PDA

View Full Version : Spurs clinch playoffs tonight, too

GSH
04-06-2012, 10:31 PM
It was just a matter of time, but the Spurs clinched yet another playoff berth tonight. Quite a night. The way the pieces keep clicking into place, getting that 50 win season isn't looking too far-fetched anymore either. Or another LOB Trophy.

Sa_Spursfan20
04-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Don't the Rockets need to lose tonight for the Spurs to clinch? Either way, it'll happen either tonight or in another day or so.

T Park
04-06-2012, 10:34 PM
If Phoenix loses to denver it's clinched

GSH
04-06-2012, 10:35 PM
If Phoenix loses to denver it's clinched

Phoenix lost to Denver. It's clinched.

Sa_Spursfan20
04-06-2012, 10:41 PM
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info guys. :flag:

Hoops Czar
04-06-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm pretty sure Houston has to lose tonight in order for the Spurs to clinch.

Mel_13
04-06-2012, 10:52 PM
It's just a formality, but I don't believe the Spurs have clinched yet. I know Renner was saying a Phoenix loss did it, but I don't think he was right.

Both Phoenix and Utah have 27 losses. They play each other one more time, so the loser of that game will have 28 losses and cannot finish with more than 38 wins. That team cannot catch the Spurs since the Spurs have 39 wins.

The winner of that game can win all their remaining games and finish with 39 wins. In the event that the Spurs lost all their remaining games, both teams would have 39 wins, the season series would be tied, and the other team would have the better conference record.

Both NBA.com and ESPN.com have updated their standings to reflect the Phoenix loss and neither one shows the Spurs as having clinched a playoff spot.

I could be wrong, but I believe we need one more win

Spurtacus
04-06-2012, 10:54 PM
The NBA standings do not have an official clinch as of right now. But Rockets are down at halftime.

Hoops Czar
04-06-2012, 10:56 PM
The NBA standings do not have an official clinch as of right now. But Rockets are down at halftime.

They're waiting on a Rockets loss.

Mel_13
04-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Rockets loss will do it.

Rockets have games remaining with both Phoenix and Utah. As far as I can tell, there's no combination of results of those games between the three teams that won't eliminate two of them with respect to the Spurs. Assuming a Rocket loss to the Lakers.

Still rather see the Lakers lose...

GSH
04-06-2012, 11:19 PM
It's just a formality, but I don't believe the Spurs have clinched yet. I know Renner was saying a Phoenix loss did it, but I don't think he was right.

Both Phoenix and Utah have 27 losses. They play each other one more time, so the loser of that game will have 28 losses and cannot finish with more than 38 wins. That team cannot catch the Spurs since the Spurs have 39 wins.

The winner of that game can win all their remaining games and finish with 39 wins. In the event that the Spurs lost all their remaining games, both teams would have 39 wins, the season series would be tied, and the other team would have the better conference record.

Both NBA.com and ESPN.com have updated their standings to reflect the Phoenix loss and neither one shows the Spurs as having clinched a playoff spot.

I could be wrong, but I believe we need one more win

Hmmm... could be. Houston and Denver play each other twice. I thought that made sure that all 3 of those teams (Hou, Den, Phx) can't make it.

Mel_13
04-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Hmmm... could be. Houston and Denver play each other twice. I thought that made sure that all 3 of those teams (Hou, Den, Phx) can't make it.

Denver only has 25 losses and can still win 41. The Spurs hold the tiebreaker, so their magic number with respect to Denver is 2.

The magic numbers with respect to Phoenix and Utah are both at 1. If Houston loses tonight, the magic number with respect to Houston also goes down to one. (Spurs hold the tiebreaker over Houston)

Since Houston, Phoenix, and Utah all play one another once more, at least two of them would be eliminated with respect to the Spurs. That is, if Houston loses to the Lakers.

Clear as mud.

vander
04-06-2012, 11:53 PM
well so much for tank 2012...

Solid D
04-07-2012, 12:14 AM
Spurs clinch playoffs tonight, too

Kobe Bryant - "You're welcome"

GSH
04-07-2012, 12:14 AM
Denver only has 25 losses and can still win 41. The Spurs hold the tiebreaker, so their magic number with respect to Denver is 2.

The magic numbers with respect to Phoenix and Utah are both at 1. If Houston loses tonight, the magic number with respect to Houston also goes down to one. (Spurs hold the tiebreaker over Houston)

Since Houston, Phoenix, and Utah all play one another once more, at least two of them would be eliminated with respect to the Spurs. That is, if Houston loses to the Lakers.

Clear as mud.

Ah... I see it. I was thinking that any loss by Hou clinched for the Spurs. And since they have games against both Phx and Uta, they would have to either lose one of those, or knock the other two out.

But I see it now. Hou needs a loss that doesn't help one of the others. It's twisted, but there's still a scenario that would put the Spurs out.

Kobe Bryant - "You're welcome"

Heh... almost. One more reason not to like Kobe.

Mel_13
04-07-2012, 09:39 PM
With the Dallas loss to Memphis tonight, the Spurs have now clinched a spot in the 2012 playoffs.

:flag:

benefactor
04-07-2012, 11:01 PM
With the Dallas loss to Memphis tonight, the Spurs have now clinched a spot in the 2012 playoffs.

Sa_Spursfan20
04-08-2012, 12:12 AM
That's what I'm talking about! :flag:

GSH
04-08-2012, 12:50 AM

Next time I'll get my info from an authoritative source like you. :lol

Spur|n|Austin
04-08-2012, 01:00 AM
well so much for tank 2012...

:lol does anyone have the time, effort, and skill to look up every poster who talked about "blowing up" the team, or "tanking" this season?

GSH
04-08-2012, 01:06 AM
:lol does anyone have the time, effort, and skill to look up every poster who talked about "blowing up" the team, or "tanking" this season?

I'll just admit to it, and take my ass-whipping now, if that's more convenient.

Just for the record, there's probably a strong correlation between the list you asked for, and the list of people who thought that there would never be a way of getting out from under Richard Jefferson's contract early.

jmanu20
04-08-2012, 02:10 AM
Now that a playoff berth has officially been clinched, I even more want the Spurs to tank the Jazz games and put the Mavs in further danger of missing the playoffs.