PDA

View Full Version : Seedings-what to do w/ the remaining games

100%duncan
04-07-2012, 02:25 AM
Seedings will be a key if we want to win it all,its all about having your best matchups and for the other giants to fight and eliminate each other, in short, an easy way to the big stage. Currently, the spurs sit in 1,okc 2 ,la 3,lac 4,mem 5 (pls cortect me if im wrong) and utah and suns belonging in the" fight for 8 "teams in the west. Now our dream would be to have the weakest team possible in the first and clips in the 2nd round with la and okc having a 7 game dogfight to face us in the WCF. If you were Pop what will you do with the two utah games considering they can make it to the 8th spot and is a favorable matchup for us(imo)?will you win those two games and maybe the suns finds a way to be the 8th seed which is also favorable for us and we can finally avenge the skunker. We also have 3 games in the next 2 weeks against LA, now we would love to help La clinch the 2/3 spot with okc because of their WCSF dogfight. The question is will we tank the 2 or 1 game/s we have against them for their seedings or we will win the 3 games against them (which imo is unlikely to happen) to clinch our 1 seed and let their play dictate their seeding come playoff time? :lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt2:

TJastal
04-07-2012, 02:40 AM
Right now the most likely matchup to remain as is happens to be in the middle of the pack, clippers and memphis. The rest of the teams are either huddled fairly close at the top or near the bottom and a crapshoot. Obviously, this can still change but if it didn't I would predict the grizz advance.

Assuming the spurs capture #1 and can get to the 2nd round a rematch of last year with the grizz would be awaiting them.

TheSkeptic
04-07-2012, 02:46 AM
Right now the most likely matchup to remain as is happens to be in the middle of the pack, clippers and memphis. The rest of the teams are either huddled fairly close at the top or near the bottom and a crapshoot. Obviously, this can still change but if it didn't I would predict the grizz advance.

Assuming the spurs capture #1 and can get to the 2nd round a rematch of last year with the grizz would be awaiting them.

Hmm... I'm not sure that's such a good idea. That team is also playing some good ball. If this is the big rotation Pop wants to use, then I'd rather not play the Grizzlies if it can be helped.

TJastal
04-07-2012, 02:56 AM
Hmm... I'm not sure that's such a good idea. That team is also playing some good ball. If this is the big rotation Pop wants to use, then I'd rather not play the Grizzlies if it can be helped.

Well, the lakers appear to be the next most likely team to remain where they are (at #3) so if the spurs tanked to get #2 they would most likely face the lakers in the 2nd round assuming they get past their 1st round opponent.

Pick your poison. I'd rather face the lakers tbh. The grizz look extremely tough (even better than last year) since you have to stop both Gay and Randolph now. Plus I think Arenas and Speights can easily replace Arthur/Vasquez and really the only thing that one could argue they'll be missing from last year is Battier's experience and toughness. But overall they are all more experienced now and don't appear to be lacking in latter category either.

TheSkeptic
04-07-2012, 03:01 AM
Well, the lakers appear to be the next most likely team to remain where they are (at #3) so if the spurs tanked to get #2 they would most likely face the lakers in the 2nd round assuming they get past their 1st round opponent.

Pick your poison. I'd rather face the lakers tbh. The grizz look extremely tough (even better than last year) since you have to stop both Gay and Randolph now. Plus I think Arenas and Speights can easily replace Arthur/Vasquez and really the only thing that one could argue they'll be missing from last year is Battier's experience and toughness. But overall they are all more experienced now and don't appear to be lacking in latter category either.

I hate that it's come to this but I have to agree with you.

The Lakers look dysfunctional on their best days and I feel like if Tim/Blair/Bonner/Diaw can somewhat limit their bigs and Leonard can goad Kobe into chucking, then the series would work in San Antonio's favour.

Memphis on the other hand, would probably employ the same strategy they used last time. Personally, I don't really see a reason why last season's strategy wouldn't work with a few tweaks for them. Z-bo is back, and like you say that team is more experienced and they're putting it together. Revenge isn't worth it to me because we're still weak inside.

TJastal
04-07-2012, 03:01 AM
Here's my up-to-date "scary list" of teams in the order I would not want to face them:

1. Memphis
2. Houston
3. LA Lakers
4. OKC
5. Den
6. Dal
7. Phoenix
8. LA Clippers
9. Utah
10. Port

TheSkeptic
04-07-2012, 03:14 AM
Here's my up-to-date "scary list" of teams in the order I would not want to face them:

1. Memphis
2. Houston
3. LA Lakers
4. OKC
5. Den
6. Dal
7. Phoenix
8. LA Clippers
9. Utah
10. Port

I would probably switch Denver with OKC and place LAC a little bit higher but I more or less agree with this list.

therealtruth
04-07-2012, 03:19 AM

The Spurs want the teams that plays the least amount of defense.

TJastal
04-07-2012, 03:33 AM
I would probably switch Denver with OKC and place LAC a little bit higher but I more or less agree with this list.

Den scares you the most huh? What exactly?

I myself would welcome them as a 1st or 2nd round opponent. Easy pickings since that trade where they lost Nene. So far McGee hasn't looked like a fit with that team at all and Chandler has less basketball IQ than Blair. All in all, a much less scarier team now IMHO.

TheSkeptic
04-07-2012, 03:43 AM
Den scares you the most huh? What exactly?

I myself would welcome them as a 1st or 2nd round opponent. Easy pickings since that trade where they lost Nene. So far McGee hasn't looked like a fit with that team at all and Chandler has less basketball IQ than Blair. All in all, a much less scarier team now IMHO.

Not the most. Just more than OKC. :lol

I would agree with your points, except that George Karl is a really good coach. His history of making knuckleheads play organized ball is enough to make me cautious. I mean, Denver didn't even have Nene and Gallo when they came to San Antonio and beat us. Nene's gone but Gallo would probably give the Spurs even more problems.

Overall they're deep, they're athletic, they'll know how to exploit the Spurs' weaknesses, and I just like the way Karl runs things. He adjusts faster than Popovich and he really knows how to get more out of his players. Between that and the fact that we'd be counting on Blair and Bonner I just don't think they'd be an easy out.

OKC on the other hand, is exactly the kind of team the Spurs can comfortably beat with their depth and experience. They seem kind of cocky and while Fisher is a concern, with proper rotations and enough game planning I think the Spurs take that series without too much trouble. Call me crazy but Westbrook inspires that kind of confidence in me. That and we also know that Blair is not going to be a complete liability against this team so that's a little less babysitting Tim is going to have to do.

TJastal
04-07-2012, 03:51 AM
Not the most. Just more than OKC. :lol

I would agree with your points, except that George Karl is a really good coach. His history of making knuckleheads play organized ball is enough to make me cautious. I mean, Denver didn't even have Nene and Gallo when they came to San Antonio and beat us. Nene's gone but Gallo would probably give the Spurs even more problems.

Overall they're deep, they're athletic, they'll know how to exploit the Spurs' weaknesses, and I just like the way Karl runs things. He adjusts faster than Popovich and he really knows how to get more out of his players. Between that and the fact that we'd be counting on Blair and Bonner I just don't think they'd be an easy out.

OKC on the other hand, is exactly the kind of team the Spurs can comfortably beat with their depth and experience. They seem kind of cocky and while Fisher is a concern, with proper rotations and enough game planning I think the Spurs take that series without too much trouble. Call me crazy but Westbrook inspires that kind of confidence in me. That and we also know that Blair is not going to be a complete liability against this team so that's a little less babysitting Tim is going to have to do.

Didn't think of the Karl angle. You're right, that could be problematic. And Gallinari/Harrington are really tough covers for the turds. West is gettin' scarier and scarier as the season winds down. Alot of really good teams starting to establish themselves as potential contenders now: Mem, LA, Den, Hou, Phoenix.

TheSkeptic
04-07-2012, 04:09 AM
Didn't think of the Karl angle. You're right, that could be problematic. And Gallinari/Harrington are really tough covers for the turds. West is gettin' scarier and scarier as the season winds down. Alot of really good teams starting to establish themselves as potential contenders now: Mem, LA, Den, Hou, Phoenix.

Yeah. I really hadn't expected teams like Houston and Denver to play this well to be honest. Phoenix is another surprise to me as well. As for the Lakers, I keep saying I wouldn't mind playing them but visions of Bonner or Blair guarding Bynum and Gasol keep running through my mind. That and Miami and Chicago are exactly the type of teams that have had San Antonio's number for the last several seasons.

I'm not convinced but I'm really hoping that Diaw can be that difference maker. Though I feel uneasy in general with the direction the Spurs are headed. Can't quite put my finger on why...

100%duncan
04-07-2012, 04:34 AM
Anyone know the h2h of clips vs mem this season? I assumed and am hoping that la wins their playoff matchup tbh.

mudyez
04-07-2012, 05:28 AM
Does it really make sense NOW to think about that?
The running is to close...If we tank games to create a "nice path" we might loosing this path to OKC, skrewing ourselfes and so on.
IMO, you can think about something like that with like 3 games left but right now, we just need to win as often as possible:
- coz hca is the surest thing we know right now
- it would be easier to tank 1-2 games later, than needing wins at this point

As for matchups: LAK, MEM, DAL and OKC are the only teams that scare me and we will meet two of them anyway...and I dont care who it will be!

$pursDynasty
04-07-2012, 06:56 AM
Dream scenario and very possible
#1 Spurs
#2 OKC
#3 LAL
#4 Clippers
#5 Mavs
#6 Memphis
#7 Houston
#8 Denver
This would put Memphis and LAL in the OKC half of the bracket which would be a dream scenario for the Spurs. That being said I am not trying to duck any team just admitting that matchup wise the Grizz and the Lakers are the most worrisome matchups for this Spurs roster, we are stacked but are not stacked with quality bigs.

100%duncan
04-07-2012, 07:49 AM
The running is to close...If we tank games to create a "nice path" we might loosing this path to OKC, skrewing ourselfes and so on.
IMO, you can think about something like that with like 3 games left but right now, we just need to win as often as possible:

As for matchups: LAK, MEM, DAL and OKC are the only teams that scare me and we will meet two of them anyway...and I dont care who it will be!

Point well made. But it does makes sense because the next games are the teams that we want and not want to face come playoffs. I also didnt say to tank too much and I also said it would be nice to clinch west hca.

thispego
04-07-2012, 08:12 AM
100%Duncan with the scared thread :lol

Play for the best seed, whoever we play, we play. This team is too talented to tank or try to manipulate the seedings. Don't play scared lil bro :rolleyes

Bruno
04-07-2012, 08:29 AM
Lakers and Thunder are the two most dangerous teams. Spurs should try to put both on the other side of the bracket.

While it's almost a given that Spurs and Thunder won't potentially face before the WCF since they should share the #1 and #2 seed, it's more complicate for the Lakers. Spurs will face Lakers 3 times. If Spurs win 2 or 3 of these games, they have a good shot at being #1 but Lakers could slip to #4. If Spurs lose 2 or 3 of these games, Lakers should hold into #3 but Spurs could slip to #2.

Slutter McGee
04-07-2012, 08:50 AM
No sense trying to manipulate seeding by tanking unless there are only one or two games left. Too many unknowns at this point.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

acoelho1
04-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Exactly! We should simply focus on getting the #1 seed period. Also, I know Houston has given us fits in the reg season but give me a break. In the playoffs, they would be toast against us. On the other hand, OKC, is very dangerous with the Durant and Westbrook combo and they will be our toughest challenge in my opinion. I think Memphis is stronger than the Lakers or Dallas but it would be nice payback in the 2nd round. The only apprehension to playing them is they are very physical and we would be pretty banged up after that series.

Mr Fundamental
04-07-2012, 10:12 AM
I want Houston.

Without K-Martin and Lowry they couldn't go hard on us. They look good now but when playoff time comes they'll miss Lowry and Martin.

Our bench is too deep for Houston.

In the semis Clippers could be dangerous. Memphis would be fine. This year we can beat them.

JRHernandez88
04-07-2012, 10:39 AM

Exactly. At this point are rotations are so deep that we can try and win every game up to the end. We're still gelling as a team also and need work on our rotations. Tanking will do no good right now seeing how close the bottom seeds are, we're just Gona have to wait it out. Besides we still have lots of Basketball to play.

Mel_13
04-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Game 64 is on Monday, April 23rd at home v. Portland

Game 65: Wed, Apr 25 @ PHX

Game 66: Thurs, Apr 26 @ GS (late game on TNT)

Round 1/Game 1: Sat, Apr 28 or Sun, Apr 29

If we're lucky enough to get through Game 64 with the Big 3 healthy, then I leave them in San Antonio for the last two games. If it was allowed, I'd keep the whole team back and let the Toros play those last two games. I don't care what seeding possibilities still remain.

DPG21920
04-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Game 64 is on Monday, April 23rd at home v. Portland

Game 65: Wed, Apr 25 @ PHX

Game 66: Thurs, Apr 26 @ GS (late game on TNT)

Round 1/Game 1: Sat, Apr 28 or Sun, Apr 29

If we're lucky enough to get through Game 64 with the Big 3 healthy, then I leave them in San Antonio for the last two games. If it was allowed, I'd keep the whole team back and let the Toros play those last two games. I don't care what seeding possibilities still remain.

:lol pretty much agree. I still wonder if it's possible to outright forfeit games?

But ideally being healthy and avoiding LA/OKC until a possible WCF match up is great & dream would be avoiding MEM altogether.

100%duncan
04-07-2012, 11:07 AM

Play for the best seed, whoever we play, we play. This team is too talented to tank or try to manipulate the seedings. Don't play scared lil bro :rolleyes

C'mon thispego :lol. Don't we all want an easy path to cloud nine?

100%duncan
04-07-2012, 11:38 AM
I know that it's risky to do it now but my point is we have the next 2 games against a potential first round opponent which we would really like to face them in the PO and we have a game against Lakers too. I guess tanking the last 2 games won't affect the seedings at all assuming we already clinched number 1 or in terms of who we face in the first round,.

TJastal
04-07-2012, 11:40 AM

Apparently not all do. They want the absolute toughest path to the finals because apparently it adds at least an inch to your e-penis.

100%duncan
04-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Apparently not all do. They want the absolute toughest path to the finals because apparently it adds at least an inch to your e-penis.

Word.

hooperflash
04-07-2012, 12:10 PM

This

TJastal
04-07-2012, 12:16 PM
This

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9767/hugeepenisj.jpg

Wild Cobra Kai
04-07-2012, 12:50 PM
You keep expecting everyone to run through life scared like you, TJastal. Not doing that doesn't make you someone seeking a streched e-penis, it makes you alive.

JRHernandez88
04-07-2012, 12:52 PM
You keep expecting everyone to run through life scared like you, TJastal. Not doing that doesn't make you someone seeking a streched e-penis, it makes you alive.

Lmao

JRHernandez88
04-07-2012, 12:56 PM
This team gots my e-penis rock solid right now though to be honest. I'm packin some serious heat these days:makemyday:makemyday

thispego
04-07-2012, 02:13 PM

Well sure, but which championship was more satisfying? 2005 (toughest opponents ever) or 2007 (weakest opponents ever lol jazz and cavs wcf and finals opponents)? Both 'ships mean the same but 2005 was much sweeter

justinandimcool
04-07-2012, 02:32 PM
we'll tank the Phx and GS games, which are winnable anyways without Tim/Manu.

other than that i see some rest days on winnable games a la last week when Pop sit out guys one at a time.

Mugen
04-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Pretty hard to tank games with as much depth as they have, tbh.

FromWayDowntown
04-07-2012, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't discount the possibility that Memphis finds its way into the 3rd seed. They're 2 back of LA in the loss column and the Lakers hold the tiebreaker. But Memphis has a pretty favorable schedule (opponent-wise) the rest of the way -- of their remaining 12, they have: 8 at home; of their 4 road games, 3 are at New Orleans, Charlotte, and Minnesota (the other is at SA); they have 8 home games, but only play 1 team (Orlando) that has a winning record on the road.

By contrast, the Lakers have 6 of their last 10 on the road and their 4 home games are mostly against teams that are pretty good on the road -- Denver, SA, Oklahoma City, and the Dallas Enigmas.

DPG21920
04-07-2012, 02:57 PM
I just hope the Spurs only have to beat one of okc/lakes/grizz pref in the wcf

jmanu20
04-07-2012, 03:34 PM
I don't want to see Houston in the first round. That team has given us all kinds of problems this year.

I still find the Lakers overrated (of course I'll have a better assessment when they play the Spurs), Gasol has regressed, Bynum has scored well but will derail the team with his antics, so Kobe would have to try the hero-ball approach, which we all know doesn't work. Plus, they might have the worst bench out of any of the current 8 playoff teams.

The Clips don't impress me. They're a collection of high athleticism, low bball IQ players. Spurs have beaten them 2 out of 3 times, and the one Clips win was without TP and needed 33 from Mo friggin Williams.

Except for the one loss in OKC, the Spurs appear to have the Thunder's number.

The Mavs just don't seem to have it this year. Even with West back they're still losing to teams they shouldn't be losing to (e.g. an ALWAYS depleted Blazers team).

The Nuggets could also present a problem for the Spurs. They have a lot of athletes like the Clippers but Coach Karl has them playing some smart basketball. If they get healthy entering the playoffs they would be a very tough out.

Finally, the Grizzlies. Not having Arthur, Battier, or Vasquez will be difference makers. The Gasol/Randolph combo will still be tough to defend but with the Spurs depth this year I like the Spurs chances much better this year.

gambit1990
04-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Dream scenario and very possible
#1 Spurs
#2 OKC
#3 LAL
#4 Clippers
#5 Mavs
#6 Memphis
#7 Houston
#8 Denver
This would put Memphis and LAL in the OKC half of the bracket which would be a dream scenario for the Spurs. That being said I am not trying to duck any team just admitting that matchup wise the Grizz and the Lakers are the most worrisome matchups for this Spurs roster, we are stacked but are not stacked with quality bigs.

it would be fantastic the thunder, lakers, and grizzlies were in the same half of the bracket.

this is the best scenario imo:
#1 spurs
#2 thunder
#3 lakers
#4 clippers
#5 nuggets
#6 grizzlies
#7 mavericks
#8 rockets

maverick1948
04-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Why are so many afraid of Lakers? After watching the Rockettes kicking their butts last night, I dont see them being as much a factor as some make them. The only team I have a problem with is the Clippers, with the darling pussy Blake Griffin and all the free calls he gets. I think he would find life a little less enjoyable once SJax gets a clean shot at him.

100%duncan
04-07-2012, 09:35 PM
I just hope the Spurs only have to beat one of okc/lakes/grizz pref in the wcf

Cant_Be_Faded
04-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Should spurs tank the two upcoming games against the jazz and the THREE.games we play d
Versus the Suns? By doing so we could potentially dethrone the reigning champs without actually playing them :lol

TheSkeptic
04-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Should spurs tank the two upcoming games against the jazz and the THREE.games we play d
Versus the Suns? By doing so we could potentially dethrone the reigning champs without actually playing them :lol

...That would be simply delicious. :lol

ajballer4
04-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Mavs lose again. They are currently in the 8 spot now

JRHernandez88
04-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Interestinggg

jmanu20
04-07-2012, 10:45 PM
I now definitely think the Spurs should tank one, if not both, games against the Jazz to help push the Mavs closer to the 9th spot. Mavs have Sacramento and Golden State next so Spurs tanking the Jazz games would keep the Jazz hot on the Mavs' tails.

Josepatches_
04-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Memphis could end 3rd. Today the Clippers could be tie with the Lakers... Standings can change a lot in the west.

And honestly there is no team to avoid this year. It's not like the Lakers were strong as hell. We should be ready to beat all the teams. We are better than last year where we had the 1st seed but we didn't expect to win. This year we seem to be as good as best teams. Nobody is gonna tank to face us.

Let's go to grab the 1st seed and let's see what happens

therealtruth
04-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Grizzlies are surging at the right time.

WeNeedLength
04-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Nobody's tanking in the west this year unless its the last week of the season :lol

100%duncan
04-08-2012, 12:21 AM
Mavs in the first round would be dangerous as hell. Hope they somehow get 6 or 7 th seed and not 8th.

letmk
04-08-2012, 01:29 AM
I don't believe in the idea of positioning for a "good" opponent. The most important thing is we stay healthy and maintain the momentum. Historically, hot team might be a better indicator for championship than the best-record team -- of course, hot with an overall record like 48-34 does not cut it, but a hot 55-27 team might have better chance than a 60-22 team.

But if we ever want to entertain the idea of choosing teams, we should try to beat the Lakers in all three games to help the Clippers to go up to No.3, then tank the last few games to go down as No.2.

Therefore, we can have Thunder, Lakers and Grizzlies at 1,4 and 5. And with the rest at the end of regular season, we won't become too tired from competing for No.1 with the Thunder.

Gutter92
04-08-2012, 01:45 AM
It doesn't matter who we face, as long as we're 100% come playoff time and Pop has the rotation set, as in not playing Blair/Bonner a majority of the minutes as our bigs, we'll be fine.

therealtruth
04-08-2012, 02:14 AM
Manipulating seeding is a good way to anger the basketball gods.