess he was working so hard against Memphis he basically stumbled over himself on the way to the basket. I am pretty sure he came back ontheteamsnext possession and slammed it down. Still, that series made him work harder than he should have because he had no help andwe may be running into that same scenario, especially if we fall to the bad end of the matchup bracket.

I would agree with this and I suspect that this will come into play sooner or later.

Got any solutions in mind though?

dylankerouac
04-07-2012, 12:31 AM
The Spurs don't need Tim Duncan to score in order to win.

If he at least occupies some defender (and everyone else is contributing), they'll be fine

I hope so but if everyone is played tighter during the playoffs assists for the team will likely decrease. There is a reason why teams with great big men generally win championships and teams with great point guards historically haven't.

Though now he has some help with Splitter and Diaw and even Jackson brings a post game and he wil likely get playing time. Well, ok Splitter is getting some minutes but many expect Diaw to be a backup option during playoffs. I think Bonner has shown some great improvement and he is even driving to the paint every now and then but he still looks generally surprised when the ball is anywhere near him. Anyway, I do hope that I am wrong.

TJastal
04-07-2012, 12:31 AM

Tbh I'm more concerned about Pop establishing a steady & effective rotation by playoff time than whether or not Tim Duncan will get open jumpers or not.

TheSkeptic
04-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Tbh I'm more concerned about Pop establishing a steady & effective rotation by playoff time than whether or not Tim Duncan will get open jumpers or not.

I have a feeling that he'll be doing that soon and once he does we'll have a better picture of what we can expect heading in terms of results.

Although the West is definitely there for the taking, I'm not sold on this team's ability to beat a team like Miami or Chicago in 7 as constructed. The rotation Pop uses will determine whether or not the Spurs have a legitimate chance at taking it all imo.

I have to disagree on the question of Duncan's open jumpers, however. Assuming that the big rotation is going to look something like Duncan/Blair/Bonner/Diaw, we'll need Tim taking and making as many jumpers as possible.

freetiago
04-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Duncan can spread the floor
if they dont respect him he can hit it at what seems like a 60% rate by the eye test
thats a respectable number for a bigmen, even for most guards
if they do respect him, he can put it on the floor and go to the basket or find a cutting player/tiago underneath
tbh id rather have duncan only shooting jump shots and posting up if its a mismatch, a bad/dumb defender, or if hes just feeling it
all duncans best games of the season scoring wise he pretty much didnt post up
28 points at denver last year
28 vs hornets this year of the top of my head

wouldnt be opposed to him/tiago/parker getting someone like andrew bynum in foul trouble then posting up whatever d-leaguer lakers have left

dylankerouac
04-07-2012, 12:49 AM
I would agree with this and I suspect that this will come into play sooner or later.

Got any solutions in mind though?

Well since this team focuses on team ball I would say having Diaw in for some passes would be good. Though teams may just dare him to shoot which probably isn't a bad strategy for them to make.

SJax on the low block would be good (and healready does this if he has a mismatch) and Kawhi doing this may be good but I don't remember Kawhi doing this much during the season.

Well even if Tiago still comes with the weak sauce, well hey he still happens to make a good portion of those shots. But will the other teams physical play hinder him, he doesn't seem to respond to physicality well.

If Blair gets shutdown the first two games then Pop may bench him and that may open it up for the other bigs. Hopefully the team would beagle to win these games anyway.

So it's not all doom and gloom as long as everyone plays their parts. Oh and the team needs to stop these slow soft passes that become turnovers. Playoff teams will feast on these mistakes.

dylankerouac
04-07-2012, 12:57 AM
wouldnt be opposed to him/tiago/parker getting someone like andrew bynum in foul trouble then posting up whatever d-leaguer lakers have left

Hmmm, I don't remember the Spurs getting many players in foul trouble this season. I can't think of one player that has fouled out against the Spurs,if one did foul out was it a PF or C?

TheSkeptic
04-07-2012, 01:02 AM
Well since this team focuses on team ball I would say having Diaw in for some passes would be good. Though teams may just dare him to shoot which probably isn't a bad strategy for them to make.

SJax on the low block would be good (and healready does this if he has a mismatch) and Kawhi doing this may be good but I don't remember Kawhi doing this much during the season.

Well even if Tiago still comes with the weak sauce, well hey he still happens to make a good portion of those shots. But will the other teams physical play hinder him, he doesn't seem to respond to physicality well.

If Blair gets shutdown the first two games then Pop may bench him and that may open it up for the other bigs. Hopefully the team would beagle to win these games anyway.

So it's not all doom and gloom as long as everyone plays their parts. Oh and the team needs to stop these slow soft passes that become turnovers. Playoff teams will feast on these mistakes.

I'm lazy/not familiar with Diaw's shooting percentages. He strikes me as passive more than as a bad shooter in my opinion. Teams seem to know that he's capable of making a few...

Jax might be good for the odd post-up but cutting and slashing seems to be more Kawhi's game. I think between that and his improved jumpshot he's got some nice tools to work with.

It's a confidence thing with Tiago. When he's feeling good he doesn't seem to mind physicality as much and typically will produce better on both ends. When he's not sure of himself/unassertive it's the opposite.

Blair getting shutdown is not a question of "if" so much as "when". Other than maybe OKC I don't think there's very many teams that he'd be an asset against as a starter without Tim covering for him. Against someone like Houston the Spurs should be able to take a series. With teams like the Lakers or Memphis, leaving him in too long can be costly. He should probably be out of the rotation and used as a situational big.

Definitely. Like every year, it'll come down to turnovers and proper execution on both needs.

jestersmash
04-07-2012, 01:07 AM
Of course NASF has concerns about the playoffs immediately following a 25 point blowout win while the Spurs are on a 10 game winning streak.

Of course.

But yeah I mean our offense is heavily reliant on Duncan scoring efficiently in the low block, and when that space "tightens up" as teams pack the paint, it's not as though we can punish opposing teams from 3 (after all, we're the worst 3 point shooting team in the league). I totally understand your concerns.

:rolleyes

Obstructed_View
04-07-2012, 01:32 AM

I think if you're going to worry about something, you should worry that Pop won't play Duncan enough minutes in the playoffs.

elemento
04-07-2012, 01:37 AM
Is this your concern ?

Man I am much more worried about Blair trying to guard Z-Bo, Dirk, Gasol or Scola

Cow Eye
04-07-2012, 01:41 AM
My concern is that it seems we are incapable of holding a damn team under 100, even a shit team...

Man In Black
04-07-2012, 01:53 AM
Given that this team is loads different than the team that lost to MEM last playoffs, its a comparison that doesn't hold water.
1-A healthy Manu
2-Multiple options at every position with players who know the system.
3-MVP Parker
4-Tim's fundamental brilliance
5-The drive for 5 aka The Even year title aka The *Repeat

Cow Eye
04-07-2012, 01:58 AM
I just miss how the Spurs used to be known as a defensive juggernaut.

TheSkeptic
04-07-2012, 02:00 AM
I just miss how the Spurs used to be known as a defensive juggernaut.

I miss it too but I don't think it's realistic. If they can get their defense up to top 8 or so they'll have as good a shot as any in my opinion this year.

PublicOption
04-07-2012, 02:00 AM
My only concern will be the refs. No team even scares me anymore. And Derrick Rose better be healthy or it will be a sweep.

Dr Cox
04-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Duncan preforming in the playoffs is one thing that I do not worry about, he will find a way to alter his game to help the team win.